Mr. Basketball - 2014

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Mr. Basketball - 2014

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:21 pm

east sider wrote:Congrats to Tanner Kretchman. I don't think there will be too many complaints about this one. From watching the state tournaments A and B he was definitely the best player in the state this year. Anybody know which schools recruited him. I hope UND/NDSU did because I think he could help out any school in the area.

MSUM
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:11 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
east sider wrote:Congrats to Tanner Kretchman. I don't think there will be too many complaints about this one. From watching the state tournaments A and B he was definitely the best player in the state this year. Anybody know which schools recruited him. I hope UND/NDSU did because I think he could help out any school in the area.

MSUM

Thanks! Actually already knew that, but was trying to get a feel for the talent UND and NDSU are looking at and trying to get. I know NDSU was very happy to get Jacobson last year, but when was the last time someone from ND under 6' got recruited by either school. Guess I was hoping they both recruited him and it was his decision to pick MSUM over the other ones. I'm no pro scout, but like I said before I believe this kid would help any program in the area and to me it would be a shame if he didn't get offers from them.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:40 pm

I think his lack of size hurts him... I think if he's a few inches taller and a little stronger they would be all over him. He definitely has the stroke for D-1 just not the size IMO.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:51 pm

ND-is-#1 wrote:I think his lack of size hurts him... I think if he's a few inches taller and a little stronger they would be all over him. He definitely has the stroke for D-1 just not the size IMO.

I'm not sure about UND, but I know NDSU feels pretty comfortable with their guards and wings. The Bison need size.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:11 am

east sider wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:

MSUM

Thanks! Actually already knew that, but was trying to get a feel for the talent UND and NDSU are looking at and trying to get. I know NDSU was very happy to get Jacobson last year, but when was the last time someone from ND under 6' got recruited by either school. Guess I was hoping they both recruited him and it was his decision to pick MSUM over the other ones. I'm no pro scout, but like I said before I believe this kid would help any program in the area and to me it would be a shame if he didn't get offers from them.

just saying, you would not have to be a pro scout to locate a college recruit player.....and to "help" a program would determine in what way....the college scene has changed quite a bit in ND in the last even 5 years....Kids are picking and choosing much more practical and smart IMO and some aren't even going out...the more offers might be flattering and coming from UND or NDSU does put you in the big leagues of this area I'm sure, but realistically its going to take size to get there....its just the way it is...
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:40 am

Kretchman vs. Boschee.

Both have/had:

Quick Trigger. Good off the dribble. Quick first step. Range. Smooth. Ball handling above average. Good jumper and shoots at peak. Haven't watched Kretchman enough this year to compare defense. What are your thoughts?
Last edited by classB4ever on Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:51 am

classB4ever wrote:Kretchman vs. Boschee.

Quick Trigger. Good off the dribble. Quick first step. Range. Smooth. Ball handling above average. Good jumper and shoots at peak. Haven't watched Kretchman enough this year to compare defense. What are your thoughts?

Kretchman is a good player don't get me wrong, but he's not on the same level as Boschee.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 am

Like I've said before Boschee wouldn't get recruited to Kansas this day in age....he would have his hands full with the likes of a Taylor Braun or Troy Huff IMO on an overall game.....and Kretchman isn't in the conversation with a Braun or Huff or Boschee....but Kretchman is a stud
Last edited by winner-within on Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:01 am

In today's game, you're probably right.
Kretchman's shooting reminds me of Boschee's from back then though. The one thing Jeff had was a very "short memory". He could miss 4 in a row and come back and hit 5 straight. Never lost confidence. Let's face it, he was at Kansas for his shooting/play making. Quick to his peak with a quick trigger and unreal range. That's what I think is so similar in their games. Now you have to have that, with size as well.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:03 am

classB4ever wrote:In today's game, your probably right.
Kretchman's shooting reminds me of Boschee's from back then though. The one thing Jeff had was a very "short memory". He could miss 4 in a row and come back and hit 5 straight. Never lost confidence. Let's face it, he was at Kansas for his shooting/play making. Quick to his peak with a quick trigger and unreal range. That's what I think is so similar in their games. Now you have to have that, with size as well.

I was going to say the same thing
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:44 am

winner-within wrote:

Like I've said before Boschee wouldn't get recruited to Kansas this day in age....he would have his hands full with the likes of a Taylor Braun or Troy Huff IMO on an overall game.....and Kretchman isn't in the conversation with a Braun or Huff or Boschee....but Kretchman is a stud

I disagree with you, I still feel he would get recruited by Kansas, sharp shooters will always have a spot in major college basketball.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:09 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I disagree with you, I still feel he would get recruited by Kansas, sharp shooters will always have a spot in major college basketball.

So you are saying that Boschee, in today's game, would still get recruited at a major for his shooting ability? I just don't see him being that much better (if any) shooter than Kretchman. IMO, it would have to be something else he (Jeff) brought to the table. Let me ask you, do you think Class A basketball in ND today, is better than in Boschee's time?
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:12 pm

winner-within wrote:Like I've said before Boschee wouldn't get recruited to Kansas this day in age....he would have his hands full with the likes of a Taylor Braun or Troy Huff IMO on an overall game.....and Kretchman isn't in the conversation with a Braun or Huff or Boschee....but Kretchman is a stud

Completely disagree. Boschee was one of the top PGs in the nation coming out of HS. Braun and Huff will both be invited to NBA camps next year, so it's pretty safe to say a lot of players would have their hands full with them.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:09 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:Like I've said before Boschee wouldn't get recruited to Kansas this day in age....he would have his hands full with the likes of a Taylor Braun or Troy Huff IMO on an overall game.....and Kretchman isn't in the conversation with a Braun or Huff or Boschee....but Kretchman is a stud

Completely disagree. Boschee was one of the top PGs in the nation coming out of HS. Braun and Huff will both be invited to NBA camps next year, so it's pretty safe to say a lot of players would have their hands full with them.

which just might put Boschee at NDSU today.....maybe for me it was just how overshadowed he was by Hinrich in Kansas for 3 years.....I really respect the kid outta Valley City though....dont get me wrong.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:17 pm

classB4ever wrote:
The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

So you are saying that Boschee, in today's game, would still get recruited at a major for his shooting ability? I just don't see him being that much better (if any) shooter than Kretchman. IMO, it would have to be something else he (Jeff) brought to the table. Let me ask you, do you think Class A basketball in ND today, is better than in Boschee's time?

I'm saying he would still get recruited period, for his whole game. Sorry should have clarified that. I meant that players of his caliber would always have a place on a major D-1 team with his ability to shoot it extremely well along with everything else he did. I do feel that Class A basketball is the same caliber as it was when Jeff played, the high end players were better during that time, but the 2-8 on most teams now are better, if that makes sense.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:21 pm

The Schwab wrote:
I'm saying he would still get recruited period, for his whole game. Sorry should have clarified that. I meant that players of his caliber would always have a place on a major D-1 team with his ability to shoot it extremely well along with everything else he did. I do feel that Class A basketball is the same caliber as it was when Jeff played, the high end players were better during that time, but the 2-8 on most teams now are better, if that makes sense.

Understood. Yes, it makes complete sense. It is strange though. Every one is generally in agreement that athletes today are bigger, stronger, faster. Especially across the US. Is ND different? I could see it in Class B where the population has dwindled. But Class A should have more bb players to choose from with the size of our largest towns increasing. Not to mention the top end players are probably doing more in the off season now compared to then, because of the increased opportunities available. I would find it odd that the high end players today wouldn't be better now then a decade+ ago.

Back to the discussion.

How would you compare the two of them:
1. Shooting the ball.
2. Defensively.
3. Overall game.
Would like to hear what part of Boschee's game set him apart. There were a few players from the past compared to him, so natural to bring Kretchman up in the same conversation. IMO, Kretchman has been the closest in shooting.
Last edited by classB4ever on Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Like Roy Williams said when he got Kirk and Jeff in the late 90's...he said, "Kids are coming to us more prepared than when I first started coaching 10-12 years ago"....I think in the last 15 years its advanced again, with AAU and ECI your 6'1" sharpshooter is now 6'5" and just as strong and quick as Jeff was....its like this, Steve Kerr (just for his shot) might not make it in the NBA if they had to start today......look at all the 1 and dones (dont like it) like Kentucky etc etc...with the magnitude and saturation of choices for coaches now days it really hits hard into the 5'11 to 6'2 men...
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:27 pm

If Phil Forte can play for Oklahoma State, Jeff could still play for Kansas
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:32 pm

The Schwab wrote:If Phil Forte can play for Oklahoma State, Jeff could still play for Kansas

If OK St. makes the final four I will agree
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:50 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:If Phil Forte can play for Oklahoma State, Jeff could still play for Kansas

OK st. was a top 10 team for some of the season, they also beat Kansas this year, they are a big time program with big time players.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:02 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

OK st. was a top 10 team for some of the season, they also beat Kansas this year, they are a big time program with big time players.

I realize that and I'm serious, If they make it down the line then I'll concede, its really the only way to end the debate using your comparison
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:13 pm

While Jeff was there KU only played in 1 Final Four and that was his senior year, so I don't know what OK st making the final four this year has to do with anything. And for anyone who's mad this has turned into a JB debate I'm sorry.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 pm

Both have/had:

This is where I was kinda going with this topic. I've seen Kretchman play in person a few times and more on TV, and I will say I think he is the best guard I've seen from ND is some time, which leads right to Boschee. I think it is fair to say the Kretchman is as good a shooter as Boschee was, and there were many reasons KU recruited him but lets be honest that was the main reason. I believe he is one of the best shooters in the country, and would find it sad if neither of the "D1" schools in the state recruited him. It's just like how one guy doesn't think Boschee would make it at KU today, and others think he would. Instead of looking at it as "Would KU still recruit Boschee?" I'm more interested in the "Should KU recruit Boschee?" Comparing Kretchman to Huff or Braun really isn't fair. There are roles to fill in college, and Kretchman most likely would never be the best player on either UND or NDSU, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a major contributor and help the team win. I think both programs missed the boat with this kid, and he was right in there backyard.
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:30 pm

east sider wrote:

Both have/had:

This is where I was kinda going with this topic. I've seen Kretchman play in person a few times and more on TV, and I will say I think he is the best guard I've seen from ND is some time, which leads right to Boschee. I think it is fair to say the Kretchman is as good a shooter as Boschee was, and there were many reasons KU recruited him but lets be honest that was the main reason. I believe he is one of the best shooters in the country, and would find it sad if neither of the "D1" schools in the state recruited him. It's just like how one guy doesn't think Boschee would make it at KU today, and others think he would. Instead of looking at it as "Would KU still recruit Boschee?" I'm more interested in the "Should KU recruit Boschee?" Comparing Kretchman to Huff or Braun really isn't fair. There are roles to fill in college, and Kretchman most likely would never be the best player on either UND or NDSU, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be a major contributor and help the team win. I think both programs missed the boat with this kid, and he was right in there backyard.

Look at Mike Felt and the role he has (i understand he is taller and bigger but still). He comes off the bench and is a knockdown three point shooter. I think Kretchman could very easily have a role like this in one of these two D1 programs.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:30 am

If he signs in November there is really nothing NDSU or UND can do. Maybe now after his senior season they're thinking they missed out on a good player, but he wasn't a can't miss player after last season IMO.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys