Tournament in a Nut Shell,,how did you see it?

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Tournament in a Nut Shell,,how did you see it?

Postby winner-within » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 am

Just Put what you thought and dont get in to nit picking others posts

Had a coach know that physical play was going to be part of the game, they could have prepared differently I feel the main (not the only) reason for close games day one was reffing....
Region 7 wasn't as scary as some thought it would be this year...
Region 1 was the best region this year!....
Region 2 was down from past years, although like Trenton, had Cav won the first night they would have looked better in the eyes of the fans...Cavalier got the worst seating section.. :) .....
Games looked fine tuned at times, yet very sloppy at others........
Will anybody other than Shiloh ever represent that Region??
Some young Players really showed strength
Longie, Volk, Lambert, Bussman, were my top 4....with Volk looking like the only one who would play at a UND or NDSU type School...........
overall?? what an experience for these schools

Good Luck next year!!!.... :D
Last edited by winner-within on Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Re: Tournament in a Nut Shell,,how did you see it?

Postby classB4ever » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:08 pm

Have been going to the B for 20+ years. These are just some personal observations:
1. IMO, the reffing was consistent with past years. State B is more physical then your districts and regions. Good, bad or indifferent. Mentality is let the games be decided on the court. Generally this plays into the hands of deeper, older, more physical teams. Was a little disappointed with the 3-man crews not being in position on some pretty obvious calls (missed tips going out of bounds).
2. I think the yearly polls put a lot of pressure on teams. Teams that are "favored" are trying not to lose where other teams come in and are playing "loosey-goosey" with the "what do we have to lose" motto. Has been that way forever and what makes tourney time so fun.
3. Would have to throw in Olson (LLM) and Heidlbaugh (Rugby) as young players who made a splash.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ambition13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:22 pm

1. Enjoyed the Defense that was played by the teams at the tournament. Also the sportsmanship showed by all teams. Hodem from Lamoure being one of the players who stuck out to me.

2. Milnor winning the championship. Not ranked all year and still getting the job done. The 6man rotation they used worked well all tourney.

3. The games being so close. Even the last day had close games that made attending the tourney interesting. This had to be one of the overall closest tourney's in the past few years. Awesome State Tourney
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:21 pm

Very impressed by how well Trinity's rotations were coached in the half court defense.

The 5th place game was the best game of the tournament in my opinion. Talking purely the game, obviously the title was the most exciting because its the title.

Not a fan of how overly physical the reffing was.

What I've realized is a lot of times, coaches hurt themselves when they have a deep team. Just because you can go 9 deep, doesn't mean you always should. Play your stars as much as you can. It's certainly a luxury to have a deep bench, but sometimes coaches fall too in love with it. I thought Trinity subbed a crazy amount.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:29 am

Indy5 wrote:Very impressed by how well Trinity's rotations were coached in the half court defense.

The 5th place game was the best game of the tournament in my opinion. Talking purely the game, obviously the title was the most exciting because its the title.

Not a fan of how overly physical the reffing was.

What I've realized is a lot of times, coaches hurt themselves when they have a deep team. Just because you can go 9 deep, doesn't mean you always should. Play your stars as much as you can. It's certainly a luxury to have a deep bench, but sometimes coaches fall too in love with it. I thought Trinity subbed a crazy amount.

Great observation...I totally agree....Gene Manson once said... "you cant win State with 6 players".......truth is, you can....because Milnor did and Trenton got 3erd...both playing essentially 6 players........yes to much subbing
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bisonguy06 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't necessarily agree here.

Nearly all of the subbing that Trinity did in the first round of the tournament was related to foul trouble.

Friday and Saturday, you have Trinity playing for pride in the consolation bracket with eight of the nine players in the rotation being seniors. I can understand all of them getting some playing time, and I think you would've seen a tighter rotation if they had been in the winner's bracket.

Don't forget that the winners bracket is the TV bracket and there are built-in timeouts. If you can avoid foul trouble, you can pretty much play an iron five and still keep them fresh.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby Indy5 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:36 pm

Bisonguy06 wrote:I don't necessarily agree here.

Nearly all of the subbing that Trinity did in the first round of the tournament was related to foul trouble.

Friday and Saturday, you have Trinity playing for pride in the consolation bracket with eight of the nine players in the rotation being seniors. I can understand all of them getting some playing time, and I think you would've seen a tighter rotation if they had been in the winner's bracket.

Don't forget that the winners bracket is the TV bracket and there are built-in timeouts. If you can avoid foul trouble, you can pretty much play an iron five and still keep them fresh.

I understood the first day. They were going offense-defense with Kubic and Binstock because they both had 4 fouls. But the next day, the were doing the same thing, but swapping 4 at a time. Volk was the only one staying in. That is pretty ridiculous. I felt Kubic could've played more in their games too. Maybe they just kept him out when they wanted to play more up-tempo though.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys