Region 7 Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Represents Region 7?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Beulah
41%
Dickinson Trinity
43%
Heart River
4%
Hazen
4%
Mott-Regent
2%
New England
2%
Hettinger-Scranton
2%
Richardton-Taylor
No votes

Total votes : 46

Re: Region 7 Tourney

Postby newkidontheblock » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

I wasn't talking about inconsistency between the two crews, I was talking about inconsistencies among both of the crews. I thought the first crew was inconsistent in the way it protected Beulah's star players. I thought the second crew was inconsistent in just about every way possible. I wouldn't care which way they had chosen to call it as long as they were the same for each individual and each team and it wasn't that way in either game last night. Zacher and Hettich both got away with a lot of stuff when Honneyman and Habberstrogh got whistled for doing the exact same thing... Either all four should have been whistled or none of them should have been whistled. Same thing in the second game. Two identical plays would happen withing two minutes but it would be a block on one half of the floor and a charge on the other. They were borderline type plays that could go either way- but it has to be either a block on both sides of the floor or a charge on both sides- either a foul on both sides or a blocked shot on both side- either a travel on both sides or a no call on both sides... I'm happy either way if they'd just be consistent, and the consistency was terrible.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:55 pm

There are too many different variables that could make a block/charge call go either way to say that if it was a block on one end, it shouldn't have been a charge on the other end. I don't think you can use that as an argument for refs being inconsistent. Too many bleacher refs in those cases.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Jenkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Ditka JR wrote:After last night I'm going to say that Taylor Zentner is up there with Zacher and Volk, the kid is good. But, ill take Beulah tomorrow in OT, 61-58. I really would love to see a repeat from this team!

Pretty bold statement, but I see your point. Last night was the second game I've seen from him...and yes he's probably having the best tournament of any player right now. What I really like about the kid, and correct me if i'm wrong, is that he seems so humble. He doesn't come off arrogant or cocky to me at all.
May he does usually, but he sure hasn't this tournament! seems like a great kid.
Zacher and Volk are in a stage of their own. Their size and strength set them apart. Zentner just isn't big enough to be on their level. Even though he does extremely well with his 5-11, 150 pound frame.
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby MSUBeaverfever » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:07 pm

First ever post--- NDHSAA sends list to boys coaches to vote on offficials that are eligible to officiate regional competition. From that voted pool officials are choosen. Then like a big puzzle officials are placed in either Boys/Girls/WDA/EDC regions. The Tournament manager is notified of the 5-6 officials that will be working the regional. Tournament Manager selects officiating schedule before all games in most cases. So an example is -- Official John Doe knows on Friday, Feb. 22nd that he is officiating the first two games Monday and the last game on Tuesday and Thursday no matter who is playing.

Common practice is the official that is selected to do the state tournemant works the championship game.

Coaches have NO say in who is reffing any of the games-Please stop that suggestion.

In VB/GBB/BBB the Tournament Manager has the right to move someone around if he/she wishes to try and avoid a potential conflict within reason. Example is Heart River's very fine VB coach retired and was selected to officiate the Region 7 VB tourney the next year by the coaches. We would all agree that he probably shouldn't be put in the situation to officiate a heart River match so soon. 3 years from now- no problem. Many scenerios can be played out because of work, residence, experience, etc but I do trust that they are doing thier best.

Good Luck to all teams in the finals and keep it positive
MSUBeaverfever
NDPreps Rookie

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:29 pm

MSUBeaverfever wrote:First ever post--- NDHSAA sends list to boys coaches to vote on offficials that are eligible to officiate regional competition. From that voted pool officials are choosen. Then like a big puzzle officials are placed in either Boys/Girls/WDA/EDC regions. The Tournament manager is notified of the 5-6 officials that will be working the regional. Tournament Manager selects officiating schedule before all games in most cases. So an example is -- Official John Doe knows on Friday, Feb. 22nd that he is officiating the first two games Monday and the last game on Tuesday and Thursday no matter who is playing.

Common practice is the official that is selected to do the state tournemant works the championship game.

Coaches have NO say in who is reffing any of the games-Please stop that suggestion.

In VB/GBB/BBB the Tournament Manager has the right to move someone around if he/she wishes to try and avoid a potential conflict within reason. Example is Heart River's very fine VB coach retired and was selected to officiate the Region 7 VB tourney the next year by the coaches. We would all agree that he probably shouldn't be put in the situation to officiate a heart River match so soon. 3 years from now- no problem. Many scenerios can be played out because of work, residence, experience, etc but I do trust that they are doing thier best.

Good Luck to all teams in the finals and keep it positive

I know that in the District the coaches get to choose one, wasn't sure about the regional. So you feel that someone who was once employed by the school as a teacher/coach or both and whos kids went to that school and played for the current coach wouldn't be a little bit biased? Just a hypothetical question
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby MSUBeaverfever » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:48 pm

LOL-- I knew that was going to be the next question. Respectfully--98% of the fans wouldn't care until someone brings it up because of a block/charge gone bad and the 2% are stirring the pot. It can also work both ways as the former graduate of Noonan doesn't want the fans to be thinking he is offiating for Noonan so Noonan doesnt get any calls. IMO-it will be used as an excuse by some but the opinions that matter will know that for 2 hours any official will see green and orange and not worry about what the name is across the front. PS. Please dont send examples of poor officiating or post it in a different area. The region 7 championship will be played by two very good teams and that should be this forums discussion. Keep it positive.
MSUBeaverfever
NDPreps Rookie

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:50 pm

The Schwab wrote:I know that in the District the coaches get to choose one, wasn't sure about the regional. So you feel that someone who was once employed by the school as a teacher/coach or both and whos kids went to that school and played for the current coach wouldn't be a little bit biased? Just a hypothetical question

I still don't think the underlined portion of your statement is true.

As for your hypothetical situation, I think it would first depend on how far and how many years removed that individual was from the "once upon a time" situation. Also, don't forget that in many cases I think that situation will actually work AGAINST the team they are formerly connected with, as the official is likely to overcompensate in order to prevent even the appearance of bias that they actually become a homer against their former affiliation.

When it all comes down to it, unless there is a terribly obvious connection, I think we should trust the officials to be able to separate themselves come game time and realize that these games (especially boys games) happen so quickly that I don't know how a ref could ever have time to really over-think a call before blowing or not blowing the whistle.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:58 pm

For the district tournament (at least our tournament) the championship game coaches each got to choose 1 official and the 3rd was either appointed or selected at random.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm

The Schwab wrote:For the district tournament (at least our tournament) the championship game coaches each got to choose 1 official and the 3rd was either appointed or selected at random.

If that's true, and I still suspect it's rumor... that's messed up, and your district would be the only tournament I've heard of in any place at any level doing it that way.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Jenkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:01 pm

The Schaub is right
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka JR » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Jenkman wrote:
Ditka JR wrote:After last night I'm going to say that Taylor Zentner is up there with Zacher and Volk, the kid is good. But, ill take Beulah tomorrow in OT, 61-58. I really would love to see a repeat from this team!

Pretty bold statement, but I see your point. Last night was the second game I've seen from him...and yes he's probably having the best tournament of any player right now. What I really like about the kid, and correct me if i'm wrong, is that he seems so humble. He doesn't come off arrogant or cocky to me at all.
May he does usually, but he sure hasn't this tournament! seems like a great kid.
Zacher and Volk are in a stage of their own. Their size and strength set them apart. Zentner just isn't big enough to be on their level. Even though he does extremely well with his 5-11, 150 pound frame.

He is very humble. IMO Zentner, if he was 6'2'' just like Volk, Zacher, Carr, he would be as good or even better. He does this every night he plays. If he doesn't get Senior Athlete of The Year in the Region.. I will be disappointed.
Ditka JR
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jenkman » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:00 pm

Ditka JR wrote:
Jenkman wrote:

He is very humble. IMO Zentner, if he was 6'2'' just like Volk, Zacher, Carr, he would be as good or even better. He does this every night he plays. If he doesn't get Senior Athlete of The Year in the Region.. I will be disappointed.

woah woah..slow down there. No way Zentner wins. To much politics into it. And Zacher has won a state championship. Guarantee you Zacher wins, and he should.
Not taking anything away form Zentner, cuz the kid is a freak. But just stating the obvious here.
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:29 pm

Ok question for you region 7 followers, how many all staters should region 7 have
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mike Ditka » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:03 pm

What District get's to vote on refs Schwab? I thought they just recommended? Also, Ditka junior, Zentner wont win Region 7 athlete of the year. There are two all staters in Zacher and Volk, whomever won on that side will get it, and rightfully so, Zacher did if I remember correct.

As for Region 7 all staters, Volk and Zacher, thats probably it. Too many voters in the east.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NorthDakota11 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:20 am

Titans by 4 tonight
"Why did you go for two?"

"Because I couldn't go for three..." - Woody Hayes
NorthDakota11
NDPreps Starter

Postby Ditka JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Schwab IMO I think there could be 3-4 all staters in this region.. But, like Mike Ditka said, way to many voters in the east. So Volk and Zacher are for sure.
Ditka JR
NDPreps Reserve

Postby newkidontheblock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm

MSUBeaverfever wrote:PS. Please dont send examples of poor officiating or post it in a different area. The region 7 championship will be played by two very good teams and that should be this forums discussion. Keep it positive.

There are two very good teams that will be playing in the Region 7 Championship. In fact, there are two tremendous teams playing. In many people's opinion, mine included, the two best teams in the state. The two most athletic teams I've ever seen. That's the exact reason that it would be a crying shame if inconsistent reffing decided the game, and while you want me to be positive I would consider it a very negative thing.

Zacher and Volk, Hettich and Binstock, Nelson and Kubik, and all the other players, These players should decide the outcome of the game, but I promise you if the calls are as inconsistent and constantly change depending on whose half of the court the ball is on like they were in both games Tuesday night it will be the refs that decide which team goes to state and not the players.

Frankly, I'm sick of the "Oh gosh, we can't say anything bad about the refs because that would be wrong" attitude. I haven't called anyone out by name and I haven't attacked anyone on a personal level, and I haven't accused them of bias simply of inconsistency. When a player has a bad night shooting or gives up too many points it is often discussed on here. When a coach makes a tactical error or mismanages his substitutions or time outs it is discussed on here. So why is it such a sin to discuss any obvious shortcomings of the refs?

There are borderline calls that are left to interpretation and can go either way. I just want them to go the same way on both sides of the floor. That was not the case in either game Tuesday night.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:33 pm

To be honest, i think the officiating in Region 7 this year has been very inconsistent. I have watched to many games where a kid can get pushed on a layup with a no call, then on the other end he will "hand check" a it will get called. IMO this year has been a bad year with the refs. They still go out every night and do there best but, they have been way to inconsistent.
Ditka JR
NDPreps Reserve

Postby newkidontheblock » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Obviously not I nor anyone else can track an entire season from a region, but if this regional tournament has been the same as the season you'd be right Ditka JR. I've seen all 6 of the games in the tournament so far, and I've been very disappointed in how identical plays get's called 3 different ways depending on which two teams are playing and which one has the ball.

I'm trying to be some what respectful by not bringing up too specific of examples which might make it seem more personal than it should be. Like I've said this whole time, I don't care which of the three ways they decide to make certain calls if they call it the same for both teams the whole game.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Ditka JR » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:02 pm

I follow this Region since im around the area, and from most games it seems the refs have been way to inconsistent.
Ditka JR
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mike Ditka » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:40 pm

scc wrote:
Mike Ditka wrote:What District get's to vote on refs Schwab? I thought they just recommended? Also, Ditka junior, Zentner wont win Region 7 athlete of the year. There are two all staters in Zacher and Volk, whomever won on that side will get it, and rightfully so, Zacher did if I remember correct.

As for Region 7 all staters, Volk and Zacher, thats probably it. Too many voters in the east.

An all-too-often repeated misnomer...

Repeated, but undeniably true. It works both ways, Media representatives in the east don't know a darn thing about Taylor Zentner, or Stephen Kristy for example (two great players from Dist. 13.) Just as Media in the west doesn't know about great players in the east that are capable of being all staters. I understand it's a tough situation, but it is obviously true.

Someone fill me in on the ref situation? I have missed both Monday and Tuesday of the Regional Tourney so I haven't been putting in my opinions...but I can say I know that the refs haven't had anything to do with the blow outs that have happened in the first two rounds. Aggressive teams usually get the calls, and often the aggressor is in the lead, making the team trailing, and probably not getting calls, think they are getting homered. The refs have been fine in games I have seen, nothing worth talking about. I hope they go completely unnoticed tonight, but Bball is a very tough game to officiate, and no matter what, the loser isn't going to be happy.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gominers » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 pm

I've only watched the Beulah/Mott-Regent game. To me it seamed like one ref wanted to call the game tight and another wanted to call the game loose. I've also never seen those two work together before. It didn't effect the final outcome and both were fair and equal to both teams. The comments about players getting "protected" is pure sour grapes. Good players are more skilled and therefore can steal the ball or get the rebound from behind without fouling.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby westriver bison » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 pm

14-4 Trinity 2 minutes left 1st quarter. Trinity shooting 70%

17-10 Trinity after 1

22-19 Beulah 4 minutes left in the half

27-23 Trinity at the half. Beulah 2-8 on free throws

37-31 Trinity after 3

44-33 6:19

51-35 3:30 left Trinty in control

57-40 221 left

53-38 2:33 Volk just fouled out

64-52 final
Last edited by westriver bison on Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
westriver bison
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:43 pm

DT win?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby irisheel » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:48 pm

Flip wrote:DT win?

53-40 2:36 remain

Volk fouled out