North Star -- pretty good for a 4-loss team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Star -- pretty good for a 4-loss team

Postby vikingman » Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 pm

Well, at least we didn't have a 4th quarter let-down this time. On the other hand, losing by 11 to the #2 team in the state isn't all that bad, either. If I would have just watched the game without ever looking at the scoreboard, I would have thought they had beaten us by more--Rugby seemed very dominant at times. Hit the 3-pointers well and Heidlebaugh seemed to be able to score at will. He could have gone in for an uncontested dunk at the end, but held on to it instead.

Some people in the Cando crowd (who know BB better than I) thought that this was the toughest team we have played (over Grafton & even Cavalier & Four Winds). Yet, we've managed to stay close to 4 ranked (or RV) teams. It's not inconceivable that with a good regional tournament ....
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: North Star -- pretty good for a 4-loss team

Postby winner-within » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:06 am

I hope the Community isnt putting added pressure on the team (which I'm sure they are not) because it will be many years or never, before they ever see a Hagler, Grande one two punch again.....was cool to see Daniel Reffing in Cavalier the other night....the reffing system needs some good new young blood....he did a great job.... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:57 pm

winner-within wrote:I hope the Community isnt putting added pressure on the team (which I'm sure they are not) because it will be many years or never, before they ever see a Hagler, Grande one two punch again.....was cool to see Daniel Reffing in Cavalier the other night....the reffing system needs some good new young blood....he did a great job.... :)

I don't think the community is putting any pressure on this year's team at all. Let's face it, this year's team is in a different position than any of the teams of the past 6-7 years. They don't have the seniors out there to lead the way, so they just need to learn and trust each other as they go. They have the coaches and the community behind them and everyone is being patient.
As for the 1-2 punch statement. North Star has been blessed with many a "1-2" punch over the years. Many times a "3-4" punch as well. As always, you just don't replace a Hagler/Grande combo. But this year's junior class brings a dynamic skill set of their own. A pair of tall, athletic players that we have never had, rounded out by some incredible role playing juniors that are getting good minutes and have produced very well. The Hunt kid has been outstanding this year and will continue to get better. Their freshman class is deep and athletic and fill in the other spots nicely.
They are well coached and will continue to get better.

PS - Watched the Rugby vs. North Star game on Friday night. A new 3-man crew of refs (haven't seen them before this year) officiated that game and was the best officiated game I have seen in many years.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:17 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
winner-within wrote:I hope the Community isnt putting added pressure on the team (which I'm sure they are not) because it will be many years or never, before they ever see a Hagler, Grande one two punch again.....was cool to see Daniel Reffing in Cavalier the other night....the reffing system needs some good new young blood....he did a great job.... :)

I don't think the community is putting any pressure on this year's team at all. Let's face it, this year's team is in a different position than any of the teams of the past 6-7 years. They don't have the seniors out there to lead the way, so they just need to learn and trust each other as they go. They have the coaches and the community behind them and everyone is being patient.
As for the 1-2 punch statement. North Star has been blessed with many a "1-2" punch over the years. Many times a "3-4" punch as well. As always, you just don't replace a Hagler/Grande combo. But this year's junior class brings a dynamic skill set of their own. A pair of tall, athletic players that we have never had, rounded out by some incredible role playing juniors that are getting good minutes and have produced very well. The Hunt kid has been outstanding this year and will continue to get better. Their freshman class is deep and athletic and fill in the other spots nicely.
They are well coached and will continue to get better.

PS - Watched the Rugby vs. North Star game on Friday night. A new 3-man crew of refs (haven't seen them before this year) officiated that game and was the best officiated game I have seen in many years.

I'm sure they were and have been....Region 4 has always had some incredible players throughout the years.... its a solid area in the State when it comes to Class B Basketball.....but H&G were like the Nelson's from May-port Craig & Kyle with Craig's Dad Dave running the show, see same scenario same over 40 win streak with a total of 3 championships out of 4......Very very hard to ever duplicate...Like when Cavalier won 3 Class AA Football titles in a row....once again it was a father/QB combo.....there is something very special about that type of so called advantage if you will....and I dont mean unfair advantage....I mean "a dream come true advantage" for the team it is happening to.... :) Play on!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:11 am

North Star was beaten by St John last night.

When was the last District loss for North Star...2008????

gotta be a pretty impressive number.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:23 pm

justplayalready wrote:North Star was beaten by St John last night.

When was the last District loss for North Star...2008????

gotta be a pretty impressive number.

North Star's last loss in District was in 2008...not sure of the team though
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Return to Boys