pickem early!?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

pickem early!?

Postby sportsking » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:23 am

Here it is. Thought I would see who people believe will make the big dance before the tourneys actually start.

Region 1 I think Oak Grove gets past Milnor .

Region 2 Cavalier

Region 3 Linton in a close one with Lamoure

Region 4 FW-M

Region 5 Shiloh

Region 6 Rugby

Region 7 Hazen

Region 8 New Town

Just thought it would be fun to put it out there and see where we are at when it comes time for the State Tourney and who is actually in it. Whats your picks?? Lets see who has the picks to match what makes it.
sportsking
NDPreps Starter

Re: pickem early!?

Postby noles4ever » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:13 pm

I am fairly positive my picks will be totally an utterly wrong, so in order to save some face and be captain obvious on valentine's day I am going to list the teams, that in my opinion, have a chance and then select my winner from those:

Region 1- Oak Grove, Milnor, Kindred, Central Cass- 2 top shelf and 2 lower shelf but this is my upset pick, KINDRED
Region 2- Cavalier, Grafton- I thought earlier that grafton had a shot but now am of the opinion that cavalier is head and shoulders above everyone else CAVALIER (I just died a little bit in side when I typed that)
Region 3- Linton-HMB, Strasburg-Zeeland, Lamoure- Carr is a great coach and is clutch in the post season BUT, i just have a feeling- LAMOURE
Region 4- Four Winds-M, St. John, North Star- The hotels are booked and the buses are gassed up but I think, as last year we have an upset here, North star is a year away, so it is not them but after having to beat the 2 from district 8 in the semis four winds runs out of gas in the championship to the 3-pt casting- ST. JOHN
Region 5-Shiloh-SHILOH- enough said
Region 6-Rugby, Des Lacs, Berthold, Ryan, Our Redeemer's- whoever wins this one should get an extra trophy, wowzers, gotta go with the team that has impressed me the most this year though- RUGBY
Region 7- Hazen, Beulah, New England, Dickinson Trinity- uff da, another tough one- Dickinson always plays really well late and that is coaching. but we already have shiloh, too many private's sucks- HAZEN
Region 8- New Town, Watford City, Parshall, North Shore-Plaze- This is my sentimental, class B forever, small town, Hoosiers hopeful pick- NORTH SHORE-Plaza

Just for giggles lets go a step further with a seeded tourney of my picks:

1. Rugby -vs- 8. North Shore-Plaza= Rugby big, BIIIIIGGGGG
4. Cavalier -vs- 5. St. John = barn burner, but St. John lives and dies by the 3, and shooting with no background hurts this area of the game the most, Cavalier
2. Shiloh -vs- 7. Kindred= Kindred squeaked by to get in, that only works so far, Shiloh
3. Hazen -vs- 6. Lamoure= best game of the night and Hazen in quadruple overtime and game gets over at 2:30 a.m.
Semi's
Rugby -vs- Cavalier Heidelbaugh is > any 2 Cavalier players, game, set, match Rugby
Shiloh -vs- Hazen= Playoff to be the sacrificial lamb in the final, plus Hazen played quadruple overtime the night before and are really tired, I'll take Shiloh

Championship
Rugby -vs- Shiloh= Rugby in a rout.

Before you blast me, this is all in good fun, remember that, and if my seeding is wrong, oh well, it was fun analyzing.:)
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:33 pm

noles4ever wrote:I am fairly positive my picks will be totally an utterly wrong, so in order to save some face and be captain obvious on valentine's day I am going to list the teams, that in my opinion, have a chance and then select my winner from those:

Region 1- Oak Grove, Milnor, Kindred, Central Cass- 2 top shelf and 2 lower shelf but this is my upset pick, KINDRED
Region 2- Cavalier, Grafton- I thought earlier that grafton had a shot but now am of the opinion that cavalier is head and shoulders above everyone else CAVALIER (I just died a little bit in side when I typed that)
Region 3- Linton-HMB, Strasburg-Zeeland, Lamoure- Carr is a great coach and is clutch in the post season BUT, i just have a feeling- LAMOURE
Region 4- Four Winds-M, St. John, North Star- The hotels are booked and the buses are gassed up but I think, as last year we have an upset here, North star is a year away, so it is not them but after having to beat the 2 from district 8 in the semis four winds runs out of gas in the championship to the 3-pt casting- ST. JOHN
Region 6-Rugby, Des Lacs, Berthold, Ryan, Our Redeemer's- whoever wins this one should get an extra trophy, wowzers, gotta go with the team that has impressed me the most this year though- RUGBY
Region 7- Hazen, Beulah, New England, Dickinson Trinity- uff da, another tough one- Dickinson always plays really well late and that is coaching. but we already have shiloh, too many private's sucks- HAZEN
Region 8- New Town, Watford City, Parshall, North Shore-Plaze- This is my sentimental, class B forever, small town, Hoosiers hopeful pick- NORTH SHORE-Plaza

4. Cavalier -vs- 5. St. John = barn burner, but St. John lives and dies by the 3, and shooting with no background hurts this area of the game the most, Cavalier
2. Shiloh -vs- 7. Kindred= Kindred squeaked by to get in, that only works so far, Shiloh
3. Hazen -vs- 6. Lamoure= best game of the night and Hazen in quadruple overtime and game gets over at 2:30 a.m.
Semi's
Rugby -vs- Cavalier Heidelbaugh is > any 2 Cavalier players, game, set, match Rugby
Shiloh -vs- Hazen= Playoff to be the sacrificial lamb in the final, plus Hazen played quadruple overtime the night before and are really tired, I'll take Shiloh

Championship

Before you blast me, this is all in good fun, remember that, and if my seeding is wrong, oh well, it was fun analyzing.:)

Hey not bad, actually some dialogue and input! I agree on one point for sure Rugby has been impressive all year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:58 pm

I'm going to go with

Milnor
Cavalier
Lamoure
FWM
Flasher
Rugby
Hazen
New Town

Not going to try to state tournament like noles as they only seed the top 4 and who knows who they will pair up with. Rugby, Milnor, FWM, Cavalier are my top seeds in that order.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndclassbb » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:17 pm

I have to say that I loved, loved, loved reading noles4ever assessment of what may potentially happen in the future for the remainder of the 2014 Boys Class B basketball season in ND ...hysterical :D
By the way, I hope you're right!
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND-is-#1 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:20 pm

Region 1 - Oak Grove
Region 2 - Cavalier
Region 3 - Lamoure
Region 4 - FWM
Region 5 - Shiloh
Region 6 - Rugby
Region 7 - Hazen
Region 8 - New Town

I think Rugby is the favorite, but I have a feeling someone at state will pull off the upset and beat them.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:03 pm

Region 1 - I am going to avoid Region 1 for now.
Region 2 - Cavalier (two team race)
Region 3 - LaMoure-LM (everyone's healthy and eligible now...L-LM has the pieces just in time)
Region 4 - Four Winds-Minn. (SJ & NS just don't have enough to slow FW-M)
Region 5 - Flasher (has been right with Shiloh all year and has proven they can beat Shiloh)
Region 6 - Rugby (It comes down to Rugby & DL-B)
Region 7 - Beulah (getting hot now and gets through NE, DT & Hazen)
Region 8 - New Town (this region seem wide open though)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:40 pm

Region 1 Milnor - Bussman and Mund are too much.
Region 2 Cavalier - No one in this region will challenge them.
Region 3 Not picking this one but will say that there are a number of teams capable of making a run.
Region 4 FW-M - Too much depth and talent for anyone in this region to compete with.
Region 5 Flasher - Flasher pulls off the upset.
Region 6 Rugby - Panthers continue to roll. DLB will be in the mix but Rugby takes it.
Region 7 DT - When in doubt, go with the private school.
Region 8 New Town - Could be anyone but NT is the best bet.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:46 am

Region 1 - Milnor, I just can't see Bussman and Mund losing in their region tourney.
Region 2 - Cavalier, Crest, Robbins both very talented plus from what I have heard it is a weaker region.
Region 3 - Linton, good program, good coach, always good around tourney time.
Region 4 - FW-M, watched them last year at state and was impressed.
Region 5 - Flasher, veteran team, Krenz and Schmidt are a tough guard combination.
Region 6 - Rugby, Heidlebaugh is the best player in the region, beat DLB good earlier in the season too.
Region 7 - Beulah, looks like they are starting to click as a team, would not be surprised if Hazen or New England came out of this region.
Region 8 - New Town, have no clue about this region, just a guess.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:48 pm

noles4ever wrote:I am fairly positive my picks will be totally an utterly wrong, so in order to save some face and be captain obvious on valentine's day I am going to list the teams, that in my opinion, have a chance and then select my winner from those:

Semi's

Championship

there is no possible way that a team rated 4th in State with no losses to a team from their home State and is "head and shoulders above the rest" (which I personally wouldn't state) cant have 2 players on it that don't compare to 1 from Rugby....I personally think that that is severely contradicting to your analysis, not to mention untrue IMO ......I'd like to see Cavalier against Rugby today...I'm sure they're ready....I think Rugby would have a real tough time with Milnor too if played today....and it is "all in good fun".. 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby noles4ever » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:18 pm

I am sorry again, winner, I thought I was clear on the fact that those were the comments within that region not the state. I think cavalier is head and shoulder above everyone else IN THAT REGION, state wise, no.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndclassbb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:50 pm

I wouldn't say that 1 player from Rugby is better than 2 from Cavalier either. I do however, recall having read a thread previously on this site that stated Rugby lost to Grafton in the state tournament last year which is not true. Actually, Rugby beat Cavalier in the state tournament last year by 18 points. I feel that Rugby is as ready for Cavalier as Cavalier is for Rugby right now... which one would hope for 2 outstanding teams that that have just reached the end of a very successful regular season and are just entering tournament time.
Obviously, Rugby's win last year means nothing at this point since that was then and this is now. Cavalier is a very good team and it is possible that Cavalier would pull off the win against Rugby this year. I would love to see this game. Hopefully, this transpires at the state level. I guess then we could all quit guessing.
I think it's great that so many individuals participate in this forum. Everyone has a right to their own opinions as long as the communication remains respectful of others which I feel has been the case in regards to this thread.
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:59 pm

noles4ever wrote:I am sorry again, winner, I thought I was clear on the fact that those were the comments within that region not the state. I think cavalier is head and shoulder above everyone else IN THAT REGION, state wise, no.

certainly no need to apologize...I totally knew you were referring to Region 2...and I still dont believe that....
why? ..because nobody in the 8 Regions is head and shoulders above anybody come the 3erd night of regions.....Not even the 8 top seeds, not even this day in age in Class B (I state this cause of how some think its lopsided) not even when you have defending champs and undefeated teams and, and...well you know what I mean...I've been to a couple Region Tourns in my day, I remember, listening to a few on the old am radio when we couldn't afford to go and I woulda died to have been there.....you can put Class B back into Class B in your own mind...How? just know how tough it is to get there...It takes alot of hard work and resiliency ....It amazes me how the younger think "its easy"..."its a given"...yep Thats exactly how life is...OK maybe not.. :) ..
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:06 pm

winner-within wrote:
noles4ever wrote:I am sorry again, winner, I thought I was clear on the fact that those were the comments within that region not the state. I think cavalier is head and shoulder above everyone else IN THAT REGION, state wise, no.

certainly no need to apologize...I totally knew you were referring to Region 2...and I still dont believe that....
why? ..because nobody in the 8 Regions is head and shoulders above anybody come the 3erd night of regions.....Not even the 8 top seeds, not even this day in age in Class B (I state this cause of how some think its lopsided) not even when you have defending champs and undefeated teams and, and...well you know what I mean...I've been to a couple Region Tourns in my day, I remember, listening to a few on the old am radio when we couldn't afford to go and I woulda died to have been there.....you can put Class B back into Class B in your own mind...How? just know how tough it is to get there...It takes alot of hard work and resiliency ....It amazes me how the younger think "its easy"..."its a given"...yep Thats exactly how life is...OK maybe not.. :) ..

just to clarify whats bold and colored...I am referring to the predictors not the players...the players playing sense the challenge...some of the innocent by-standers think its cut and dried
Last edited by winner-within on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby MTfan4life » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:34 am

Anyways...

Instead of picking who I think will win each region, this would be my runner-up state tournament.

1. Milnor
Watford City
4. Larimore
North Star
2. Des Lacs-Burlington
Flasher
3. Hazen
Lamoure-LM
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:56 am

MTfan4life wrote:Anyways...

Instead of picking who I think will win each region, this would be my runner-up state tournament.

1. Milnor
Watford City
4. Larimore
North Star
2. Des Lacs-Burlington
Flasher
3. Hazen
Lamoure-LM

Larimore won a ton of close games during the season/lost to the 7th seed in district 3 during the season/got beat in the district semis. I think grafton is the clear #2 from district 3.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:57 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:

1. Milnor
Watford City
4. Larimore
North Star
2. Des Lacs-Burlington
Flasher
3. Hazen
Lamoure-LM

Larimore won a ton of close games during the season/lost to the 7th seed in district 3 during the season/got beat in the district semis. I think grafton is the clear #2 from district 3.

Sorry meant region 2.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootball4444 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:30 pm

Sniper wrote:Region 1 - Milnor, I just can't see Bussman and Mund losing in their region tourney.
Region 2 - Cavalier, Crest, Robbins both very talented plus from what I have heard it is a weaker region.
Region 5 - Flasher, veteran team, Krenz and Schmidt are a tough guard combination.
Region 6 - Rugby, Heidlebaugh is the best player in the region, beat DLB good earlier in the season too.
Region 7 - Beulah, looks like they are starting to click as a team, would not be surprised if Hazen or New England came out of this region.

Very good picks here. I see Shiloh and Flasher fighting out that Region 5 spot. Beulah, Trinity, always coached and mentally ready at the end of the season. Hazen is very athletic but never finishes the season out at all against Beulah or Trinity. Hazen doesn't play theyr best ball at the end. New England is in the mix also with athletic kids.
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:44 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

1. Milnor
Watford City
4. Larimore
North Star
2. Des Lacs-Burlington
Flasher
3. Hazen
Lamoure-LM

Sorry meant region 2.

Not so fast my high-walking friend. I think District 3 is stepping up their game at just the right time. The Distric 3 games between the top 5 seeds have been close, very entertaining, and some excellent basketball is being played. I don't know if they can beat Cavlier, but I certainly think District 3 can beat any of the other teams in District 4.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:49 pm

Hinsa wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:
Flying Wallenda wrote:

1. Milnor
Watford City
4. Larimore
North Star
2. Des Lacs-Burlington
Flasher
3. Hazen
Lamoure-LM

Sorry meant region 2.

Not so fast my high-walking friend. I think District 2 is stepping up their game at just the right time. The Distric 2 games between the top 5 seeds have been close, very entertaining, and some excellent basketball is being played. I don't know if they can beat Cavlier, but I certainly think District 2 can beat any of the other teams in District 3.

Oh I think HCV/Larimore/MPCG/HN could probably beat Grafton, I just find it very unlikely. I don't think any team in region 2 can beat Cavalier unless they catch some major lightening in a bottle.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndfootball4444 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:56 pm

Sniper wrote:Region 1 - Milnor, I just can't see Bussman and Mund losing in their region tourney.

Yup... this could very well be the state set-up. Shiloh will give a run at Flasher. Beulah goes, they take out Dickinson Trinity. Milnor wants to go back again.
ndfootball4444
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys