Fans

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Fans

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 pm

bison football73 wrote:Coming from a student's point of view, I, if I don't agree with a call I will say something, but I will not make any comment about the ref such as calling him bald or fat and if I hear someone else in the student section say something like that I will tell them to not do it. I also hate when people start calling for fouls when they simply are not fouls. Yes I am biased but I know when a foul is a foul but if it is a blatant foul I don't say anything. Another pet peeve of mine is complaining for calls when your team is up by 20 with a minute left.

Ah, yes, the most famous things shouted from the stands "THREE SECONDS" or "OVER the BACK"...from all the refs located in the stands.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:59 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:
bison football73 wrote:Coming from a student's point of view, I, if I don't agree with a call I will say something, but I will not make any comment about the ref such as calling him bald or fat and if I hear someone else in the student section say something like that I will tell them to not do it. I also hate when people start calling for fouls when they simply are not fouls. Yes I am biased but I know when a foul is a foul but if it is a blatant foul I don't say anything. Another pet peeve of mine is complaining for calls when your team is up by 20 with a minute left.

Ah, yes, the most famous things shouted from the stands "THREE SECONDS" or "OVER the BACK"...from all the refs located in the stands.

Oh the three seconds yell...that one always gets me (even at JH) games. Most fans don't understand the rule on when the count starts, ends, resets, etc. It makes me laugh sometimes while reffing JH games. Sometimes the fan is correct and it should be called, but most times it shouldn't be. I've noticed that at least when a ref may hear that being yelled...they pay more attention to the lane in HS games.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MNTwinsFan » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

Oh the three seconds yell...that one always gets me (even at JH) games. Most fans don't understand the rule on when the count starts, ends, resets, etc. It makes me laugh sometimes while reffing JH games. Sometimes the fan is correct and it should be called, but most times it shouldn't be. I've noticed that at least when a ref may hear that being yelled...they pay more attention to the lane in HS games.

I would promise you that if I hear someone constantly yelling three seconds at a JH game, and I am officiating, I am restarting my count :)
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:01 am

Just a few of my own assessments

Being an Official of any kind, in any sport, requires thick skin and tremendous focus on being in control using the rules of the game.

also a Referee should call all games the same...not change the format because its:
1. 2 teams playing from different states
2. 2 ranked teams, yet one being better than the other
3. tournament vs regular season
4. highly ranked team playing an away game, expected to win though (let the game happen, upsets are a part of it)

when it comes to discipline for a player, or coach, or fan
1. have your technical foul line drawn in the sand before the contest starts...(Kieth Hartz and Bill Galloway were/are the best at this)
2.IGNORE....if problems arise from the fans....do the correct thing and find the Supt or the Prin or AD and take that route
3. don't watch a D1 game for influence (that game is much different than Class B ND)
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 pm

Some food for thought:
1. I hope that class b basketball doesn't get so "etiquetted" that the games become ho-hum. Have been to many games this year and often the crowds seem to just be going through the motion. Of course, some have been lopsided but sure does make it more enjoyable when both crowds are into it and I am sure the players would agree.
2. Not sure if this has been brought up before, but since reffing has been tied to this thread, will ask. How do district and regional reffing assignments happen? Personally, would love to see districts and especially regionals swap refs. It would mean a few more miles of course, but getting refs in there with less "history" on the players seems like it would make sense.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby eyeinthesky » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:29 pm

classB4ever wrote:Some food for thought:
1. I hope that class b basketball doesn't get so "etiquetted" that the games become ho-hum. Have been to many games this year and often the crowds seem to just be going through the motion. Of course, some have been lopsided but sure does make it more enjoyable when both crowds are into it and I am sure the players would agree.
2. Not sure if this has been brought up before, but since reffing has been tied to this thread, will ask. How do district and regional reffing assignments happen? Personally, would love to see districts and especially regionals swap refs. It would mean a few more miles of course, but getting refs in there with less "history" on the players seems like it would make sense.

Districts are chosen by the coaches. Coaches tend to want people that they have seen/know. Regions and State are assigned by NDHSAA.
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby CC1983 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:08 pm

Back to the "fans" part of the post. I would rather have fans yelling and screaming, than just sit and not do anything. As being a fan of one of the best teams in the state I am, at many times, disappointment in the lack of enthusiasm from our crowd, along with other crowds. Since when is it cool to just sit and not cheer. There are some student sections that rely on adults that do not even have children playing to get cheers started. Sometimes fans forget that its not always going to be good, getting a little spoiled in some parts of the state.
CC1983
NDPreps Starter

Postby winner-within » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 pm

CC1983 wrote:Back to the "fans" part of the post. I would rather have fans yelling and screaming, than just sit and not do anything. As being a fan of one of the best teams in the state I am, at many times, disappointment in the lack of enthusiasm from our crowd, along with other crowds. Since when is it cool to just sit and not cheer. There are some student sections that rely on adults that do not even have children playing to get cheers started. Sometimes fans forget that its not always going to be good, getting a little spoiled in some parts of the state.

Amen....!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby sportsnut5 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

It is too difficult to cheer for the team and text the friends sitting next to you at the same time.
sportsnut5
NDPreps Starter

Postby ClassBEast » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:56 pm

sportsnut5 wrote:It is too difficult to cheer for the team and text the friends sitting next to you at the same time.

Too funny! I agree - next time you're at a game, check out the student section. What is the percentage of kids watching the game, compared to percentage of kids on their phone (texting, tweeting, facebooking, whatever...). I'm also disappointed when I see students not stand for BOTH school songs. Nobody's paying attention. Ugh.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby woodchuck10 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:05 pm

CC1983 wrote:Back to the "fans" part of the post. I would rather have fans yelling and screaming, than just sit and not do anything. As being a fan of one of the best teams in the state I am, at many times, disappointment in the lack of enthusiasm from our crowd, along with other crowds. Since when is it cool to just sit and not cheer. There are some student sections that rely on adults that do not even have children playing to get cheers started. Sometimes fans forget that its not always going to be good, getting a little spoiled in some parts of the state.

Don't get me wrong, I love yelling, screaming fans at games, it does make the game more entertaining. But its during the 30 point blowouts when fans irritate me.
woodchuck10
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 am

Couple things:

1) I would really enjoy it if bigger guys would stop getting sympathetic calls when they complain that a smaller defender behind them won't let him back him down all the way to the hoop. It's like if a bigger, stronger kid is battling with a smaller kid who is behind him and the smaller kid is holding his ground, the bigger kid gets frustrated and either elbows or complains about there not being a call when his defender won't just let him back down all he wants.

2) Charges that bug me that don't get called. A kid drives in the lane and right before he gets to a frozen defender, he looks up, twists his body as he goes up, and his body runs into the right or left half of the defender. The kid is still planted all the same and he still gets run into, only because the guy didn't bulldoze him into the stage, it's not a charge.

3) Three seconds and over the back seem to be the most common misconceptions for fans. Most fans struggle with the fact that a 6-7 kid is allowed to reach over the top of anyone smaller than him. They think that's wrong, when in fact, it's not illegal and if there's no contact, there can't be a foul. That's what boxing out is for. Three seconds...kids are allowed to make a move to the basket and that doesn't count. Even if they hold it for two seconds and then make a move to the basket in the paint, it's still not 3 seconds. Some fans even stand up and yell 1...2...3...4...after the ball is shot. Amazing amount of ignorance on both of these calls.

4) On the other side of the coin, it's worth protecting the fans' rooting interest. I think most referees understand that fans can be passionate and that's part of the game, just like they are part of the game. However, it bugs me when a fan happens to know the first name of the local referee doing the game, and that fan has to continually call him by his first name while he's yelling at him the entire game. As if to say, I know who that person is every-day life and I want everyone to know that.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bborbust » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:33 am

let's face it, high school athletes and especially high school boys are getting bigger and faster and quicker and the officials in my area are well NOT. its not their fault but its almost impossible to officiate a boys high school game with just two officials anymore especially at their age and do a respectable job. Most are in their late 40s to 50s and ive seen several 60 year olds. I've seen a lot of poorly officiated games in the last two years and wonder how can it be fixed. How do you get young guys that can keep up to get involved and stay involved? It's not the most appetizing job out there I will say that as I officiated for 12 years. My biggest thing is that those kids are out on the court busting their butts for 32 minutes and they are expecting officials to do the same. Work hard for 32 minutes and the crowd loves you because you don't miss calls but if you take plays off with your whistle you are sure to have them fired up.
bborbust
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:03 am

Had a conversation yesterday with two mothers. They have kids that play in HS and elementary and at least in the HS games they complain, loudly I may say, about the officials. So they were complaining about the officials in an elementary game. So I told them they should ref sometime. One mother told me she couldn't do it because she wouldn't be able someone like herself yelling at her.

I found that rather amusing.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flip » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:10 am

Wildcat wrote:2) Charges that bug me that don't get called. A kid drives in the lane and right before he gets to a frozen defender, he looks up, twists his body as he goes up, and his body runs into the right or left half of the defender. The kid is still planted all the same and he still gets run into, only because the guy didn't bulldoze him into the stage, it's not a charge.

If the defender isn't drastically displaced I think this for the most part is a no call.

I would say HS officials call way more charges than they should. Most seem to think if a player falls on his back it should be a charge. I think most fans/coaches think this too. NCAA is better at calling the block/charge and the NBA is the best.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:28 pm

EHS1998 wrote:Not sure but I think he means that when one player makes physical contact with an opposing player while going over their back or reaching in, that is a foul.

Sorry, I feel like I have helped to hijack this thread...not my intent.

If players don't want contact in a sport, there is always Recreation Volleyball or Cross Country. Basketball is a contact sport. What I hate is when officials call it loose all year and then tighten it up during tournament time. You can take a team out of their defense with the "no calls" in regular season and they do the same thing during the tournament and now you have two or three of your best players in foul trouble!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Indians Alumni » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:13 pm

BTW: every school has those fans that for a lack of a better term, embarrass you! The loudest cherp usually gets the worm!
It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up. ~Muhammed Ali
Indians Alumni
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys