Region 2 Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Represents Region 2?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Grafton
26%
Cavalier
57%
Hillsboro-CV
5%
Griggs County Central
5%
Drayton-VE
2%
Midway-Minto
No votes
May-Port-CG
2%
Larimore
2%

Total votes : 42

Re: Region 2 Tourney

Postby cubsfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 am

I was very impressed how Cavalier defended in the second and third quarter. They forced Grafton into a lot of difficult shots. Grafton made a furious comeback late in third and the fourth. I thought Cavalier handled that pressure very poorly.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:06 am

old#63 wrote:On another note, I will say again, that Engelstad management doesn't even act like they want R2 regionals at the Betty. I wish there was some other venue that would work.

Please explain.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:00 am

cubsfan wrote:I was very impressed how Cavalier defended in the second and third quarter. They forced Grafton into a lot of difficult shots. Grafton made a furious comeback late in third and the fourth. I thought Cavalier handled that pressure very poorly.

This comment didnt have to be said.........they did an awesome job holding off the 2 time defending Region 2 champs........Had this game been close the whole game Grafton woulda won.....the refs favored them heavy in the comeback....Young Droog is protected well............Brock was the difference individually

Congrats to the Tornadoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bryce and Jerry and Brandon and to all the Parents!!!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4mrnative » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:19 am

Winner...it's time to call out your prognostication skills. You called out a lot of exactly what happened in the Regionals this year (in particular the absence of Beulah and NS...though it's certainly hard to argue with FW or DT!). Well called, Winner...I bow to your clairvoyance...and good luck to Cavalier and all the other state entrants.
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:34 am

Flying Wallenda wrote:
old#63 wrote:On another note, I will say again, that Engelstad management doesn't even act like they want R2 regionals at the Betty. I wish there was some other venue that would work.

Please explain.

Just my perception that they are very unappreciative of the event being held there. My only personal experience is working with them on trying to line up equipment delivery and music for halftime presentations during the games. The individuals I had contact with were generally dismissive and seemed uninterested in problem solving or assistance. And I'm not speaking of just one year or one time, but over the years.

Don't get me wrong, the facility is second to none. It's just my perception of their attitude that bugs me.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:40 am

winner-within wrote:
cubsfan wrote:I was very impressed how Cavalier defended in the second and third quarter. They forced Grafton into a lot of difficult shots. Grafton made a furious comeback late in third and the fourth. I thought Cavalier handled that pressure very poorly.

This comment didnt have to be said.........they did an awesome job holding off the 2 time defending Region 2 champs........Had this game been close the whole game Grafton woulda won.....the refs favored them heavy in the comeback....Young Droog is protected well............Brock was the difference individually

Congrats to the Tornadoes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bryce and Jerry and Brandon and to all the Parents!!!!

Speaking of things that didn't have to be said. Winner, you use one foul that should have been called on Droog to support a statement that the refs heavily favored Grafton?.... I call BS. Congrats to Cavalier, nice victory, move on. Every game doesn't have to turn into a critique on reffing.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:05 am

4mrnative wrote:Winner...it's time to call out your prognostication skills. You called out a lot of exactly what happened in the Regionals this year (in particular the absence of Beulah and NS...though it's certainly hard to argue with FW or DT!). Well called, Winner...I bow to your clairvoyance...and good luck to Cavalier and all the other state entrants.

Well 4mrnative I appreciate that, I have always looked at Basketball as part of my chemical make up...like country music ......where I grew up those were the 2 things that pulled me out of any low that I have encountered in my life....I never once in my life had the opportunity to compete in front of a high school crowd in any other sport (which is also sad for me sometimes).....but anyways, I think of Class B Basketball in North Dakota as a flock of Snow Geese....you never know where there going to set down!... :)
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 am

old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Speaking of things that didn't have to be said. Winner, you use one foul that should have been called on Droog to support a statement that the refs heavily favored Grafton?.... I call BS. Congrats to Cavalier, nice victory, move on. Every game doesn't have to turn into a critique on reffing.

I'm talking all year!!! what about the fouls Spence and Bigwood have had called on them for breathing to hard......I'll take this gripe to the end I dont care what anybody says.........Region 2 will be in Saturday nights Late game!!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:49 am

winner-within wrote:
old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

I'm talking all year!!! what about the fouls Spence and Bigwood have had called on them for breathing to hard......I'll take this gripe to the end I dont care what anybody says.........Region 2 will be in Saturday nights Late game!!!!

We'll agree to disagree. And I'll give you Saturday night, I'm just not sure I'll give you the late game. :P But good luck to the Tornadoes. I hope they have a great state tourney and show people that R2 belongs there every year.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 am

Ok, I'm slightly optimistic but I'm excited too!!....Thanks Old #63 and dont get me wrong, Droog is a winner and has a very bright future......also I hope (and I know they do) that Grafton appreciates those ST Tommy boys they scored big by bringing them south!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby old#63 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:15 pm

winner-within wrote:Ok, I'm slightly optimistic but I'm excited too!!....Thanks Old #63 and dont get me wrong, Droog is a winner and has a very bright future......also I hope (and I know they do) that Grafton appreciates those ST Tommy boys they scored big by bringing them south!!!

Ya, a couple of us were talking that if Drayton and St Thomas could have hung onto the coop a little longer (and if some people wouldn't have had to move away), that the Blue Knights might have had a shot this year. Put the Drayton kids that played for DVE, the ST kids that played for Grafton, and the Sumner kid that played for Hillsboro (he lived in ST during grade school) together and they might have made a run. Or... if the schools had gone ahead with the coop that got talked about for a while (D-VE-ST), they would have had a great shot at going. Oh well, a path not taken.
old#63
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:42 pm

old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:
old#63 wrote:
winner-within wrote:

We'll agree to disagree. And I'll give you Saturday night, I'm just not sure I'll give you the late game. :P But good luck to the Tornadoes. I hope they have a great state tourney and show people that R2 belongs there every year.

I'm not sure i'm thinking the same way. I actually see them in the first game Saturday. Will have to see, though.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby coolhandluke » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:42 pm

winner-within wrote:

Winner, just say to yourself, congratulations to the Tornadoes and leave it at that. Any reffing comments are idiotic and as adults we need to do what the kids should be and are taught, you can't do anything about it once it's called, so move on. The game tape should be sent in for that one last night, many rough calls. The refs need to watch it with some high level refs and be taught a couple things to watch for. They missed a bunch, probably both ways, but of course as I'm from Grafton, way more that favored Cavalier - Ha Ha. :?:
coolhandluke
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:05 am

coolhandluke wrote:
winner-within wrote:

Winner, just say to yourself, congratulations to the Tornadoes and leave it at that. Any reffing comments are idiotic and as adults we need to do what the kids should be and are taught, you can't do anything about it once it's called, so move on. The game tape should be sent in for that one last night, many rough calls. The refs need to watch it with some high level refs and be taught a couple things to watch for. They missed a bunch, probably both ways, but of course as I'm from Grafton, way more that favored Cavalier - Ha Ha. :?:

Like I said before........I'll mention reffing if I want, because I used to ref........Its like this, Who do want to build your House??? the good Carpenter or the one thats average???
Moving on is what I do best........especially after a win!!!
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:57 pm

winner-within wrote:I'm talking all year!!! what about the fouls Spence and Bigwood have had called on them for breathing to hard......I'll take this gripe to the end I dont care what anybody says.........Region 2 will be in Saturday nights Late game!!!!

a friend of mine who was covering the the region 2 tourney told me if Cavalier ends up in the title game it doesn't say much for ND basketball.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Flip wrote:
winner-within wrote:I'm talking all year!!! what about the fouls Spence and Bigwood have had called on them for breathing to hard......I'll take this gripe to the end I dont care what anybody says.........Region 2 will be in Saturday nights Late game!!!!

a friend of mine who was covering the the region 2 tourney told me if Cavalier ends up in the title game it doesn't say much for ND basketball.

Look out for Trenton...they have a very solid team!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:57 pm

Yeah after doing a little research Trenton has 2 maybe even 3 solid players that can score. They really like to run the floor. Do a lot of full court press. Seem to be a good team.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby kingjames101 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:06 pm

Flip wrote:

I will disagree with you on that Flipper. If they end up in the title game that means they played their hearts out n played good ball in which they will need to if they are playing sat night. Does not mean anything bad towards ND basketball at all. If anything it shows that anybody can compete on any given night if given the chance. That is the great thing about the B baby. Should be a great tourney. Everybody needs to get the Chip off their shoulder about the best teams are not playing so on so on etc. If they were the best they would not be at home. Good luck to all teams at the State B......
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 pm

kingjames101 wrote:I will disagree with you on that Flipper. If they end up in the title game that means they played their hearts out n played good ball in which they will need to if they are playing sat night. Does not mean anything bad towards ND basketball at all. If anything it shows that anybody can compete on any given night if given the chance. That is the great thing about the B baby. Should be a great tourney. Everybody needs to get the Chip off their shoulder about the best teams are not playing so on so on etc. If they were the best they would not be at home. Good luck to all teams at the State B......

It could mean they played their hearts out and the competition isn't that great. I honestly do not know I'm only passing on what someone that watched the region 2 tournament told me.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby kingjames101 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:04 am

Flip wrote:
kingjames101 wrote:I will disagree with you on that Flipper. If they end up in the title game that means they played their hearts out n played good ball in which they will need to if they are playing sat night. Does not mean anything bad towards ND basketball at all. If anything it shows that anybody can compete on any given night if given the chance. That is the great thing about the B baby. Should be a great tourney. Everybody needs to get the Chip off their shoulder about the best teams are not playing so on so on etc. If they were the best they would not be at home. Good luck to all teams at the State B......

It could mean they played their hearts out and the competition isn't that great. I honestly do not know I'm only passing on what someone that watched the region 2 tournament told me.[/quote

That is their opinion n that is fair. Four Winds beats Northstar n you u think the competition isnt great. So are u saying Northstar is a poor team along with the team that beat the Miners out west or the team that beat Oak Grove. The teams in the tourney are there for a reason. If you dont like the system get over it. They did the steps the system called for to get there. Give them the credit they deserve until the system changes. You will never please everybody no matter what u do.

Basketball is a game of runs correct. Schools n their programs also go on runs. Look at the run northstar has had over the last 12 years. Small school system brings fans together for the love of the game n fun. 8 teams are in Minot n they deserve to be there n we cant change it now. We will have a new system soon. Population is going down coops are going to be very common n we will need to work around it n make a new way to put it together. Be patient n enjoy what we have cuz it is what it is until they tell us different n when they do people will be mad then to. Thats life n sports isnt a life n death piece to the puzzle of life...
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:18 am

kingjames101 wrote:Four Winds beats Northstar n you u think the competition isnt great.

Never said the competition isn't great.

If you dont like the system get over it.

I've never complained about the system.

They did the steps the system called for to get there.

This is 100% true. You can't fault a team for winning an average region.

Population is going down coops are going to be very common n we will need to work around it n make a new way to put it together.

Co-ops are very common right now.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Previous

Return to Boys