halftime entertainment

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

halftime entertainment

Postby 4thegame » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 pm

any ideas on what can be done to make it "entertaining?" id like to see something other than some dance team.
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: halftime entertainment

Postby Makotifarmguy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:24 am

Cage fighting. :D
"Take the bull by the horns"
Makotifarmguy
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:49 am

You can never go wrong with the FM Acro team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:50 pm

Flip wrote:You can never go wrong with the FM Acro team.

agreed...but there schedule is usually really full! Tonight they are in Greensboro, NC at the ACC Tourney
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:59 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:agreed...but there schedule is usually really full! Tonight they are in Greensboro, NC at the ACC Tourney

Yep, last year they couldn't schedule any NBA games because of the lockout.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 pm

Flip wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:agreed...but there schedule is usually really full! Tonight they are in Greensboro, NC at the ACC Tourney

Yep, last year they couldn't schedule any NBA games because of the lockout.

They get plenty of college 'gigs'...but there is also more than one Acro Team. All of their teams put on a great show...you may not be able to book the top squad but the other squads are options.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:06 pm

Way back in they day I know they performed at halftime of the District 6 championship game. They have also had one of the lesser teams and the main team perform in our little gym. There is a girl from our school on the team, so that was probably the reason for that. But you're right they perform at many college venues, mostly in the Midwest.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:18 pm

Flip wrote:Way back in they day I know they performed at halftime of the District 6 championship game. They have also had one of the lesser teams and the main team perform in our little gym. There is a girl from our school on the team, so that was probably the reason for that. But you're right they perform at many college venues, mostly in the Midwest.

We had there younger groups out to our gym last year for JV & Varsity halftimes (we have multiple girls in acro at our School; 2 on the main squad)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NeverEndingJumpers » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:17 am

4thegame wrote:any ideas on what can be done to make it "entertaining?" id like to see something other than some dance team.

have to agree with this, from districts on, it is almost all young kids on a dance team or gymnastics...although im sure it is cool for those young kids and we arent at the games for the halftime shows, i think as the competition level of the basketball teams get higher so should the creativity/skill level of halftime entertainment
NeverEndingJumpers
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Sportsrube » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:32 pm

I agree that the dancing teams need to stop. Why do we need halftime entertainment anyway, if you watch the crowd everyone is texting or surfing on their phones and no one is paying attention anyway. Its only 10 minutes, if you can't sit for that long without being entertained you have other issues you need to deal with! Also, I am sure the teams love it when they walk out to warm-up and some halftime show is still going on and they have to sit and wait. Do away with all the halftime entertainment.
(Ok, I'm done with my grumpy old man rant now)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:38 pm

I agree dance teams are bad. I say just have a half court shootout
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:45 am

OK, boys, you hit my hot button with this one. I'll start with this. What's the big talk in the country right now? All the kids are sitting around playing video games, eating chips, and getting fat on the couch. Well, guess what? All the little Johnnys and Susies out there can't play basketball.

Example: the school in my town has about 25 to 35 girls per grade, and if you estimate that there is room for roughly 5 girls per grade on the ball team that leaves 20 or 30 girls per classroom with no winter activity. (PS - there is no phy ed anymore.) So what's the alternative? Cheerleading, being in skating, being in gymnastics, or maybe a dance team.

And when do cheerleaders, gymnasts, or dance teams get to perform? At basketball games. Ya, maybe, they aren't who "you came to watch." And if you aren't interested, fine. Walk out, get your hot dog, bs with your cronies in the hallways, or whatever. But don't sit there and put down a halftime show. It's being done to provide motivation, promote activity, and encourage group involvement and friendship for a bunch of kids, who otherwise would be home, sitting on the couch eating chips.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby HONKER » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:40 am

old#63 wrote:OK, boys, you hit my hot button with this one. I'll start with this. What's the big talk in the country right now? All the kids are sitting around playing video games, eating chips, and getting fat on the couch. Well, guess what? All the little Johnnys and Susies out there can't play basketball.

Example: the school in my town has about 25 to 35 girls per grade, and if you estimate that there is room for roughly 5 girls per grade on the ball team that leaves 20 or 30 girls per classroom with no winter activity. (PS - there is no phy ed anymore.) So what's the alternative? Cheerleading, being in skating, being in gymnastics, or maybe a dance team.

And when do cheerleaders, gymnasts, or dance teams get to perform? At basketball games. Ya, maybe, they aren't who "you came to watch." And if you aren't interested, fine. Walk out, get your hot dog, bs with your cronies in the hallways, or whatever. But don't sit there and put down a halftime show. It's being done to provide motivation, promote activity, and encourage group involvement and friendship for a bunch of kids, who otherwise would be home, sitting on the couch eating chips.

Very well said.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovefootball88 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:08 am

Totally agree.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to watch the kids perform at half time... I get my hotdogs at the beginning of the third quarter when the lines have gone down....

I think its great for all kids to participate and perform at the games.... Its for the kids not for the adults, we just get the privilage to be a fan of it all...

my 2 cents
lovefootball88
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I agree that the dance and gym teams need some exposure time and they get it at halftime. As a matter of fact, I've been at some games where the gym empties out by at least half the people when halftime is over. In many cases, those teams ARE the ones that people come to see.

I also agree that some of the "entertainment" is just plain bad. Doesn't mean they should stop having it, just polish it up a little so it's not embarrassing to sit through.

I ALSO agree that the entertainment should not exceed their 7 minute time slot. The floor belongs to the basketball teams beginning at 3:00 to go of halftime.

One type of entertainment I actually enjoy is the drumlines. A good drumline can really rock the building if they know what they are doing.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:38 pm

do may pep bands still play at halftime? In my area, the schools that still do have pep bands never play at the half. When I was in school 15+ years ago every school had a pep band and played in between games and at the half. Even just a few years ago they usually had pep bands play at the state tournaments, which I haven't seen lately. I think that would help the entertainment value and add to the atmosphere.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

Watched some of the halftime entertainment during the Grant County - Central Cass game. All I can say is.....well....ah......um.....oh I just better leave it alone.
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby east sider » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:30 pm

In principle I find myself agreeing with old63, but after what I just witnessed it might be a good idea to leave the dance teams to halftime of JH/JV games. Lord have mercy
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Oh, shut up and eat your hot dogs, you two. :D
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:16 pm

who is forcing you to watch? especially when it is on TV. turn the channel.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Flip wrote:who is forcing you to watch? especially when it is on TV. turn the channel.

That's exactly what I did. I said I watched SOME of the halftime entertainment.

Do they screen these candidates for halftime? Like do any checking to see if they are good and deserving of TV time?
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 pm

that's what I don't get why do they have to show that on TV. There are halftime performances of every NBA game I assume, but that never makes TV.

I wish they would stop talking to fans right before the 2nd and 4th quarters too.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4thegame » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:07 am

the only way your going to improve the dance teams is if they become competitive and earn the right to be there just like the teams had to.
Now could we say the same for pepbands and drumlines? Make them earn their way?
4thegame
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:23 pm

how about these girls now in the purple/pink?

it is the state semifinals you should have to be darn good to perform on a stage like this
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:42 am

Now this is halftime entertainment....

http://link.brightcove.com/services/pla ... 3207933001
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys