Region 4 Tourney

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Who represents Region 4

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:29 pm

Four Winds-Minnewaukan
18%
North Star
73%
Carrington
4%
St. John
No votes
Harvey-Wells County
No votes
Munich-Starkweather
No votes
New Rockford-Sheyenne
No votes
Benson County
4%

Total votes : 49

Re: Region 4 Tourney

Postby woodchuck10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:15 pm

Anyone think the Semi's tonight will be half as exciting as they were last year?
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby HONKER » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:47 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:Anyone think the Semi's tonight will be half as exciting as they were last year?

I don't think so. But you never know.
HONKER
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:04 pm

59-37 Northstar.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4mrnative » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 pm

My goodness but those Sophomores and 8th graders have come on! Can NS find some additional athletes to step in to round out a bench and team?!
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:37 pm

FW-M cruises 84-48.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:45 am

I know one thing.........a 40 point spread in the semis is huge..........and please Indians, if you make it to State....dont stop there!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 pm

I'm sure a lot of folks would love to see the NorthStar boys taken down (it's human nature)...but I'm going to send the ole hometowns some lovin'. They are a much improved team from early in the year. The sophomores in particular and the 8th graders have stepped up as well. We may see some jitters early on one or both sides, but I think if NS puts its defense together aggressively, their size is going to make FW have a spectacular shooting night to pull it out. Both really nice teams, hat's off to the Indians, but I'm picking the Cats by 8.
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 pm

4mrnative wrote:I'm sure a lot of folks would love to see the NorthStar boys taken down (it's human nature)...but I'm going to send the ole hometowns some lovin'. They are a much improved team from early in the year. The sophomores in particular and the 8th graders have stepped up as well. We may see some jitters early on one or both sides, but I think if NS puts its defense together aggressively, their size is going to make FW have a spectacular shooting night to pull it out. Both really nice teams, hat's off to the Indians, but I'm picking the Cats by 8.

Would you say this is the best regional matchup in the state?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby 4mrnative » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:24 pm

LOL...not if I don't want the wrath of every other region loyalist on the site!! You have to love the Beulah/DT match-up. Grafton/Cavalier is feeling almost traditional. The LaMoure/SB match should generate some tremendous excitement and enthusiasm but I think this match up is very intriguing...one that's very hard to predict...
4mrnative
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:35 pm

I would rank the match-ups this way.

1. Beulah vs. Trinity
2. Four Winds vs. North Star
3. Milnor vs. Oak Grove
4. Grafton vs. Cavalier

The other 4 match-ups don't catch my interest. They very well could yield an exciting game- but Regions 3, 5, and 8 are going to send a non-state caliber team to the tournament no matter who wins and I think Rugby will breeze through their title game.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:37 pm

NDplayin wrote:I would rank the match-ups this way.

1. Beulah vs. Trinity
3. Milnor vs. Oak Grove
4. Grafton vs. Cavalier

The other 4 match-ups don't catch my interest. They very well could yield an exciting game- but Regions 3, 5, and 8 are going to send a non-state caliber team to the tournament no matter who wins and I think Rugby will breeze through their title game.

Lamoure and Trenton not state caliber???
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby HighPlainsDrifter » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:17 pm

I think NS has improved quite a bit from the 3rd game of the season. FW/M -- not so much.

I'll predict NS by 13.
HighPlainsDrifter
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:

1. Beulah vs. Trinity
3. Milnor vs. Oak Grove
4. Grafton vs. Cavalier

Lamoure and Trenton not state caliber???

Sorry, but no. Not when you realize that either Beulah or Trinity and either North Star or Four Winds will be staying home. It's not Lamoure or Trenton's fault, it's the fault of the system. Thanks to a pathetically broken system, only half of the teams in the state tournament will be state caliber.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:47 pm

Editing my original post.

If they make the state tourney, aren't they, by definition, state caliber teams.
Last edited by EHS1998 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 pm

You're putting me in a position I don't like being in. I'd much rather praise a team than have to tear one down. I'm only going to do this because it's necessary as a commentary on the broken system we have. I have no doubts that all of the players on all of the teams mentioned work hard and pour their heart and soul into every game- thus deserving credit for everything they've achieved under the current system as it sadly stands.

Now- You call those three teams state caliber teams based on what evidence? I know very well that LaMoure and Trenton have state-caliber win-loss records- but name one quality win the entire season. One single win against an opponent that has proven themselves to be a contender. I don't see one. And the losses I see are against teams that aren't contenders either.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luckyinlife » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:55 pm

Gents, this is some good discussion, but let's not hijack this thread. We have two outstanding teams in Region 4 that deserve our attention.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:01 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Editing my original post.

If they make the state tourney, aren't they, by definition, state caliber teams.

Highly disagree... Extremely highly disagree.

If they make the state tournament then they have proven they were the best team in their region those three days. Unfortunately we stick to a ridiculously bad system in which the best team in a region is too often not a state tournament caliber team. This particular year, that common problem is going to be even more evident and wide-spread than normal.

In my opinion, it's one thing if a state-tournament caliber team gets upset by a lesser team and has to stay home. However, when you're one of the best in the state and you lose to one of the best of the state, you shouldn't have to stay home and watch the 15th best team in the state play just because the best competition their region had to offer them was the 28th best team in the state.

Apologies about hijacking the thread... You're right, the two teams in the championship are two state caliber teams and both should be going to the state tournament- not just one of them. I feel badly that the loser will have to watch a mediocre Shiloh Christian team on TV. This is the whole state's problem though, and belongs in every thread... this one included.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby luckyinlife » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:11 pm

1. Beulah vs. Trinity
3. Milnor vs. Oak Grove
4. Grafton vs. Cavalier

If you use the views of the threads on this site as a guage, it would tell you that the fan interest in Region 4 is about 25% higher than any other region. I am a region 3 fan, but it appears that region 4 has a very excited and passionate fan base. The gym will be rocking come Thursday night.
luckyinlife
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:14 pm

Not going to comment further on this thread out of respect for the teams in the Region 4 Championship, both of whom I wish the best of luck on Thursday.

Ill take NS by 8 or more.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby wildboy » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 pm

I know everybody pick NS but FW will jus have to play hard for 32 mins and im taking FW by 6
wildboy
NDPreps Starter

Postby senditin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:05 pm

After the FWM semifinal, Frydenland didn't shake any of the FWM players hands. Way to be classy and a role model for your players coach.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Socnorb78 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:07 pm

I give hats off to Fourwinds and Northstar for a fabulous year of play and it is too bad they can't both make their way to Minot. I am going to pick NorthStar by 13!
Socnorb78
NDPreps Rookie

Postby kingjames101 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:19 pm

Four Winds wins by 1. Well played tight game but will go out on the edge and take four winds. Also I have to say hi n good luck to the old HONKER.
One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.
kingjames101
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby woodchuck10 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:31 pm

senditin wrote:After the FWM semifinal, Frydenland didn't shake any of the FWM players hands. Way to be classy and a role model for your players coach.

Same way Four Winds had class by firing a three with 5 seconds left and then getting the rebound and making a lay up at the buzzer with no St John defense there. Better just leave it at that....don't wanna get this topic locked ;)
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby senditin » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:45 pm

woodchuck10 wrote:
senditin wrote:After the FWM semifinal, Frydenland didn't shake any of the FWM players hands. Way to be classy and a role model for your players coach.

Same way Four Winds had class by firing a three with 5 seconds left and then getting the rebound and making a lay up at the buzzer with no St John defense there. Better just leave it at that....don't wanna get this topic locked ;)

Also, when coach smith went over to talk to the st. John coaches before the game, Frydenland went and sat on the last chair of the st john bench. Didn't say a word to smith. Classy.
senditin
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys