2013 State Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 2013 State Tourney

Postby lovwatchingsports » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:STATE TOURNEY
@ Minot State University Dome
March 7th, 8th & 9th

Thursday, March 7th
G1: R3: LaMoure-LM (21-2) vs. R7: Dickinson Trinity (22-2)
G2: R1: Milnor (19-6) vs. R5: Shiloh Christian (17-7)
G3: R2: Cavalier (19-5) vs. R8: Trenton (22-2)
G4: R4: Four Winds-Minnewaukan (22-2) vs. R6: Rugby (24-1)who ever wins this one is in the finals

Friday, March 8th
G5: Consolation - LLM G1 vs. Milnor G2
G6: Consolation -Trenton G3 vs. FWM G4
G7: Semifinals - D Trinity G1 vs. Shiloh G2
G8: Semifinals - Cavalier G3 vs. Rugby G4

Saturday, March 9th
7th Place: Milnor G5 vs. Trenton G6
5th Place: LLM G5 vs. FWM G6
3rd Place: Shiloh G7 vs. Cavalier G8
Championship: Trinty G7 vs. Rugby G8
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby ticket0115 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:35 pm

1.Rugby
2.Lamoure
3.Trenton
4.Milner
5.Trinity
6.Four winds
7.Cavalier
8.Shiloh
Flip rugby to 6th and 4winds to the ship!
Last edited by ticket0115 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ticket0115
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 pm

I got LLM by 5, FW by 15, Trinity by 10, Rugby by 12.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby cntrfthrs » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:32 am

Geez us.....were you guys ever wrong.....although I will admit I thought trinity would come in and blow llm out...anyway...it seems to me that the only game that went as thought was milnor beating shiloh although Shiloh blew the lead they had....they could've won that game....
cntrfthrs
NDPreps Starter

Postby lovwatchingsports » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:18 am

Yes 0-4 for the first day, but what close games. Shows it does not matter where you are ranked if you come to play.
lovwatchingsports
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am

Four great games Thursday. This is the tournament that should wrap up the basketball season for the state. Instead we kick off the tournament season with the "Crown Jewel"..Will anyone even care about the other two state tournaments????
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:13 pm

scruffy wrote:Four great games Thursday. This is the tournament that should wrap up the basketball season for the state. Instead we kick off the tournament season with the "Crown Jewel"..Will anyone even care about the other two state tournaments????

I've heard they've been cancelled.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Run, one more correction. Unless Rugby has had a huge spike in enrollment, I'm guessing 285 is their 7-12 enrollment. I saw a couple of years ago that they were around 205ish for 9-12.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm

I was thinking the same thing. Not runs fault but the ndhsaa needs to clarify it or document it better between them and the schools when they make their directory each year
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:01 am

State Tourney Statistics - thru Day 2

Pts/G
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 24.5
Briton Bussman (Milnor) 24.0
Austin Longie (FW-M) 22.0
Jade Bentz (Trenton) 19.5
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 19.5
Trayvon McKay (FW-M) 18.5
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh) 18.0
Kyle Lovcik (Rugby) 18.0
Ryan Chrest (Cavalier) 17.5
Anthony Olson (L-LM) 17.0
Brock Robbins (Cavalier) 17.0

FG%
Lane Huck (Trenton) 68.8%
Brad Heidlebaugh (Rugby) 66.7%
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 60.9%
Jade Bentz (Trenton) 56.5%
Michael Rademacher (Trenton) 54.5%
Anthony Olson (L-LM) 53.8%
Jared Meiklejohn (L-LM) 52.4%
Briton Bussman (Milnor) 50.0%
Trayvon McKay (FW-M) 48.3%
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 47.5%

FGM
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 19
Briton Bussman (Milnor) 18
Trayvon McKay (FW-M) 14
Austin Longie (FW-M) 14
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 14
Brock Robbins (Cavalier) 14
Anthony Olson (L-LM) 14

3P%
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 60.0%
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh) 50.0%
Trayvon McKay (FW-M) 50.0%
Jared Meiklejohn (L-LM) 50.0%
Jade Bentz (Trenton) 50.0%
Trenten Hove (Trenton) 42.9%
Austin Longie (FW-M) 40.0%
Josh Michels (Rugby) 38.5%

3PM
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 6
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh) 6
Trenten Hove (Trenton) 6
Austin Longie (FW-M) 6
Josh Michels (Rugby) 5
Trayvon McKay (FW-M) 5

FT%
Brady Thielges (L-LM) 83.3%
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 83.3%
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 78.6%
Briton Bussman (Milnor) 75.0%
Kyle Lovcik (Rugby) 71.4%
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh) 71.4%
Austin Longie (FW-M) 66.7%
Brock Robbins (Cavalier) 66.7%
Kyle Halvorson (Rugby) 66.7%

FTM
Briton Bussman (Milnor) 12
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 11
Kyle Lovcik (Rugby) 10
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh) 10
Austin Longie (FW-M) 10
Jade Bentz (Trenton) 9
Ryan Chrest (Cavalier) 7

Rebounds
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 29
Brad Heidlebaugh (Rugby) 24
Anthony Olson (L-LM) 23
Isiah Binstock (D. Trinity) 21
Jade Bentz (Trenton) 20

Assists
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh) 12
Kenneth Hodem (L-LM) 11
Jacob Volk (D. Trinity) 9
Trenten Hove (Trenton) 8
Wyatt Mund (Milnor) 8

Minutes Played
Lane Huck (Trenton) 64
Michael Rademacher (Trenton) 64
Jade Bentz (Trenton) 64
Trenten Hove (Trenton) 64
Briton Bussman (Milnor) 64
Kenneth Hodem (L-LM) 64
Brady Thielges (L-LM) 64
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby luckyinlife » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:31 pm

I gotta say that I have noticed something from the teams playing this year. They give a hard foul and they help the player up or pat him on the back and ask if he is OK. These games have been closely contested and the players show total class in both winning and defeat.

Last night I run into a couple Four Winds players at the Grand and congratulate them on the win and tell them they played an impressive half court offense which in all honesty surprised me. The guys werel totally humble and gracious in the way they accepted the compliment.

What a statement of the kind of young men that are coming to the tournament and how they represent their communities. Says quite a bit about the coaches and the life lessons they are teaching.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:01 pm

FINAL TEAM STATS

Points Scored/Game
Four Winds-Minnewaukan 62.3
Milnor 61.3
Shiloh Christian 58.7
Trenton 55.3
Dickinson Trinity 55.0
Rugby 53.3
Cavalier 51.7
LaMoure-LM 49.3

Points Allowed/Game
LaMoure-LM 49.7
Rugby 50.7
Dickinson Trinity 52.3
Milnor 56.7
Trenton 56.0
Shiloh Christian 60.0
Cavalier 60.0
Four Winds-Minnewaukan 61.7

Point Differential/Game
Milnor 4.7
Rugby 2.7
Dickinson Trinity 2.7
Four Winds-Minnewaukan 0.7
LaMoure-LM -0.3
Trenton -0.7
Shiloh Christian -1.3
Cavalier -8.3
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:22 pm

The point differentials are crazy
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:58 pm

All-Tourney Team
Briton Bussman (Milnor)
Wyatt Mund (Milnor)
Austin Longie (FW-M)
Trayvon McKay (FW-M)
Jade Bentz (Trenton)
Anthony Olson (L-LM)
Jacob Volk (Trinity)
Kyle Lovcik (Rugby)
Donovan Lambert (Shiloh)
Ryan Chrest (Cavalier)

Tourney MVP: Briton Bussman, Milnor
Senior Athlete of the Year: Jacob Hagler, North Star
Coach of the Year: Gregg Grinsteinner, Dickinson Trinity

Spirit Award: Dickinson Trinity
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:34 pm

The Lakota did away with a lot a Bison over the years.....
Ironically the big furry creature got em back tonight!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:06 am

winner-within wrote:The Lakota did away with a lot a Bison over the years.....
Ironically the big furry creature got em back tonight!

lol...A+
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby playedalittle » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:20 pm

Flip and Scruffy,

Whilst I agree that the State B 'Boys' is the creme de la creme of state basketball excitement...
I would argue that the state B girls is going to be very exciting.
I have attended both state tournaments for a number of years and last years state B girls tournament in Bismarck was very entertaining with some good basketball played. I may mention that it was a very young tournament and many of the teams that played last season are ranked highly in the state.
Being from the East, it is nice to not have to travel, as the tournament is in Fargo, however, nothing beats the Bismarck Civic Center, with the MSU Dome coming in an improving second.

On a side note, any attendance numbers out for the class B boys yet? Seemed a bit down!
playedalittle
NDPreps Reserve

Postby d_fense » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:27 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:Run, of no fault of your own - I think you got mislead.

Trinity's 9-12 enrollment is 165. Maybe you used their 7-12 enrollment?

Milnors enrollment was also listed wrong. 84 is their 7-12 enrollment. The high school principal said 9-12 is actually 65 or 67.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ambition13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Run do you have the individual stats for the tourney as well?
A good sermon should be like a woman's skirt: short enough to rouse the interest, but long enough to cover the essentials - Ronald Knox
ambition13
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 pm

ambition13 wrote:Run do you have the individual stats for the tourney as well?

They are available on the website below at least for a while.

http://minottournaments.weebly.com/
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndcharlie55 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 pm

I wonder if anyone would agree with me that perhaps the whole tournament format for class B tourneys,
District, and Regional, should be modified so as to be more in line with the way things are done in class A.
What am I saying ? Just this, if a real good class A team has a bad night and loses a game in their regional
tourney they can still bounce back and make it to the state tournament. Not so in class B. I think a
good argument could be made that Beulah and North Star were the two best teams in class B all year long, but each of them had a bad night in their region and "poof" they were out, whereas some weaker teams made it to the "Big Dance" in Minot. I'm sure the folks in charge could figure out a way to correct this
situation even if it meant double-elimination or some other means. I feel it could some how be done.
I wonder if anyone out there agrees with me.
ndcharlie55
NDPreps Rookie

Postby theoldman » Wed May 01, 2013 9:19 am

ndcharlie55 wrote:I wonder if anyone would agree with me that perhaps the whole tournament format for class B tourneys,
District, and Regional, should be modified so as to be more in line with the way things are done in class A.
What am I saying ? Just this, if a real good class A team has a bad night and loses a game in their regional
tourney they can still bounce back and make it to the state tournament. Not so in class B. I think a
good argument could be made that Beulah and North Star were the two best teams in class B all year long, but each of them had a bad night in their region and "poof" they were out, whereas some weaker teams made it to the "Big Dance" in Minot. I'm sure the folks in charge could figure out a way to correct this
situation even if it meant double-elimination or some other means. I feel it could some how be done.

No way! That is the beauty of sports that sometimes the team that is not supposed to be there is there. Why should we give other teams a second chance because they are supposed to be good. If a team is one of the best then they would be there, they would not have a "bad night" during tournament time. Maybe next we should go to the NCAA tournament and let all the teams that lost to Wichita St. play them again because they were not supposed to lose to them. Upsets are what make sports awesome and leads to new teams not accidentally taking the spotlight but earning the spotlight.
theoldman
NDPreps Starter

Postby sportsfan25 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:29 am

ndcharlie55 wrote:I wonder if anyone would agree with me that perhaps the whole tournament format for class B tourneys,

I'm curious who you considered the "weaker" teams in Minot? Cavalier and Shiloh were in the 7th place game, but were each near the top in their region all year. If you're talking about the teams that beat Beulah and North Star (Trinity and Four Winds), you're saying teams that came into the tournament with two losses are weak; plus, they beat "the best" to get there. A lot of people considered Milnor 2nd tier (judging from pre-tournament posts) and they won it all!

I think having to win 6 games in a row to be state champs (as you can lose at districts and still make it to regionals) is one of the things that makes The B so special. I think this year's tourney showed what's right with the tourney, not what's wrong with it. JMHO.
sportsfan25
NDPreps Starter

Postby baloncesto » Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 pm

sportsfan25 wrote:

I'm curious who you considered the "weaker" teams in Minot? Cavalier and Shiloh were in the 7th place game, but were each near the top in their region all year. If you're talking about the teams that beat Beulah and North Star (Trinity and Four Winds), you're saying teams that came into the tournament with two losses are weak; plus, they beat "the best" to get there. A lot of people considered Milnor 2nd tier (judging from pre-tournament posts) and they won it all!

I think having to win 6 games in a row to be state champs (as you can lose at districts and still make it to regionals) is one of the things that makes The B so special. I think this year's tourney showed what's right with the tourney, not what's wrong with it. JMHO.

Nothing better than an upset! Just a for instance here, I think if it would have been double elimination, Oak Grove/Beulah/Trinity would have probably made it out of their region and we would have a different state champ. How much fun is it to watch a school with a tiny enrollment beat a team with a huge enrollment? We don't want to get rid of the "Cinderella" team (in my opinion). As the old saying goes, if it's not broken don't fix it.
Remember...there is always a little boy in the stands that wants to be just like you, don't disappoint him.
baloncesto
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Thu May 02, 2013 12:40 pm

You make it sound like Four Winds and Dickinson Trinity are bad teams, Four Winds lost to North Star by 1 in a tournament to start the year and Trinity had close games with Beulah every time they played ( Only thing I will say is a Regional Tournament should never be played on someone's home court). The State Tournament was one of the best we've had in a long, long time. Lots of Regions have 2 or 3 state caliber teams every year, this year Regions 4 & 7 left two very good teams at home. That's just how it works.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys