Salute to Jon Cole

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Salute to Jon Cole

Postby Big Blue » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:22 am

There have been a lot of comments about KVLY's coverage of state and the signing of the state tournaments to Forum Communications. But I think there needs to be a spot to talk about what people will really miss about the state basketball tournaments: Jon Cole. Sure there are people that don't like how he yells into the mic and ultimately is a spitter, but the guy oozes energy, enthusiasm and love of the game. Now that I don't have a chance to watch his nightly sports on KUMV, I am currently going through a loss knowing that he won't be back next season. This one's for you Jon! A great guy, energetic announcer and an individual with the rosiest cheeks in the business! This is my salute to you.
Jon Cole interviewing himself after finding out that KVLY was not given the contract for the state tournaments: "It's been quite the run. You guys came out here and gave it your best. You have to be happy that you ended your career right here at the B, huh?"
Thanks Jon.
Big Blue
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Salute to Jon Cole

Postby Makotifarmguy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 am

I am an old rancher so I am pretty sure I am supposed to hate change.....here is my 2 bits on this.

John has been there and while he could use some pointers, he is what we know. I think the guy who deserves the credit in all of this is Lee Timberman. You can't say the name without knowing what he does. He is a professional and to be honest I can't imagine a state event without him. He along with the others will be missed.

A special thank you to Lee, John, and everyone else who gave their weekends to bring us coverage of the games.
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:23 am

NBC could have bid higher, and then they would still be able to cover the tournament. The tournament will still go on.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am

I'm looking forward to the change, especially to be able to watch the tourney in HD. It's pretty bad when the "Classic Focus" pieces from 20+ years ago are of the same quality of what we are currently watching. Also thought the commentators were terrible. I can't even remember how many bad mistakes (pronouncing names/towns incorrectly, not knowing facts about co-ops, communities, and schools, and incorrect rule interpretation, etc.) I counted this past weekend. You'd think they would do some studying in the week leading up to the tourney, but it seemed like they just showed up and winged it. Watched the championship night in a bar and couldn't hear a thing and it was better to watch.

I do happen to enjoy John Cole and his enthusiasm for class B basketball, though. That will be missed.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Makotifarmguy wrote:I am an old rancher so I am pretty sure I am supposed to hate change.....here is my 2 bits on this.

John has been there and while he could use some pointers, he is what we know. I think the guy who deserves the credit in all of this is Lee Timberman. You can't say the name without knowing what he does. He is a professional and to be honest I can't imagine a state event without him. He along with the others will be missed.

A special thank you to Lee, John, and everyone else who gave their weekends to bring us coverage of the games.

I totally agreee with you on Lee Timmerman. I think he does a fantastic job covering the state tournaments. I really don't feel sorry for Jon Cole or anybody at NBC. If they wanted to broadcast the state tournaments, they could have bid higher. They have no one to blame but themselves. I will say that the energy that Jon Cole exuded was second to none.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Return to Boys