Fantasy High School Basketball

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Fantasy High School Basketball

Postby timberwolf » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:58 pm

How neat would it be if someone (maybe Run... I know he does so much already but hear me out) could set up a standard fantasy game type thing (like fantasy NBA or NFL) for people to use and create their own leagues with 8-12 people/per league and compete against their friends. Maybe their could be a class A and class B version? I realize, it would be tough to get stats from every single team but I really think there would be a neat way to get this done. It would get people cheering for teams and players from all over the state. As for how you get points in this league, perhaps league members could attain points with league members picking team defenses (points allowed, forced turnovers, blocks, and I don't know what else) and 5 players (who get points from getting in the top category for points, rebounds, assists, and idk what else?) This would also get people focusing more on other categories and not just points scored.
So... for example, say my league figured out the drafting order and I got pick 6 out of 12. Lets say I ended up choosing Richman from MV, Heidlebaugh from Rugby, Weston from NS, Dukes from DLB, Chrest from Cavelier, and Beulah's Defense. Let's say one night that Richman and Chrest both scored in the top 20 for points, Weston got in the top 20 for rebounds, and Dukes got in the top 20 for assists, and Beulah gave up 50 points, so I would get so many points (idk how many or how you'd determine points) for my picks doing good things.

Any input is appreciated!!
Maybe so many points can be awarded to league members for their picks scoring, rebounding, assisting, and whatever else in the 0-5 range, 6-10, 11-15, 16-20, 21-25, 26-30, and 31+ or for their team defense holding a team to so many points..??
Think about it guys!!
Run4Happiness
timberwolf
NDPreps Starter

Re: Fantasy High School Basketball

Postby go maji » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:08 pm

that actually sounds really fun
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:04 am

No intent to burst bubbles...but not every school keeps stats or makes them public. Its hard enough to get scores from across the state...stats would be brutal.

The only manageable way to do this is to do it team-wise "fantasy" basketball instead of individuals.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:40 am

A group of dads and I have been doing this for years. At one point we used all statistics, but not all school report, so we only use total points. It is quite entertaining and very easy to set up if you want help with it.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 am

I hate this idea. There is enough talk of stats the way it is. You can already see players who are all about the stats the way it is. We all know players who would just as soon get another 4 or 6 points a game at the expense of team play (success).

Don't get me wrong. I am just as interested in stats as anyone else. But.... I think that this is a huge can of worms, if it were to catch on and if there were ever players who would become involved in it.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby go maji » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:08 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:No intent to burst bubbles...but not every school keeps stats or makes them public. Its hard enough to get scores from across the state...stats would be brutal.

The only manageable way to do this is to do it team-wise "fantasy" basketball instead of individuals.

no offense to class "B", but I don't think stats would be a problem for class "A".
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:13 pm

go maji wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:No intent to burst bubbles...but not every school keeps stats or makes them public. Its hard enough to get scores from across the state...stats would be brutal.

no offense to class "B", but I don't think stats would be a problem for class "A".

They shouldn't be, bigger schools, more kids, more options to find a reliable stats person. In most class B schools the "full stats" aren't completed until the coach watches the game tape and stats the game.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Who would be everyones #1 pick?!
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby go maji » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:43 pm

baloncesto wrote:Who would be everyones #1 pick?!

which class?
go maji
NDPreps All-State

Postby packers21 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:08 pm

go maji wrote:
baloncesto wrote:Who would be everyones #1 pick?!

which class?

this is the class b page
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:32 pm

d_fense wrote:I hate this idea. There is enough talk of stats the way it is. You can already see players who are all about the stats the way it is. We all know players who would just as soon get another 4 or 6 points a game at the expense of team play (success).

Don't get me wrong. I am just as interested in stats as anyone else. But.... I think that this is a huge can of worms, if it were to catch on and if there were ever players who would become involved in it.

Players couldn't become involved in it, assuming there is a monetary prize, as that is an amateurism violation. It has caught on pretty well. I am in three leagues this season. Part of the rules in our league are that the members do not communicate anything about the league to the players in it. I actually played as a player in one of the leagues that I am in, and did not know it existed until about a year after I graduated, and it seems like it has been going on for over a decade.

Also, in a true fantasy format, what is wrong with players focusing on statistics? A selfish goal that benefits a team isn't really a bad thing, is it? If all stats are used, what is the harm of players trying to score as much as possible, while rebounding as much as possible, while getting as many assists as possible, while shooting at the highest percentage possible, et cetera?

LeBron is consistently the best fantasy player, and his team has great success, because good players have good stats, and good teams have good players.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:33 pm

The Schwab wrote:
go maji wrote:

They shouldn't be, bigger schools, more kids, more options to find a reliable stats person. In most class B schools the "full stats" aren't completed until the coach watches the game tape and stats the game.

Bismarck, Turtle Mountain, and Valley City do not report at times.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:59 pm

In leagues where I have played, nothing is worth as much as a made basket, either 2 or 3 points. An assist is worth 1 point in leagues that I have played. If a player is thinking about fantasy stats, a shot may be worth 2 or 3, while a pass may be worth 1 IF my teammate makes his shot. I don't, or wouldn't have a problem with fantasy high school ball if high school players didn't know that it was going on.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby BB11 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:24 pm

I'm assuming that the players know now.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:42 pm

While players may now have a general knowledge that high school fantasy basketball leagues exist, they have absolutely no idea as to whether or not they have been drafted. I have zero intention of looking up the total number of North Dakota high school basketball players, but I would hazard a guess that less than 3% of them are drafted in to our league. Not only that, but I have not given any information other than that the league exists. We could be using Boys only, Girls only, Class A, WDA, EDC, Class B, Region 1, Region 2, Region 3, Region 4, Region 5, Region 6, Region 7, Region 8, District 1, et cetera. The simple knowledge that a league exists provides almost no information as to who is actually eligible to be drafted. Put very simply, there is about a 97% chance that a ND high school basketball player is not drafted in to our league.

As an example, when I was a high school athlete, I was not aware that this existed. However, when I was a high school athlete, I visited this forum consistently, and if I read this topic, I think I would have read it and left it at that. When there is no information to who is in the league, I find it would be too challenging in trying to find information that I can not get. In this current scenario, the only ND high school fantasy leagues that this board is aware of are leagues that I am in. I can then attest to the reality that this information is only available online, in our personal email accounts, so it will be impossible for a ND high school athlete to find out any information about our leagues, other than the fact that they exist.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:48 pm

d_fense wrote:In leagues where I have played, nothing is worth as much as a made basket, either 2 or 3 points. An assist is worth 1 point in leagues that I have played. If a player is thinking about fantasy stats, a shot may be worth 2 or 3, while a pass may be worth 1 IF my teammate makes his shot. I don't, or wouldn't have a problem with fantasy high school ball if high school players didn't know that it was going on.

The way we set up our league when all stats were kept.

Point = +0.5
Made FT = +0.5
Missed FT = -0.5
Made 2 = +1.0
Missed 2 = -1.0
Made 3 = +1.5
Missed 3 =-1.5
Defensive Rebound = 1.5
Offensive Rebound = 2.0
Assist = 1.5
Block = 2.0
Steal = 2.5
Turnover = -3.0

In our old format, there is no benefit to picking up a turnover prone or selfish player.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby d_fense » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:23 am

I have never seen a scoring system like that. Pretty impressive, I like it. You are right. There is not an advantage of being a volume shooter.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:24 am

The major flaw in the system is how undervalued the 3 point shot is. Realistically, shooting 50.0% from 2 is the same as shooting 33.3% from 3, but it is not scored that way in the old system.

3-6 from 2 = 6 points at 50.0%. Net 3 points.
2-6 from 3 = 6 points at 33.3%. Net 0 points.

So if anyone does plan on starting a league, I would recommend...

Made 2 = 1.0 points
Missed 2 = -1.0 points
Made 3 = 1.5 points
Missed 3 = -0.75 points

3-6 from 2 = 6 points at 50.0%. Net 3 points.
2-6 from 2 = 6 points at 33.3%. Net 3 points.

As an FYI, in this format, even or 0 balance shooting would be 50% from 2 and 33.3% from 3, while shooting a lower percentage would result in negative fantasy points, and shooting a higher percentage would result in positive fantasy points. The points in the above examples are all based on the 6 points times 0.5 fantasy points for each point scored in game.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys