All-State players

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

All-State players

Postby footballislife15 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:24 pm

just wondering some all-state players.
Play to Win.
footballislife15
NDPreps Starter

Re: All-State players

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Trevor Zacher - Beulah
Jacob Volk - Trinity
Stetson Carr - Hazen
T. Zentner - Mott-Regent
Bussman - Milnor
Haseleu - Maple Valley
Illies - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Lavachek - Glenburn
Hagler - North Star
Grande - North Star
Peltier - TL-M-M
Holte - DL-B

Just to name a few...I'm sure there are many more
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NoIinTeam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:26 pm

Bresnahan CC
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby defense1st » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Honestly I think Grande will be lucky to get 2nd team this year. He hasn't had a great year scoring-wise. His defense has been better than solid so to get on he would need to get noticed for that, but that's not usually the case.
defense1st
NDPreps Starter

Postby westriver bison » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Hettich and Nelson are two of the best defensive players in the state and would be the go to player on offense on most teams other than Beulah, North Star, and Trinity, they deserve a look.
westriver bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby irisheel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:03 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:Bresnahan CC

I can't imagine that team without Ellery on it. In fact, I think he's a better overall player than Haselau. Would like to know how close the vote was for Region 1 Senior was.

Haselau was very deserving as well, however. Good Luck to him!
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NoIinTeam » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 pm

I agree irisheel. Haselau is a very good player, but Ellery brings a more dynamic game to the table. Slashing, fast breaks, defense, passing are all in favor of Ellery. Haselau maybe is better with his jump shot off the dribble. Haselau maybe had a better career for a longer period of time because he played at such a young age , but Ellery would be my senior "athlete" from Region 1.
Congrats to Haselau.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby irisheel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:27 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:I agree irisheel. Haselau is a very good player, but Ellery brings a more dynamic game to the table. Slashing, fast breaks, defense, passing are all in favor of Ellery. Haselau maybe is better with his jump shot off the dribble. Haselau maybe had a better career for a longer period of time because he played at such a young age , but Ellery would be my senior "athlete" from Region 1.
Congrats to Haselau.

Very well said NoIinTeam. Agreed on all points!
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ambition13 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:42 am

NoIinTeam wrote:I agree irisheel. Haselau is a very good player, but Ellery brings a more dynamic game to the table. Slashing, fast breaks, defense, passing are all in favor of Ellery. Haselau maybe is better with his jump shot off the dribble. Haselau maybe had a better career for a longer period of time because he played at such a young age , but Ellery would be my senior "athlete" from Region 1.
Congrats to Haselau.

I'll agree to disagree. What Haselau lacks in speed he makes up for his leadership on and off the court. They both are tremendous passers and rarely make the wrong pass. Both can get to the rim at will, both will make free throws when they count. Both make big shots and both play solid defense. The way Haselau led his team all year is what puts him above Ellery. Both are awesome ball players and have been a blast to watch over the years. With 10seconds down 1 I choose Jordan every time.
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:58 am

As far as leadership goes they are probably both great leaders. I think a good way to compare the two would be to put each one on the opposing team and see how that particular team would be. Maple Valley i feel would be stronger with Ellery as their leader than Haselau.
Not trying to pick apart Haselau but he is not the defensive player that Ellery is. Nor could he single handedly break a press like Ellery. Haselau could wow people with his outside shooting ability. Ellery would wow people on both ends of the court and everything in between.
I would love to have either on my team, but Ellery would easily be my first pick if I were to build a team.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby OKCfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:16 am

NoIinTeam wrote:As far as leadership goes they are probably both great leaders. I think a good way to compare the two would be to put each one on the opposing team and see how that particular team would be. Maple Valley i feel would be stronger with Ellery as their leader than Haselau.
Not trying to pick apart Haselau but he is not the defensive player that Ellery is. Nor could he single handedly break a press like Ellery. Haselau could wow people with his outside shooting ability. Ellery would wow people on both ends of the court and everything in between.
I would love to have either on my team, but Ellery would easily be my first pick if I were to build a team.

I will have to disagree with you NoIinTeam because in my opinion Haseleu is clearly the better defensive player. Just start by looking at how many points a game CC allowed compared to MV (CC gave up 63.4 ppg & MV gave up 53.9 ppg). I’m not entirely sure how you can say that Bresnahan is a better defender when his team gave up 102 points to Milnor and 98 to Oak Grove in the same season! I understand it’s partly the system and maybe the Squirrels don’t feel like they need to lock down on D every possession because of their ability to score the basketball, but I think in order to be a “leader”, you need to step up defensively as well. Year in and year out, Haseleu has been the leader of the Raiders great defense because of his quickness to beat the opponent to the spot he wants to get to, quick hands, and overall knack for making plays on the defensive side of the ball.
And not to take anything away from Bresnahan, but how many teams do you see press the Raiders? None because they know it’s pointless because of Haseleu’s ball handling ability. In the Region Semis, the grovers threw 2 or 3 guys at him every possesion just after he passed half court and maybe forced 3 Turnovers the entire game. He’s about as calm, cool, and collected as they come when it comes to handling ball pressure.
Now in my opinion its a real close race, but to say that Ellory would "easily be your first pick if you were to start a team" is think is a little much. I'll give Haseleu the slight edge.
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Thanks for your input but I will still stand by "Ellery would be my first pick if I were to start a team". Your comment about Haselau's defense compared to Ellery's because of team points scored against does not float with me. I don't think CC had a 6'7" kid in the middle to swat balls away. Points allowed had nothng to do with Ellory's defense. Ellery won the games that counted against MV. Last year Regional semis. This years season and district games. Head to head I would think Ellery has the edge. A leader wins the big games and the ones that count.
Defensively I think Ellery's defense would create more problems for Haselau than Haselau's defense would on Ellory.
They are both very quick and skilled. Ellery just added that extra edge in all facets of the game.
Haselau had a good career. Ellery had a GREAT last couple seasons.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby irisheel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:45 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:Thanks for your input but I will still stand by "Ellery would be my first pick if I were to start a team". Your comment about Haselau's defense compared to Ellery's because of team points scored against does not float with me. I don't think CC had a 6'7" kid in the middle to swat balls away. Points allowed had nothng to do with Ellory's defense. Ellery won the games that counted against MV. Last year Regional semis. This years season and district games. Head to head I would think Ellery has the edge. A leader wins the big games and the ones that count.
Defensively I think Ellery's defense would create more problems for Haselau than Haselau's defense would on Ellory.
They are both very quick and skilled. Ellery just added that extra edge in all facets of the game.

I'm with NoIinTeam here. It's tough to compare these stats on HS teams. CC was a very small team this year, making them vulnerable inside. I will assure you Ellery is a ballhawk on defense.
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby OKCfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:03 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:Thanks for your input but I will still stand by "Ellery would be my first pick if I were to start a team". Your comment about Haselau's defense compared to Ellery's because of team points scored against does not float with me. I don't think CC had a 6'7" kid in the middle to swat balls away. Points allowed had nothng to do with Ellory's defense. Ellery won the games that counted against MV. Last year Regional semis. This years season and district games. Head to head I would think Ellery has the edge. A leader wins the big games and the ones that count.

I’m not entirely sure that Ellery alone won the games that counted against MV. Sure he hit the big shot to win it, but CC’s 2-3-4-5 players were much better and more talented than MV’s 2-3-4-5. Plus, they had a much deeper bench both of the last 2 years. I have a feeling that had just as much if not more to do with it than Ellery beating Jordan for 32 minutes.
Obviously since we are having this conversation, they are both great players and bring a ton to the table, but I’ll take Haseleu and his 1500+ career points. PLUS, if I remember right, I think the Region 1 coaches (who know more than all of us on this site) voted for Haseleu as the Sr. Athlete of the year.
OKCfan
NDPreps Starter

Postby irisheel » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:11 pm

OKCfan wrote:

I’m not entirely sure that Ellery alone won the games that counted against MV. Sure he hit the big shot to win it, but CC’s 2-3-4-5 players were much better and more talented than MV’s 2-3-4-5. Plus, they had a much deeper bench both of the last 2 years. I have a feeling that had just as much if not more to do with it than Ellery beating Jordan for 32 minutes.
Obviously since we are having this conversation, they are both great players and bring a ton to the table, but I’ll take Haseleu and his 1500+ career points. PLUS, if I remember right, I think the Region 1 coaches (who know more than all of us on this site) voted for Haseleu as the Sr. Athlete of the year.

Honestly, we're debating a moot point. Both are great players, like you said. I believe they play different styles of ball.
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NoIinTeam » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:31 pm

OKCfan,
On an earleir post you stated Haselau's defense is better because MV allowed 53.9 pts compared to CC 63.4 pts. thus Haselau is somehow a better leader defensively. If you watched CC at all you would not be making a comment about Ellery's leadership on defense or any part of his game. Remember MV had a 6'7" post to swat balls away.
I pointed out that big players or leaders win the big games. Which Ellery was a big part of.
As far as CC''s 2-3-4-5 compared to MV 2-3-4-5. Maybe last year CC had a bit more balance in the 2-3-4-5, but not a whole lot better than what MV had. This year i would call it a wash as far as players surrounding Ellery and Jordan.
Haselau was a good choice for Senior "athlete" just not the best in my opinion. 1,500 career pts does not make him a better SENIOR athlete. I think Haselau had a couple extra seasons to toss in 1,500 pts. He would have been my second choice behind Ellery.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby ambition13 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:OKCfan,
On an earleir post you stated Haselau's defense is better because MV allowed 53.9 pts compared to CC 63.4 pts. thus Haselau is somehow a better leader defensively. If you watched CC at all you would not be making a comment about Ellery's leadership on defense or any part of his game. Remember MV had a 6'7" post to swat balls away.
I pointed out that big players or leaders win the big games. Which Ellery was a big part of.
As far as CC''s 2-3-4-5 compared to MV 2-3-4-5. Maybe last year CC had a bit more balance in the 2-3-4-5, but not a whole lot better than what MV had. This year i would call it a wash as far as players surrounding Ellery and Jordan.
Haselau was a good choice for Senior "athlete" just not the best in my opinion. 1,500 career pts does not make him a better SENIOR athlete. I think Haselau had a couple extra seasons to toss in 1,500 pts. He would have been my second choice behind Ellery.

I think Ellery has had more talent around him throughout his high school career. I've seen Haselau hit big shots in both wins over Milnor this year, I also saw him hit the game winner at the BCT. On Defense they both guarded the same player against Milnor, Ellery gave up 14 and Haselau held him to 4. Neither of them guarded Bussman or either Mund. Haselau did however at the end of both games they played. We're beating a dead horse however with this topic. All three candidates for Senior athlete were well deserving.
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:27 pm

ambition13 wrote: On Defense they both guarded the same player against Milnor, Ellery gave up 14 and Haselau held him to 4. Neither of them guarded Bussman.

So they're both perimeter players, and the other teams best player plays on the perimeter and they don't guard him? One, I lose respect for them as star players if they can't take on that challenge, and two, neither must be that good of an on ball defender then.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:31 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Trevor Zacher - Beulah
Jacob Volk - Trinity
Stetson Carr - Hazen
T. Zentner - Mott-Regent
Bussman - Milnor
Haseleu - Maple Valley
Illies - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Lavachek - Glenburn
Hagler - North Star
Grande - North Star
Peltier - TL-M-M
Holte - DL-B

Just to name a few...I'm sure there are many more

Longie - Four Winds/Minnewaukan
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby baloncesto » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Indy5 wrote:
ambition13 wrote: On Defense they both guarded the same player against Milnor, Ellery gave up 14 and Haselau held him to 4. Neither of them guarded Bussman.

So they're both perimeter players, and the other teams best player plays on the perimeter and they don't guard him? One, I lose respect for them as star players if they can't take on that challenge, and two, neither must be that good of an on ball defender then.

I think they did that as more of a reason to save them offensively a little bit. First of all, with milnor i dont think Ellery would match up with Bussman since he is pushing 6'3" or 6'4" but down the stretch of tough, close games towards the end they usually guarded the other teams best player.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:38 am

When are these teams announced
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 am

Honestly, I would pick both for the All state team. Both have a lot to bring to the table. Quickness, heart, leadership are just a few things beyond individual stats.
I suppose we could discuss this forever and not come up with a legit reason to pick one over the other. The whole discussion I feel is exactly what this site is for.
There are probably stats from common opponents that would support either individual's case.
Speaking of stats, does anyone know the stats from both this season? Also, does anyone have the stats from the three head to head meetings this season? Not just scoring, but assists, rebounds, steals etc.
The only stat I know is CC won 2 and lost one to MV this season.
Down by one with six seconds to play I still pick Ellery to drive the court for the game winner.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby balla45 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 am

Just my thoughts. Feel free to debate. This is simply based on what I have seen/heard up to this point in the season. The state tournament may alter my thoughts a bit.

1st Team All State (Alphabetical Order)

Hagler, Jacob
Haselau, Jordan
Holte, Tanner
Volk, Jacob
Zacher, Trevor

2nd Team All State (Alphabetical Order)

Bussman, Britton
Carr, Stetson
Ellery, Bresnahan
Grande, Daniel
Heidlebaugh, Brad
Illies, Jeff
Jacobson, Michael*
Lambert, Donovan
Lavachek, Houston
Peltier, Adam

*Could see Jacobson left off due to missing part of the season.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby senditin » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:33 am

balla45 wrote:Just my thoughts. Feel free to debate. This is simply based on what I have seen/heard up to this point in the season. The state tournament may alter my thoughts a bit.

1st Team All State (Alphabetical Order)

Hagler, Jacob
Haselau, Jordan
Holte, Tanner
Volk, Jacob
Zacher, Trevor

2nd Team All State (Alphabetical Order)

Bussman, Britton
Carr, Stetson
Ellery, Bresnahan
Grande, Daniel
Heidlebaugh, Brad
Illies, Jeff
Jacobson, Michael*
Lambert, Donovan
Lavachek, Houston
Peltier, Adam

*Could see Jacobson left off due to missing part of the season.

Their has to be a spot for Colin Delorme or Austin Longie. FW-M has had to good of a year to not get a player on the team. I've watched a ton of Class B ball this year and those 2 are as good as any player I've seen.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:40 am

I think Longie makes it and Lovcik instead of Heidlebaugh.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys