All-State players

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-State players

Postby baloncesto » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:12 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Trevor Zacher - Beulah
Jacob Volk - Trinity
Stetson Carr - Hazen
T. Zentner - Mott-Regent
Bussman - Milnor
Haseleu - Maple Valley
Illies - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Lavachek - Glenburn
Hagler - North Star
Grande - North Star
Peltier - TL-M-M
Holte - DL-B

Just to name a few...I'm sure there are many more

:D
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:27 pm

baloncesto wrote:
Indy5 wrote:
ambition13 wrote: On Defense they both guarded the same player against Milnor, Ellery gave up 14 and Haselau held him to 4. Neither of them guarded Bussman.

So they're both perimeter players, and the other teams best player plays on the perimeter and they don't guard him? One, I lose respect for them as star players if they can't take on that challenge, and two, neither must be that good of an on ball defender then.

I think they did that as more of a reason to save them offensively a little bit. First of all, with milnor i dont think Ellery would match up with Bussman since he is pushing 6'3" or 6'4" but down the stretch of tough, close games towards the end they usually guarded the other teams best player.

I'll give you that matchup since he's far shorter. No excuse for Hassleu not to guard him though. If you are your team's leader you need to man up and take it upon yourself to matchup with the other teams star. Especially, since you guys are making them both sound like great defenders. If they're bad defenders, then this would obviously be foolish.

And I hate the logic of "saving yourself for offense." That's lazy. You should take it personally when you or your team gets scored on.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:33 pm

Indy5 wrote:I'll give you that matchup since he's far shorter. No excuse for Hassleu not to guard him though. If you are your team's leader you need to man up and take it upon yourself to matchup with the other teams star. Especially, since you guys are making them both sound like great defenders. If they're bad defenders, then this would obviously be foolish.

And I hate the logic of "saving yourself for offense." That's lazy. You should take it personally when you or your team gets scored on.

No doubt Hassleu is a nancy boy. He needs to "man up" and tell his coach to screw off.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby wolves65 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:57 pm

I can tell you for a fact that Ellery requests to guard the toughest kid on the floor every night and you would expect that from a good player but what coach wants to expose their best player every night. Correct me if I am wrong but on most nights that I every watched Maple Valley they played alot of zone and that made sense because they lack depth.
Maple Valley struggled more when Richman didn't score not Haselau. Central Cass went as far as Ellery could carry them. The main reason for that is Haselau spent most of his career making others better. You can't really compare the two guys head to head it is not fair to either one.
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Indy5 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote:I'll give you that matchup since he's far shorter. No excuse for Hassleu not to guard him though. If you are your team's leader you need to man up and take it upon yourself to matchup with the other teams star. Especially, since you guys are making them both sound like great defenders. If they're bad defenders, then this would obviously be foolish.

No doubt Hassleu is a nancy boy. He needs to "man up" and tell his coach to screw off.

If you're a star player you should want to try and lock down the other teams best player. Your coach will respect that. I don't think a coach would/has ever gotten mad about their star showing a desire for defense.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:12 pm

Indy5 wrote:If you're a star player you should want to try and lock down the other teams best player. Your coach will respect that. I don't think a coach would/has ever gotten mad about their star showing a desire for defense.

and your coach might tell you this is what is best for the team.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby ambition13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:30 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:Honestly, I would pick both for the All state team. Both have a lot to bring to the table. Quickness, heart, leadership are just a few things beyond individual stats.
I suppose we could discuss this forever and not come up with a legit reason to pick one over the other. The whole discussion I feel is exactly what this site is for.
There are probably stats from common opponents that would support either individual's case.
Speaking of stats, does anyone know the stats from both this season? Also, does anyone have the stats from the three head to head meetings this season? Not just scoring, but assists, rebounds, steals etc.
The only stat I know is CC won 2 and lost one to MV this season.
Down by one with six seconds to play I still pick Ellery to drive the court for the game winner.

Couldn't agree more! We'll just agree to disagree!
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby ambition13 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Flip wrote:

If you're a star player you should want to try and lock down the other teams best player. Your coach will respect that. I don't think a coach would/has ever gotten mad about their star showing a desire for defense.

I don't remember if either Haselau or Ellery were in foul trouble at all, that also could have been a factor. The kid who did take Bussman did an okay job.
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Flip wrote:No doubt Hassleu is a nancy boy. He needs to "man up" and tell his coach to screw off.

:?: Now this is a really intelligent statement. :?:

Way to rip a young man who was just named senior athlete and his coach.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:17 am

Flip was being sarcastic and mocking Indy5 for stating that Haselau needs to man up and tell his coach what to do. Was not ripping either the player, nor the coach.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby MNTwinsFan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:29 pm

balla45 wrote:Flip was being sarcastic and mocking Indy5 for stating that Haselau needs to man up and tell his coach what to do. Was not ripping either the player, nor the coach.

I didn't see that balla45. Thanks for bringin' that to my attention. Flip: my apologies!
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:30 pm

Flip wrote:
Indy5 wrote:If you're a star player you should want to try and lock down the other teams best player. Your coach will respect that. I don't think a coach would/has ever gotten mad about their star showing a desire for defense.

and your coach might tell you this is what is best for the team.

And maybe that happened. Maybe they have a lockdown defender, I don't know. What I'm saying is the way people were making these two sound like the best defenders ever, they should be checking the other teams best player. My main point is I see too many star players in high school not care about defense and it bothers me since they'd have the talent to really be lockdown defenders.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby NoIinTeam » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:56 pm

If Ellery B. was not in foul trouble, he had the talent to guard the best opposing player under 6'. I believe he was about 5' 9" himself. Depth was a concern at times and CC was not the same team if Ellery was not on the court. I suppose there could have been times when he needed a break defensively when he would guard a weaker player. CC could not afford to have him out of the game for long periods of time.
He was NOT the type of player to back down from a challenge defensively. I'm sure there were other hard working players but I've never seen a player out work Ellery on either end of the court.
There is not a more deserving player for post season awards than him.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:07 pm

Now that I think about it a bit more, it seems likely that the first teamers will all be seniors. I feel that Hagler, Volk, and Zacher are easy picks. Tough to only pick two out of three with Bresnahan, Haseleu, and Illies. I am a big Holte guy though.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bison.Fan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:53 pm

Holte doesn't play defense. Weston scored 40 on him.
Bison.Fan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Tough to judge a player based on the results of one game.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:56 pm

I'd also say that Weston is one of the best potentialed players in North Dakota in either class.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

Weston scored 0 points in the regional final vs FW
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby BB11 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:50 pm

balla45 wrote:Now that I think about it a bit more, it seems likely that the first teamers will all be seniors. I feel that Hagler, Volk, and Zacher are easy picks. Tough to only pick two out of three with Bresnahan, Haseleu, and Illies. I am a big Holte guy though.

Balla,
I would agree with you if Holte would use his ability to its fullest, but he doesn't. If he was inside outside with a 75% to 25% of the time ratio - I would agree with you without question, as I believe he is the best inside offensive player I have seen in many years. But he prefers to sit outside over inside with a ratio of 75% to 25% (I'm guessing here - I haven't actually done the stats; but it is a large percentage). He is a great shooter, but I believe he would benefit his team a lot more by staying inside and dominating the snot out of people down low, as he definitely could. He is probably the most talented player in Region 6, but this year anyway, he definitely wasn't the best player in Region 6 in my opinion - still top 3 or 4 though - in my opinion.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm

@NDLionsFan, point taken. Again, it is hard to judge a player based only on one game. Six five with range and a solid post game just makes me think the kid is a great prospect. Not a lot of players with that much size and perimeter game in North Dakota.

@BB11, I do feel that you have a valid point here, but is it possible that that is based on team strategy and not on individual choice? I personally have no idea. Just a thought.

Jordan Maurer

balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Tradish4life » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 pm

I THINK AUSTIN LONGIE AND COLLIN DELORME BOTH MAKE ALL STATE GOOD NUMBERS AND BOTH EXCEPTIONAL PLAYERS BOTH WILL BE PLAYING IN THE STATE TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR...WATCH THEM AND THAN YOU CAN DECIDE...JUST A THOUGHT...
Tradish4life
NDPreps Rookie

Postby d_fense » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:35 pm

Tradish4life wrote:I THINK AUSTIN LONGIE AND COLLIN DELORME BOTH MAKE ALL STATE GOOD NUMBERS AND BOTH EXCEPTIONAL PLAYERS BOTH WILL BE PLAYING IN THE STATE TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR...WATCH THEM AND THAN YOU CAN DECIDE...JUST A THOUGHT...

I am not saying they may not be second team, but I have never heard about them. Who do they play for? Do you have any stats?
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:44 pm

d_fense wrote:
Tradish4life wrote:I THINK AUSTIN LONGIE AND COLLIN DELORME BOTH MAKE ALL STATE GOOD NUMBERS AND BOTH EXCEPTIONAL PLAYERS BOTH WILL BE PLAYING IN THE STATE TOURNAMENT THIS YEAR...WATCH THEM AND THAN YOU CAN DECIDE...JUST A THOUGHT...

I am not saying they may not be second team, but I have never heard about them. Who do they play for? Do you have any stats?

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby The Schwab » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I would say if we were honestly picking the top 15 players in the state for the all state team, that 4 of them for sure would be from region 7 and maybe another one.

IMO: Zacher, Volk, Carr, Zentner and the fifth would maybe be Kristy, just my opinion.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Jenkman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I agree with Schwab. If Kristy's team won more games, their would be 5 players that are all-state from region 7.
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys