Championship day update thread

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Championship day update thread

Postby old#63 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:51 am

BB11 wrote:Great Tournament Milnor - I must admit 2 weeks ago I would have picked probably 15 other teams ahead of them if I was guessing possible state champs. Heck of a job by the players and coaches this week.

Were they even ranked this year ever in any poll?
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:06 am

old#63 wrote:
BB11 wrote:Great Tournament Milnor - I must admit 2 weeks ago I would have picked probably 15 other teams ahead of them if I was guessing possible state champs. Heck of a job by the players and coaches this week.

No.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:12 am

old#63 wrote:

State championships are nice and everything, but next year I'm sure they'd rather be seen as one of ND's "top-tier" teams.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ambition13 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:16 am

Flip wrote:
old#63 wrote:

State championships are nice and everything, but next year I'm sure they'd rather be seen as one of ND's "top-tier" teams.

Didn't Milnor prove they are a top tier team tonight?
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:23 am

Milnor only had one senior on their roster...so they are the favorites to return. BUT Region 1 is not going to be a region that they'll just walk through...plenty of talent in that region.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:07 pm

Flip wrote:
old#63 wrote:

Maybe I am not taking this the right way. The way I read it, it is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen on here. I am sure they, or anyone would not give a darn if people think they are a "top-tier" team, compared to winning and proving you are the state champs. Flip please tell me that I am taking what you wrote wrong, and set me straight.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:55 pm

I think flip was being sarcastic related to another topic on here
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Cazzzmo » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 pm

first off, it's been awhile... where the heck has everybody gone? very little action on this site anymore or am i looking in the wrong topic??

anyway, I have to chime in here on something.... title game officiating.... now, understand, i'm the whitest guy you'll ever meet, but I gotta say that I thought FourWinds got the shaft by the refs for most of the night. In the end it was their own fault they didn't pull it out with the t/o's and missed buckets but, dang, those 3 refs were a real joke if you ask me. lane violation with 2 minutes left in the state title game? give me a break!! that's a ref wanting to leave his mark. the other two dudes are complete pretty-boy refs... also there to ''be the show''. They didn't blow a single whistle in the first three minutes of the game 'cause they were too worried about what their hair looked like on TV! complete freakin' joke! (and, yes, I know Perry O.... just about spit-out my popcorn when I saw he was doing the title game). The FourWinds kids got hacked all night long with very few whistles going their way and the big guy for Milnor was over the back all night and rarely (never?) got called for it. I saw the same thing in the semis in the sense that these refs weren't familiar with FWs style of play and were constantly late and out of position to make calls. to reiterate, they failed to blow the whistle on about the first six possessions of the game and then were terribly inconsistent after that. I'd say if you replayed that game 10 more times, FW wins nine of them... it just wasn't their night but the refs sure didn't make it any easier. (fyi, i've been attending state tourneys for over 30 years...)
Cazzzmo
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:32 pm

ambition13 wrote:Didn't Milnor prove they are a top tier team tonight?

d_fense wrote:Maybe I am not taking this the right way. The way I read it, it is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen on here. I am sure they, or anyone would not give a darn if people think they are a "top-tier" team, compared to winning and proving you are the state champs. Flip please tell me that I am taking what you wrote wrong, and set me straight.

You guys have to be kidding me. I just have to shake my head at your gullibility.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:34 pm

Cazzzmo, the lane violation was very obvious he was in the lane a good foot and half way too early. You have to make that call.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:39 pm

As far as officiating goes, I thought it was incredibly physical, but consistent. At least there was consistency, in my opinion. Four Winds probably got a worse shake because they attack the hoop more recklessly, where as, Milnor was very under control. Thus, Four Winds ad more contact at the rim. It wasn't that they were getting screwed, it was just the physical play being let go. I'm all for a little contact, but this game was way over the top.

As for the lane violation, I don't remember it. Are you sure it wasn't an illegal screen? I saw a lot of those called this weekend. I like that a lot because a lot of high school kids set illegal ones everytime.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:41 pm

it was a lane violation. I went back and watched it again and it was very obvious. The kid was in way to early.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:30 pm

Flip wrote:it was a lane violation. I went back and watched it again and it was very obvious. The kid was in way to early.

O i thought he meant 3 in the key, not on a free throw. I don't know how I don't remember this play.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:33 pm

Flip wrote:it was a lane violation. I went back and watched it again and it was very obvious. The kid was in way to early.

on a free throw.
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ambition13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:14 pm

If you watch the game over the FW kids jumped early on free throws. I talked to the Mund kid yesterday at the rally in Milnor. He said he talked to the ref about it and it was properly called.
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby Jack8 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:32 am

I noticed the big milnor kids goin over the back all nite too and no calls.
Anybody know the total fouls for each team by quarters?
Jack8
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndfbfan70 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:14 am

Jack8 wrote:I noticed the big milnor kids goin over the back all nite too and no calls.
Anybody know the total fouls for each team by quarters?

there is no such thing as over the back. an offensive foul is call when a defensive player displaces an offensive player from the position he currently occupies. most all fouls in bball are this way except a technical foul which is called for conduct.
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby nodaker » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:19 am

The TV commentators loved this term. They used it and "reaching-in" the whole tournament. No such foul unless there is contact. You can't penalize one kid for out-jumping the other
nodaker
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:31 am

ndfbfan70 wrote:there is no such thing as over the back

but when you say "over the back" everyone knows what you're talking about. It's a lot easier than saying a pushing foul on a rebound when the ball was in the air.

an offensive foul is call when a defensive player displaces an offensive player from the position he currently occupies.

you sure about that?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan70 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:50 pm

Flip wrote:
ndfbfan70 wrote:there is no such thing as over the back

but when you say "over the back" everyone knows what you're talking about. It's a lot easier than saying a pushing foul on a rebound when the ball was in the air.

an offensive foul is call when a defensive player displaces an offensive player from the position he currently occupies.

you sure about that?

ya i know i just dont like when people think that when both players jump straight up and the player behind gets the rebound the crowd yells for "over the back"

i think i said this right? from the rules clinics i have been to and also the coaches clinics i have been too i think i an saying this right? Am i saying it wrong?
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Ndfbfan70 you are correct. Another one that ticks me off is when they say a call is not a charge because a defender does not have his feet "set ". A defender does not need his feet set. They need to be in a good legal garding position, which you can be with your feet not planted on the ground.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Flip wrote:
old#63 wrote:

Re: New idea
by winner-within » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:56 pm

Well said!!.......and the term "top tier" is really dumb.............. 8)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:19 pm

ndfbfan70 wrote:an offensive foul is call when a defensive player displaces an offensive player from the position he currently occupies.

wouldn't an offensive foul be when an offensive player displaces a defensive player?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndfbfan70 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:31 pm

Flip wrote:
ndfbfan70 wrote:an offensive foul is call when a defensive player displaces an offensive player from the position he currently occupies.

wouldn't an offensive foul be when an offensive player displaces a defensive player?

ah crap you are correct sir i read through that rough 100x and did not see the error. getting old stinks....
ndfbfan70
NDPreps Starter

Previous

Return to Boys