All-staters

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-staters

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:22 pm

I don't completely disagree with your assessment. That said, there are other players on the list who are much more offensively gifted than they are defensively, and there are players who do disappear.

If we were discussing the 5 best players in ND I think this conversation is different, but i am just talking about who I think will get All State.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby yadot » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Not sure when all the sports writers and sportscasters can submit there final vote but the meeting for all state is the Friday morning of the B boys. I'm pretty sure they have until then to have there opinion. If wrong, please correct me, but I don't think it's any secret when that meeting is
yadot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:34 pm

I am not 100% sure on how Class B works. I was informed by one of my friends who votes that he has to have his in for Class A today.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:44 pm

balla45 wrote:I am not 100% sure on how Class B works. I was informed by one of my friends who votes that he has to have his in for Class A today.

Class B BBB was in on Friday of the Tourney (I'll assume GBB Class B will be Friday of that tourney too)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:10 pm

Balla, does Richman still plan on going to UND after tearing his ACL?
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 pm

Yes. He had a planned redshirt anyway. He had his surgery a few weeks ago.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sniper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:01 pm

classB4ever wrote:
Sniper wrote:1st team (random order):
1. Heildebaugh
2. Bussman
3. Robbins
4. Holte
5. Burns

2nd Team (random order):
1. Duke
2. Lee
3. Cieslak
4. McKay
5. Mund
6. Chrest
7. Weston
8. Richman
9. Poitra
10. Kretchman

McKay will be first team. Also, no disrespect meant to any of these players, but I would change 8, 9, 10 on your list. IMHO Purintun, Kwilvang, Adams, Thielges and Braaten are ahead of all 3. All have a more rounded, complete game.

I don't believe any of those players you've mentioned could have done what Kretchman did in the state championship game. Poitra averaged 22 points, 5.7 assists, and went 85/170 (50%) from three. Richman effects the game in many ways, scoring, rebounding, and shot blocking. I understand your reasoning for those players except for Purintun. He is the second best player on his team, he is good but he didn't have the numbers to get all state.
Sniper
NDPreps All-State

Postby noles4ever » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:25 pm

Kvilvang did it in the first round against beulah, every player mentioned so far in my opinion is deserving and has the ability to go off in any given game, kretchman's championship game heroics occurred after all-state voting so that cannot be figured in the equation. His semi final game wasn't that impressive until the last 4 minutes and did not think he had that great of a quarterfinal game, in fact if I was voting a player off that team for all state after thursday is would be Adams not Kretchman.
First Team in my book:
Heidelbaugh
Holte
Mckay
Bussman
Burns

2nd team: many possibilities:
from state tourney-
Walcker
purintun
small
weston
kvilvang
robbins
chrest
schmidt
Adams
kretchman, those are just state tourney participants, not counting the richman's and mund's of the state. Glad the media picks em, I wouldn't want the task.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:51 pm

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I think that getting multiple technical fouls in a given year should make you ineligible for the all state team. Just a personal opinion.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:11 pm

noles4ever wrote:Kvilvang did it in the first round against beulah, every player mentioned so far in my opinion is deserving and has the ability to go off in any given game, kretchman's championship game heroics occurred after all-state voting so that cannot be figured in the equation. His semi final game wasn't that impressive until the last 4 minutes and did not think he had that great of a quarterfinal game, in fact if I was voting a player off that team for all state after thursday is would be Adams not Kretchman.
First Team in my book:
Heidelbaugh
Holte
Mckay
Bussman
Burns

from state tourney-
Walcker
purintun
small
weston
kvilvang
robbins
chrest
schmidt
Adams
kretchman, those are just state tourney participants, not counting the richman's and mund's of the state. Glad the media picks em, I wouldn't want the task.

No way Burns should get first team all state.. He might because of his numbers, but anyone of the guys above could score that much if they took the amount of shots he does. Some would score even more. There are no other scorers on his team, therefore he gets all the shots, which leads to a high average. One of my good friends saw him play the night he scored 45 and he wasn't impressed at all, because he took so many shots. I would be dissapointed if he made the first team.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:36 pm

ND-is-#1 wrote:
noles4ever wrote:Kvilvang did it in the first round against beulah, every player mentioned so far in my opinion is deserving and has the ability to go off in any given game, kretchman's championship game heroics occurred after all-state voting so that cannot be figured in the equation. His semi final game wasn't that impressive until the last 4 minutes and did not think he had that great of a quarterfinal game, in fact if I was voting a player off that team for all state after thursday is would be Adams not Kretchman.
First Team in my book:
Heidelbaugh
Holte
Mckay
Bussman
Burns

from state tourney-
Walcker
purintun
small
weston
kvilvang
robbins
chrest
schmidt
Adams

No way Burns should get first team all state.. He might because of his numbers, but anyone of the guys above could score that much if they took the amount of shots he does. Some would score even more. There are no other scorers on his team, therefore he gets all the shots, which leads to a high average. One of my good friends saw him play the night he scored 45 and he wasn't impressed at all, because he took so many shots. I would be dissapointed if he made the first team.

I think Burns is a 2nd Team athlete...if he even makes the team; there are so many talented athletes this year in Class B.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:15 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ND-is-#1 wrote:
First Team in my book:
Heidelbaugh
Holte
Mckay
Bussman
Burns

from state tourney-
Walcker
purintun
small
weston
kvilvang
robbins
chrest
schmidt
Adams

I think Burns is a 2nd Team athlete...if he even makes the team; there are so many talented athletes this year in Class B.

Agreed. I would assume 2nd team.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:27 am

Mckay was very good player for FourWinds and could be scoring machine but Hadley Smith impressed me much more as all around player on that team he could score and play defense plus person that made that team go. I think he's overlooked player may not scored quite as much as some players but how he played all round on both sides of ball and ran Fourwinds as point guard played big in the tournament games. I also can think of few more kids that played on some very week teams but are very good players but hard to access how good a player they were because situation they were playing in. Some of these players mentioned above sound like guns for hire going where situation is best for them not what how high school sports were suppose to work.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby noles4ever » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:16 am

0ld timer can you elaborate on your last statement, also I use to hold the same sentiment about smith as you until I watched the entire region 4 tourney, all-state players don't act like that, I am sorry.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby noles4ever » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:50 am

You may be right on Burns, I placed him there solely on numbers, which are impressive, having never seen him play. Who do you replace him with off of my list or anyone else?
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:24 am

Off your list I would say Weston or Robbins.. It's tough to say who that 5th guy will be. I'm sure Heidelbaugh, Holte, Mckay, and Bussman will be automatics.. There are numerous guys that could get the fifth spot. I would go like this...
First team
Bussman
Holte
McKay
Heidelbaugh
Robbins

Second team
Weston
Kretchman
Mund
Burns
Lee
Dukes
Schmidt
Chrest
Volk
Lindgren

Other possibilities
Small
Bachmeier
D*ck
Richman
Klivang
Adams
White
Fox
Thielges
Last edited by ND-is-#1 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:11 am

Region 7 will get a player on the All-State team.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 am

I thought Noles had never heard of Robbins.... :wink:

I think Austin Volk (NB) should be on the first team with his stats....played on a down team but lead the state in scoring (class A & B) with an average of over 28 points a game...double double steady all year long
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:07 am

winner-within wrote:I thought Noles had never heard of Robbins.... :wink:

I think Austin Volk (NB) should be on the first team with his stats....played on a down team but lead the state in scoring (class A & B) with an average of over 28 points a game...double double steady all year long

I believe Burns leads all scorers A and B.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:24 am

IMO

1st Team:
1. Heidelbaugh
2. Bussman
3. Holte
4. Chrest
5. McKay

2nd Team
1. Robbins
2. Kvilvang
3. Mund
4. Weston
5. Burns
6. Schmidt
7. Cieslak
8. Kretchman
9. Theigles
10.White
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 am

packers21 wrote:IMO

1st Team:
1. Heidelbaugh
2. Bussman
3. Holte
4. Chrest
5. McKay

2nd Team
1. Robbins
2. Kvilvang
3. Mund
4. Weston
5. Burns
6. Schmidt
7. Cieslak
8. Kretchman
9. Theigles
10.White

I like this line up
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:31 am

1st Team:
1. Heidelbaugh
2. Bussman
3. Holte
4. Chrest
5. McKay

2nd Team
1. Robbins
2. Kvilvang
3. Mund
4. Weston
5. Burns
6. Schmidt
7. Cieslak
8. Kretchman
9. Theigles
10.White

Chrest on first team?? What is your reason for having him above Robbins, Weston, Mund, Kretchman and so on?
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:38 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:

1st Team:
1. Heidelbaugh
2. Bussman
3. Holte
4. Chrest
5. McKay

2nd Team
1. Robbins
2. Kvilvang
3. Mund
4. Weston
5. Burns
6. Schmidt
7. Cieslak
8. Kretchman
9. Theigles
10.White

Chrest on first team?? What is your reason for having him above Robbins, Weston, Mund, Kretchman and so on?

Robbins- Robbins lead the team in scoring and rebounding but it was Chrests team this year. Robbins has a chance to lead a team next year

Weston-BC Chrest is a more complete player right now

Mund- Didn't think Milnor could get 2 on first team

Kretchman- great offensive threat doesn't play D like the rest of them, plus votes were placed b4 state champ
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby classB4ever » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:40 pm

1st Team:
1. Heidelbaugh
2. Bussman
3. Holte
4. Chrest
5. McKay

2nd Team
1. Robbins
2. Kvilvang
3. Mund
4. Weston
5. Burns
6. Schmidt
7. Cieslak
8. Kretchman
9. Theigles
10.White

Pretty solid. I think your reasoning is spot on. Maybe a bit high with Chrest, but he is a good one. Struggled a little at state shooting, but solid year. winner brought up a dandy in Volk and another kid from Region 2 from Hillsboro (Meier?) had a good year and did it with young lineup around him.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:06 pm

packers21 wrote:
ND-is-#1 wrote:

1st Team:
1. Heidelbaugh
2. Bussman
3. Holte
4. Chrest
5. McKay

2nd Team
1. Robbins
2. Kvilvang
3. Mund
4. Weston
5. Burns
6. Schmidt
7. Cieslak
8. Kretchman
9. Theigles
10.White

Robbins- Robbins lead the team in scoring and rebounding but it was Chrests team this year. Robbins has a chance to lead a team next year

Weston-BC Chrest is a more complete player right now

Mund- Didn't think Milnor could get 2 on first team

Kretchman- great offensive threat doesn't play D like the rest of them, plus votes were placed b4 state champ

I don't think they would go with Chrest over Robbins because Cavalier was "his team" if you had to take one from Cavalier it would be Robbins. IMO they look at stats and how far you get, not if it was your team.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys