Brock Teets On His Way To Bishop Ryan

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Brock Teets On His Way To Bishop Ryan

Postby lioncrazies » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Bishop Ryan has hired Brock Teets as their new Head Boys' Basketball Coach. Teets coaches at rival
Berthold's basketball program for the past five years and also six years prior as head coach in Glenburn. Scott Medalen, who was in his ninth year as head coach, was let go in February. Tyler Ystaas, who was the JV coach during the season, took over in the interim near tournament time last year did not become the permanent head coach.

Here is the full article from the MDN:
http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016

Teets said "It is nothing against Berthold" and that "It was a tough decision to make the move because of the type of athletes I've dealt with out there."

It does seem to me that he did grow close to a lot of people out there as he coached them to three state tournaments.
Teets does live in Minot, so it is definitely an easier commute to practice and games.
It will now be interesting to see who Berthold hires as their new coach. Anyone here have any connections to Berthold and some thoughts and who could coach out there?
lioncrazies
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Brock Teets On His Way To Bishop Ryan

Postby packers21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm

I'm kind of surprised this didn't generate more talk over the summer. Very nice addition to Ryan and big loss for Berthold. Couple questions I have. Who is Bertholds new coach? Did Ystaas stay on as the asst. for Ryan did a good job of filling in in the middle of the year.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Brock Teets On His Way To Bishop Ryan

Postby lions700 » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:31 am

I don't know for sure but I have heard many people say they "thought" Chris Brown was who Berthold hired.

As for Ystaas, I'm not sure right now. Some people were surprised he didn't get the head coaching job. He has another year of school left so I would imagine he has a good chance to return as the JV coach.

It kind of surprised me Brock left Berthold since he got along so well out there. But, he lives in Minot and the drive gets tougher every day with oil traffic. I also heard they have one gym and sometimes practice is in the morning before school and sometimes it changes to after school.

It would have been hard for Berthold to hire a coach that didn't live in the area because it is hard to move there right now with the housing situation. Same for Minot, so if it weren't for Teets, it would have been tough to find a coach that wasn't in house or a former player.
lions700
NDPreps Reserve

Return to Boys