Hagler and the boys

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Hagler and the boys

Postby Come to Play » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:18 am

Hagler to Jamestown College--Very smart decision, plenty of competition, can continue his playing time as in North Star--but remembering that he is in college now, and nothing is a given. Too many times area athletes have been recruited or talked about for D-1 levels or great D-2 levels (20 yrs ago UND and NDSU) and have been red shirted for first year. The enthusiasm is then sucked out of them somewhat. Example-Scott Guldseth, Edinburg HS, went to LSU, ended up at UND and was a star. Todd Olson, Cavalier HS, went to UND, ended up at Mayville and fit fairly well. These are just a couple but I'm sure a lot of people in this forum have lots of other examples.
Come to Play
NDPreps Rookie

Re: Hagler and the boys

Postby winner-within » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:18 pm

In Scotts case it was more of a Culture shock (homesick)...he could have played there easily .....actually today's game calls for a Gulseth in D1 more than ever 6'5" 2 gaurd.

In Todds case he was to slow and could have never defended at UND....and Like Hag he had the green light to shoot every time, hence 2600 points....and 2200 or whatever Hag got....never hurts to have the Supt or the Head coach being your father.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:08 pm

I'd argue that 16 shots/game isn't having a green light to shoot every time.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby kramer85 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:55 pm

What I can't figure out is why would Hagler average less his senior year than his junior year if his Dad was running everything for him? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe North Star has had 5 1000 point scorers and 3 of them over 1500. Maybe they are all his kids.
kramer85
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:36 am

kramer85 wrote:What I can't figure out is why would Hagler average less his senior year than his junior year if his Dad was running everything for him? Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe North Star has had 5 1000 point scorers and 3 of them over 1500. Maybe they are all his kids.

that rumor got dispelled in the early 2000s
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys