All-staters

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-staters

Postby minotguy715 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Duke is talented? Yes...but there are very talented players in the State. Just as talented as Duke! If you can't see that than you don't get out much. Will Duke make the Lion's All-Star game...IMO yes. Because other players will go and play in the Shrine Game...that will open up some spots for Duke and other players

I wouldn't doubt that Raindrops5 is Duke, lol, he shoots raindrops and he wears number 5, kind of a no brainer. :)
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby minotguy715 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:15 pm

Raindrops5 wrote:I was talking about the all star game referring to seniors. And IMO there isn't 12 that are better hes 6 ' 5" with very good handles, sees the court well, shoots exceptionally well and has improved getting to the hole tremendously and guarded the best player every game. You dont see that in ND. The all state could be determined on stats and he obviously doesnt have as good as stats as someone who was the only one on their team because he had a Mr. Basketball candidate on the team along with others on the team who were also solid.

Well if their are 2 all staters on the team, and other solid players, they why didn't Des Lacs-Burlington make state??? I mean , look at Rugby, you could make the same argument for Bernhardt, if Heidlebaugh wasn't on team, how much would Bernhardt and or Miller have scored??? The argument can be made team after team..........If DesLacs-Burlington had made state, and media got to see Duke and Duke played well in state, then he would have had an outside chance...........I will go back to 2008, lol, when Bishop Ryan made state tourney for the 3rd time in a row, Austin Vetter was definite all state, but on here, you had people talking about Brooks Backes, because he had media exposure and did well with it.......did he deserve all state, IMO no, and he didn't get it either......and I am sure their are other examples, that is just one in my neighborhood :).........now if Vetter wasn't on the team, Backes might have averaged 20 some pts a game, but no state tourney and probably no or little media coverage, and might have then seemed more deserving.............voting for All state and lions all stars is not easy, and I try not to be critical of who makes it, maybe give my 2 cents on who I think could have also been included for arguments sake.
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby minotguy715 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Raindrops5 wrote:The more I watched I just felt that Duke helped Holte prosper more than anything. In big games where a person as physical as Holte checked him he shied away and Duke stepped up and carried the load. That really surprises me tjat you would put Lee and Braaten ahead of him. Watched him in AAU and he really impressed me as well. I could see Lee being ahead of him because of statistics but hes obviously not going to have stellar stats having a Mr. Basketball Candidate on his team. A lot of people think hes the best next level player in Region 6 also.

If Duke is going to play college ball, he will have to try Juco first, he needs to get stronger before he can handle NAIA or higher.......take the route of Lavachek, play early and hope he gets stronger and better. Where is Duke headed?
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eyeinthesky » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:37 pm

All good points by Minotguy. Duke needs to learn what is actually a good shot and when it should be taken. His attitude doesn't help. JUCO would be a good route to see if he can play at the college level and learn how to play team basketball.
Last edited by eyeinthesky on Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby Raindrops5 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:26 pm

This isn't Duke. No idea where he is going though.
Raindrops5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baloncesto » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:15 pm

Another thing that could factor into this is that Chris Duke was kicked out of a game and suspended for another one. Some people might look upon that and frown.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:48 pm

IMO Holte helped Duke out a lot, teams really had to key in on Holte, which left Duke with the second or third best defender on him. Made it easier for him to get his shot off. I think it is very unlikely he will make all state. Has a better chance at the lions game, due to the fact that it's limited to only seniors and some will play in the shrine bowl.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Steve Perry » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:44 pm

Raindrops5 wrote:I was talking about the all star game referring to seniors. And IMO there isn't 12 that are better hes 6 ' 5" with very good handles, sees the court well, shoots exceptionally well and has improved getting to the hole tremendously and guarded the best player every game. You dont see that in ND. The all state could be determined on stats and he obviously doesnt have as good as stats as someone who was the only one on their team because he had a Mr. Basketball candidate on the team along with others on the team who were also solid.

Okay okay okay....... Raindrops you obviously have no idea what you are talking about. I will agree with you that Duke has good handles, has an above average shot, and is athletic. But to even remotely say he is DLB's best defender?! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I watched plenty of Region 6 games this year and quite a few of DLBs games. I will agree with you that Duke did tend to start out on the opposing teams best player at the beginning of the game, until they went off on him and Coach Wagner needed to seek other routes. Both games I watched that DLB played Rugby, Bernhardt murdered Des Lacs for Duke was guarding him. So for you to say Duke is the most college ready player? Well well the next level is all about playing defense, playing as a team, and having a good attitude, all three things Duke is a few fries short of a happy meal.
Steve Perry
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sticks11 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 am

minotguy715 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:Duke is talented? Yes...but there are very talented players in the State. Just as talented as Duke! If you can't see that than you don't get out much. Will Duke make the Lion's All-Star game...IMO yes. Because other players will go and play in the Shrine Game...that will open up some spots for Duke and other players

I wouldn't doubt that Raindrops5 is Duke, lol, he shoots raindrops and he wears number 5, kind of a no brainer. :)

Agreed. Either he is, or it's someone with a completely one-sided opinion of him. I'm sorry, yes....Duke is a good player, but some of the things that were being said by "Raindrops5" are ridiculous. For example, the reference about them playing class A. IMO, Holte plays in class A and does decent. Duke has a hard time starting for decent class A teams. In class A, he's a one dimensional player.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Safety » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:12 pm

North Dakota Preps is meant to discuss high school athletics in this state in a positive manner. It is not a site meant for people to try to find ways to tear down a player or coach. I find the character assassinations and negative commentary about Chris Duke to be nothing more than personal attacks on this young man. Making positive constructive criticisms is one of the reasons I went to this site. To learn more than talk. And on the most part it has been a good experience.I have learned alot reading the thoughts of most of you.But on this topic it certainly seems that there are plenty of people who threw the line North Dakota Preps is meant to discuss high school athletics in this state in a positive manner under the bus. One person says that Chris Duke should be on the all state team in his opinion, regardless of people thoughts to the contrary, there is a better way to say I disagree than all of these negative posts. I have enjoyed the posts in ND Preps since I joined until now. Most people put out thoughtfull posts, but this one is has been full of very personal attacks on this young man. I don't know why I am even posting this, because I believe this won't change the negative comments, but you never know!
Safety
NDPreps Rookie

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:38 pm

Safety wrote:North Dakota Preps is meant to discuss high school athletics in this state in a positive manner. It is not a site meant for people to try to find ways to tear down a player or coach. I find the character assassinations and negative commentary about Chris Duke to be nothing more than personal attacks on this young man. Making positive constructive criticisms is one of the reasons I went to this site. To learn more than talk. And on the most part it has been a good experience.I have learned alot reading the thoughts of most of you.But on this topic it certainly seems that there are plenty of people who threw the line North Dakota Preps is meant to discuss high school athletics in this state in a positive manner under the bus. One person says that Chris Duke should be on the all state team in his opinion, regardless of people thoughts to the contrary, there is a better way to say I disagree than all of these negative posts. I have enjoyed the posts in ND Preps since I joined until now. Most people put out thoughtfull posts, but this one is has been full of very personal attacks on this young man. I don't know why I am even posting this, because I believe this won't change the negative comments, but you never know!

Well said.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby minotguy715 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:16 pm

Well for the most part, I don't think anyone said he was a bad player, now I didn't go back and re read all the posts.................but most comments were stating that he was a good player, just that he wasn't all state caliber........no one came on and bashed Duke , or even brought him up , until someone , who some of us think we know who it is brought the name up.......now if you can look back and quote a bashing, then I will change my thinking.
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:02 am

Safety wrote:North Dakota Preps is meant to discuss high school athletics in this state in a positive manner. It is not a site meant for people to try to find ways to tear down a player or coach. I find the character assassinations and negative commentary about Chris Duke to be nothing more than personal attacks on this young man. Making positive constructive criticisms is one of the reasons I went to this site. To learn more than talk. And on the most part it has been a good experience.I have learned alot reading the thoughts of most of you.But on this topic it certainly seems that there are plenty of people who threw the line North Dakota Preps is meant to discuss high school athletics in this state in a positive manner under the bus. One person says that Chris Duke should be on the all state team in his opinion, regardless of people thoughts to the contrary, there is a better way to say I disagree than all of these negative posts. I have enjoyed the posts in ND Preps since I joined until now. Most people put out thoughtfull posts, but this one is has been full of very personal attacks on this young man. I don't know why I am even posting this, because I believe this won't change the negative comments, but you never know!

Want some cheese w that wine? No one ever said anything negative about Duke. Just explained why they didn't think he would be all-state and they were right.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby minotguy715 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 pm

Raindrops5 wrote:We all have our own opinions I guess I just have seen them play a lot this year and I wouldn't at all. Holte cant dribble, pass, and plays very little defense. Duke is much more of an all around player and mid range game is one of the best in the state. We will see though. Hope to see them both in the Lions Game and you will see then.

Safe to say you think Chris Duke was being bashed, but if anyone got bashed on this site it was Holte by "Raindrops5" ;) ;) , Safety, I sometimes wonder how you and raindrops might be related. lol........And I didn't put on 2 other quotes that diminished Holte by Raindrops........So since you are a DLB fan, funny you didn't catch the bashing of Holte by Duke, I mean Raindrops5.......that just tells me who you favor of players on the same team.......you are appalled by the bashing of Duke, when none in my opinion was done, but not appalled about the Holte bashing by the one person who brought up Dukes name. I wonder if you will stay silent on this comment, not much comeback for you on this.
minotguy715
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:48 pm

He does have all those things, yet it just never all came together in a big game. Sometimes that just happens to a person. And come on now with the defense thing. Lee torched him, Bosch went for 30 in their two games, Bernhardt put on maybe the best shooting display in region title history with Duke leaving him in the corner the whole time.

Against sub par teams he is an unbelievable player. He just never really impressed me like he should have against good teams. He struggled against Ryan, Berthold (allthough he played fairly well at districts), Rugby twice, and Our Redeemers at the region (didn't see their other game)
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Raindrops5 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:21 pm

I am a DLB fan, yes, but no im not Duke. Im sure the last thing on his mind is to talk about himself on North Dakota Preps and im not related to the guy defending him. And I wasnt bashing Holte I have seen the two compete against one another and have enough basketball knowledge to see that Duke is a better basketball player. The first time they played rugby he was the only one who had any heart for DLB and holte was nowhere to be found. I never watched them play the first time against Ryan but I saw the second time and he was hurt through Districts and Regions so ive heard and still got any shot he wanted against Ryan. Regionals was apparent he was hurt so I can see why he didnt play up to par. But im not going to argue because what I said about him being all state was obviously wrong although he is better than a lot of those players on second team.
Raindrops5
NDPreps Reserve

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:37 pm

Raindrops5 wrote:I am a DLB fan, yes, but no im not Duke. Im sure the last thing on his mind is to talk about himself on North Dakota Preps and im not related to the guy defending him. And I wasnt bashing Holte I have seen the two compete against one another and have enough basketball knowledge to see that Duke is a better basketball player. The first time they played rugby he was the only one who had any heart for DLB and holte was nowhere to be found. I never watched them play the first time against Ryan but I saw the second time and he was hurt through Districts and Regions so ive heard and still got any shot he wanted against Ryan. Regionals was apparent he was hurt so I can see why he didnt play up to par. But im not going to argue because what I said about him being all state was obviously wrong although he is better than a lot of those players on second team.

Not a kid on the 2nd team that I would take Duke over. I wouldn't take him over Kretchman, Purintun, Niewsma, Baker or White either. Good player, just not better than any of these players.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby herdfan » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:13 pm

Raindrops , Holte wasn't even let in the first game, the second game he was taken out off it in the second half. And no he's not better than Holte,3 All States - 0.
herdfan
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BB11 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:25 pm

Raindrops5 wrote:I am a DLB fan, yes, but no im not Duke. Im sure the last thing on his mind is to talk about himself on North Dakota Preps and im not related to the guy defending him. And I wasnt bashing Holte I have seen the two compete against one another and have enough basketball knowledge to see that Duke is a better basketball player. The first time they played rugby he was the only one who had any heart for DLB and holte was nowhere to be found. I never watched them play the first time against Ryan but I saw the second time and he was hurt through Districts and Regions so ive heard and still got any shot he wanted against Ryan. Regionals was apparent he was hurt so I can see why he didnt play up to par. But im not going to argue because what I said about him being all state was obviously wrong although he is better than a lot of those players on second team.

Offensive ability - yes - I would agree he is better than a few of the guys on the 2nd team. Overall player - No. And like EHS said - and I would agree, as I've seen Duke play 20-30 times in the last three years, and would say I have a decent insight - I wouldn't choose him over any of the players on the 2nd team all-state.
You have to realize that Region 6 had 3 players that were All-State and rightfully chosen so in Heidlebaugh, Holte, and Braaten - After that - within the region - I would take Austin Lee, and Bosch from Minot Ryan and possibly White from Berthold before I would consider Duke for All-state. Is he a good player? - Yes - Is he one of the top 15 in the state ? No. He would be top ten in Region 6 realistically.
He might make the Lions game, but I doubt it. In order for that to happen - the coaches in the region had to nominate him, he would have to be chosen and agreed upon by the other coaching representatives across the state and the Region 6 coaches would have had to nominate him higher than one of the following: Holte, Braaten, Bosch - as I would assume the coaches of Region 6 would have nominated those 3 players without question. I don't think any region is going to get 4 guys on the Lion's team considering they only take 12 total.
If you are that much of a supporter of Duke - be happy for him that he had a pretty darn good career, which most athletes would take in a second. But - This Year - I don't see how you could think he should have been a no brainer choice for All-State or a Lion's team when there were a handful of more established players within his own region.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys