Region 7 Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who Represents Region 7?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:22 pm

Beulah
41%
Dickinson Trinity
43%
Heart River
4%
Hazen
4%
Mott-Regent
2%
New England
2%
Hettinger-Scranton
2%
Richardton-Taylor
No votes

Total votes : 46

Re: Region 7 Tourney

Postby rains32 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:56 pm

Update?
rains32
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:13 pm

Trinity won
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Buck » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Final score?
Buck
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:25 am

Buck wrote:Final score?

64-52
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Jenkman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:33 am

Kind of boring game. Low scoring, lots of turnovers. Bad free-throw shooting.
Beulah let the refs get in their head. Great careers for them Beulah seniors, 39 game win streak comes to an end.
Congrats to Trinity! Played great defense and had some good help off the bench. They look like the early favorite to win the state title!

Congrats to Taylor Zentner on his 1000th point tonight. He had one of the best tournaments i've seen in a while. standing ovation of a packed Trinity gym of around 2300 was pretty sweet. Hats off to him.
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:11 am

The Schwab wrote:For the district tournament (at least our tournament) the championship game coaches each got to choose 1 official and the 3rd was either appointed or selected at random.

Long time coach here...district refs where I coached r voted on by all district coaches and selected. At the tournament the tournament manager makes game assignments, coaches have zero say.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 am

MSUBeaverfever wrote:First ever post--- NDHSAA sends list to boys coaches to vote on offficials that are eligible to officiate regional competition. From that voted pool officials are choosen. Then like a big puzzle officials are placed in either Boys/Girls/WDA/EDC regions. The Tournament manager is notified of the 5-6 officials that will be working the regional. Tournament Manager selects officiating schedule before all games in most cases. So an example is -- Official John Doe knows on Friday, Feb. 22nd that he is officiating the first two games Monday and the last game on Tuesday and Thursday no matter who is playing.

Common practice is the official that is selected to do the state tournemant works the championship game.

Coaches have NO say in who is reffing any of the games-Please stop that suggestion.

In VB/GBB/BBB the Tournament Manager has the right to move someone around if he/she wishes to try and avoid a potential conflict within reason. Example is Heart River's very fine VB coach retired and was selected to officiate the Region 7 VB tourney the next year by the coaches. We would all agree that he probably shouldn't be put in the situation to officiate a heart River match so soon. 3 years from now- no problem. Many scenerios can be played out because of work, residence, experience, etc but I do trust that they are doing thier best.

Good Luck to all teams in the finals and keep it positive

Yep that's about it.
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:19 am

Trinity did what they failed to do the first two times these teams met. They protected the ball, made their "bunny" shots and did well at the free throw line. Two great teams went at it three times this year. The atmosphere in the building was awesome Thursday night. Great setting....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby West Dakota » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:07 pm

Here's the two championship night games in pictures.
Man does Dickinson need a civic center....
Just click on this link, there's like 250 shots.

http://www.shutterfly.com/progal/album. ... 343ed615fa

West Dakota
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby newkidontheblock » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:11 pm

Jenkman wrote:Kind of boring game. Low scoring, lots of turnovers. Bad free-throw shooting.
Beulah let the refs get in their head. Great careers for them Beulah seniors, 39 game win streak comes to an end.
Congrats to Trinity! Played great defense and had some good help off the bench. They look like the early favorite to win the state title!

Congrats to Taylor Zentner on his 1000th point tonight. He had one of the best tournaments i've seen in a while. standing ovation of a packed Trinity gym of around 2300 was pretty sweet. Hats off to him.

I agree with your post except for the first line and your attendance statement.

Disagreements: That was one of the most exciting games I've seen. The individual talent on both sides makes for some awesome play making. It wasn't low scoring at all. Trinity's 64 points is plenty enough for a high school game, especially considering Beulah's defense makes it tough to even cross half court let alone score- and you gave Trinity credit for their defense which is the reason Beulah scored 52. Beulah didn't shoot freethrows well, but Trinity did which is what sealed the game down the stretch. There had to be more like 3,000 people there. I've never seen a gym overflow that much and both teams crowds had amazing spirit. Trinity's crowd is so organized compared to anyone else's.

Agreements: Congratulations to Trinity. They picked the right time to play that game. Defense was practically unbelievable- especially the job Good did on Zacher. As far as state, They probably are the favorite but I'm not ready to pick them yet. It's tricky. I think they were the only team in the state capable of knocking off Beulah and they did, but often teams that come off Region Titles that competitive are still celebrating when they get to the dance a week later and get knocked off early. I've already stated that Trinity has shown they are susceptible to such behavior (almost got beat by Hazen in the district semifinal- and there will be a lot of teams at state better than Hazen). Zenter did have a great tournament. Volk and Zacher are better players, but Zenter is certainly the most valuable to his team.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Jenkman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Yeah you are probably right.
It just seemed boring to me because of the terrible seat I had. Couldn't see half the court. So tight and uncomfortable. So many people there :) ! It was incredible. What an atmosphere though!
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby 3sportfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:10 pm

what an atmosphere if you get to play every regional tournament on your home court
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby newkidontheblock » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:34 pm

3sportfan wrote:what an atmosphere if you get to play every regional tournament on your home court

Two things.

Beulah beat Trinity on that same court once this year, and it was by more points than they when they beat Trinity on Beulah's court. Beulah also won the same tournament in the same gym against the same team last year.

I'm glad the game was there because if it had been at any other gym in the area I would have been one of about 1,000 people the fire marshal would have turned away at the door.

That was a fantastic game played by two fantastic teams in a fantastic atmosphere. A true classic in fine Region 7 fashion. Don't try to detract from it with excuses.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:39 pm

I took bets on when the first "home court advantage" comment would appear on the message board. I really thought we'd get one before noon today, but it took until mid afternoon.

Please ask your athletic director why he voted to put the tournament at Trinity, and let us know his response.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby 3sportfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:45 pm

so it must not be an advantage then, my bad
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby scruffy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:57 pm

The setting and atmosphere is second to none at Trinity for the regional tournament. Parking and concessions are good. it the perfect place?? No. Some seats are obstructed but 364 out of the 365 days a year it's more then big enough so I don't see anyone in the area coming up with the cash to build a larger facility that might be filled to capacity one night a year. As for why the regional AD's select Trinity as the host site is size which equates to dollars for all the schools in the region. Also, why deny 1000 fans the right to see great basketball by moving it to a smaller venue??
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby bison football73 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:32 pm

The only place in the Region that has more seating is Hazen but it is literally by like 20 seats and they are the eastern most team in the region so that will not happen
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby 3sportfan » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:12 pm

I was not trying to "detract" from the game, just stating that it would be great to play in that atmosphere on your home court. I also do not care who or what "my" AD or anyone elses AD is voting for, i guess i am the only one that thinks it would be nice to play in that atmoshere on your home court. Trinity played one heck of a game and have a great team, pleasure to watch them.
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby newkidontheblock » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:32 am

bison football73 wrote:The only place in the Region that has more seating is Hazen but it is literally by like 20 seats and they are the eastern most team in the region so that will not happen

Hazen has a lot more seats then Trinity when they don't have their baseline bleachers out but when they do have those bleachers out Trinity has to be a lot bigger. Plus how many little kids were sitting on the floor last night? That had to be another several hundred right there.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bisonguy06 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:25 am

Playing the game in Hazen doesn't take care of your home court advantage problem, either...

We'd all love to have a 3,000 to 5,000 seat arena as a neutral site for this tournament. For now, it is being played in the best available venue that the schools have agreed upon and I'm sorry but I just don't see what good it does to bring up this topic.
Bisonguy06
NDPreps All-State

Postby bison football73 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:57 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
bison football73 wrote:The only place in the Region that has more seating is Hazen but it is literally by like 20 seats and they are the eastern most team in the region so that will not happen

Hazen has a lot more seats then Trinity when they don't have their baseline bleachers out but when they do have those bleachers out Trinity has to be a lot bigger. Plus how many little kids were sitting on the floor last night? That had to be another several hundred right there.

With Hazen only having the two sides yes Trinity is bigger but Hazen having the top bleachers open I believe Hazen is bigger.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Jenkman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:27 am

Hmmmm. I'd like to hear how many people Hazen holds. I wouldn't think it would be more than trinity, that's for sure. But I could be wrong.
Trinity is the best place though. Central area, great parking
Jenkman
NDPreps Starter

Postby bison football73 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:03 am

Like I said it is by like 20 seats
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Previous

Return to Boys