Changing game format to Halves vs Quarters?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Halves or Quarters

Halves
65%
Quarters
35%

Total votes : 26

Changing game format to Halves vs Quarters?

Postby Indians Alumni » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 am

I would like to see the Class B system change its game format to 2 halves over the 4 quarter system. I mean lets prepare them for college, since they use the half format, so does Class A, we already have the shot clock in place so there wouldn't be the 10-12 scores. Just a random thought! :)
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Re: Changing game format to Halves vs Quarters?

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:37 am

I like halves more than quarters, but quarters fits class B better. Halves, especially if you make them 18 minutes, will definitely favor the deeper teams. Also, this notion that having a shot clock or moving to halves better prepares our kids for college ball is silly.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:42 am

Halves are welcomed by me, with all my offspring yet to come through the system... :)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Flip wrote:I like halves more than quarters, but quarters fits class B better. Halves, especially if you make them 18 minutes, will definitely favor the deeper teams. Also, this notion that having a shot clock or moving to halves better prepares our kids for college ball is silly.

I recall this argument....
Theory #1...not many go on to college // but some do, there for better prepared w/o a doubt

Favors Deeper teams??... (sillier IMO) ....its time to get deeper, and in better condition... its time to move on, move forward, and play Basketball and not worry about the Nostalgia of Class B....remember this Forum wasnt started to preserve anything, and Class B Basketball of ND wasn't started with a Bill of Rights and Amendments that things would never differ from the start up. Its already completely different than it ever was and Like Milnor showed this March (and it was epic to the contrary) That you show up as a team and play hard and smart and unselfish and no glamour or hype and you WIN...thats what is important and reminiscent of any dream of a young player who sets out to play class B.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:49 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:I like halves more than quarters, but quarters fits class B better. Halves, especially if you make them 18 minutes, will definitely favor the deeper teams. Also, this notion that having a shot clock or moving to halves better prepares our kids for college ball is silly.

Theory #1...not many go on to college // but some do, there for better prepared w/o a doubt

Favors Deeper teams??... (sillier IMO) ....its time to get deeper, and in better condition... its time to move on, move forward, and play Basketball and not worry about the Nostalgia of Class B....remember this Forum wasnt started to preserve anything, and Class B Basketball of ND wasn't started with a Bill of Rights and Amendments that things would never differ from the start up. Its already completely different than it ever was and Like Milnor showed this March (and it was epic to the contrary) That you show up as a team and play hard and smart and unselfish and no glamour or hype and you WIN...thats what is important and reminiscent of any dream of a young player who sets out to play class B.

Why was Milnor winning so much different then previous winners? They played a heck of a state tournament and ended up on top? The shot clock doesn't prepare kids for the college game and neither does playing halves instead of quarters.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:26 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Why was Milnor winning so much different then previous winners? They played a heck of a state tournament and ended up on top? The shot clock doesn't prepare kids for the college game and neither does playing halves instead of quarters.

Because they weren't the Favorite or the "Hyped team" or the "Supposed to win team" (definitely on this forum).... that's why I mention "contrary and reminiscent"....Excellent Victory!!.. :) .... . I literally Hate the term "David and Goliath" there's simply no such thing and really never was....and yes If College players run three wind sprints and then get a glass of Gatorade and a high school player does the same then he is "getting prepared for college" and so on so forth
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:11 pm

winner-within wrote:Favors Deeper teams??... (sillier IMO)

right the teams with less depth will have an advantage playing more minutes with less breaks...
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Come to Play » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:11 pm

One thing that quarters do is prep the kids 4 times a game to work on their patience and discipline on a last, probably very strategic, well run play. Yes, they have the shot clock for last second shots but it seems to be more dramatic and exciting when there is only one clock running because it is the last play of "something". It should, you would think, give the players some sort of court awareness and time management capabilities. In addition, quarters are also, or could be, momentum changers. One thing that I do miss is the jump ball. Yea, it seemed it was always thrown up crooked, but a jump ball really incorporated that excitement into the game, especially when the 5' 8" guard out jumped the 6'4" center. Then you had really something to talk about "between quarters". Other than that, quarters are just used as benchmarks by the coach and parents to keep track of playing time. An extra 30 second timeout per team, per half, could be incorporated into the 2 half system if initiated. One last thing, and I do not know if this is against posting rules to give one more opinion on another topic other than the original post topic, but here is my observation on the 3 ref system. In previous years, 2 refs were used and they actually wiped their sweat off of their forehead between quarters with the team and floor towel and were into the "game". Now with 3 refs, it is almost worse because the other 2 are waiting for the call from the 3rd ref. Great idea in order to get the most accurate call, but just usually ends up costing the host school an additional $150 per night without any better results.
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:44 am

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:Favors Deeper teams??... (sillier IMO)

right the teams with less depth will have an advantage playing more minutes with less breaks...

Please dont start listing these depleted teams.....Depth is a perception....Depth perception
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:17 am

Like the verbal sparring and quite frankly this website is lacking that as of late, but there is no way you can deny deeper teams will benefit by lengthening the game. Taking away the quarter breaks makes it even more one-sided. Adding timeouts isn't the same either. Not saying I disagree with halves, but deeper teams will benefit.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:24 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Like the verbal sparring and quite frankly this website is lacking that as of late, but there is no way you can deny deeper teams will benefit by lengthening the game. Taking away the quarter breaks makes it even more one-sided. Adding timeouts isn't the same either. Not saying I disagree with halves, but deeper teams will benefit.

There are no to equal teams out there when it comes to starting 5 and or bench in Class B ND regardless of enrollment.........and the majority have less bench (so it equals them more) ....and I also know for sure, that there are players not playing that should be in many match ups throughout the year

Basketball was invented on halves
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:32 am

winner-within wrote:
Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Like the verbal sparring and quite frankly this website is lacking that as of late, but there is no way you can deny deeper teams will benefit by lengthening the game. Taking away the quarter breaks makes it even more one-sided. Adding timeouts isn't the same either. Not saying I disagree with halves, but deeper teams will benefit.

There are no to equal teams out there when it comes to starting 5 and or bench in Class B ND regardless of enrollment.........and the majority have less bench (so it equals them more) ....and I also know for sure, that there are players not playing that should be in many match ups throughout the year

You are correct, it was. Two 15 minute halves if I recall. But you seem to want to play on both sides of the fence.

winner-within wrote:

First you imply we need to let go of the past and move on. Then you imply that we need to go back to how the game was invented.
Last edited by Bison-Vikes #1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:33 am

So let me get your last comment straight winner, you are saying that coaches aren't playing the right players during "many match ups" throughout the year?
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:03 am

The Schwab wrote:So let me get your last comment straight winner, you are saying that coaches aren't playing the right players during "many match ups" throughout the year?

Depth (like I said) is a perception.....the right players are playing, and some splinter pickers should be too
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:12 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

You are correct, it was. Two 15 minute halves if I recall. But you seem to want to play on both sides of the fence.

winner-within wrote:

First you imply we need to let go of the past and move on. Then you imply that we need to go back to how the game was invented.

When ever I mention "move on from the past" (when it comes to Class B)....I'm not referring to Rules, I'm referring to we will never get back to when we had 50 more teams than we do now....we will never get back to the days that are reflected upon in the show "one shining moment" ...is it sad, and Ironically was the show produced at the right time in class B?? yep!.... but those days are gone........its a different product now, its commercialized, and there is AAU, and summer ball, and way more camps.
but there is still the cry to have justice on the little guy...or the middle guy etc etc.....How about we just play ball with 2 halves and a shot clock, 2 refs (because three has done nothing different) and may the best team win.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:18 am

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:So let me get your last comment straight winner, you are saying that coaches aren't playing the right players during "many match ups" throughout the year?

Depth (like I said) is a perception.....the right players are playing, and some splinter pickers should be too

In class B basketball in North Dakota, if you are working on your game during the off-season you will not be a "splinter picker". I do however agree with you on the 2 refs instead of 3.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:29 am

winner-within wrote:How about we just play ball with 2 halves and a shot clock, 2 refs (because three has done nothing different) and may the best team win.

I guess I interpreted your posts differently. I too agree with going back to 2 refs. We will be looking at a shortage of officials in the very near future and the "perceived" benefits of the 3-man crew isn't there.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:43 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:
winner-within wrote:How about we just play ball with 2 halves and a shot clock, 2 refs (because three has done nothing different) and may the best team win.

I guess I interpreted your posts differently. I too agree with going back to 2 refs. We will be looking at a shortage of officials in the very near future and the "perceived" benefits of the 3-man crew isn't there.

all the kids now days that will be moving into the Ranks of JV and V are not only used to halves they are used to halves and the Game clock dont stop.. :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:07 pm

http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/colum ... 963f4.html
During the basketball season, Bismarck Demons basketball coach Steve Miller said something that has stuck with me.

Miller has coached BHS teams for 23 seasons, winning 505 games and capturing six state championships.

He also officiated games for many years. In that time he’s developed a clear preference for the 18-minute halves played in Class A basketball.

He said the old 8-minute quarters cast “unnecessary interruptions” into the game.

“I think the flow of the game is much different with the 18-minute halves,” he said at the time. “... More kids get a chance to play. You have to open your rotation more.”

Plus, halves cut the temptation to hold the ball for “the last shot” from four to two.

We all know, don’t we, that all too often the last shot turned into the final turnover.

A couple of good arguments made by Miller, no surprise here that winner made none of these.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:14 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:

In class B basketball in North Dakota, if you are working on your game during the off-season you will not be a "splinter picker". I do however agree with you on the 2 refs instead of 3.

Tell that to Matt Ratchenski, formerly of Cavalier Tornadoes....Played his Jr year on JV (real deal, loved the game) and then Started on Varsity his Sr year (and was the real deal) and played not a minute on Varsity his Jr year, when they were in desperate need of a Point guard that year too....
]
this scenario is all over (not every school every year, but drifts in and out of systems regularly) the State in Boys/Girls Class B and you know it is Schwab
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:17 pm

Flip wrote:http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/columnists/steve-thomas/one-more-time-seed-state-basketball-tournaments/article_23747c10-a647-11e2-8ca2-0019bb2963f4.html
During the basketball season, Bismarck Demons basketball coach Steve Miller said something that has stuck with me.

Miller has coached BHS teams for 23 seasons, winning 505 games and capturing six state championships.

He also officiated games for many years. In that time he’s developed a clear preference for the 18-minute halves played in Class A basketball.

He said the old 8-minute quarters cast “unnecessary interruptions” into the game.

“I think the flow of the game is much different with the 18-minute halves,” he said at the time. “... More kids get a chance to play. You have to open your rotation more.”

Plus, halves cut the temptation to hold the ball for “the last shot” from four to two.

We all know, don’t we, that all too often the last shot turned into the final turnover.

A couple of good arguments made by Miller, no surprise here that winner made none of these.

... .....I'm staying nuts and bolts on this one
and yes I said the the ones grounded to the airport now get to fly
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 pm

I did not say that kids who love the game would play, I said that kids who put the work in during the off-season will play on a class B team. And coaches do not play favorites as often as you think, yes some do, but a majority don't.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 pm

The Schwab wrote:I did not say that kids who love the game would play, I said that kids who put the work in during the off-season will play on a class B team. And coaches do not play favorites as often as you think, yes some do, but a majority don't.

You can love the game and ignore the efficiency of the off season, and the discipline of the off season (matt didn't ignore )...and its usually not favorites but yet politics and power
Last edited by winner-within on Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:31 pm

This might be a good topic to put to vote. Does Run put the voting polls at the top of the page on other threads? Would be fun to see how the readers on here feel about quarters vs. halves. Could maybe do it with the reffing crews as well, 2 vs. 3. Just a thought.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:30 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:This might be a good topic to put to vote. Does Run put the voting polls at the top of the page on other threads? Would be fun to see how the readers on here feel about quarters vs. halves. Could maybe do it with the reffing crews as well, 2 vs. 3. Just a thought.

I added a poll to this thread...
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Next

Return to Boys