2013-14 State Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2013-14 State Tourney

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

I guess I'm just from the school of thought that you should cheer for your own team, not against someone else. I guess not a lot of people listen when they read the sportsmanship message at the start of games.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:16 pm

http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/CodeofConduct.pdf

**FUNDAMENTALS OF GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP
1. Know, appreciate and understand the rules of the contest.
2. Show respect for the officials. Good Sportsmanship implies the willingness to accept and abide by the decisions of the officials.
3. Show respect for the opponent at all times. Good Sportsmanship is the Golden Rule in action.
4. Recognize and appreciate the skill of performance regardless of team affiliation.
5. Maintain self control at all times. Good Sportsmanship is a responsibility of all who are involved in the game.
6. Show a positive attitude in cheering, refraining from intimidation or negative cheering. Good Sportsmanship is cheering your own team “on to victory”.

**FANS SHALL:
1. Refrain from throwing any object onto the playing floor or in the stands.
2. Refrain from behavior deemed dangerous or which interferes with the rights of others to watch the game.
3. Refrain from possessing, consuming or being under the influence of chemicals.
4. Refrain from use of obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures, signs, posters or banners which show disrespect for opponent’s team, officials, cheerleaders, band or other performing groups.
5. Refrain from the use of artificial noisemakers.
6. Refrain from entry onto the playing surface.

Under the Sportsmanship Code...I see nothing wrong with a little noise during FTs; the game.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby lovwatchingsports » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/CodeofConduct.pdf

2. Show respect for the officials. Good Sportsmanship implies the willingness to accept and abide by the decisions of the officials.
3. Show respect for the opponent at all times. Good Sportsmanship is the Golden Rule in action.
4. Recognize and appreciate the skill of performance regardless of team affiliation.
5. Maintain self control at all times. Good Sportsmanship is a responsibility of all who are involved in the game.
6. Show a positive attitude in cheering, refraining from intimidation or negative cheering. Good Sportsmanship is cheering your own team “on to victory”.

**FANS SHALL:
2. Refrain from behavior deemed dangerous or which interferes with the rights of others to watch the game.
3. Refrain from possessing, consuming or being under the influence of chemicals.
4. Refrain from use of obscene, profane or abusive language or gestures, signs, posters or banners which show disrespect for opponent’s team, officials, cheerleaders, band or other performing groups.

Under the Sportsmanship Code...I see nothing wrong with a little noise during FTs; the game.

could be in #3 or #6 if you read it right, are you showing respect ? and you could be trying to intimidate or be cheering negatively.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby baloncesto » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:36 pm

This could just be me because I am from a different era, but what is wrong with a little badgering of the other team? I used to love it when opponents fans did this when i was playing. It almost seemed to get us even more fired up. For example, I attended the State A and when Jacobson was struggling in the first half the Minot crowd chanted "overrated" repeatedly. It brought a smile to Jacobson's face and she immediately went off on a big scoring stretch. She seemed to thrive on that. I used to think that it meant the game more intense and almost more meaningful, so to speak, as it fired us up to hear that. I understand how times have changed, but I loved that stuff when I used to play.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:http://www.ndhsaa.com/files/CodeofConduct.pdf

**FANS SHALL:

could be in #3 or #6 if you read it right, are you showing respect ? and you could be trying to intimidate or be cheering negatively.

I agree with Run. I think you are reading it wrong Lovewatchingsports. People, please cheer, please be loud, please yell when my favorite players are shooting free throws. It creates an atmosphere that makes the game fun.

I grew up in a class B town and played on some very good teams. My friends from other communities all said we had rude obnoxious fans. For the most part all of those friends said their was no place that they enjoyed playing more, including their own gyms.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:04 am

I'm in favor of the yelling during FTs.

I remember a 6th grade girls tournament in Linton. Championship gave was vs Linton in their 2nd gym. Late in the game we were down 1 and we had a girl shooting 2 FTs. That little gym was going nuts trying to make that girl miss her FTs. She sank both of them.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby pigplet » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Flip wrote:I'm in favor of the yelling during FTs.

I remember a 6th grade girls tournament in Linton. Championship gave was vs Linton in their 2nd gym. Late in the game we were down 1 and we had a girl shooting 2 FTs. That little gym was going nuts trying to make that girl miss her FTs. She sank both of them.

Why were you doing playing in a girls game Flip? :lol:
pigplet
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:54 pm

It was my school.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys