3 class system - now is the time!

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

3 class system - now is the time!

Postby Bisonguy06 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:29 pm

We need 3 classes for North Dakota basketball, now!

Just kidding...

To recap:

In 2013, we will have a small class B school in the state championship game for the 7th year in a row.

In 2013, we will have two small to medium-sized schools playing in the state championship game.

In 2013, our semifinal round consists of LaMoure, Milnor, Trenton, and Four Winds.

This should put the topic of 3 classes in the state of North Dakota to rest for a really, really long time, right? I'm requesting a minimum of two years before this topic ever surfaces again, and I don't think I'm asking for too much.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Re: 3 class system - now is the time!

Postby ticket0115 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:36 pm

Agree..David vs Goliath type games have the best feel.(storyline)
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:56 pm

I also agree... In two other threads I'm advocating big change in a big way and doing so adamantly. I'm doing so because in those threads I personally see a lot of evidence supporting the need for change.

I see ZERO evidence to support a 3 class system
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby stir the pot » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:26 pm

The third class could be just for the teams that think they should be in the State Tournment.
But you have to make the choice before District tournaments start.
stir the pot
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:47 pm

We have Thompson, Napoleon, Benson County, Grant County and Beach at this year's girls state tournament. That's five small schools, and five different small schools than we saw at the boys B. Once again, busting the myth that the B consists of nothing but the same big schools over and over again.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby NoIinTeam » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:51 am

Too many small schools got in the state tourney. We need to look at the 3 class system so more big schools can get in.
I'm also JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:04 am

All my family and friends in South Dakota saythe three class system has destroyed the game there.
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:51 am

Someone over on the girls basketball thread posted the current high school enrollment of every school in the state.

If the list is accurate, North Dakota only has 12 schools with an enrollment between 200 and 650 students.
We only have 8 schools with an enrollment between 250 and 650 students.
We don't have nearly enough medium-sized schools to justify a third class.

'A' and 'B' fits the state of North Dakota
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby B-oldtimer » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:20 pm

Medium sized school for North Dakota would not be 250 to 650 range it would be 160 to 180 to 325 to 400 and all school under this would be like in class b range. The problem i see now is that numbers would be small for both classes and travel and scheduling would become a problem. If we had the numbers we had 10 years ago and schools we had then it would have been feasible. The problem we have is small schools have difficult time keeping quality program going and now kids don't play basketball like they did 25 years ago when small school of 40 to 80 almost all boys or girls participated in basketball from those schools and they played year around as activity. Today kids do so many more things or just don't participate at all in activities in the schools. The larger class a town with enrollments they could have almost league in town of basketball teams out the high schools. I have friend that says that alot of high school basketball is just going to die and were going to have bunch of traveling teams playing from these towns in the future. I keep telling he's wrong but then i look at how junior gold hockey has developed in the state and he may not be wrong. Maybe this divide of class b schools would work it does in football and nobody complains of the travel and scheduling there.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:43 pm

B-oldtimer wrote: Maybe this divide of class b schools would work it does in football and nobody complains of the travel and scheduling there.

I hate how everyone using football as an example for more classes. In football, you play once a week and always play on fridays, sometimes saturdays. Therefore smaller numbers are fine since you play 9 games instead of 19. And when you get back at 1 in the morning it's not a big deal because there isn't school the next day.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Return to Boys