All-State players

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: All-State players

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:17 pm

east sider wrote:
Xfactor wrote:
east sider wrote:My observations from the first 2 games...
Volk and Bussman are a couple of really nice players that I think have good potential at the next level. Bussman should be an early favorite for Mr. BB from Class B. Wyatt Mund, not sure if he plays football but he should he's got the height, build, and speed to play at the next level. Olson is crazy athletic for a sophomore, if his skill catches up with his athleticism scary to think how dominant he might be in the next 2 years

Both games were fun to watch, but its time for an upgrade KVLY (480p, we meet again)

All the teams have played well thus far, hats off to all the kids and coaches

Are you serious? Bussman probably isn't even a first team all-stater. Mr. Basketball is obviously between Hagler and Jacobson.

I think with Bussman's stats and bringing his team to state he has a legit argument for 1st team. I don't see why you wouldn't think he is an early favorite Class B Mr. BB candidate, how many other Jr.'s will be All-State?

And not bashing Hagler in any way (one of the best careers ever), but Jacobson should easily win Mr. BB this year.

If Bussman makes All-State...it will be as a part of the 2nd team.

First Team will consist of:
Jacob Hagler
Jacob Volk
Trevor Zacher
Houston Lavachek
Jordan Haseleu

IMO
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby east sider » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Probably.....but I'm just saying he has an argument. I think a senior should get it over a junior when both are deserving, so I hope you're right
east sider
NDPreps Starter

Postby DBA » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Indy5 wrote:
bison football73 wrote:Hettich has 1000 points and in my opinion is very close to being better than Zacher. Hettich is better defensively and I think can get to the rim a lot better than Zacher. The only place Zacher is better is jump shooting and three pointers. He should be on second team in my opinion.

He goes to the hoop more recklessly than Zacher, wouldn't say he goes to the hoop better though. I think Zacher helps the team run more, and Hettich doesn't do much to setup the whole offense.

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Hettich though, cause I'm not. He's an incredibly solid player in his role, Zacher is just a more well rounded star.

I agree that Hettich deserves serious All-State consideration but its tough to put him above Zacher, they made a great pair though. I'm guessing Hettich's stats are pretty ridiculous. Wouldn't be surprised if he led the state in steals and was top 10 in blocks. I'm guessing he has more steals, blocks, and rebounds on the year than Zacher. But did you notice it was Zacher that always manned up against Volk? I believe Cody Nelson guarded Hagler. Hettich didn't usually match up against the other team's best player. Offensively the only thing I'd say Hettich did better than Zacher was move w/out the ball.

Both are good players on both ends of the floor and had exceptional high school bball careers.
DBA
NDPreps Reserve

Postby unc44 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:16 am

Ramsfan8 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Weston scored 0 points in the regional final vs FW

Weston is clearly the best up and coming kid. Look for him to tear it up next year.

Weston will be good but FW-M's Jonny Yankton shut him down during the reg. 4 championship and will probably be doing that until they both graduate since they are both sophs. Add FW-M's other soph. Trayvon McKay and they will be unstoppable. (Note: Yankton did not play with FW-M the first time when they lost by 1)
Its too bad Yankton is out due to injury, i bet FW-M could really use him during the state tournament.
unc44
NDPreps Rookie

Postby justplayalready » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:40 am

unc44 wrote:
Ramsfan8 wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Weston scored 0 points in the regional final vs FW

Weston is clearly the best up and coming kid. Look for him to tear it up next year.

Weston will be good but FW-M's Jonny Yankton shut him down during the reg. 4 championship and will probably be doing that until they both graduate since they are both sophs. Add FW-M's other soph. Trayvon McKay and they will be unstoppable. (Note: Yankton did not play with FW-M the first time when they lost by 1)
Its too bad Yankton is out due to injury, i bet FW-M could really use him during the state tournament.

Weston is a long way off physically from the Sophs that have been looking good at the B...Heidlebaugh, Robbins, McKay and Olson would tear him up physically...even more so when you get the physical play that is allowed tourney time...I'd take the Kvilvang kid instead
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby johnson » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:20 am

I think Mike Jacobson from South Border is a good candidate for All - State. Came back from a complete tear of his meniscus, started playing before he got permission from his doctor. Did not play a full 2 quarters the first ten games after he came back and still has goods stats. But most of all is what he did for his team. He is a team player. I think 20 games played for the year should be enough for consideration. Plus I have not seen any other 6'5" player in the state handle the ball like he does. He has been one of best ball handlers in his region since he was in 9th grade. I think his 2nd game back he scored his 1000th point. His varsity coach, when he was in 9th grade, did not believe in playing 9th graders unless he had to. He would probably be looking at his 2000th point not 1300th or 1400th. I do not think anybody that has seen him play would disagree with my analysis of his abilities.
johnson
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:17 pm

I'm saying Brad Heidlbaugh should be all state. He is a true dominant big man. You don't see high school kids as well-rounded as him, nonetheless, a sophomore. I don't see any holes in his game. He will be a complete monster in the next couple years.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:26 am

I was very impressed with briton bussman tonight.. Whenever Milnor needed a big shot he took it and made it. I think he should be second team all state at least.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:31 am

Indy5 wrote:I'm saying Brad Heidlbaugh should be all state. He is a true dominant big man. You don't see high school kids as well-rounded as him, nonetheless, a sophomore. I don't see any holes in his game. He will be a complete monster in the next couple years.

I agree completely. Brad is going to be a stud!
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby ninja_joe » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:03 pm

Jacob Hagler, North Star (Mr. Basketball Finalist)
Jordan Haseleu, Maple Valley
Jacob Volk, Dickinson Trinity (Mr. Basketball Finalist)
Trevor Zacher, Beulah (Mr. Basketball Finalist)
Stetson Carr, Hazen
Ellery Bresnahan, Central Cass
Houston Lavachek, Glenburn
Briton Bussman, Milnor (State Tourney MVP)
Daniel Grande, North Star
Jeff Illies, Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Donovan Lambert, Shiloh Christian (All State Tourney Team - Shiloh 7th)
Jade Bentz, Trenton (All State Tourney Team - Trenton 3rd place)
Taylor Zentner, Mott-Regent
Ryan Chrest, Cavalier (All State Tourney Team - Cavalier 8th)
Austin Longie, Four Winds-Minnewaukan (All State Tourney Team - Four Winds 2nd)
Kyle Lovcik, Rugby (All State Tourney Team - Rugby 6th)

All of these guys belong on the Class B All State team. They all have the actual statistical numbers to back it up too. Who knows what the sportswriters/sportscasters will do though. There are always deserving players who get toasted in the end.
ninja_joe
NDPreps Starter

Postby Indy5 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:49 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:First Team will consist of:
Jacob Hagler
Jacob Volk
Trevor Zacher
Houston Lavachek
Jordan Haseleu

IMO

No way Lavachek should be first team. I understand the team around him was bad, but he didn't do anything to help make them better. Didn't play defense or even really rebound, which is laughable since he's 6'6. Offensively, he just stood on the wing and watched the guards turn it over.

Now I feel bad for him, because put him on a somewhat decent team and they'd be real tough, but I don't think he at all deserves to be first team all state. He should probably be 2nd team just because of his talent.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby Xfactor » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:51 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
east sider wrote:
Xfactor wrote:
Volk and Bussman are a couple of really nice players that I think have good potential at the next level. Bussman should be an early favorite for Mr. BB from Class B. Wyatt Mund, not sure if he plays football but he should he's got the height, build, and speed to play at the next level. Olson is crazy athletic for a sophomore, if his skill catches up with his athleticism scary to think how dominant he might be in the next 2 years

Both games were fun to watch, but its time for an upgrade KVLY (480p, we meet again)

Are you serious? Bussman probably isn't even a first team all-stater. Mr. Basketball is obviously between Hagler and Jacobson.

I think with Bussman's stats and bringing his team to state he has a legit argument for 1st team. I don't see why you wouldn't think he is an early favorite Class B Mr. BB candidate, how many other Jr.'s will be All-State?

And not bashing Hagler in any way (one of the best careers ever), but Jacobson should easily win Mr. BB this year.

Jacob Hagler
Jacob Volk
Trevor Zacher
Houston Lavachek
Jordan Haseleu

IMO

That's about the way I see it turning out. I'm not sure who will compete with Bussman next year, maybe Lavachek or someone else I can't think of but it will be a class A guy anyways. Unfortunately you were right about Jacobson winning Mr. Basketball because I truly believe Hagler was a much better player, but that's the way it works when you play class A and are from Fargo.
Xfactor
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:46 am

Xfactor wrote:Unfortunately you were right about Jacobson winning Mr. Basketball because I truly believe Hagler was a much better player, but that's the way it works when you play class A and are from Fargo.

With all due respect to Jacob Hagler, who had an amazing career and is probably a top 5 to 10 Class B all time player, but he isn't close to the player Jacobson is.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:16 am

Xfactor wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
east sider wrote:
Xfactor wrote:

Jacob Hagler
Jacob Volk
Trevor Zacher
Houston Lavachek
Jordan Haseleu

IMO

That's about the way I see it turning out. I'm not sure who will compete with Bussman next year, maybe Lavachek or someone else I can't think of but it will be a class A guy anyways. Unfortunately you were right about Jacobson winning Mr. Basketball because I truly believe Hagler was a much better player, but that's the way it works when you play class A and are from Fargo.

People competing with Bussman next year. Tanner Kretchman, Andrew Kozlowski, Patrick Strom, Ben Weisbeck, and Tanner Holte. Just to name 5 players who have all passed the 1000 point mark going in to their senior season. I think it will be between Kretchman and Weisbeck.

Hagler is not on the same level as Jacobson, and Hagler is very talented.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:42 pm

balla45 wrote:
Hagler is not on the same level as Jacobson, and Hagler is very talented.

First of all, congratulations to all of the Mr. Basketball finalists. Have watched all of these young men for many years and all are very deserving of being mentioned. Congratulations to AJ, great player and was very deserving. Wish him the best at NDSU. As for the above statement balla45, AJ is 6'-6" and Hagler is not. That is the only "level" that separates them. AJ's physical stature allows players of this caliber to do more things. When it comes to all other facets of the game including: on the court talent, heart, basketball IQ, team leadership and being role models, they are both equally great young men and both have had great careers. Congratulations to all named, it is quite an honor and you should be proud.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby balla45 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:26 am

Again, I was not intending to insult Hagler or any of the other candidates. Being six feet six inches tall is an asset in basketball that you can't work on and just happens. It happened to AJ. Not his fault or Jake's fault, it just happened to AJ.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby Bsportsfan1 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 pm

Hunter Braaten of Westhope-Newburg hit his 1000 point as a Junior as well. I believe he ended his Junior year with over 1200 points.
Bsportsfan1
NDPreps Rookie

Postby CameronCrazies » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:45 pm

Indy5 wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:First Team will consist of:
Jacob Hagler
Jacob Volk
Trevor Zacher
Houston Lavachek
Jordan Haseleu

IMO

No way Lavachek should be first team. I understand the team around him was bad, but he didn't do anything to help make them better. Didn't play defense or even really rebound, which is laughable since he's 6'6. Offensively, he just stood on the wing and watched the guards turn it over.

Now I feel bad for him, because put him on a somewhat decent team and they'd be real tough, but I don't think he at all deserves to be first team all state. He should probably be 2nd team just because of his talent.

I have to reply a little on behalf of Lavachek. On the rebounding issue, over half of the games he played were double doubles and averaged almost 10 per game at the end of the year so not sure where you are coming from on the rebounding issue. Most of the time there were two other big buys in the lane so kind of hard to get in there and do much more. I agree on the defense, that was not always up to par, but I don't believe the discipline was taught there. He ended up having to bring the ball up the floor the majority of the time....when he "stood out at the wing" was when he had a box in one on him and was basically told to do that. From what I saw in the past 4 years, whatever improvement's each of the Glenburn players made individually were done by themselves, not by the ones that should have been coaching and disciplining them. I cannot think of a ballplayer off the top of my head that went 23 games in a row being double teamed for 32 full minutes of a game . At the end of the year he had to have been exhausted physically and mentally. It is unfortunate and but I believe he is a first team candidate.
CameronCrazies
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Indy5 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:39 pm

CameronCrazies wrote:I have to reply a little on behalf of Lavachek. On the rebounding issue, over half of the games he played were double doubles and averaged almost 10 per game at the end of the year so not sure where you are coming from on the rebounding issue. Most of the time there were two other big buys in the lane so kind of hard to get in there and do much more. I agree on the defense, that was not always up to par, but I don't believe the discipline was taught there. He ended up having to bring the ball up the floor the majority of the time....when he "stood out at the wing" was when he had a box in one on him and was basically told to do that. From what I saw in the past 4 years, whatever improvement's each of the Glenburn players made individually were done by themselves, not by the ones that should have been coaching and disciplining them. I cannot think of a ballplayer off the top of my head that went 23 games in a row being double teamed for 32 full minutes of a game . At the end of the year he had to have been exhausted physically and mentally. It is unfortunate and but I believe he is a first team candidate.

First off, as I said, I sympathize with him for having to carry the team so much. I watched them 4 times this year. The only game I saw real desire to win was the last game at districts. I saw many times when they were in their zone he let a 6 foot kid run in a grab a rebound cause he was being lazy. I guess his rebounding numbers were pretty good, but from my veiw he seemed very lazy, especially on the defensive glass. I also didn't see him handle the ball all too much. You've probably seen them more this year than I have. From what I saw, I just didn't feel like he was really engaged enough in trying to make his team more successful to warrant him being 1st team. This is just my opinion, and I feel like he probably will still end up on the 1st team anyways.

I know I'm being critical, I just feel with all his talent, he could have done more.

I also was happy to see Lovcik win region Sr. of the year. I felt he impacted the game in a lot more ways than Lavachek and deserved it.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby baloncesto » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 pm

When are these teams announced?
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby panther4life » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:40 am

Dear, CameronCrazies
WHO ARE YOU?
1. You are responding on behalf of Houston Lavachek?

This leads everyone to believe that you actually know Houston and are now speaking for him. Strong statement! Seems like maybe you should actually tell everyone who you are, I mean if you responding on behalf of someone you must have some really inside info. Highly doubtful you know Houston. I know Houston. And I will say this about Houston Lavachek. Houston and the rest of the kids in our program are great kids and I can guarantee you that he would never make up lies like you have.

2. “He ended up having to bring the ball up the floor the majority of the time.”----CameronCrazies

This is completely false! Did Houston have to bring the ball up from time to time? Yes. Majority would mean 51%. No way, he brought the ball up 51% of the time. I’m not sure he even had to bring the ball up 15% of the time. Maybe you live in bizarre-o world. Not sure.

3. “I agree on the defense, that was not always up to par, but I don't believe the discipline was taught there.”---CameronCrazies

Haha, this one made me laugh. Now you are taking aim at his entire basketball career in my eyes. Do you really want to call out the people who have coached Houston from the grades up? If you know anything about teaching basketball you know teaching defense doesn’t just start when you hit high school. I’m offended for Glenburn and all their coaches present and past. Defensive movement and defensive discipline was covered plenty.

4. “when he "stood out at the wing" was when he had a box in one on him and was basically told to do that.”----CameronCrazies

Pretty sure this was the comment that spurred me to get my own username so I could gain access to the site to comment on you wild accusations. Who told you this? Never ever has a kid on our team been told to go out to the wing and just stand there and not move. Are you a comedian? Cause I would love to come see your next show. Oh wait, wait. You did say basically. So i guess basically you have no idea?

5. “From what I saw in the past 4 years, whatever improvements each of the Glenburn players made individually were done by themselves, not by the ones that should have been coaching and disciplining them.”----CameronCrazies

Ok, now after this comment i had to hire a tow truck to pull my panties out because they were seriously all up in a bunch if you know what i mean? You mean to tell me you have been following us the last four years? Did you speak to all our players on a personal basis and come to this assumption? I’m not going to spend too much time on this one. If and I use the word IF strongly. If a player or their families believe that the only improvements that were made by that certain individual were made despite their coaching. Well all I can say to that is the player didn’t want to learn anything from the coach or was being told not to listen to the coach. With that said. I know our parents, and I know our kids. I doubt they feel that way. Pretty sure no one in our program would make such idiotic comments.

6. “I cannot think of a ballplayer off the top of my head that went 23 games in a row being double teamed for 32 full minutes of a game.”-----CameronCrazies

You want to know why you can’t think of anyone off the top of your head? Cause this didn’t even happen to Houston this season. This statement actually made me feel better. Why? I realized there is no way you were at all our games. Because if you would have been at all our games you would have known that this statement is completely and totally false. Much like the bringing the ball up comment mentioned previously. Was he doubled? Yes. Heck he was even triple teamed on occasions. I would imagine most great players have experienced this. Was he doubled in all 23 games for 32 minutes each game? Ah, No. I should add we did play a couple of overtime games. Not sure if you included those minutes.

Almost done, with all this said I need to add a couple things. Houston Lavachek deserves to be awarded All-State. Even though our season ended before all of us would have hoped. The Town, School, and Panther program are all proud of this young man and the young men that played with him throughout his career as a Panther. Houston has always been a team player. Even though by “replying on lavacheks behalf”—CameronCrazies. You have made your best effort to vilify the coaching staff and lay blame at others feet. Like I said before I know Houston Lavachek. I know the type of kid and the type of person he is. He would never..........never throw his coaches or teammates under the bus. So shame on you CameronCrazies, shame on you for trying to start something out of nothing. Congrats to Houston on a successful high school career and I know every Panther Fan is cheering for him to make the All-State team! Go Houston! and Go PANTHERS!

Responding on behalf of the Glenburn Basketball Program,

Clarke Stevens
Glenburn High School Boys Basketball Assistant Coach
panther4life
NDPreps Rookie

Postby TarHeelNation » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am

Coach Stevens,

Thank you for the time and effort that you and all coaches at all the schools out there put in. It is often, as is obvious, a thankless job, for little or next to nothing in return. It is quite easy to sit back and critic others, be it the players, or the coaches; it is another to put the work in. All too often people point out the negatives, but the players you and other coaches out there have understand the work they put in, and the help you give them.
TarHeelNation
NDPreps Rookie

Postby ND-is-#1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 pm

First Team
Jordan Haseleu - Maple Valley
Tanner Holte - Des Lacs-Burlington
Jocob Volk - Dickinson Trinity
Trevor Zacher - Beulah
Jacob Hagler - North Star

Second Team
Jaden Bentz - Trenton
Ellery Bresnahan - Cental Cass
Britton Bussman - Milnor
Daniel Grande - North Star
Jeff Illies - Wyndmere-Lidgerwood
Donovan Lambert - Shiloh Christian
Houston Lavachek - Glenburn
Austin Longie - FWM
Kris Wathne - Griggs County Central
Taylor Zentner - Mott-Regent
ND-is-#1
NDPreps Starter

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:17 am

Coach Stevens, I toast you!

Thank you for your time and effort you have put into all the young men life you have touched.
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys