2013-14 Refereeing - Points of Emphasis

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2013-14 Refereeing - Points of Emphasis

Postby EHS1998 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:55 pm

First and foremost, I do understand that refereeing HS basketball is an extremely difficult job that I am NOT suited for. I have worked very hard to stay out of referee's "ears" over the years, to varying levels of success.

However, referees in ND have to do a better job of not being part of deciding who wins a game. This is unfair to the coaches and players. I saw 2 occurrences over the weekend when games were decided by very questionable foul calls late in a tie game. 1 was with 3.5 seconds left and one was with 1.5 seconds left. Both were on rebounds where no one received a competitive advantage and it wasn't clear who initiated the contact. The best call in both of these instances would have been to not blow the whistle at all. If a clear foul that gives one team an advantage over the other occurs, then you have to make that call. But outside of this, please let the kids settle it on the court. The best officials are those that are incidental to the game, not at the center of it.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby SportShots » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:54 am

When will they enforce the 'palming the ball' and actually push the kids to dribble? Watch way too many who can't handle the ball with dribbling it and instead nearly carry the thing.
SportShots
NDPreps Reserve

Postby wildcatfan » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Ok, now that districts are starting up at the end of this week, have you seen any difference in the way the officials have called the game. I personally have not, I do not believe that the game has gotten any cleaner. This is not intended to bash the officials, they have a thankless job
wildcatfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:58 pm

What I see is that the officials have gotten away from the points of emphasis for one reason or another. They called it close early on but gradually have fallen back into old habits.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby MNTwinsFan » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:18 pm

Hinsa wrote:What I see is that the officials have gotten away from the points of emphasis for one reason or another. They called it close early on but gradually have fallen back into old habits.

Consistency is the big thing in my opinion, how can you let two hands to the back on the post be a no call but then call a hand check on the perimeter? I know refs get little to no credit and it is a thankless job but I think consistency across the board would be great. But maybe that is in a perfect world only.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys