North Star - Pretty good for a 5 loss team!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Star - Pretty good for a 5 loss team!

Postby senditin » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 am

I couldn't resist!
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: North Star - Pretty good for a 5 loss team!

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:23 am

Wow...a separate post for the topic? You really do have some issues with NS don't you?! Congratulations to a nice St. John's team! Glad for them. I hear that buried a few 3's again last night. Hope they can maintain that consistency. Could help give the district a nice contingent at regionals!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:25 am

senditin wrote:I couldn't resist!

St. John defeated NS 84 - 70 last night in St. John. Close game throughout. NS had the lead a couple of times in the 2nd half. Kudos to St. John. That was one of the best shooting performances I have ever witnessed. Wow. NS had 2 turnovers, gave up 3 offensive boards and shot over 45% from the field. St. John simply beat them.

And senditin, when have you ever resisted? :D
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:50 am

I was really Impressed with St.John when they came to Cavalier forget ....Sean Jay is a Player
their strong point isn't defense, but a potent offence is your best defense....
Last edited by winner-within on Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:49 pm

I asked this in the other NS thread, but when was the last time NS lost to another D8 team???

07-08 to either Magic Storm or Chucks???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby vikingman » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:17 pm

The hope for NS would be that St John won't shoot 58% on 3-pointers on a neutral floor. You won't win many games when your opponent hits 15 of 26 3-pointers.

07-08 would be the correct year, not sure of the exact game(s). I think they were only around .500 that year, so it may have been more than one.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:19 pm

I think Mwkn/Leeds was the #1 seed that year, so maybe them, too? I might have my years off, though. Would have been the year Haagenson was a senior. Can't remember if that was 2007 or 2008.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby armedndangerous » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:01 pm

I don't think they made regions that year iirc

#1 Munich stark weather - with 2 Becks, dude and Richard wright
#2 Leeds minnewauken - with haageson
#3 Langdon - they had a very good big that year
#4 St. John - with Parisian and some Davis's
armedndangerous
NDPreps Starter

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:06 pm

Their last regular season district loss was to St. John in February of 2008. Their last district tournament loss was to Langdon in the same year. Quite a run by the Bearcats.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:19 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:Their last regular season district loss was to St. John in February of 2008. Their last district tournament loss was to Langdon in the same year. Quite a run by the Bearcats.

2008 District Tourney topic: viewtopic.php?f=83&t=4583
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:27 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:Their last regular season district loss was to St. John in February of 2008. Their last district tournament loss was to Langdon in the same year. Quite a run by the Bearcats.

Here was my source:
http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/north-star-co-op-[cando-bisbee-egeland]-bearcats-(cando,nd)/basketball-winter-07-08/schedule.htm
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:28 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Here was my source: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/north-star-co-op-[cando-bisbee-egeland]-bearcats-(cando,nd)/basketball-winter-07-08/schedule.htm

That's right they actually posted on MaxPreps
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:29 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
woodchuck10 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Here was my source: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/north-star-co-op-[cando-bisbee-egeland]-bearcats-(cando,nd)/basketball-winter-07-08/schedule.htm

That's right they actually posted on MaxPreps

My link is not working for some reason
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:43 am

Another 2 losses for NS this week. A flat-out bad game in New Rockford, but then they led Des Lacs last night for a good part of the game, were ahead by 3 going in to the 4th quarter.

In every loss except Rugby and New Rockford, we've had the lead late in the third or even in to the 4th, but then, lack of a depth does us in. Most of the starters play the full game, or are out just a couple of minutes. Next year we have everybody back plus we'll have a sophomore that will be eligible next year that will see a lot of playing time. We've now played 4 top 10-teams and two RV teams, and we've stayed with all of them--just haven't been able to finish them off. Maybe tournament time will be different--and it certainly will be next year.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sticks11 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:07 pm

vikingman wrote:Another 2 losses for NS this week. A flat-out bad game in New Rockford, but then they led Des Lacs last night for a good part of the game, were ahead by 3 going in to the 4th quarter.

In every loss except Rugby and New Rockford, we've had the lead late in the third or even in to the 4th, but then, lack of a depth does us in. Most of the starters play the full game, or are out just a couple of minutes. Next year we have everybody back plus we'll have a sophomore that will be eligible next year that will see a lot of playing time. We've now played 4 top 10-teams and two RV teams, and we've stayed with all of them--just haven't been able to finish them off. Maybe tournament time will be different--and it certainly will be next year.

I agree, North Star should be pretty solid next year. They should compete very well. A big thing, however, is that Region is returning a lot of good players to other teams, too. St. John and FW-M, for example, will have a very good core coming back. I think they're both returning 2 top scorers. That should be an interesting Region tournament this year and next year.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:36 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
I agree, North Star should be pretty solid next year. They should compete very well. A big thing, however, is that Region is returning a lot of good players to other teams, too. St. John and FW-M, for example, will have a very good core coming back. I think they're both returning 2 top scorers. That should be an interesting Region tournament this year and next year.

FW-M will always be tough. They normally have 30-40 kids going out for bb. Their JV and freshman teams would give many varsities a run or beat them. Losing Smith, Mckay, Larock, Hill, Threeirons and other contributing seniors will hurt them. They bring a lot to the table. But they always seem to reload.
I believe St. John is graduating 6 seniors. Langan and Jay are very good and are workhorses for that team. Their other seniors contribute. Losing these seniors will hurt them. But they do have some nice players coming back. Poitra is salty.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:38 pm

Sticks11 wrote:
vikingman wrote:Another 2 losses for NS this week. A flat-out bad game in New Rockford, but then they led Des Lacs last night for a good part of the game, were ahead by 3 going in to the 4th quarter.

Region 4 will always be competitive, IMO Region 4 wont ever see a Hagler/Grande style team like North Star had (for a long time) which IMO stemmed off of the Lindahl era
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby noles4ever » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Apologies to everyone, winner-within got cut off there and he wasn't able to finish his thought so I will assist and finish it for him:

stemmed off of the Lindahl era,-- and the Lindahls were from walhalla and walhalla is in close proximity to Cavalier, so the success that North Star has ever had is simply a measuring stick of how great and awesome Cavalier was, is, and will be for all time.

Oh thank you winner for blessing us with your knowledge, oh great one.
noles4ever
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 pm

noles4ever wrote:Apologies to everyone, winner-within got cut off there and he wasn't able to finish his thought so I will assist and finish it for him:

stemmed off of the Lindahl era,-- and the Lindahls were from walhalla and walhalla is in close proximity to Cavalier, so the success that North Star has ever had is simply a measuring stick of how great and awesome Cavalier was, is, and will be for all time.

Im still waiting for the day nolesforever posts something constructive, that proves he or she has any KNOWLEDGE about basketball...
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:24 pm

noles4ever wrote:Apologies to everyone, winner-within got cut off there and he wasn't able to finish his thought so I will assist and finish it for him:

Lindahls weren't from Walhalla
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:28 pm

The Kyle and Craig Nelson run was fueled from the success in the late 90's at Mayville/Mayport

alot of teams have a great run then a few years pass and here comes another...Linton has done it

I've always said Basketball it a tradition
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:30 pm

winner-within wrote:The Kyle and Craig Nelson run was fueled from the success in the late 90's at Mayville/Mayport

alot of teams have a great run then a few years pass and here comes another...Linton has done it

You do know that Dave and Craig Nelson moved to Mayville right?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:34 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:The Kyle and Craig Nelson run was fueled from the success in the late 90's at Mayville/Mayport

You do know that Dave and Craig Nelson moved to Mayville right?

Yep...Dave is the son-in-law of the great Eddie Beyer- Hillsboro... another town that fed from prior success

New Town comes to mind also
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:11 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
Sticks11 wrote:

FW-M will always be tough. They normally have 30-40 kids going out for bb. Their JV and freshman teams would give many varsities a run or beat them. Losing Smith, Mckay, Larock, Hill, Threeirons and other contributing seniors will hurt them. They bring a lot to the table. But they always seem to reload.
I believe St. John is graduating 6 seniors. Langan and Jay are very good and are workhorses for that team. Their other seniors contribute. Losing these seniors will hurt them. But they do have some nice players coming back. Poitra is salty.

McKay is only a jr.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:37 pm

justplayalready wrote:
McKay is only a jr.

Yep, Trayvon is a jr. Jasten McKay is the senior. Think I counted 9 seniors on their 17 player roster.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Next

Return to Boys