Best player in region 1?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Best player in region 1?

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:04 pm

I think the sophomore from Enderlin is going to be very, very, very tough in the coming years.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm

balla45 wrote:I think the sophomore from Enderlin is going to be very, very, very tough in the coming years.

I've seen him play a couple times.. He's a little inconsistent but, he is 6'7" and can shoot the lights out! Needs to get stronger and develop a post game.. His potential is endless. If he hits the weight room and works on his inside game he could be very very good! He is a nice complement to Lindgren this year.. They gave milnor a good game 81 77. I'd watch out for them come tourney time.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby NodakDrifter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:54 pm

balla45 wrote:I don't attend all of his games. He has to be somewhere around 25 and 15. I can go on my Twitter feed and look. I think he improved as much as anyone in North Dakota from his junior season to his senior season. I do not disagree that Bussman, Mund, and many other players are much more skilled. What I like with James is what he brings to the table with his length and athleticism. Granted, he benefits greatly from being likely the only 6'7" athletic player in North Dakota, but that just is what it is. I think if he is playing with a high caliber guard this year, he is a 30 a night guy, as his team, at times, struggles just to break a basic press.

Mund is more mobile, I do not disagree, however, he also benefits greatly from being in a similar position to Richman, where he is bigger and more athletic than everyone he plays against. I feel that if a player like Richman was playing with a player like Bussman, he is absolutely dominant, because teams would not be able to play a defender in front and behind him. Also like what he brings to the table as far as interior and help side defense when compared to the others.

Your argument for Bussman is similar to mine, simply being that he is a guard, and as such, is able to effect the game from the perimeter as well as inside the arch, where Richman is only an asset defensively and in the paint.

Balla45 i have got to just sit here and scratch my head over your comments on this discussion thread. First off, what on earth are you taking about?! Richman, perhaps best in state? I think you better check the facts. Richman is the same player as last year. Tall, can get rebounds, good at a turn around lay it in/dunk, and did i mention tall? He played with arguably one of the best around last year and his game was nothing better. He can't shoot further than 5 ft. out. He has no real post moves, just a turn around....which is great for nd high school but beyond that....good luck. He also is a very mythological creature. Basketball is all about speed. I don't care where you play, if you want to be the best you need speed. That is one thing Richman most certainly does not have. He can't dribble and he gets frustrated very easily. I would take a great deal of players before him just because he is so one dimensional. The fact of the matter is, he still can't hit that 15 footer just like last year.....same guy no matter what caliber guard he is with. Best in State? no. Best in region? no. Tallest in region? yes.

-I am the one who knocks.
NodakDrifter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:12 pm

I do not agree with your opinion that basketball is only about speed. I think Richman made tremendous strides as an offensive player and as a post defender this year. Actually has shown flashes of a 15 foot jump shot. Is it a go to move? No. In Class B ND basketball, I think it is a very intelligent play to consistently turn around and dunk, when you are able to do so on a consistent basis. Also has dramatically expanded his face up ability and ability to attack out of that.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakDrifter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:25 pm

balla45 wrote:I do not agree with your opinion that basketball is only about speed. I think Richman made tremendous strides as an offensive player and as a post defender this year. Actually has shown flashes of a 15 foot jump shot. Is it a go to move? No. In Class B ND basketball, I think it is a very intelligent play to consistently turn around and dunk, when you are able to do so on a consistent basis. Also has dramatically expanded his face up ability and ability to attack out of that.

Ball45 if you know anything about basketball I suggest you look at the facts. Speed is essential at the next level of basketball and helps a great deal in high school. You stated yourself you haven't seen many games so don't post things you aren't sure on. I'd lock him in a gym all night and he still wouldn't make a 15 footer. Basketball is all about quick movements. Look at the next levels and try to tell me you don't need speed.
SMH at you ball45 #dissapointed

I am the one who knocks.
NodakDrifter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:28 pm

I have been at about 5 of his games this year, so I can attest to what I have personally witnessed. There is more to basketball than speed. I do not know how you can argue this. Yes, speed is beneficial, but that is just one of many basketball attributes that are beneficial at higher levels. #obvious

Just as an example, Erron Collins is starting as a freshman at SDSMT, and I do not think it is because of his tremendous speed, but instead a product of his skill and craftiness.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby NodakDrifter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:58 pm

balla45 wrote:I have been at about 5 of his games this year, so I can attest to what I have personally witnessed. There is more to basketball than speed. I do not know how you can argue this. Yes, speed is beneficial, but that is just one of many basketball attributes that are beneficial at higher levels. #obvious

Just as an example, Erron Collins is starting as a freshman at SDSMT, and I do not think it is because of his tremendous speed, but instead a product of his skill and craftiness.

Hahahha oh man balla45.... Erron Collins makes quick moves with the ball. That's the speed you need. Richman doesn't have it. #saveyourself #drowning

I am the one who knocks.
NodakDrifter
NDPreps Rookie

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:01 pm

So because Erron Collins has a very solid and crafty handle, and is starting as a point guard in a transitional D2 school, James Richman, who is a pick and roll post needs to have similar moves. What? I am as big of an Erron Collins fan as anyone, but to pretend he is fast is almost laughable. Incredibly skilled and crafty, yes. Athletically gifted with speed, which you said is essential, no.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:23 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:I'll just list the Top Players in Region 1 (listed by team; some comments - IMO)

Milnor
Briton Bussman - probably best all-around; PG with some size, can rebound well.
Wyatt Mund - 3rd best in region; post with great athletic ability.

Oak Grove
Carter Kretchman - 2nd best all-around; PG that lacks size, but man can he shoot.
Christian Adams - 4th best in region; very athletic guard, great shooter.
Nick Card

Enderlin
Daniel Lindgren
Graham Hurlburt

Central Cass - 4 equal players that have their own strengths.
Tommy Voss
Grady Bresnahan
Connor Rienets
Adam Breske

Maple Valley
James Richman

Fairmount/CT
D'Angelo Burns

Kindred
Eric Bachmeier
Fletcher Andel

Sargent Central
Devin Arp

North Sargent
Dawson Peterson

Richland
Matt Workin

Northern Cass
Cody Springer

Your top 4 did not disappoint tonight Run, all were impressive.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby beachy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:39 am

ND-is-#1 wrote:
d_fense wrote:Run, I think you did identify the top 4 players in region 1, but I would order them differently. I would put the like this....
1. Bussman 25.8 ppg. 40% from 3. 1.2 apg. 1.2 spg. 8.8 rpg.
2. Mund. 17.2 ppg. 50% from 3. 5.5 apg. 1.5 spg. 10.2 rpg
3. Adams. 17.5 ppg. 57% from 3. 1.9 apg. 1.5 spg. 5.0 rpg.
4. Kretch. 18.2 ppg. 33% from 3. 4.5 apg. 2.1 spg. 2.5 rpg.

I put Mund 2 because he leads the group in assists and rebounds total per game at 15.7 compared to Adams 6.9 and Kretchmans 7.0, while they are all within one point per game in scoring. Plus he is the biggest player in the group. I have only seen O.G. Play twice this year (Milnor too for that matter) so I should defer to Run, but I will put Adams 3 because he has shot the ball so much better from 3 this year compared to Kretchman. 29/51 compared to 20/60.

That being said, every other team in the region would love to have any of these 4 players. I haven't heard a single thing that has not been positive about any of them.

I have not seen Burns play this year. I am going from past years in not putting him in my top 4.

I'm curious why you have Kretchman and Adams ahead of Lindgren. According to Max Preps, Lindgren has the better stats 20ppg 6rpg 5apg. I also think Burns should be at least top 5.. He has put up some rediculous numbers.
Here is my order
1. Bussman 25.8ppg
2. Mund 17.2ppg
3. Lindgren 20ppg
4. Kretchman 18.2ppg
5. Burns ???

Burns is averaging right at 29.9 PPG before his 35 point game last night.. and They do not put stats up but i did it jsut for fun becasue i wanted to see he had 11 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals along with 2 blocks last night in their win against Richland.. I wish every team would put averages on the web..
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:15 pm

Burns is averaging right at 29.9 PPG before his 35 point game last night.. and They do not put stats up but i did it jsut for fun becasue i wanted to see he had 11 rebounds, 5 assists and 4 steals along with 2 blocks last night in their win against Richland.. I wish every team would put averages on the web..

It would be really nice! I believe Oak Grave, Enderlin, Richland, and Milnor are the only region one teams that do. Wish more would follow
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby beachy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm

ND-is-#1 wrote:

It would be really nice! I believe Oak Grave, Enderlin, Richland, and Milnor are the only region one teams that do. Wish more would follow

I agree and thats why some kids dont get there respect.. I would have to say its a toss up between Bussman and Burns.. both always find ways to score.. Have not seen kretchman play but from sounds of it he will be the top player next year with out a doubt.. should be a good regional tournement i think..
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:56 pm

Bussman is clearly the best player in region 1.. I don't think anyone will argue with that. Everyone else can fight for second. Burns scores a lot cause he shoots a lot due to the lack of talent on his team. It is not a toss up between Bussman and Burns.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby beachy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:02 pm

Clearly... But bussman has not changed any from last year to this year.. Burns has gotten better and has his team on a winning record for the first time in at least 5-7 years.. he does shoot alot but when u have 2 top 10 players on a team it is easier where as he does not have another stand out stand out player on his squad.. i beleive it will be a close race for district 1 senior..
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:07 pm

beachy wrote:Clearly... But bussman has not changed any from last year to this year.. Burns has gotten better and has his team on a winning record for the first time in at least 5-7 years.. he does shoot alot but when u have 2 top 10 players on a team it is easier where as he does not have another stand out stand out player on his squad.. i beleive it will be a close race for district 1 senior..

I could see District 1 SAoY being a Co-award this year...but when it comes to the Region Award Bussman will pull away and likely take that award.

Some good seniors this year in the region (in no particular order):
Bussman
Burns
Mund
Richman
Bachmeier
Lindgren
Card
Peterson

I'm sure I'm missing a few names here...but this has been a good senior group this year!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby beachy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:18 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
beachy wrote:Clearly... But bussman has not changed any from last year to this year.. Burns has gotten better and has his team on a winning record for the first time in at least 5-7 years.. he does shoot alot but when u have 2 top 10 players on a team it is easier where as he does not have another stand out stand out player on his squad.. i beleive it will be a close race for district 1 senior..

I could see District 1 SAoY being a Co-award this year...but when it comes to the Region Award Bussman will pull away and likely take that award.

Bussman
Burns
Mund
Richman
Bachmeier
Lindgren
Card
Peterson

I'm sure I'm missing a few names here...but this has been a good senior group this year!

I agree with you on that one Run... This year could be a co award.. And that would be the best route to go.. if not it will be down do one vote or so on which one gets it..
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:54 pm

beachy wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Bussman
Burns
Mund
Richman
Bachmeier
Lindgren
Card
Peterson

I agree with you on that one Run... This year could be a co award.. And that would be the best route to go.. if not it will be down do one vote or so on which one gets it..

I just see Bussman getting it due to the better record and what he did last year. Even though that's not what it's supposed to be judged by, I think they will look at that and give it to him based on the better career. I could be wrong though.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm

Bussman
Burns
Mund
Richman
Bachmeier
Lindgren
Card
Peterson

Workin could probably be added.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:01 pm

In my opinion, if it is, indeed, a co award, I see it being shared by Bussman and Mund, not bussman and Burns. Burns has crazy numbers, but Mund is a better all around basketball player. To illustrate this, think about switching the two. Mund would make FCT better than they are today and his numbers would go way up. Burns on Milnor probably brings them closer to the R1 pack as oppossed to top 2. Not taking anything away from Burns, who is special in his own right. I just think people lose perspective on how good Mund is due to his proximity to Bussman night in and night out. He does A LOT that doesnt always show up on the stat sheet.

Also, I think Bussman has improved over last year. Remember they had arguably a better overall surrounding cast last year with Landon Mund than this year and they just dropped their first game of the year to an exceptional OG team.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby beachy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:32 pm

I think that they have just as good crew this year.. Landon mund didnt do much for them last year..
beachy
NDPreps Starter

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:24 pm

beachy wrote:I think that they have just as good crew this year.. Landon mund didnt do much for them last year..

He averaged around 13 a game I believe.. He was a much better third man than anyone they have this year that's for sure
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:36 pm

ND-is-#1 wrote:
beachy wrote:I think that they have just as good crew this year.. Landon mund didnt do much for them last year..

He averaged around 13 a game I believe.. He was a much better third man than anyone they have this year that's for sure

That was what I thought but I didnt know the numbers. I saw him play a handful of times and liked his game as a compliment to Buss-Mund. See what I did there? I should copyright that.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:07 pm

Saw Enderlin lost last night to Sargent Central. I was curious because Enderlin beat them by like 30 earlier in the year, so I looked online and Lindgren didn't play.. Anyone know why???
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:13 pm

ND-is-#1 wrote:Saw Enderlin lost last night to Sargent Central. I was curious because Enderlin beat them by like 30 earlier in the year, so I looked online and Lindgren didn't play.. Anyone know why???

Lindgren was sick...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
ND-is-#1 wrote:Saw Enderlin lost last night to Sargent Central. I was curious because Enderlin beat them by like 30 earlier in the year, so I looked online and Lindgren didn't play.. Anyone know why???

Lindgren was sick...

Oh okay. Thanks run.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys