Dist. 8 Upset/Controversy

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Dist. 8 Upset/Controversy

Postby noles4ever » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Understand a mild upset in District 8, Rolette-W over st. john in semi's with a storm the court controversy at the end. I was not there only heard second hand account, anyone that was there care to elaborate. Sounded pretty disheartening if you are a St. John Woodchuck, also throws a wrench into the Region 4 Tourney balance.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Re: Dist. 8 Upset/Controversy

Postby woodchuck10 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:40 pm

Wasn't at the game either but I don't see any controversy in storming the court after beating the number nine team in the state and a district championship and a regional birth locked up. Also they won on a last second three after being down by as much as 25 from what I heard.

As for the wrench in the region 4 tourney, I think if SJ wins Monday they still wouldn't see FW till championship night (as long as FW beats NRS)
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:56 pm

I didn't have the radio on until just AFTER the game ended. Kulland said something about a possible travel no-call before the RW player made the winning 3-pointer. Can anyone elaborate on that?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:32 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:Wasn't at the game either but I don't see any controversy in storming the court after beating the number nine team in the state and a district championship and a regional birth locked up. Also they won on a last second three after being down by as much as 25 from what I heard.

As for the wrench in the region 4 tourney, I think if SJ wins Monday they still wouldn't see FW till championship night (as long as FW beats NRS)

Yep you are correct. It just means NS & SJ could see each other on semifinal night. The "wrench" thrown is that both NS & SJ now can avoid FW until at least the Title game...instead of one of them having to face them in the semis (this scenario I'm talking about only works though if NS def. RW on Monday)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby noles4ever » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:23 am

I was under the impression they stormed court at the shot clock buzzer with 3 seconds left and not the game buzzer. Also, IF St. John wins against Rolla, and IF North Star beats Rolette, and IF Four Winds beats NR-S then said wrench is thrown in my mind. In said scenario, Four Winds is aided by the upset as they would have North Star or St John doing the dirty work of knocking the other off and having a relatively easier semifinal night. I know, a lot of speculation involved, but that is why this website is so much fun.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:36 am

What station has the games today?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby uspsrt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:59 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:What station has the games today?

Could someone clarify for me who plays who and at what time in the Region qualifiers. The local radio station has reported that Rolla is playing Benson County at 6.00 PM, while folks here seem to be saying that Rolla is playing St. John.
uspsrt
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:06 pm

DISTRICT 8
@ Rolla HS
February 14, 15 & 17

Friday, February 14th
G1: #4 Rolette-Wolford def. #5 Munich-Starkweather 55-50
G2: #2 North Star def. #7 Langdon 74-25
G3: #3 Benson County def. #6 Rolla 55-42

Saturday, February 15th
G4: #6 Rolla def. #7 Langdon 55-40
G5: #4 Rolette-Wolford def. #1 St. John 78-77
G6: #2 North Star def. #3 Benson County 63-48

Monday, February 17th
Region Qualifier: #3 Benson County (10-11) vs. #5 Munich-Starkweather (7-13) 4:30
Region Qualifier: #1 St. John (17-3) vs. #6 Rolla (5-16) About 6:00.
Championship: #2 North Star (14-7) vs. #4 Rolette-Wolford (10-11) About 7:30.
Think these are the approximate times.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:41 pm

uspsrt wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:What station has the games today?

Could someone clarify for me who plays who and at what time in the Region qualifiers. The local radio station has reported that Rolla is playing Benson County at 6.00 PM, while folks here seem to be saying that Rolla is playing St. John.

Rolla cannot be playing Benson County again...it is Rolla vs. St. John (as bracket above shows)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby panthercub » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:10 pm

Radio station is 95.7FM
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:29 pm

Crazy game with rolla and St. John. Rolla controlled most of the game but couldn't pull it out in the end. Crazy last couples minutes with 2 techs call and tight to the final buzzer.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:34 pm

techs on who? for what?
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:45 pm

Rolla coach got one for arguing a call and a kid from SJ got one later for throwing the ball at the feet of a Rolla kid after a hard foul.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 am

From what I heard on saturday there was a five second differential between shot and game clock and after Rolette made the three at the shot clock buzzer a few fans ran onto the court but weren't in the way of the game play. SJ was able to get the ball up the court for a last second shot but missed.

As for tonights games WOW Rolla came to play. Looked like a totally different team from the regular season. If SJ plays like they did tonight they'll be one and done in DL. The Tech on the SJ kid sounds a lot worse when you say it than it really was, he got fouled and was going out of bounds and basically kept playing basketball and threw the ball at the Rolla kids legs so it would be out of bounds on him but the whistle had already blew. Right call "technically" speaking.

I think Rolla and Rolette will be reconsidering their possible co-op after this tournament. Both teams return quite a bit next year.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:49 am

If Rolla and Rolette return quite a bit, why would they be considering a co-op? Schools don't co-op just to have a good team for a year, they do it to have enough numbers for many years.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:57 am

ndlionsfan wrote:If Rolla and Rolette return quite a bit, why would they be considering a co-op? Schools don't co-op just to have a good team for a year, they do it to have enough numbers for many years.

Some schools have co-ops that happened for that reason
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:04 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:If Rolla and Rolette return quite a bit, why would they be considering a co-op? Schools don't co-op just to have a good team for a year, they do it to have enough numbers for many years.

Its been in talks by both school boards. Turtle Mountain Star has had a few articles about it recently. A few years ago they discussed it but if I remember right a Rolette town meeting prevented it. It seems like its not declining enrollment but more of declining participation.

Maybe my statement seemed like I think they should co-op? No I don't think they should.

I think its just funny that they would co-op after Rolette beat the #1 team in the District and Rolla had them on the ropes the entire game and are both fairly young. Could you Imagine their girls team if they co-op? That would really help our (SJ) struggling girls program.

Again I do not know what their numbers are like but I have heard some of the younger grades in Rolla had quite a bit of kids
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Return to Boys