Class history

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Class history

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:23 pm

In watching the 50 year state champion recognition I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me.

Why did class C quit after 1963?

How many districts and regions were in class b at that time? I know 2 advanced from regions to state.

About how many teams were in each class?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Re: Class history

Postby woodchuck10 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:04 am

I too would like to see that. You'd think the NDHSAA would have records from the past alignments
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Re: Class history

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:38 pm

NDHSAA HAS to have tons of information sitting in their offices. Someone needs to convince them how good it would be to have all that past data available on their website. Even past champions in each sport, results from state tournaments, etc are pretty much missing.

I can tell you that in 1964 there were 33 teams in Class A. I have a copy of a state tournament program from a few years ago that listed the history of what teams were in Class A from 1964-1980, which is when Class A had 4 regions. It was online at one time, not sure if I still have the original link or if it still works. It was interesting to see how class A went from a high of 37 teams in 1967-1968 down to 24 in 1980 when they reduced to three regions.

Here is the breakdown of Class A in those peak years of 37 teams:

Northwest (9 teams): Minot, Minot Ryan, Williston, Bottineau, Harvey, Rugby, Crosby, Stanley, Tioga

Southwest(11 teams): Bismarck, Bismarck St Mary's, Mandan, Dickinson, Dickinson Trinity, Bowman, Hettinger, Mott, Assumption Abbey (Richardton), Watford City, Ft Yates

Northeast(9 teams): Grand Forks Central, Grand Forks St James, Grand Forks Red River, Grafton, Langdon, Carrington, Cavalier, Park River, Larimore

Southeast(8 teams): Jamestown, Valley City, Wahpeton, West Fargo, Fargo Shanley, Fargo North, Fargo South, Lisbon

I don't know that the cutoff was for Class A, was it around the 325 limit like now or was it less?
This shows how the bigger smaller towns were not only bigger back then but had a lot of students.. I imagine a lot of bigger farm families contributed to this.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Return to Boys