Waking Up Bishop Ryan

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Waking Up Bishop Ryan

Postby lioncrazies » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:55 pm

I don't know if any of you were at the District 12 Day at the Minot Auditorium but Bishop Ryan lost to M-L-S by 4 points(48-44). Head Coach Scott Medalen pulled 4 of the 5 starters in the late 3rd quarter:Jake Magnuson, Mitch Medalen, and Austin Eggl who did not score at all and Jared Will who scored little if any. He put in Freshman Tyler Daws, Sophomore Brenden Backes, Junior Nick Berentson, and Senior Matt Niess. Ryan was down 10-12 at the time and the bench did a great job cutting the deficit to 3. Bishop Ryan has struggled recently and is now 3-3 in the district. Many people may question this move but I think it was a great move to wake the team up.

Also, any thoughts on the expected, tight Berthold-DLB game.
lioncrazies
NDPreps Reserve

Re: Waking Up Bishop Ryan

Postby 3sportfan » Sun Feb 03, 2013 9:16 am

who won the Berthold-DLB game
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby lioncrazies » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:09 pm

3sportfan wrote:who won the Berthold-DLB game

DL-B won 64-60 in overtime. Jaeden Jenson's(berthold) jumper from the free throw line rattled in and out with 1.5 seconds left to end regulation.
lioncrazies
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eyeinthesky » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:16 am

http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/cont ... l?nav=5016

Interesting. A lot more to the story I am guessing...
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby justplayalready » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:08 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/573115/Medalen-out-as-Ryan-AD--coach.html?nav=5016

Not able to land the recruits like the girls program???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby lioncrazies » Sat Feb 09, 2013 6:22 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:http://www.minotdailynews.com/page/content.detail/id/573115/Medalen-out-as-Ryan-AD--coach.html?nav=5016

Well, I don't think I would say that it is because of this, but I will say Medalen was an intense and animated coach. Ryan has struggled all year. It is possible that he crossed the line on discipline or something. We will never know. All we will hear are rumors.
lioncrazies
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:07 pm

justplayalready wrote:

Not able to land the recruits like the girls program???

This is probably a joke but recruiting jokes are very distasteful. Not one "recruit" has come into the program.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby playedalittle » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:06 am

Indy 5 has a very good point.
Was the recruiting shot just a pass over the bow? Does "justplayalready have some substantive evidence?

Being an (East Sider) and not getting to see the Ryan team play this year, I was curious about the allegation of recruiting. I was able to track a Ryan graduate friend of mine down and pose the question,
"Is Ryan recruiting?"

His answer was plain and to the point. The school , which is a private catholic school is always looking to increase enrollment. Side note (The elementary school, junior high school, and high school) are now all housed in the same building since the devastating flood last year.

I must add my Bishop Ryan friend is a lady Lion fan. He told me the lineage of nearly all the players on the varsity team this year. I cannot quote you the names, but every single one of them has a strong family tie to the school. The most recent addition to the team was the Stewart girl, (as an 8th grader) her mother is a teacher at the school, and from what he said came from a large family of Ryan graduates.

Although a forever (East Sider) sounds like justplayalready has no reason to smear the name of the #1 team in the state for 8 straight Class B polls.

With regards to the boys coach being fired, no one will ever know the whole truth, but as in most cases, people in decision making roles dont take firing lightly.
playedalittle
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Indy5 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:47 pm

playedalittle wrote:I must add my Bishop Ryan friend is a lady Lion fan. He told me the lineage of nearly all the players on the varsity team this year. I cannot quote you the names, but every single one of them has a strong family tie to the school. The most recent addition to the team was the Stewart girl, (as an 8th grader) her mother is a teacher at the school, and from what he said came from a large family of Ryan graduates.

Just to point out Stewart moved here because he dad took the head coaching job at Minot State. And as you said she chose Ryan because her mom and other family members went there.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:23 am

I thought it was a clever joke...if the Ryan fans can't take the "recruiting" jokes, oh well...we deal with your obnoxious student section... :D

That being said, both previous posters have admitted the school does recruit...Actively or passively, whatever. They have to get students to get $$$ to operate, to get students they have to recruit:

Definition of RECRUIT

transitive verb
a (1) : to fill up the number of (as an army) with new members : reinforce (2) : to enlist as a member of an armed service
b : to increase or maintain the number of <America recruited her population from Europe>
c : to secure the services of : engage, hire
d : to seek to enroll <recruit prospective students>
: replenish
: to restore or increase the health, vigor, or intensity of

Their webpage recruits as defined in d above...

So now we have agreed that the school does recruit. Both previous posters have pointed out that Stewart "chose"...to choose implies by definition, "more than one option".

So now we are left with, do prospective students choose Ryan for Athletic reasons??? Academic reasons???
Somewhere in between??? personally it doesn't matter as to why Ryan was chosen, nor should it. What does matter and what we can argue about is do they(or any other school where more than one feasible option is available) have a competitive advantage over schools where the students don't "choose"...We can argue the degree of advantage they may or may not have, or even if it is anything to worry about...

So don't tell me Ryan doesn't recruit...Tell me that Ryan "does not gain any significant advantage against other schools they compete against with their recruitment of student athletes"...(In all honesty i believe this is true right now)
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:25 pm

Then doesn't every school "recruit"...public or private (By definition).
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Baller » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:28 pm

I saw a commercial the other day "recruiting" me to move to Barnesville and join their community. The last time I was in Minot I saw an advertisement "recruiting" me to come to Stanley.

Lots of "recruiting" going on.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby playedalittle » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:49 pm

Interesting point 'just play'.

Touche: Your point is taken on recruiting. However, your definition describes what every school district, public or private school, profit or non profit, does each and every day to survive and stay financially viable.

You were able to cut and paste for which I applaud.

However, your last comment with regards to your personal opinion on how Bishop Ryan gains an advantage was left unsubstantiated. I await your reply.
playedalittle
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justplayalready » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Of course I don't believe Ryan is actively recruiting athletes...or their coaches held to a standard of they must win.

I'm asking for discussion purposes, Is there a point where the program itself(academic or athletic), which passively recruits, gets to a point where it actively recruits? How much really does a big time College program such as Notre Dame FB or Duke MBB coach have to actively recruit??? The program does a lot of it. Put a great program leader and a few winning seasons together and does the program start actively recruiting??? Trinity B BBALL???

Again I don't believe Ryan has an advantage right now...I think it''s plausible, or more plausible then a small public school maintaining a program where "choice" isn't an option.

I'm looking for an answer as to why in the last 10 years the private B's, which is about 5% of the B's account for 31% of the state B participants(BOYS BBALL ONLY)???
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby chargers » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:42 pm

Just an interesting blurp about recruiting and private schools - Jesse Kubik, trinity's post, lives 8 miles from Killdeer being in there school district, but goes to school 25 miles away at Dickinson Trinity. Was he "recruited" or is there reason he goes to the private school 3 times the distance from his house?
chargers
NDPreps Reserve

Postby balla45 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:41 pm

justplayalready wrote:I'm looking for an answer as to why in the last 10 years the private B's, which is about 5% of the B's account for 31% of the state B participants(BOYS BBALL ONLY)??

The private schools are all located in cities with Class A schools. The kids grow up playing traveling basketball with and against Class A guys. They can go to the Y and play against some other players that can at least bring some competition. In some cases, players who would be marginal Class A players transfer to play Class B where they can get minutes and be successful.

Just as an example for boys, right now, the sophomores at Oak Groves are likely the best sophomores on any team in Fargo.

As another example, say you are a guy that plays for Shiloh who is from Bismarck. You likely grew up going to Shiloh camps, Bismarck camps, Century camps, Mandan camps, and YMCA camps. You played on a team with some kids who will end up being solid guys at some of the schools in the area. You get to high school age, and are still playing pick up with these guys a few times a week. Then you start going to noonball during summers and playing against current and former college players 4 times a week. You go to the Y at 7:00 during summers and play against more players at the Y 4 times a week. During the fall season, if you don't play a sport, or if you are a big basketball guy, you are still at the Y everyday playing with all of the other guys in the area who are big basketball guys, and play five on five everyday. It really is a never ending cycle.

Now compare that to a team in the middle of nowhere where you have a gym, and maybe one other guy who takes the game seriously. You won't have as many opportunities to be put in game situations. You can get very good playing in a gym by yourself, but for 99% of people, you need someone to help you take your game to the next level, and competition does that.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby leroybla » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:10 pm

balla45 wrote:
justplayalready wrote:I'm looking for an answer as to why in the last 10 years the private B's, which is about 5% of the B's account for 31% of the state B participants(BOYS BBALL ONLY)??

The private schools are all located in cities with Class A schools. The kids grow up playing traveling basketball with and against Class A guys. They can go to the Y and play against some other players that can at least bring some competition. In some cases, players who would be marginal Class A players transfer to play Class B where they can get minutes and be successful.

Just as an example for boys, right now, the sophomores at Oak Groves are likely the best sophomores on any team in Fargo.

As another example, say you are a guy that plays for Shiloh who is from Bismarck. You likely grew up going to Shiloh camps, Bismarck camps, Century camps, Mandan camps, and YMCA camps. You played on a team with some kids who will end up being solid guys at some of the schools in the area. You get to high school age, and are still playing pick up with these guys a few times a week. Then you start going to noonball during summers and playing against current and former college players 4 times a week. You go to the Y at 7:00 during summers and play against more players at the Y 4 times a week. During the fall season, if you don't play a sport, or if you are a big basketball guy, you are still at the Y everyday playing with all of the other guys in the area who are big basketball guys, and play five on five everyday. It really is a never ending cycle.

Now compare that to a team in the middle of nowhere where you have a gym, and maybe one other guy who takes the game seriously. You won't have as many opportunities to be put in game situations. You can get very good playing in a gym by yourself, but for 99% of people, you need someone to help you take your game to the next level, and competition does that.

Is it allowable for privates in large ND cities to have players from small class B towns as well? Or is a private school's "school district" the world?
leroybla
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:25 pm

leroybla wrote:Is it allowable for privates in large ND cities to have players from small class B towns as well? Or is a private school's "school district" the world?

Private Schools don't have a true school district...but they do have to abide by the NDHSAA transfer rules.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby forthree » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 pm

Buttom line. Private schools attract top students and many times they turn out to be top athletes as well. I graduate from a private school that took a beating in athletics but when it came to music and speach we took a backseat to NO ONE.
forthree
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:33 pm

balla45 wrote:

Excellent points.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:25 am

balla45 mentioned that private school kids grow up going to the different camps within that city so he is kind of touching on it, but the kids that go to these schools have money. They can afford to go to any camp they want, play on AAU teams, go to a skills academy, this isn't the case for every public school player.

I would also be willing to bet that private school students have parents that are pushing their kids harder to be successful. I mean that is why most of these kids go to these schools in the first place, their parents believe the quality of education is better.

Please note I didn't say all public school students are poor and don't have the opportunities of private school students. Some do, some do, but almost all private school students do.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby playedalittle » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am

The danger of using all, always, never...

I am going to look into some data on private school parental income vs. public in the state of ND.

I would guess that in ND, the mean income may not be that different. The cost of the private schools in ND certainly does not compare to the costs of many private schools out of state.

I hope to post the results here.
playedalittle
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am

I would agree that income is not the main factor in putting a child in a private school....but the budget of the school itself is (I would bet) noticeably different
these kids get the best of the best
access to facilities alone is huge, any kid that sets any scoring record in ND (private or public) has had much more access to a gym than Jon Doe who couldn't get in a gym if he tried to.

It still takes tradition and a good club though
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby newkidontheblock » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:54 am

winner-within wrote:I would agree that income is not the main factor in putting a child in a private school....but the budget of the school itself is (I would bet) noticeably different
access to facilities alone is huge, any kid that sets any scoring record in ND (private or public) has had much more access to a gym than Jon Doe who couldn't get in a gym if he tried to.

I hope by that you mean that the public school has an overabundance of dollars compared to the private school. If you meant it the other way around you would be quite inaccurate. Private Schools often operate with 1/2 to 2/3 the budget a similar sized public school does.

I couldn't agree with you more about tradition and program.
newkidontheblock
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:20 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
winner-within wrote:I would agree that income is not the main factor in putting a child in a private school....but the budget of the school itself is (I would bet) noticeably different

I hope by that you mean that the public school has an overabundance of dollars compared to the private school. If you meant it the other way around you would be quite inaccurate. Private Schools often operate with 1/2 to 2/3 the budget a similar sized public school does.

I couldn't agree with you more about tradition and program.

administrators and staff make alot less??
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Next

Return to Boys