computerized rankings of the Teams

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

computerized rankings of the Teams

Postby B-oldtimer » Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:17 pm

I was just looking at computer rankings and I was wondering how long it takes before they have large enough sample to start putting teams in much more correct order. We have reached point of teams playing 7 to 9 games which is nearly half of the season. Yet it seems to me the rankings from the teams I have seen play are far off of what they should be. It also appears closer you are to bigger cities more likely your rank is going to be overstated. I guess how they come up ranking teams to begin with to start the season is based on past experience of various programs or from coaches and AD's because if based on past performance that may be overstating or understating teams ability. If you look the computerized rankings vary significantly from latest polls. I guess this is why I am very skeptical of ranking teams for the state tournaments because polls are very often wrong at the end of year and it appears even computerized system is far from being perfected. I am very skeptical of even coaches picking teams because majority of coaches see only small percentage of the teams playing state wide and a lot of what they will decide on who's better is on other people opinions and its always difficult determine what region is playing better at given time. I have seen over my years where teams have beat teams earlier in year by 10 and by end of year the team that lost earlier has improved where situation has reversed. This is why I believe its difficult to rate teams for bracketing especially on state wide level. Look at last year if who would of picked final outcome of state tournament based on common opinion of who was better you would have been totally wrong.. I would just as leave chance play roll in outcome of state tournament and if your going to win the state tournament you need to beat who ever your playing.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: computerized rankings of the Teams

Postby kramer85 » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:05 pm

I am sure this will be jumped all over but I would like to see teams seeded into a state tournament based upon how their region finished the year before in the state tournament. What that means is Milnor's region would be seeded number one (this coming year), Four Winds region number two, etc etc. I know it can vary from year to year (as far as the best region) but this would get teams in a particular region cheering for each other instead of against each other.
kramer85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:45 am

kramer85 wrote:I am sure this will be jumped all over but I would like to see teams seeded into a state tournament based upon how their region finished the year before in the state tournament. What that means is Milnor's region would be seeded number one (this coming year), Four Winds region number two, etc etc. I know it can vary from year to year (as far as the best region) but this would get teams in a particular region cheering for each other instead of against each other.

While obviously kind of flawed, I wouldn't mind it at all.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:08 pm

Sample size for most rankings are too small right now; when the average games played is 4.5 Games Played. When the sample size reaches double digits (approximately two weeks)...then rankings with formulas should have a better sample size to show some accuracy.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys