2013 CLASS B BBB ALL-STATE

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2013 CLASS B BBB ALL-STATE

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 am

Big Blue wrote:Packers 21, you make it seem like District 4 was one of the best in the state and District 3 was the worst. In real life, District 4 was slightly better than District 3. Just slightly. Both were in the bottom fourth for worst districts in the state. There is absolutely no way that there were seven better players than Wathne in District 4. If there was some consistent scoring around him this year, GCC would have been a top 2 team in the region. You put Billy Engel on that team and they work through to state. Probably finish ever better than eighth. Don't judge one player poorly because he didn't play in a top district.

I'd take any of those guys over him, any day of the week. IMO its laughable he is 2nd team all-state, very good player yes, good numbers no competition. Many more deserving players were left off.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am

scc wrote:I'd like to add that the players don't have control over who they play in the regular season. GCC lost in the region quarterfinals by 1 point, which may or may not have been influenced by a missing high school 3-point line. I should also mention the media in each part of the state often get input from the coaches. I don't think their mindsets necessarily skew with packers21.

What!! I've always been under the impression the players did schedule the games! The reason I talked about the schedule is bc they did not play top quality teams that could defend him.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 am

"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am

Big Blue wrote:"Self-praise is for losers. Be a winner. Stand for something. Always have class, and be humble." - John Madden

Good for you, you figured out how to copy and paste. Nothing I said has anything to do with this.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Big Blue » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am

I copy and paste with the best of them.
Last edited by Big Blue on Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby packers21 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:53 am

I should probably clarify my arguement just bc I think those guys are better doesnt mean I think R2 should of had anyone on the all-state teams. I already said I thought Lovchik was the biggest snub so I would replace Wathne with him and leave Region 2 with 0 on the team.
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ninja_joe » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:09 pm

We all know there are deserving players left off of the Class B All State team every year. Lovcik should definitely be on the team. Stetson Carr should be there too as should Crest from Cavalier. But to say that the players who were named to the team are underserving...I don't get statements like that.

As far as the Bentz kid from Trenton goes, in likely the biggest game of his career, it's my recollection he put up 29pts 12 rbs in the Class B State Tourney semi final game vs. Four Winds. His team barely lost that game, but Trenton ended up with a 3rd place finish. I believe he averaged a double double in the state B & was named to the state B all tourney team. Not too shabby. His season stats more than back up his selection to the Class B all state team...plus being district & region player of year & on one of the better teams in the state of ND...tough not to have him on there. The kid from Griggs Co. shouldn't be ripped for being chosen for the team either. Sounds like a pretty good player to alot of us on this site.

It would be nice if the sportscasters who choose this team could have easily chosen to add 3 more players to the team. And for some posters on this site to rip those kids chosen for the team...I don't get it.
Last edited by ninja_joe on Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm

I won't defend Wathne's all-state selection to the death, but I don't think it is an embarrassing selection either. If you judge Wathne on just basketball skills alone, then yes, there were many better than him. But you also have to take into account work ethic, desire, and hustle. From that standpoint, Wathne had no peers. He was the hardest working player I saw all year and that includes Region 2, some of region 1, some Minnesota schools, and the state tournament.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:53 pm

There is no way Kris Wathne should be on this list!! Several others could have been on it instead. They messed that up due to a down year in region 2.
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby ambition13 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm

scc wrote:Region 2 turned out right. As for Region 1, they had four all-staters, and I think could have had a fifth. Austen Archer from FSHP ranks right up there.

If Archer goes on then you can make a case for Mund from Milnor and Christensen from OG.
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby cardinal10 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:46 pm

Flip wrote:If you break NDSHAA training regulations during the season are you allowed to receive postseason individual awards?

Coaches that choose awards like SrPOY, coaches assoc. Awards, etc. Have guidelines to follow that account for off the field issues because they care about stuff like that. The media (that chooses the all state BB teams)...well their job is to sell newspapers and advertising
cardinal10
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:30 pm

scc wrote:
ambition13 wrote:
scc wrote:Region 2 turned out right. As for Region 1, they had four all-staters, and I think could have had a fifth. Austen Archer from FSHP ranks right up there.

If Archer goes on then you can make a case for Mund from Milnor and Christensen from OG.

You make a good point. Region 1 was pretty strong this year.

I know north star was very balanced this year but with Grandes numbers I think either of those two could've made it over him. Yes he was a great player and did many great things and I understand his scoring went down because of more balance but I think because Mund had better numbers on a team that made it further and won it all, he should've had done serious consideration. Same goes with Christianson, but I'm not trying to bash grande at all. I have seen him play countless times and he is truly a winner and does many of the little unnoticed things
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Any thoughts on this? Does him being all state last year give him a better chance this year?
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 am

Definitely feel that Region 3 should have been represented. However, I would not take Jacobson over Olson or Meiklejon. I also think that Mund is a much better player than Wathne.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:31 am

EHS1998 wrote:Definitely feel that Region 3 should have been represented. However, I would not take Jacobson over Olson or Meiklejon. I also think that Mund is a much better player than Wathne.

I agree. I think with the season Lamoure had and the talent they have, they deserve a player on the team
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:49 pm

baloncesto wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:Definitely feel that Region 3 should have been represented. However, I would not take Jacobson over Olson or Meiklejon. I also think that Mund is a much better player than Wathne.

I agree. I think with the season Lamoure had and the talent they have, they deserve a player on the team

LaMoure had a very good season, but they do not have any all state players. Olson had a very nice state tournament but from the four games I saw him play in the regular season, he wasn't one of their best two, three, and sometimes four best players. After playing so well at state however, I am sure it will propell him to an outstanding season next year.

laMoure is a well coached and always play hard. Meiklejon is easily their best player, but he isn't an all stater.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:28 pm

Grande getting on last year definitely helped. It isn't like he actually got a lot worse, if worse at all. They just had more guys score. He was one of the top 15 players in Class B, fairly easily I might add.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:12 pm

balla45 wrote:Grande getting on last year definitely helped. It isn't like he actually got a lot worse, if worse at all. They just had more guys score. He was one of the top 15 players in Class B, fairly easily I might add.

Does north star have any state caliber players coming back? I haven't seen enough of Weston this year to know how good he could be
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:23 pm

baloncesto wrote:
balla45 wrote:Grande getting on last year definitely helped. It isn't like he actually got a lot worse, if worse at all. They just had more guys score. He was one of the top 15 players in Class B, fairly easily I might add.

Does north star have any state caliber players coming back? I haven't seen enough of Weston this year to know how good he could be

Weston is such a crap shoot. One game he out plays a first team all state player, Holte, and then a few weeks later he doesn't score a point in the Region 4 Championship game. Has the ability, but like many players, it's going to matter if his head is there. Christian Kvilvang will be interesting to watch he is 6'4" shooter has good inside moves good, not great, defender. Will be a Junior next year. After them there are 2 8th Graders, Freshmen next year. They will be very good, should be at some point all-state players. Both will start for the Bearcats next year.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm

CC1983 wrote:
baloncesto wrote:

Weston is such a crap shoot. One game he out plays a first team all state player, Holte, and then a few weeks later he doesn't score a point in the Region 4 Championship game. Has the ability, but like many players, it's going to matter if his head is there. Christian Kvilvang will be interesting to watch he is 6'4" shooter has good inside moves good, not great, defender. Will be a Junior next year. After them there are 2 8th Graders, Freshmen next year. They will be very good, should be at some point all-state players. Both will start for the Bearcats next year.

I saw them more last year than this year. But when I saw kvilvang. He seemed like he had potential. I have heard some about jett hettich. will be be beulah`s go to guy next year or what do they have coming back
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby beasteast » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:08 am

Nothing against Hasleau, but Bresnahan brought a whole new dynamic to the court. He beat Hasleau in every category besides rebounds, but Bresnahan is also only 5' 9". Bresnahan was well-deserving of 1st Team All-State.
beasteast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby BBSportsFan » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:22 am

beasteast wrote:Nothing against Hasleau, but Bresnahan brought a whole new dynamic to the court. He beat Hasleau in every category besides rebounds, but Bresnahan is also only 5' 9". Bresnahan was well-deserving of 1st Team All-State.

Had the opportunity this last weekend to watch Hasleau and Breshnahan play on the same team in the Grand Am. Both extremely talented, ball handling, their drive to the hoop, I wouldn't deny either of them their all state award. I do have to say, of all the athletes I watched this weekend, my first pick if I was putting a team together, would be Hasleau - the kid is smooth as silk.
BBSportsFan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NoIinTeam » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:34 pm

Not trying to knock Hasleau at all, but all around play goes to Ellery in my book. Head to head I feel Ellery won the matchups with Hasleau the last couple years.
Hasleau does have a beautiful "smooth as silk" jump shot. He wasn't quite as smooth with Ellery in his face the last couple years.
Defense, passing, penetrating and fast breaks I would go with Ellery. Jump shot off the dribble I would take Hasleau. Depends what type of player you want to lead your team. My vote is Ellery.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby beasteast » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:34 am

Ellery is just a better all-around player. And his team beat Hasleau's every time it had mattered this year.
beasteast
NDPreps Rookie

Postby MNTwinsFan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm

beasteast wrote:Ellery is just a better all-around player. And his team beat Hasleau's every time it had mattered this year.

Ellery has always had better depth and talent around him to help him out on both ends of the floor. I'll take Haseleu as will Region I coaches since he was named Senior Athlete of the Year. This is not a slap-in-the-face to Ellery, he is a great player as well.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys