Langdon-Munich Co-op

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Langdon-Munich Co-op

Postby Collegehoops2k8 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:46 pm

Not sure if this has been discussed but saw an article in the Grand Forks Herald
Here is the link-- http://www.grandforksherald.com/content/area-notebook-co-ops-approved-munich-and-langdon-prep-basketball
Collegehoops2k8
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Langdon-Munich Co-op

Postby jimor » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 am

It is unfortunate, it will leave only 1 team in Cavalier County. My opinion on what is hurting the high school programs, is that kids from both Langdon and Munich are involved in the club hockey program which is doing really well. It's just hard to find enough athletes.
jimor
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:28 am

Munich-Starkweather, both as separate schools and together, have always had a rich basketball tradition. Sad to see it end.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:23 pm

The coop on boys side is still not going to improve Langdon's team much for next year. Only a few boys from Munich left after this year. The girls side of the coop will be improvement for Langdon in that they have a good group of young girls playing now and Munich has couple of 8 th graders that are going to make impact as well as few returning starters from this team. I would expect Langdon improve next year with coop and couple years be one contending teams for Region 4. Its really to bad that numbers for all teams up here between the Valley and Oil fields have seen continuing enrollment declines and closures of schools. Between Langdon and Rolla is 60 miles and neither school is very large anymore with Rolla around 80 in high school and Langdon at about 125 in high school. Also like somebody said the Club hockey has become Langdon Area sport of choice for the kids. They do very good job of developing sport in that organized play from grades 1 all way up to high school. Basketball doesn't start until 4th grade and season is very short and limited compared to hockey which starts in late October early November and runs until March. Also greater number kids get to play in game compared to basketball.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Unity77 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:53 pm

It's so disheartening to watch these small towns lose their identity because of co-ops. Knowing Langdon once had over 1,500 kids in its school district and is now struggling to stay alive with about 340 is so sad. :(

If only northeastern ND towns could catch a break like the western part of the state.
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:44 am

Unity77 wrote:It's so disheartening to watch these small towns lose their identity because of co-ops. Knowing Langdon once had over 1,500 kids in its school district and is now struggling to stay alive with about 340 is so sad. :(

If only northeastern ND towns could catch a break like the western part of the state.

I am from around Langdon country and I dont think its sad, Its reality, and reality is if you surveyed the people the last thing they would want is an oil field and or an influx of strangers...
North Dakotans have to realize that its the big farms and smaller family's that made this happen and its a good thing in the sense that "time marches on"...and Hockey is a big thing in Langdon now....its a huge thing in Grafton PR (has been for ever)...and its going to get bigger with Oshie in Sochi and if they get the Gold....roll with it and make it the best..

In the book "North Dakota a spiritual geography" ...the author has a quote "not accepting change doesnt bring back the past, it prevents the future"...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm

I think attitude is changing up here people want to see growth and people living here raising families. I am sure there are people that say they don't want oil boom but there's a lot of people that want some growth and new businesses that can be good for the economy. The future for us is figure out to create jobs and reasons for people to live here. The idea of were just farms and that's it, has to change we have much more going for us than that and it begins with schools and communities. Look across the border they are growing and finding ways to keep there kids here plus having people move in. Were in biggest game of all here in rural ND to change attitudes of people here and create new future for generations to come we kind of lost that spirit from forefathers who built this up from nothing but I do believe I see change starting and I only hope we can get it accomplished.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:27 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:I think attitude is changing up here people want to see growth and people living here raising families. I am sure there are people that say they don't want oil boom but there's a lot of people that want some growth and new businesses that can be good for the economy. The future for us is figure out to create jobs and reasons for people to live here. The idea of were just farms and that's it, has to change we have much more going for us than that and it begins with schools and communities. Look across the border they are growing and finding ways to keep there kids here plus having people move in. Were in biggest game of all here in rural ND to change attitudes of people here and create new future for generations to come we kind of lost that spirit from forefathers who built this up from nothing but I do believe I see change starting and I only hope we can get it accomplished.

Like I told the Mayor of Winkler.."your on the right side of the Border" lets say we had the Colonys and Religions and we lived in a Country where the one right next to us wanted everything built out and brought in...well then we'ed be prospering from that scenario.....Canadas side of the border is a Cultural its evolved for 150 years into what it is between Winnipeg and the Border...and yes they got it going on but thats because we are right south of them.

with that said I like your Optimism...I will go on to say that in the RR Valley (where I've been now since 1985 its a bit different than on the Hill where I grew up Economy might be a little more stable but we are still shrinking in enrollments....Like I said before Fargo is 120,000 people up from 50,000 25 years ago...and If you shake hands all day there asking where you from? you will here every small town in ND.. :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm

winner-within wrote:
Unity77 wrote:It's so disheartening to watch these small towns lose their identity because of co-ops. Knowing Langdon once had over 1,500 kids in its school district and is now struggling to stay alive with about 340 is so sad. :(

I am from around Langdon country and I dont think its sad, Its reality, and reality is if you surveyed the people the last thing they would want is an oil field and or an influx of strangers...
North Dakotans have to realize that its the big farms and smaller family's that made this happen and its a good thing in the sense that "time marches on"...and Hockey is a big thing in Langdon now....its a huge thing in Grafton PR (has been for ever)...and its going to get bigger with Oshie in Sochi and if they get the Gold....roll with it and make it the best..

In the book "North Dakota a spiritual geography" ...the author has a quote "not accepting change doesnt bring back the past, it prevents the future"...

Bingo. This my be the best post I've ever seen from you winner - and pretty much what I was going to post myself :D . It's a fairly easy pattern to follow: increased farming efficiency=bigger farms=less farmers=decrease in rural population and schools. Instead of the eastern rural community waiting to catch a break, they need to try and create the break.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby Unity77 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:57 pm

winner-within wrote:

When I stated catch a break like the western part of the state, I didn't mean with oil, but business(es) that would help stabilize the local economies and communities.

As far as hockey is concerned, I know Langdon has club hockey. Is the district considering a move to the high school level through a co-op?
Unity77
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:07 am

Unity77 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

When I stated catch a break like the western part of the state, I didn't mean with oil, but business(es) that would help stabilize the local economies and communities.

As far as hockey is concerned, I know Langdon has club hockey. Is the district considering a move to the high school level through a co-op?

I dont know anything about their Hockey program.......The Wind Farm did help up in the Langdon country and was a big part of getting a new Track to run on...as good as Langdon has been in track all these years they hadnt had a track meet there in years...Their town is doing just fine IMO, its just the demographics have changed so much...actually probably more deaths than births in Cavalier County (alot of old folks)

when a class of lets say 30 kids graduates in NE ND on average, I bet only 5 of them stay around home ..you could start 10 new businesses in any of the counties up north and the first thing they would run into is a shortage of help....so do folks move in? nope because the pay is not going to be good enough to attract.
Like I said before..I can think of 4 scenarios where a new school should be built for 7 through 12 grades and the kids should be under one roof....the demographics would keep that building occupied for ever but the ones that are emptying out and closing will never be filled again no matter how many businesses are brought in.....you see, the business in Cavalier, Walsh, Pembina counties, IS FARMING...and its a HUGE business, they help feed the world.... :P
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys