WDAY Coverage

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

WDAY Coverage

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 pm

What does everyone think of the new coverage from WDAY? Much better in my opinion. Just wish they'd get announcers that new more about Class B, but KVLY struggled with that the last few years, too. Student Athlete of Year instead of Senior Player of the Year and saying that Flasher was the #7 seed are some pretty obvious early mistakes.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: WDAY Coverage

Postby OKCfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:48 pm

I'm unable to watch it, who are the announcers?
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:56 pm

Just caught that it is Dave Nelson (old MPCG coach) and Dom Izzo. Must have been Izzo with those mistakes, Dave should be able to correct him. He's a class B guy all the way.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Big Blue » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:29 pm

Dom had several noticeable mistakes in that first half IMO. They talked about the seeding briefly, but didn't describe it whatsoever and Dom mentioned that since Oak Grove is the two seed Flasher is the seventh seed which isn't the case at all. I think Izzo has a good voice and is enthusiastic. He just doesn't know Class B Basketball the way he should and Nelson is a bit camera shy. Not bad so far, but I prefer KVLY's announcing (that includes the state football title games too). But on the positive side, the HD looks great and the camerawork seems tighter!
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Not impressed with the announcers at all!! Dave is very camera shy and stutters a lot.. Dom is good at play by play, but doesn't know a lot about class b basketball...
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby KG4MVP » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:00 pm

I think overall it's better than KVLY. Announcers were mediocre first game..HD is way better though!
KG4MVP
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Sweeney is in there now for game two. Much better.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:51 pm

HMB fans are livid on twitter right now because it just says "Linton" on the TV scoreboard.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby TheOneTheOnly » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:52 pm

What's the cost for a single day pass vs three day pass?
TheOneTheOnly
NDPreps Reserve

Postby luckyinlife » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:12 pm

How awesome is it to get to watch the game streamed on the web? Apparently everyone is doing the same as me. The seats are almost empty.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:10 pm

I think it looks much better visually. Finally, something made for a modern television. It just doesn't look right in the Alerus however, with the stands so far from the court. It looks empty.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Postby rains32 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:38 pm

It's just not the B without Jon Cole!
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:33 pm

It's already miles ahead of KVLY because of the HD alone. I think Sweeney and Izzo are good, Nelson is a nice complement as one of the state's best coaches ever (I think people down south would get a kick out of hearing him he has quite the Norske accent). So far I've liked the side stories with the Kretchman brothers and interview with Beyer, the winningest coach of all-time. Only complaint I have so far is not having the shot-clock on the screen, and of course no Jon Cole.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby rains32 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:06 pm

Thye got the shot clock going. All and all it's been good. Just takes some getting used to.
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby stir the pot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:30 pm

I can live with out John Cole
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby westriver bison » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:23 pm

I could live without Pat Sweeny
westriver bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:00 pm

I think Coach Nelson offers some insight into the strategy of the game that the KVLY guys never could figure out. He talks about the pace of the game and tells you what defense a team is in. He also is good when it gets down to the end of the game with possible strategies that teams might be employing and who they might be looking to get the ball to.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:09 pm

I agree. I enjoyed hearing his perspective in all the games from a guy who has been there and done that. I also liked that they switched the other two up each game. I thought both Izzo and Sweeney were good to listen to, but liked that Nelson was there for each game with his input.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Hinsa wrote:I think Coach Nelson offers some insight into the strategy of the game that the KVLY guys never could figure out. He talks about the pace of the game and tells you what defense a team is in. He also is good when it gets down to the end of the game with possible strategies that teams might be employing and who they might be looking to get the ball to.

From what I got to listen too I agree with you. He was talking about adjustments the coaches were making and gave a little insight on what the officials are looking for too.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:38 pm

I haven't had time to listen to much of the TV coverage, but I did hear them refer to Weston as NS's top scorer. Kvilvang is the top scorer.

I still prefer Hammer and Timmerman, but Sweeny is good. And anyone is better than Jamal Spencer.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Big Blue » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:50 pm

First off, I thought everything looked great yesterday especially in HD!! For a first time, I thought it was very strong overall. On the announcing front, I felt Sweeney and Nelson were very good together. Pat did a great job leading Dave and asking questions to get more of a coaching perspective. Nothing against Izzo, he's a very good announcer with a nice voice and strong presence. But he did not seemed very well versed on the teams, Class B or really basketball rules at all. Due to that, he and Dave seemed a bit off, but I am sure it will get better with time! The only other thing I missed was another sideline reporter (preferably Jon Cole). I liked it when they would talk to parents who had previously played at the state tournament. I also miss having a reporter talking to a player from the team that didn't win. For whatever reason, I always thought it was nice to have Jon or someone encourage the player and tell them that they nothing to hang their head about. But as a whole, the telecast has been an upgrade in several ways! Good job to all involved.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby MTfan4life » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:10 pm

Dom Izzo bothers me because he speaks with so much confidence even when he's clearly wrong. He kept talking about Rugby having 72 years of hunger. Well guess what Dumb Izzo, Rugby won the state A title in 1962!! I thought Nelson provided good knowledge, but I'd rather read his blog or write up. He just didn't have the timing or the voice for sportscasting. Yes, I'd rather have any over Jamal Spencer, but I do miss Timmerman and the graphics. What was that terrible music they were playing during the North Star vs. Beulah starting lineups??? I thought I was playing an old Nintendo game!

All in all, it felt like they were kind of half-donkeying the whole thing.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:14 pm

I like the games in HD...best part of WDAY!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ninja_joe » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:51 pm

WDAY is struggling with occupying the INSANELY long delays between games. It's nearly 9pm for start of the North Star vs. Rugby game. WDAY should have taken the time to preview each of the teams in the State B. Or at least some of the top players from around the state. That would be so much better than listen to the announcers try to fill time by blabbing away about nothing in particular. I remember when each school participating would have a segment on their home towns, interviews with community members, & with coaches/members of team.

John Cole needs to give the Schafer guy (WDAY's sideline man) some pointers. Maybe Cole should take him out for a few beers & teach him the ropes about doing half time interviews with the coaches. John Cole's keys to success--never, ever ask any questions...just get up in whoever's face he is talking to with the mike, MAKE A STATEMENT, & put the mike in your face!! That is how it's done!

I like Nelson as the color guy as he definitely sees the game from a coach's perspective. Other than him, the tournament really could use a guy like Lee Timmerman--who has a real feel for what has gone on throughout the year & knows the history of the game.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby leroybla » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:00 pm

Tonite WDAY is also broadcasting a Minnesota tournament from Moorhead featuring Battle Lake and Moorhead Park Christian. Winner goes to state. I expect that staffing two big tournaments would stress any station's resources.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys