2013-14 Refereeing - Points of Emphasis

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

2013-14 Refereeing - Points of Emphasis

Postby EHS1998 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Can anyone speak to what, if any, points of emphasis will be a focus for referees this year?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Re: 2013-14 Refereeing - Points of Emphasis

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:39 pm

well rumor has it an email was sent out to Varsity/JV officials of the new "rules". It almost sounds like it could be similar to the new college rules :roll:

I do know that the hand-check rule is always an emphasis and also another that I heard they will be watching for is a post player gaining position by using the "hook" move.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby packers21 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:05 pm

HAND CHECKING is going to be huge...just like the college game...Might ease up some once the season gets rolling but right away anytime a defensive player places their hands on an offensive player it is going to be called no matter what...Lots of early bonus and games dragging on until the adjustment period is over
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:07 pm

packers21 wrote:HAND CHECKING is going to be huge...just like the college game...Might ease up some once the season gets rolling but right away anytime a defensive player places their hands on an offensive player it is going to be called no matter what...Lots of early bonus and games dragging on until the adjustment period is over

It'll all depend on the official too. but yes this will cause some issues early...especially for teams that aren't very deep.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby senditin » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:57 pm

FWM - Grafton game, 71 free throw were attempted. Everything was called! I mean everything. Made for a long game. We dont go to games to watch the officials but I guess thats what the hsaa wants.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby jellybean » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:15 pm

senditin wrote:FWM - Grafton game, 71 free throw were attempted. Everything was called! I mean everything. Made for a long game. We dont go to games to watch the officials but I guess thats what the hsaa wants.

That is a sad number of fouls called! If they were consistent to both sides, it is something. So, the kids didn't learn to keep their hands off I would guess. But, with FW, they are a run and gun team, so things could get out of hand with a fast pace game, I suppose. Seems like their JV team would have been finishing it out then with so many fouls called. That would make for a long night!
jellybean
NDPreps Rookie

Postby classB4ever » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
packers21 wrote:HAND CHECKING is going to be huge...just like the college game...Might ease up some once the season gets rolling but right away anytime a defensive player places their hands on an offensive player it is going to be called no matter what...Lots of early bonus and games dragging on until the adjustment period is over

It'll all depend on the official too. but yes this will cause some issues early...especially for teams that aren't very deep.

Personally, I think it's about time they enforced "the rules". And I hope they continue to do it from the pro level all the way down to high school. I also think it will benefit teams that are not deep. It allows younger, less physical kids to at least play. If an older, stronger kid wants to d them up, then use their speed and smarts without pushing and hacking. Believe it or not, I know of teams that are taught to "hack" and "foul hard" because they have a deep bench and can get away with it. Quite frankly, they wear the refs down and start getting away with these hacking fouls. IMHO, I think it is about time the game is called according to the rule book. I think it will make the refs job easier as well by eliminating the gray area as well as each ref interpreting the rules differently. Good players will adjust, and if they don't they will foul out. 2 cents.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby sportsphenom » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:01 pm

classB4ever wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Personally, I think it's about time they enforced "the rules". And I hope they continue to do it from the pro level all the way down to high school. I also think it will benefit teams that are not deep. It allows younger, less physical kids to at least play. If an older, stronger kid wants to d them up, then use their speed and smarts without pushing and hacking. Believe it or not, I know of teams that are taught to "hack" and "foul hard" because they have a deep bench and can get away with it. Quite frankly, they wear the refs down and start getting away with these hacking fouls. IMHO, I think it is about time the game is called according to the rule book. I think it will make the refs job easier as well by eliminating the gray area as well as each ref interpreting the rules differently. Good players will adjust, and if they don't they will foul out. 2 cents.

Agree with you 100% and this is something that should have been done sooner. Its hard to watch a game that turns into a football game by the end of it.
sportsphenom
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby lovwatchingsports » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:58 pm

sportsphenom wrote:
classB4ever wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Agree with you 100% and this is something that should have been done sooner. Its hard to watch a game that turns into a football game by the end of it.

but on he other hand so is a game that is called so close that they can not breathe on each other and you have all the starters on the bench. and I am not talking pushing and hacking. If you go straight by the rule book you could not touch each other. How is that possible.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby classB4ever » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:31 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:but on he other hand so is a game that is called so close that they can not breathe on each other and you have all the starters on the bench. and I am not talking pushing and hacking. If you go straight by the rule book you could not touch each other. How is that possible.

The rule book does not state you cannot touch other players. I believe the emphasis they are talking about will be on pushing players off their line by hand checking, forearm push, etc. If a defensive player gains a legal defensive position, there is nothing wrong with contact, shoulder to chest for example. It is then up to the offensive player not to dislodge him from that legally gained position. In other words, shuffle your feet on d. :D
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby gotgame43 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:42 pm

I think its a good thing when they start enforcing the hand check..play defense with your feet, if you cant keep up, put someone in that can. good officials don't call fouls from the waist down...you should call ALL fouls from the waist up or your letting the opposing team get an advantage. Ive seen too many games where the defense is shoving their opponent around with their hands on the waist because they got tired or lazy and hopefully it will get called from now on.
gotgame43
NDPreps Reserve

Postby bequickdonthurry » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:49 am

See http://nhiaa.org/PDFs/4899/2013-14Baske ... rPoint.pdf

Points of emphasis starts on 26th slide.

Also see http://www.ndhsaa.com/officials_how_to_ ... n_official

Plenty of opportunities to get involved.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:47 am

Good info. Thanks BeQuick!
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby LBC » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:04 pm

Lots of talk about officials calling the game by the rules. Also lots of talk of Defensive hand check, which I totally agree needs to be called. Here is my issue...I am pleading with officials to call the game by the rules, this means that an offensive player does not have a free lane to the basket, I am tired of seeing defensive fouls being called when it is the offensive player that initiates contact. It also means a defensive player, when contesting a shot has a right to his or her space up to the roof, I am tired of seeing good defense being called fouls because officials think that any touch must be a defensive foul. Not all officials, mind you, there are plenty good ones, but I have seen enough.
LBC
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:33 pm

So I had this sent to me today from Kenmare/Ray's 63-58 OT game (media source):

"There were 63 fouls, 83 free shows were shot, the game lasted 2 hours 45 minutes. Ray dressed eight players and three fouled out by the end of regulation. Just as overtime started, a fourth fouled out and then the next two. So, with 9 seconds left in overtime, the Ray Jays were playing with two players on the court."

63 fouls, 83 FTs...that's a lot!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Gunning4ya » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:So I had this sent to me today from Kenmare/Ray's 63-58 OT game (media source):

"There were 63 fouls, 83 free shows were shot, the game lasted 2 hours 45 minutes. Ray dressed eight players and three fouled out by the end of regulation. Just as overtime started, a fourth fouled out and then the next two. So, with 9 seconds left in overtime, the Ray Jays were playing with two players on the court."

That is a crazy amount of fouls. Same thing could happen to many other teams.
Gunning4ya
NDPreps Starter

Postby bequickdonthurry » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:52 am

LBC wrote:Lots of talk about officials calling the game by the rules. Also lots of talk of Defensive hand check, which I totally agree needs to be called. Here is my issue...I am pleading with officials to call the game by the rules, this means that an offensive player does not have a free lane to the basket, I am tired of seeing defensive fouls being called when it is the offensive player that initiates contact. It also means a defensive player, when contesting a shot has a right to his or her space up to the roof, I am tired of seeing good defense being called fouls because officials think that any touch must be a defensive foul. Not all officials, mind you, there are plenty good ones, but I have seen enough.

Agreed.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter

Postby HONKER » Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:01 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:So I had this sent to me today from Kenmare/Ray's 63-58 OT game (media source):

Sounds like it's went a little overboard. They will lose a lot of fan base if it stays that way.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:21 am

HONKER wrote:

Sounds like it's went a little overboard. They will lose a lot of fan base if it stays that way.

Talked to a Velva Alumi, Berthold Velva game. 57 fouls called, six kids fouled out.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:30 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
HONKER wrote:

Talked to a Velva Alumi, Berthold Velva game. 57 fouls called, six kids fouled out.

I agree that 63 and 57 fouls are too many. But it is up to the kids to adjust to how the game is called. I hope the refs stick to their guns because with hand checking and bumping removed from the game, all of a sudden grace and fluidity and George Gervin and Dr. J like moves come back into the game. And Heaven forbid that a post player can gain position on the block and keep it without getting into a sumo match.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:13 pm

Hinsa wrote:I agree that 63 and 57 fouls are too many. But it is up to the kids to adjust to how the game is called. I hope the refs stick to their guns because with hand checking and bumping removed from the game, all of a sudden grace and fluidity and George Gervin and Dr. J like moves come back into the game. And Heaven forbid that a post player can gain position on the block and keep it without getting into a sumo match.

:D Good stuff.
I hope the refs don't feel they are being "force fed" these changes and are on board with them. To me, they might come out early in the season to "set the tone" and then ease up a little after players adjust.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:06 pm

The only problem I would have with these new rules is the same as every other year:

If it's a foul in the 1st quarter it's a foul in the 4th quarter. I don't care if it's a good players 5th foul or a bench players 1st foul, a foul is a foul. Whatever you decide to call, call it both ways.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby HONKER » Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:The only problem I would have with these new rules is the same as every other year:

If it's a foul in the 1st quarter it's a foul in the 4th quarter. I don't care if it's a good players 5th foul or a bench players 1st foul, a foul is a foul. Whatever you decide to call, call it both ways.

I agree 100% with this. Also call it the same on both ends of the floor.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:05 pm

I've watched 3 games this season and I haven't noticed any difference in the way the game has been called. They were all MN games, but I thought this was something brought down by NFHS.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4thegame » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:15 am

LBC wrote:Lots of talk about officials calling the game by the rules. Also lots of talk of Defensive hand check, which I totally agree needs to be called. Here is my issue...I am pleading with officials to call the game by the rules, this means that an offensive player does not have a free lane to the basket, I am tired of seeing defensive fouls being called when it is the offensive player that initiates contact. It also means a defensive player, when contesting a shot has a right to his or her space up to the roof, I am tired of seeing good defense being called fouls because officials think that any touch must be a defensive foul. Not all officials, mind you, there are plenty good ones, but I have seen enough.

totally agree, it's tough to watch games where guards are rewarded for putting their head down and driving to the hoop without any consequences. far to many instances where the defense can do nothing to defend.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Next

Return to Boys