North Star -- pretty good for a 3-loss team

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Star -- pretty good for a 3-loss team

Postby vikingman » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:39 pm

This place has been so dead this season-- I'll start something new.

North Star has held their own against #2 Four Winds (8 pt loss), #3 Cavalier (4 pt loss), and RV Grafton (4 pt loss). In all 3 games we had leads in the third quarter. Lack of depth is definitely hurting us down the stretch in those games. Tonight each of our starting 5 played the entire game except for a couple of 20-second substitutions at the end of two quarters, and then when Kvilvang fouled out with about 4 minutes to go in the game.

As the season began, I was expecting us to be blown out of these games. It's a team with no seniors and no sophomores (no seniors went out, one sophomore went out, he's a sub on JV). We lost two all-staters, plus a two-year starter, and another senior. With 2 freshmen starting at guards, we should improve quite a bit as the season progresses. We'll still have the depth problems all year long, and any game when we get in early foul trouble will cause major problems. We'll certainly never be favored to beat 4 Winds (not that it couldn't happen), but I think we will be able to contend with anyone if we can keep healthy and out of foul trouble.

Tonight we had a 7-point lead on Cavalier well in to the third quarter. Then Robbins went crazy late in the game. He didn't do much early (he did hit a few 3-pointers early), but he just took over in the last quarter. Our big guys were in foul trouble, so they weren't able to put up much of defense toward the end, but he was so athletic he probably could have blown by everyone earlier in the game as well if he had decided to try.

(Original link removed)

I forgot that I had to remove the radio audio from the video, new version with just music audio here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIT1wKMyUGQ
Last edited by vikingman on Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Re: North Star -- pretty good for a 3-loss team

Postby MTfan4life » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:31 am

With Hagler at the helm, it's hard to doubt North Star having any trouble with player development. However, are you mistaken with your comment of them having zero juniors? I thought Weston and Kvilvang were both juniors? Regardless, it will be very interesting to keep tabs on you guys for the next couple years. Thank you for the videos!
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby vikingman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:35 am

My mistake -- no seniors, no sophomores. Varsity team is made up only of Seniors and Freshmen. (actually, by age, Weston should be a Sophomore. He started school a year early. So, when he scored 40 pts last year against DesLacs, he was only a freshman by age. (original post corrected)
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby senditin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:08 am

MTfan4life wrote:With Hagler at the helm, it's hard to doubt North Star having any trouble with player development. However, are you mistaken with your comment of them having zero juniors? I thought Weston and Kvilvang were both juniors? Regardless, it will be very interesting to keep tabs on you guys for the next couple years. Thank you for the videos!

Hagler finally has to coach instead of having his son do it for him on the floor for the past 4 years. Based on NS gettin beat twice on yoyr own home court I'd say he needs to brush up on his coaching skills. You dont ley teams come into your house and beat you and call yourselves a good team.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby balla45 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:35 pm

senditin wrote:
MTfan4life wrote:With Hagler at the helm, it's hard to doubt North Star having any trouble with player development. However, are you mistaken with your comment of them having zero juniors? I thought Weston and Kvilvang were both juniors? Regardless, it will be very interesting to keep tabs on you guys for the next couple years. Thank you for the videos!

Hagler finally has to coach instead of having his son do it for him on the floor for the past 4 years. Based on NS gettin beat twice on yoyr own home court I'd say he needs to brush up on his coaching skills. You dont ley teams come into your house and beat you and call yourselves a good team.

I am not a big believer in home court advantage. Did you watch either of those games? I don't think he really lost a coaching battle. Not every shot is going to fall every night.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:35 pm

I probably get in trouble saying this and may not be total case here with Northstar. But saying that they have no seniors or sophomores out is how they have selected their talent past years. The Hagler class last year was group of kids that have played since 7 th grade on high school A team and its no doubt they did have talent. Also the past several years team was made up some very younger members Weston, Heisler, and Komorosky with the latter two being 7 th graders again. Kids are different than I was in my day they are not going invest their time if they perceive that they have little chance of playing much. I think it has to do with amount of time that's expected now playing a sport. In my day kids played for the fun on their own and organized practice was just during the season. Very little was done with camps either for most part people didn't have money to spend on these activities. But getting back to Northstar when they jumped these kids ahead of older kids I believe a lot of kids probably felt they were not going to play if these were the kids that were going to play now and in the future. I seen this with other schools too in both boys and girls sports and this works as long as there enough kids school to fill out team. The problem is that as school gets smaller and talented kids get fewer in schools you start to begin to have participation problems. The problem becomes their not enough kids so we look for a coop and kind of solves the problem but here we are again the time increases even more to commit to the sport now because busing for practices takes more out the day and kids just don't feel its worth their time. Back in my day even some very smallest schools with enrollments of 30 something in highschool had basketball team it required everyone going out but it happened and they were competitive. Now I see schools or coops with over 100 in high school and they have hard time getting enough kids out for A and B squads. Another note the other junior that has played for Northstar also was transfer in during high school. I think were going to have to look at how we play high school sports are we trying to be feeder program for colleges or are we trying to create activity for kids where we get greater participation but quality of play is less. I think were on progression where number kids and number teams we have are going to reach point of so few that tax paying citizens are going to say there not willing to continue with organized sports to degree we have today. I also maintain that number of kids that play on in college out of north Dakota is quite small and especially in Class b. The kids that play on very few get much in college support and do so for love of the sport and a lot get to play very little but there are exception to this but percentage that reach this is less than 1 to 2%. The kids that participate in Music, speech , and academics I willing to bet get much more support from colleges but very little recognition by public when in high school compared to high school sports. I think schools should also be graded on percentage of kids that participating in sports I see to low participation numbers for all the schools. I think Northstar is not alone here and I think were heading for when we see schools one day will call activities association and say they can't field team for season.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:53 pm

At most we might have had one player who looked at the younger kids playing and then decided they wouldn't get any playing time. This year's senior class only had 3 boys in it up until the past year when we've had a couple of others move in. One of the original 3 played as a freshman.

As for good team snever losing on your home court -- we trounced Beulah on their home court two years ago. Then they won the state championship. Were they not a good team?

I'm not saying we are a top ten team, but we must be fairly close, and we're much better than a lot of people were thinking we'd be (including myself).
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby senditin » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:31 pm

vikingman wrote:At most we might have had one player who looked at the younger kids playing and then decided they wouldn't get any playing time. This year's senior class only had 3 boys in it up until the past year when we've had a couple of others move in. One of the original 3 played as a freshman.

As for good team snever losing on your home court -- we trounced Beulah on their home court two years ago. Then they won the state championship. Were they not a good team?

I'm not saying we are a top ten team, but we must be fairly close, and we're much better than a lot of people were thinking we'd be (including myself).

Exactly my point. NS goes to Beulah and wins by 25 then loses to that team in the state final. Hagler was outcoached. If he was any kind of coach he would get his two big men down in the blocks instead of having them shoot jumpers all night.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby classB4ever » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:16 pm

senditin wrote:Exactly my point. NS goes to Beulah and wins by 25 then loses to that team in the state final. Hagler was outcoached. If he was any kind of coach he would get his two big men down in the blocks instead of having them shoot jumpers all night.

And to top if off, he doesn't hold his players back in grades 5-8 to allow them to get bigger, stronger and faster or teach them how to hack and foul hard because of limited numbers of players. He's not much of a coach at all.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:57 pm

senditin wrote:
vikingman wrote:At most we might have had one player who looked at the younger kids playing and then decided they wouldn't get any playing time. This year's senior class only had 3 boys in it up until the past year when we've had a couple of others move in. One of the original 3 played as a freshman.

Exactly my point. NS goes to Beulah and wins by 25 then loses to that team in the state final. Hagler was outcoached. If he was any kind of coach he would get his two big men down in the blocks instead of having them shoot jumpers all night.

What? I am not saying he was or was not out coached, but how is losing to a team that had the 3 best athletes on the floor and arguably the best basketball player on the floor being outcoached?

Why would you restrict Weston to the block when his jump shot is his most valuable asset?
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby panthercub » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:04 pm

senditin wrote:

Sounds like you might have a little resentment towards Hagler coached teams? Maybe its because he sent you packin! Or did you senitin (like throw in the towel) because maybe you should do it again with your ridiculous posts! Hagler is and has been a top Class B Coach since he came onto the scene with the Bisbee-Egeland Panthers back in the early 90's!
panthercub
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby senditin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:13 pm

No my team ended Hagler and Grandes HS careers in the sportscenter last feb. Sorry you had to cancel your rooms in Minot:O
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby hoops247 » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:27 pm

I just have to giggle when people like senditin come on here's and try to act like they have a clue about, well, much of anything.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:38 pm

hoops247 wrote:I just have to giggle when people like senditin come on here's and try to act like they have a clue about, well, much of anything.

Hahahaha! Lets see NS had a starting lineup of 6'6", 6'5", 6'3", 6'3" & 6'2". FWM was 6'3", 6'2", 6'0", 5'11" & 5'11" and they beat NS by double figs in the regional final. Looks like someone was seriously outcoached!!
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:46 pm

senditin wrote:
hoops247 wrote:I just have to giggle when people like senditin come on here's and try to act like they have a clue about, well, much of anything.

Hahahaha! Lets see NS had a starting lineup of 6'6", 6'5", 6'3", 6'3" & 6'2". FWM was 6'3", 6'2", 6'0", 5'11" & 5'11" and they beat NS by double figs in the regional final. Looks like someone was seriously outcoached!!

Or maybe two good teams played, one lost and one didn't . That happens sometimes as well. It's not always the losing coach blowing it.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby longball » Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:41 pm

senditin wrote:

Than I'd have to say that FWM was seriously outcoached in the state championship game cause they never lead for even a second in that game.
longball
NDPreps Reserve

Postby senditin » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:11 pm

longball wrote:
senditin wrote:

Than I'd have to say that FWM was seriously outcoached in the state championship game cause they never lead for even a second in that game.

Good point but remember FWM was without a starter and sixth man for the final. I still stand by my point that Hagler us an average coach who has benefitted by having a ton of talent and has recruited\had transfers come into thier program.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby vikingman » Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:45 pm

At least when Haller 'recruits', he makes sure he gets a player that the High School Activities Association won't declare ineligible midway through the region tournament.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby kramer85 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:51 am

Sorry to see the boys go down the other night in Minot. Thought for sure NS 53 game win streak was going to be crushed by the boys. Guess if they had a coach on the floor instead of on the bench it might have been different. Love the philosophy that players win games and coaches lose games. Makes sense to me. Can you refresh me as to why the boys were without players in the state championship last year?
kramer85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justplayalready » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:29 am

IN before the lock :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby NDSportsFan » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:56 pm

Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

If you have complaints about a coach I'm sure you could go talk to them. They would love to hear your suggestions on how they could do their jobs better. Anonymous complaining is not productive.
NDSportsFan
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys