State Seeding Projections

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

State Seeding Projections

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 am

I'll take a quick stab....

1. Rugby 25-0
2. Cavalier 23-1 (taking for granted they don't get upset)
3. Oak Grove 23-2
4. New Town 20-2

Drawn in: LHMB 20-4, North Star 18-7, Flasher 20-4, Beulah 19-5
Last edited by EHS1998 on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Re: State Seeding Projections

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:19 am

what would it look like if Grafton pulls the upset tomorrow night...who's next likely to get seed?
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:24 am

LHMB or Flasher I would think.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:01 am

Random draw teams listed in order of strength (IMO)

IF Cavalier wins
1. Rugby 25-0
2. Cavalier 23-1
3. Oak Grove 23-2
4. New Town 20-2

Linton-HMB 20-4, Beulah 19-5, Flasher 20-4, North Star 18-7

IF Grafton wins
1. Rugby 25-0
2. Oak Grove 23-2
3. New Town 20-2
4. Linton-HMB 20-4

Beulah 19-5, Flasher 20-4, Grafton 17-7, North Star 18-7
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MTfan4life » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:48 am

I really hope that doesn't happen. Seeding based upon record would be a big setback this season as region 8 has been really down this season. New Town does not deserve a seed, imo. I'd put Beulah or Linton or even Flasher ahead of them. Beulah roughed New Town up this season and NT's other loss came against New England. Linton has strong wins against Beulah and Dickinson Trinity. Flasher took down Shiloh 3 different times. Heck, even North Star would have better wins.

I'd go:
Rugby
Cavalier (being 2 or 3 really has no difference)
Oak Grove
Linton-HMB

or if Grafton wins
Rugby
Oak Grove
Linton-HMB
Beulah
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:28 am

I think you have to go by record...

Ok my team made it in...now what. It's friday morning, Do I need to take next thursday off from work, do I need a motel, kids to school, daycare??? When will I know??? Thanks region 2...
I would have had all these answers if someone didn't see a need to muck it up...must be volleyballs fault...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:24 am

scc wrote:If Cavalier wins...
1. Rugby
2. Cavalier
3. Oak Grove
4. Beulah

If Grafton wins...
1. Rugby
2. Oak Grove
3. Beulah
4. New Town

Beulah has won 16 straight and played a solid schedule. Yes, they lost to Linton-HMB, but that was in their first game of the season.

Sorry but I dont think you can just throw away a head to head result because "it was the first game of the season". LHMB played a pretty solid schedule as well.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:36 am

Is there an updated RPI on the remaining 9 teams?
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:05 pm

Interesting. Perhaps LHMB deserves a top 4 seed regardless of the Cavalier - Grafton result.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:11 pm

I wouldnt put much thought into RPI #2,6,7,8, arent even in the tourney and the seperation is null

with that said I would seed
if cav wins
rugby
Cav
OG
Flasher
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 pm

winner-within wrote:I wouldnt put much thought into RPI #2,6,7,8, arent even in the tourney and the seperation is null

with that said I would seed
if cav wins
rugby
Cav
OG
Flasher

I could see this.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:18 pm

justplayalready wrote:I think you have to go by record...

Ok my team made it in...now what. It's friday morning, Do I need to take next thursday off from work, do I need a motel, kids to school, daycare??? When will I know??? Thanks region 2...
I would have had all these answers if someone didn't see a need to muck it up...must be volleyballs fault...

Volleyball has nothing to do with it. Region 2 is played at the Betty in Grand Forks and UND had a home men's game Thursday night, so Region 2 championship was pushed back a day.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:11 pm

Hinsa wrote:

Volleyball has nothing to do with it. Region 2 is played at the Betty in Grand Forks and UND had a home men's game Thursday night, so Region 2 championship was pushed back a day.

So the rumors that I heard that the seeding system was put into place because some volleyball player's parents were complaining their child did not get exposed to college recruiters during the sunshine bracket was obviously false??? :mrgreen:
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:01 pm

justplayalready wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

So the rumors that I heard that the seeding system was put into place because some volleyball player's parents were complaining their child did not get exposed to college recruiters during the sunshine bracket was obviously false??? :mrgreen:

I was not addressing that rumor at all. Only the reason why Region 2 had to have their championship for boys on Friday.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:07 pm

justplayalready wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

Yes that is false. I spoke to one of the AD's that went to the District chair meeting where they essentially proposed the idea of seeding the tournament and it had little to nothing to do with volleyball. It was basically done as a result of not having what essentially could be the two best or two worst teams playing each other in the first round as we all have witnessed in BBB, GBB and VB - that was the main reason, and essentially from what he said, the only reason why they are trying the seeding out. To try and make the tournament(s) more valid and exciting. He made no mention of the rumor you heard - so I'm assuming that is just what it is - a rumor.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby windex » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:01 pm

1:00 pm: #2 Oak Grove vs. Flasher
2:45 pm: #3 Cavalier vs. Linton/HMB
6:30 pm: #1 Rugby vs. New Town
8:15 pm: #4 Beulah vs. North Star
windex
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:56 am

I like the pairings...I think there are some intriguing matchups coming next week. I really like the nightcap of Beulah vs. North Star...little rematch of 2012 :)

Oak Grove gets the only unknown in the tourney in Flasher (unknown meaning a newer team to the mix).

Can't Wait until Thursday now...anxious, anxious, anxious :)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby duh » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I agree how do u seed Beulah higher than linton when they have a worse record and beat them head to head
duh
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:33 pm

duh wrote:I agree how do u seed Beulah higher than linton when they have a worse record and beat them head to head

again head-to-head was 1st game of the season...a lot has changed since then. SOS and the last month may have played a part in it. I would have to guess that Beulah, Linton, New Town & Flasher were all considered for the 4 seed
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby DBA » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:28 pm

Linton might have a case against Beulah but I doubt New Town recieved too much consideration for that spot. Beulah laid it on them pretty good when they played during the year
DBA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:32 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:again head-to-head was 1st game of the season...a lot has changed since then. SOS and the last month may have played a part in it. I would have to guess that Beulah, Linton, New Town & Flasher were all considered for the 4 seed

What is the criteria for seeding?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:37 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:again head-to-head was 1st game of the season...a lot has changed since then. SOS and the last month may have played a part in it. I would have to guess that Beulah, Linton, New Town & Flasher were all considered for the 4 seed

What is the criteria for seeding?

Its voted on by the coaches of State Tourney teams (I believe highest and lowest 'rank' gets discarded).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:14 am

my point is where does it say the last game of season should have more meaning than the first game? what about injuries? Lets say Kretchman misses 5 games in the middle of the season and OG goes 0-5 in those games, but steamrolls their way into the state tournament by beating their remaining opponents by a 30 point average when he comes back? Is their any guideline the coaches should follow when seeding these teams?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:35 am

BB11 wrote:
justplayalready wrote:
Hinsa wrote:

That comment was tongue in cheek...a jab as the NDHSAA for making a change. Why??? for maybe a more competitive tourney? A year after what may have been one of the recent best as far as competitive tourneys?
It just seems to me that they make a change without looking at the entire picture. But try to solve one or two complaints that may or may not be valid. Now we are left with questioning the validity of how these teams were seeded, I think the likelyhood of an outcome that validates this specific seeding is and always will be slim...Now we have an argument that something controllable was done wrong. Didn't have that before.

What's next? The complaint that the best 8 teams aren't at the B? There are good arguments for that each year...much better than what two teams may have to face each other in a fixed bracket due to respective region number. Do we go to a 16 team???

Again if it's not overly broke don't fix it.

Just venting...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Return to Boys