Vertical

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Vertical

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:24 pm

to back off of the pressure of the tourns coming, lets talk inches in the vertical jump or leap whatever ya call it

we talk about Dunks but who's feet get the Highest off the floor and

the two most explosive jumpers in the NE corner are definitely Chrest-Cav and Volk-NB
both IMO, have to be squeakin in on 35"

Contreras-graf also has a good verticle
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Vertical

Postby sportsphenom » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:22 pm

Olson- Lamoure, one of the best leapers I've seen, only 6'1 but jumps like he's 6'6-6'7.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:25 pm

sportsphenom wrote:Olson- Lamoure, one of the best leapers I've seen, only 6'1 but jumps like he's 6'6-6'7.

saw him at state last year....unreal
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:07 pm

what made me think of this thread was John Wall's dunk sat night in the dunk off...whoa!
you dont have to be 6'7" to dunk..lol
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 pm

Jesse "The Float" Vote. winner, he's not a player, but is an assistant coach. The guy has dropped 55+ from his college football days, and is getting ready for a marathon this summer. Watched him playing pickup ball last night. He's looking fast, agile and has monster hops. Who says, "What goes up, has to come down?" 8)
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:47 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Jesse "The Float" Vote. winner, he's not a player, but is an assistant coach. The guy has dropped 55+ from his college football days, and is getting ready for a marathon this summer. Watched him playing pickup ball last night. He's looking fast, agile and has monster hops. Who says, "What goes up, has to come down?" 8)

I believe that...its not possible to stay up even 1 second (sports science) but some guys make it look like they can fly...haha...fun stuff

The Hyper-Physics site at Georgia Tech tells me that to attain a vertical airtime of 1 full second, a person would have to have a vertical launch velocity of almost 11 miles per hour, and have the bottoms of their feet reach just over 4 feet off the ground at the peak of flight.

so when they said Spud Webbs vert. was 48" Dominic Wilkens was 48" and Jordans was 44"...all amazing leapers, they still came in at .9 something seconds ..wth
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:02 am

Casey Walcker from Beulah is around 42". James Richman from
Maple Valley is 35".
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 am

balla45 wrote:Casey Walcker from Beulah is around 42". James Richman from
Maple Valley is 35".

It isnt that I dont believe you Balla...but I'd have to see it to believe it...Wow.. :)
serious ups!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:15 am

winner-within wrote:
Maple Valley is 35"

It isnt that I dont believe you Balla...but I'd have to see it to believe it...Wow.. :)
serious ups!

Have heard young Mr. Richman can touch the top of the bank board. At 6'-7", his wingspan and the 35" vertical, it makes sense.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:23 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Maple Valley is 35"

serious ups!

Have heard young Mr. Richman can touch the top of the bank board. At 6'-7", his wingspan and the 35" vertical, it makes sense.

sounds wild...wheres his Chris Paul point guard for some serious ally-oops... :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

I really doubt he can do that.

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 am

winner-within wrote:
Maple Valley is 35".

serious ups!

Casey Walcker is one of the most impressive dunkers I have ever seen in North Dakota, maybe the most impressive. He played for us 2 years ago as an 8th grader and could windmill. Again, windmilling as an 8th grader.

In summer basketball, you are allowed to dunk in warm ups. Richman and Weisbeck did some absolutely ridiculous things for us.

This doesn't show a maximum vertical, but here is a typical Richman tip slam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vop5cJCrexg

Here are 2 of Weisbeck's best dunks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=613Dpg7nWQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0sjth_k1s

I don't have any video of Walcker.

And this is just a random dunk video, but here is the best 8th grade basketball player I have ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rol85KIukFE
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:43 am

Flip wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Pre-ACL tear he could touch the top of the white box. Actually isn't the rarest thing. I saw Esley Thorton do that as well. Heard Olson gets up around there too, but I have not personally witnessed it.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:46 am

Flip wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Was thinking the backboard was at 12' when it is really 13'. 9' (min.) reach plus 36" hops, would have made sense.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:51 am

balla45 wrote:
Flip wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:

Pre-ACL tear he could touch the top of the white box. Actually isn't the rarest thing. I saw Esley Thorton do that as well. Heard Olson gets up around there too, but I have not personally witnessed it.

If this is true than Olson's vertical must be quite a bit more since he is giving up quite a few inches in height.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby RebelsThunder » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

sportsphenom wrote:Olson- Lamoure, one of the best leapers I've seen, only 6'1 but jumps like he's 6'6-6'7.

I just saw him last night at districts he got a alley oop dang near touched the top of the square but couldn't handle the pass and earlier this year he had a sweet block of the back board on some guy from North Sargent s lay up it was just unreal!!
RebelsThunder
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 pm

all great points and very good stuff...remember over 30" vertical is very rare in HS
..even at the NFL combine CorDarelle Patterson (vikings receiver) had a 34" vert.
... we had a device we made in shop class in HS that we attached to the brace that went out and held up the Hoop...It had swinging sticks we painted different colors that represented 9 feet to 10.5 feet...6 sticks
standing right underneath (like they do at the combine) you jump up and see what one you can get to swing...10' 6" is tough...real tough..I will never forget it was Yellow... :D

I could consistently get the 10'3" green haha... but the yellow one just once in a while...

some guys are 2 feet leapers Blake Griffin .. some sky off 1 (LeBron)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby beachy » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:09 pm

D'angelo had a great block although got called a goal tending and this is the highest I have seen him get up. Pretty good for the end of 4th quarter after a long game..

beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 pm

In my experience one of the best leapers I saw in class b basketball and even improved after getting to college was Allen Dvorak of Minto. I think he had around a 40 inch vertical and with his long arm had some impressive dunks in college basketball. There were many small guards that played back I can think of that had some serious leaping abilities too because they get above rim to rebound and block shots too I experienced.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby east sider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 pm

balla45 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
Maple Valley is 35".

serious ups!

Casey Walcker is one of the most impressive dunkers I have ever seen in North Dakota, maybe the most impressive. He played for us 2 years ago as an 8th grader and could windmill. Again, windmilling as an 8th grader.

In summer basketball, you are allowed to dunk in warm ups. Richman and Weisbeck did some absolutely ridiculous things for us.

This doesn't show a maximum vertical, but here is a typical Richman tip slam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vop5cJCrexg

Here are 2 of Weisbeck's best dunks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=613Dpg7nWQg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp0sjth_k1s

I don't have any video of Walcker.

And this is just a random dunk video, but here is the best 8th grade basketball player I have ever seen.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rol85KIukFE

Looks like Weisbeck has some great hops. How would you compare him athletically and skills to Arvidson from RR a few years ago?
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby east sider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:03 pm

BTW, Richman's video didn't work for me
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:04 pm

east sider wrote:BTW, Richman's video didn't work for me

me either.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:04 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:In my experience one of the best leapers I saw in class b basketball and even improved after getting to college was Allen Dvorak of Minto. I think he had around a 40 inch vertical and with his long arm had some impressive dunks in college basketball. There were many small guards that played back I can think of that had some serious leaping abilities too because they get above rim to rebound and block shots too I experienced.

Grant's dad by chance?

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:06 pm

I will move Richman's video from facebook to youtube later. I forgot that my profile was private. My apologies.

Weisbeck and Arvidson. Actually pretty similar. I think Weisbeck is a better pure scorer but not as good of a shooter. They are pretty similar in that they score going right really, really, really well. Weisbeck has a better middle game where I think Arvidson is more deadly from deep. Actually are very similar players and athletes. Ben is a lot bigger as far as total body strength at the same time though.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:26 pm

balla45 wrote:I will move Richman's video from facebook to youtube later. I forgot that my profile was private. My apologies.

Weisbeck and Arvidson. Actually pretty similar. I think Weisbeck is a better pure scorer but not as good of a shooter. They are pretty similar in that they score going right really, really, really well. Weisbeck has a better middle game where I think Arvidson is more deadly from deep. Actually are very similar players and athletes. Ben is a lot bigger as far as total body strength at the same time though.

Weisbeck is a 2 feet jumper I see...as he gets older he will get his timing down better...hes doing a little stutter to get it right...he is truly a good jumper though..How tall?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys