Last one to Lose

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Last one to Lose

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:55 pm

Was just curious, not saying that either team had a weak schedule. Just thought their losses were to teams that were just average, but everyone has an off night. There seems to be quite a few teams that are flying under the radar with impressive records that no one is talking about. GCC, N. Cass, Drake-Anamoose, etc. along with these two teams.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:52 pm

thats right...consistency is not easy to come by.... thats where I believe the Coach comes into play, and the Captains.....the best thing to do when in a slight slump, if your your a solid team, is to set down the ball and run yourself back into business.....I will say though that this is one of those years where nobody is a shoe in....Hats off to Milnor and Rugby for still possessing the big Goose Egg in the loss column... 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:31 am

Last One to Lose: Rugby (15-0) thru 1/28
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:13 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Was just curious, not saying that either team had a weak schedule. Just thought their losses were to teams that were just average, but everyone has an off night. There seems to be quite a few teams that are flying under the radar with impressive records that no one is talking about. GCC, N. Cass, Drake-Anamoose, etc. along with these two teams.

hidden prediction here???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:16 am

justplayalready wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Was just curious, not saying that either team had a weak schedule. Just thought their losses were to teams that were just average, but everyone has an off night. There seems to be quite a few teams that are flying under the radar with impressive records that no one is talking about. GCC, N. Cass, Drake-Anamoose, etc. along with these two teams.

hidden prediction here???

No, not at all. I highly doubt D-A has a team than can compete with Rugby, DLB, Berthold, Redeemers, Ryan, etc. in that region. It's just too tough. But when was the last time D-A had a team that was 12-3? I'm thinking 1995 so that's pretty impressive what they are doing.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:22 am

last year DA got out on Rugby early...lead most the game. Rugby finally got the lead late due to hot shooting.

game is in Rugby this year. Friday night.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:47 pm

Rugby stays undefeated wins State??
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby EHS1998 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:58 pm

winner-within wrote:Rugby stays undefeated wins State??

I feel like some team out there has the potential to knock them off.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:16 pm

EHS1998 wrote:

after watching them play against FW, I agree
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:18 pm

winner-within wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:

Scary thing about Rugby is I thought this would be more of a down year for them ( I thought DLB would be the best team in the Region). They bring back their 3 best players next year.

With that being said...once regionals come around its do or die. anyone can be beaten if they are not prepared.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:43 pm

packers21 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:

Scary thing about Rugby is I thought this would be more of a down year for them ( I thought DLB would be the best team in the Region). They bring back their 3 best players next year.

With that being said...once regionals come around its do or die. anyone can be beaten if they are not prepared.

yea Rugby has a real solid team...were they at state last year?
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:43 pm

winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:

yea Rugby has a real solid team...were they at state last year?

Rugby lost to FW-M in 1st round last year
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:51 pm

they did beat Grafton in the sunshine bracket tho... :mrgreen:

It had to be Grafton...don't recall anyone else coming out of R2 since DP :D
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:06 am

justplayalready wrote:they did beat Grafton in the sunshine bracket tho... :mrgreen:

It had to be Grafton...don't recall anyone else coming out of R2 since DP :D

Oh how I would love to get my hands on your password and change your signature ...lol... :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:44 am

I really like the looks of this last poll..I think its accurate....

I have copied and pasted to the "last one to lose" because there is still one that hasn't :) ...hats off to the Rugby squad!.. 8) and hats off to the other 9 teams that made the last poll...Good luck in the tourneys..Play hard and keep it Clean!

Class B
FINAL POLL
February 10th, 2014

1. Rugby (15) 19-0 150
2. Oak Grove 18-1 124
3. Milnor 18-1 111
4. Cavalier 18-1 106
5. Four Winds-Minnewaukan 17-2 105
6. Hazen 17-2 63
7. Des Lacs-Burlington 17-2 49
8. Shiloh Christian 17-2 45
9. St. John 17-2 31
10. Lewis & Clark-Berthold 17-2 20
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:11 pm

Its just a poll and we will never know how accurate it is. Region 6 has 3 in the poll, regions 1 and 4 have 2 and regions 2,5,and 7 have one representative each. With Regions 3 and 8 not having any representation in the polls. At best is will have 6 teams make region out of this poll and last year we saw Milnor unranked team win the state could we have it again. Its high school basketball and we will see some of these teams fall before they reach state tournament and some will not play up to expectations even when they get to state. Its what makes it fun and unpredictability of who may win the prize.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:34 pm

B-oldtimer wrote:Its just a poll and we will never know how accurate it is. Region 6 has 3 in the poll, regions 1 and 4 have 2 and regions 2,5,and 7 have one representative each. With Regions 3 and 8 not having any representation in the polls. At best is will have 6 teams make region out of this poll and last year we saw Milnor unranked team win the state could we have it again. Its high school basketball and we will see some of these teams fall before they reach state tournament and some will not play up to expectations even when they get to state. Its what makes it fun and unpredictability of who may win the prize.

I'm judging the accuracy on who's beaten who of course but your right, its Class B ND style...
because of so many stud Jr's in last years tourney this year is probably (tongue in cheek) a little more cut and dried....somebody mentioned Injury's, Health, fatigue of travel, played one another 2,3,4 times

and yes a poll is a poll, the toughest one to swallow I think is Region 1...I dont think anyone beats both Milnor and Oak...but it could happen..... and sadly but true only one goes... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndclassbb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:10 am

I agree that a poll is a poll... the best teams can be beaten any night if having an off night whether they are ranked in the state poll or not. Keeps it interesting!
I also agree that Milnor and Oakes are strong teams; however, I do believe that there are many teams in Region 6 that are capable of beating both of them. I would have to witness Milnor and Oakes play each of the outstanding teams in Region 6 and defeat them all before I would concede that there is no team in Region 6 who is capable of defeating both of them.
I realize that the above statement is opinion and speculation and that's great; however, I do not believe that Region 1 is the only Region with "powerhouse" teams.
There will be many very good teams in Region 6 who will not make it to the big house as only one can go to state.
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ND-is-#1 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:12 pm

ndclassbb wrote:I agree that a poll is a poll... the best teams can be beaten any night if having an off night whether they are ranked in the state poll or not. Keeps it interesting!
I also agree that Milnor and Oakes are strong teams; however, I do believe that there are many teams in Region 6 that are capable of beating both of them. I would have to witness Milnor and Oakes play each of the outstanding teams in Region 6 and defeat them all before I would concede that there is no team in Region 6 who is capable of defeating both of them.
I realize that the above statement is opinion and speculation and that's great; however, I do not believe that Region 1 is the only Region with "powerhouse" teams.
There will be many very good teams in Region 6 who will not make it to the big house as only one can go to state.

I believe you mean "Oak Grove" as they are 18-1 and ranked 2nd in the state. Oakes is 8-11. Must not be very familiar with Region 1. :lol:
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 pm

Talking with a friend from MN and he didnt see the game, and neither did I ...but he said he was somewhat surprised about this game #2 Four Winds-Minnewaukan def. Thief River Falls, MN 60-54

he said TRF is really respectable.....anyone see it?...I know 4Winds is solid
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Where would Cavalier be in the final poll if their one loss to Pelican Rapids, MN was discounted?
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndclassbb » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:02 pm

Yes, I did mean Oak Grove...not Oakes. I typed the wrong team name in typing it too quickly...I'm glad that you got a chuckle out of it! :P
ndclassbb
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:04 pm

Hinsa wrote:Where would Cavalier be in the final poll if their one loss to Pelican Rapids, MN was discounted?

I would say the same #4, they played only one other ranked team #7 St.John and they didn't play any of the teams above them of course, so if they are 18-0 in ND you still have to measure it by who they did and didn't play in the home State IMO
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsking » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:28 pm

winner-within wrote:
Hinsa wrote:Where would Cavalier be in the final poll if their one loss to Pelican Rapids, MN was discounted?

I would say the same #4, they played only one other ranked team #7 St.John and they didn't play any of the teams above them of course, so if they are 18-0 in ND you still have to measure it by who they did and didn't play in the home State IMO

Its too bad that there isn't a way of making sure if you make it to the state tourney the year before, that it could be that you must schedule a certain amount of games with teams from that tourney for the next year. I do realize that schedules are usually just about done by then, but it was just a thought, and could maybe help out when the super region and state pairings takes affect. Then we would have had Rugby, FWs, playing some of the teams that are ranked now. Just a thought
sportsking
NDPreps Starter

Postby Sticks11 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:04 pm

sportsking wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Its too bad that there isn't a way of making sure if you make it to the state tourney the year before, that it could be that you must schedule a certain amount of games with teams from that tourney for the next year. I do realize that schedules are usually just about done by then, but it was just a thought, and could maybe help out when the super region and state pairings takes affect. Then we would have had Rugby, FWs, playing some of the teams that are ranked now. Just a thought

FW-M played DLB, Rugby, and St. John. Rugby played DLB, FW-M, and St. John. DLB played Berthold, FW-M, and Rugby. All of those teams played teams that were receiving votes, too. That's not too bad for a year. Rugby also played Minot Ryan, Beulah, and North Star. District 12 had the advantage of having a region favorite and 3 other very capable teams.
Sticks11
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys