Changing game format to Halves vs Quarters?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Halves or Quarters

Halves
65%
Quarters
35%

Total votes : 26

Re: Changing game format to Halves vs Quarters?

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:52 pm

winner-within wrote:
Flip wrote:http://bismarcktribune.com/sports/columnists/steve-thomas/one-more-time-seed-state-basketball-tournaments/article_23747c10-a647-11e2-8ca2-0019bb2963f4.html
During the basketball season, Bismarck Demons basketball coach Steve Miller said something that has stuck with me.

Miller has coached BHS teams for 23 seasons, winning 505 games and capturing six state championships.

He also officiated games for many years. In that time he’s developed a clear preference for the 18-minute halves played in Class A basketball.

He said the old 8-minute quarters cast “unnecessary interruptions” into the game.

“I think the flow of the game is much different with the 18-minute halves,” he said at the time. “... More kids get a chance to play. You have to open your rotation more.”

Plus, halves cut the temptation to hold the ball for “the last shot” from four to two.

We all know, don’t we, that all too often the last shot turned into the final turnover.

A couple of good arguments made by Miller, no surprise here that winner made none of these.

... .....I'm staying nuts and bolts on this one
and yes I said the the ones grounded to the airport now get to fly

Couldn't you also take Miller's statement as exactly what has been mentioned on here? Of course, more kids get to play, they are forced too. Still doesn't take away from the fact that deeper teams will benefit. The unnecessary interruptions mentioned are often needed to keep a game within reach. I do agree, more kids will have to play to keep players fresh, but the discrepancy often used between class A and class B (players 3 - 8 ), would now come more into play in class B. Deeper teams prevail.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm not sure if you're talking to me or winner, but I thought the good points made by Miller were that the flow was better and you didn't have unnecessary interruptions.

I voted for quarters because it is a better fit for class B, but like I said earlier I like playing halves better.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:47 am

Flip wrote:I'm not sure if you're talking to me or winner, but I thought the good points made by Miller were that the flow was better and you didn't have unnecessary interruptions.

I voted for quarters because it is a better fit for class B, but like I said earlier I like playing halves better.

he said this Flip.........“I think the flow of the game is much different with the 18-minute halves,” he said at the time. “... More kids get a chance to play. You have to open your rotation more.

I will vote Halves because whoever thinks that the deeper teams dont prevail with quarters is smoking grass... 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:29 am

Flip wrote:I'm not sure if you're talking to me or winner, but I thought the good points made by Miller were that the flow was better and you didn't have unnecessary interruptions.

Wasn't directed towards anyone, just a general observation. And I too agree with halves being fine and quarters being a better fit for B.

winner-within wrote:I will vote Halves because whoever thinks that the deeper teams dont prevail with quarters is smoking grass... 8)

Wow, winner, just when I thought you were losing the debate, you write the statement above and completely redeem yourself. :D
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby lovwatchingsports » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:10 am

winner-within wrote:

he said this Flip.........“I think the flow of the game is much different with the 18-minute halves,” he said at the time. “... More kids get a chance to play. You have to open your rotation more.

I will vote Halves because whoever thinks that the deeper teams dont prevail with quarters is smoking grass... 8)

It is what it is but deeper teams will have a better chance to win with halves. If team A has 6 players that you would say that can play at a high level and team B has 8, team B has the advantage IMO
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:02 pm

lovwatchingsports wrote:
winner-within wrote:

It is what it is but deeper teams will have a better chance to win with halves. If team A has 6 players that you would say that can play at a high level and team B has 8, team B has the advantage IMO

Logically yes...I'm not pushing for halves but If I was in a vote I would vote halves and obviously so would 6 more people...what surprises me is this thread has been hit 600 times or so and nobody is voting.....

Once again deeper teams have the advantage to start with..
then have a better chance if its 4 more minutes in all and no quarter breaks?? I hesitate to agree, for the simple fact Basketball is a game of runs and momentum and whats deeper?? do you have more big guys or more speed coming in? ..
I actually think that we experienced more of what a shot clock does to the game in the second year of it compared to the first, just like when the 3 pointer came into play its now a huge part of the game as will the shot clock be in time....the shot clock promotes Defense and certain types of them like the 2-3 zone (if played right).....the attempt to hold the other team to the buzzer is now a reality...so there is your bad shot selection, and its not even at quarter break ...... so I dont agree with that one for a reason to go halves.
what would halves do to the game when it comes to Class B ND?? it would get PLAYERS more PT and in general it would blend better with the 3 point line and the shot clock to promote a faster paced game...and yes our Strong Mid-western Kids would be able to Handle it.....but the fans might start huffin and puffin just watching.... :D
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby JohnStarksTheDunk » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:06 am

Halves would be tough for some of the small Class B schools. Coaches are already juggling lineups pretty hard to stay competitive in the B squad games with 6 quarters allowed for a player. Lots of coaches play varsity bench guys in the 1st and 3rd or the 2nd and 4th. If you put in halves, you've taken that away.
JohnStarksTheDunk
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:01 pm

JohnStarksTheDunk wrote:Halves would be tough for some of the small Class B schools. Coaches are already juggling lineups pretty hard to stay competitive in the B squad games with 6 quarters allowed for a player. Lots of coaches play varsity bench guys in the 1st and 3rd or the 2nd and 4th. If you put in halves, you've taken that away.

I mentioned this previously in a different thread, but this is a great point. Playing quarters give you a lot more versatility with kids that contribute on the varsity and jv levels.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:27 pm

Quick question and maybe I missed this in a previous post - What are the limits if you go to two halves? Is a player limited to 3 halves a night, so many minutes a night, or what? I know that a lot of Class B coaches from smaller schools were very happy when the NDHSAA switched it from 5 qtrs a night to 6 because of depth problems or lack of number problems. If the switch were to lower the amount of playing time in a night, the smaller schools will not be in favor.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:23 pm

MN is 3 halves, I believe class A (ND) is the same. The rule in MN used to be you could not play 3 consecutive halves. They got rid of that after the 1st year, it was a bad rule.

It gives teams a lot more flexibility to play kids 3 quarters in each game.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby packers21 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:48 am

I would like to see the switch to halves. For the people wondering how the minutes would play out. You can play 3 halves a night, many of the northeast North Dakota teams that play Minnesota teams during the reg. season actually prefer this, makes managing the quarters a night a lot easier.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby winner-within » Wed May 01, 2013 11:49 am

packers21 wrote:I would like to see the switch to halves. For the people wondering how the minutes would play out. You can play 3 halves a night, many of the northeast North Dakota teams that play Minnesota teams during the reg. season actually prefer this, makes managing the quarters a night a lot easier.

Thats right ......also Coach throws in a player to protect a starter from foul trouble with 1:50 left in the 1st and burns up a quarter of play....9 times outta 10 that reserve doesn't come out to star the second.......another scenario plays into the game and that is at the end of the 3erd fans leave if the game is lopsided ....well, now they have to all try skip out as the game plays or at a time out etc etc
I think halves hold the attention of the fan better
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed May 01, 2013 12:42 pm

winner-within wrote:
packers21 wrote:I would like to see the switch to halves. For the people wondering how the minutes would play out. You can play 3 halves a night, many of the northeast North Dakota teams that play Minnesota teams during the reg. season actually prefer this, makes managing the quarters a night a lot easier.

Thats right ......also Coach throws in a player to protect a starter from foul trouble with 1:50 left in the 1st and burns up a quarter of play....9 times outta 10 that reserve doesn't come out to star the second.......another scenario plays into the game and that is at the end of the 3erd fans leave if the game is lopsided ....well, now they have to all try skip out as the game plays or at a time out etc etc

also Coach throws in a player to protect a starter from foul trouble with 1:50 left in the 1st HALF and burns up a HALF of play

Same scenario could happen with halves there winner....
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 01, 2013 1:14 pm

This is obvious. There are are 4 ways you can play 3 halves in a night. There are at least 20 ways you can play a combination of 6 quarters in a night.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed May 01, 2013 1:15 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:

also Coach throws in a player to protect a starter from foul trouble with 1:50 left in the 1st HALF and burns up a HALF of play

Same scenario could happen with halves there winner....

no because 1:50 left in the first while pertaining to halves leaves no breaks for the coach to worry....hense what pakers 21 stated "easier for a coach to manage" my example was that the coach made a knee jerk reaction and bam, lost mins with a player
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Sportsrube » Wed May 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Flip wrote:MN is 3 halves, I believe class A (ND) is the same. The rule in MN used to be you could not play 3 consecutive halves. They got rid of that after the 1st year, it was a bad rule.

It gives teams a lot more flexibility to play kids 3 quarters in each game.

Thanks for the info Flip. In the case of halves you could then possible play more minutes every night also. (6 eight minute quarters vs 3 eighteen minute halves) I can see where it would be easier for coaches to manage and I buy the idea that it would make the game flow better, but I still think it will be a tough sell to teams with fewer players in the program.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

winner-within wrote:no because 1:50 left in the first while pertaining to halves leaves no breaks for the coach to worry....hense what pakers 21 stated "easier for a coach to manage" my example was that the coach made a knee jerk reaction and bam, lost mins with a player

You can't make a knee jerk reaction if you play halves?

I've read your post like 12 times and it makes no sense to me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Sportsrube wrote:Thanks for the info Flip. In the case of halves you could then possible play more minutes every night also. (6 eight minute quarters vs 3 eighteen minute halves) I can see where it would be easier for coaches to manage and I buy the idea that it would make the game flow better, but I still think it will be a tough sell to teams with fewer players in the program.

I can't speak for class A (ND), but I have never seen a JV game in MN play 18 minute halves. Most play 16 minute halves, some 14.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed May 01, 2013 3:12 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:no because 1:50 left in the first while pertaining to halves leaves no breaks for the coach to worry....hense what pakers 21 stated "easier for a coach to manage" my example was that the coach made a knee jerk reaction and bam, lost mins with a player

You can't make a knee jerk reaction if you play halves?

I've read your post like 12 times and it makes no sense to me.

your the one that said it was "obvious" that managing a game played by halves is easier
so?? .....less knee jerk reactions ...Right???
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Wed May 01, 2013 5:33 pm

winner-within wrote:your the one that said it was "obvious" that managing a game played by halves is easier

This makes sense, with more breaks there are more chances for a coach to screw up. I'll add more later.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu May 02, 2013 7:37 am

its sorta like this for me when it comes to rules of the game, and how the game is played, or what may be coming down the road......in other words if certain things are inevitable (halves, shot clock, 3 pointer, more leniency with physical play etc) then lets get it going and make the change......If everybody around us were still playing quarters then thats fine too.....but I really do think that Class b can handle halves, and that its actually coming without any of us advocating ..
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 am

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:your the one that said it was "obvious" that managing a game played by halves is easier

This makes sense, with more breaks there are more chances for a coach to screw up. I'll add more later.

When I've coached we always "managed" players' quarters/halves before the game started. The players know the plan before every game and we don't have "knee jerk" reactions.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri May 03, 2013 1:37 am

winner-within wrote:its sorta like this for me when it comes to rules of the game, and how the game is played, or what may be coming down the road......in other words if certain things are inevitable (halves, shot clock, 3 pointer, more leniency with physical play etc) then lets get it going and make the change......If everybody around us were still playing quarters then thats fine too.....but I really do think that Class b can handle halves, and that its actually coming without any of us advocating ..

I can actually respect a post like this, instead of just making stuff up and throwing it out there.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri May 03, 2013 8:58 am

Flip wrote:
Flip wrote:

When I've coached we always "managed" players' quarters/halves before the game started. The players know the plan before every game and we don't have "knee jerk" reactions.
Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:its sorta like this for me when it comes to rules of the game, and how the game is played, or what may be coming down the road......in other words if certain things are inevitable (halves, shot clock, 3 pointer, more leniency with physical play etc) then lets get it going and make the change......If everybody around us were still playing quarters then thats fine too.....but I really do think that Class b can handle halves, and that its actually coming without any of us advocating ..

I can actually respect a post like this, instead of just making stuff up and throwing it out there.

I've never asked....and I certainly dont care if you respect any of my posts.....I know you dont know me personally and If you did, you would know I dont make anything up.....also you should concentrate on not making knee jerk reaction posts, especially if you made none coaching... :wink:
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Fri May 03, 2013 11:55 am

winner-within wrote:I know you dont know me personally and If you did, you would know I dont make anything up

It wouldn't matter if I knew you IRL you can't change what you've said in the past and some of it is made up.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys