Strength of Region (toughest road to state)

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Strength of Region (toughest road to state)

Postby d_fense » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:56 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:Two ways to seed:
1. Regional records are kept and used as the bench-mark for seeding.
2. Coaches from the Region vote

#1 is an easier way and less biased way..but #2 is a viable option.

If they were to go to one tourney (sub-sections to section final)...[b]then each team would be able to add 2-3 (maybe even more) games to their regular season schedule.
[/b]

I wouldn't mind a single elimination tournament. But, I think we need to get closer to the 26 regular season games that Minnesota allows. I think 19 is just to few games.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby 3sportfan » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm

with the earlier talk of Northstar, Trinity and Beulah being a step above the rest, would you take them or the rest of the field to win the state title
3sportfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Flip » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:55 pm

3sportfan wrote:with the earlier talk of Northstar, Trinity and Beulah being a step above the rest, would you take them or the rest of the field to win the state title

NS, Trinity and Beulah. Especially if 7 and 4 are on opposite sides of the bracket. IDK if they are though.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:01 pm

Flip wrote:
3sportfan wrote:with the earlier talk of Northstar, Trinity and Beulah being a step above the rest, would you take them or the rest of the field to win the state title

NS, Trinity and Beulah. Especially if 7 and 4 are on opposite sides of the bracket. IDK if they are though.

Region 3 vs. Region 7
Region 1 vs. Region 5

Region 2 vs. Region 8
Region 4 vs. Region 6
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Mike Ditka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:35 pm

The real answer if you are talking about fair vs unfair for over 100 teams....is add a whole extra class. (Let the war begin...lol)

It has to be coming....difference between now and 3 years ago is now not just the little guys will want it...but the schools growing that may get bumped up to class A in a two class system (Watford City for example) are going to want it now also.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby NDplayin » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:25 pm

No war necessary... good luck making the case that there is anything unfair about the current two class system with a continually shrinking number of schools.

Guess who the only school receiving votes in both the girls and boys top 10 poll is. Maple Valley: Enrollment 78. That's right- the only school of the entire 109 that has both a boys and girls top 10 is a small school that would be in the bottom class of any plan.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mike Ditka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:33 pm

Shame they wont have an opportunity to win a state title having to compete against schools 5 times their size....top 10 means nothing.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Mike Ditka » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

As a matter of fact....they wont even make it out of their region. Also....if they are in the west...they wouldn't be top 10.

Proving a point....is it fair that talented kids have that disadvantage of playing schools with MUCH more to choose from? Im not saying there should or shouldnt be another class...but to say there isn't reasons both ways is absurd.

It will continue to be brought up in ND until it passes.
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby timberwolf » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:40 pm

The Schwab wrote:
timberwolf wrote:I do, however, think that the bad teams from the western side of the state are quite a bit worse than some of the bad teams from the eastern side of the state. Does anyone else feel this way? School size has a big role in this.

Just curious as to what teams from the western side you would be referring to as bad? Like are you talking specific regions?

Not neccesarily. Im talkin about burke cty, trinity chris, mandaree, wht shield, glen-ulin, beach, max, underwood, parshall, and d.c. too name the main ones. I realize there not all always terrible , but alot of the time these teams are very poor and provide no challenge for the top teams from their region. Also, many of the teams that are considered "okay" (right in the middle of the pack), are not comparable to other "okay" teams from around the state.
Just my opinion i know, and hey the eastern side has some poor teams too but not as many and not "that" bad... UFFDA anyone seen those teams play? Not good..
Run4Happiness
timberwolf
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am

To give small schools a shot lower the enrollment number to like 175, then the big of the small would understand where the small small schools are coming from
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mike Ditka » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:16 am

Good idea Schwab....never thought like that! Then I wonder how "fair" our system would be....
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby B-oldtimer » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:17 am

I agree if ND wants two class system and help balance the system enrollments for top class should be lowered significantly to like 175 to 200 enrollments being in upper class a. Even schools of this size still should be able to find enough talent to compete still only about 15 % of students to field varsity and Jv teams. Now compare this to alot of 60 to 100 enrollments where you need at least 50 % participation to field varsity and Jv teams. I also think this would cut down on coops to for the reason smaller schools would not feel need to band together to be able to compete. I am afraid that the politics of these large class b schools are to entrenched to ever change and slowly class b is loosing appeal what made it so popular in rural ND.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby gominers » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:43 am

Why not make it any school with enrollment over 100, or 50 class A? You just want to be the big dog on the block. The "big" schools are the ones that bring up and push for a three class system. The "small" schools vote it down because they want schools to go class A so they can feel what its like to lose to schools way bigger than them. If you don't like losing to big schools, develop a program. North Star has been one of the best teams in class B because they've had a good run of kids and they develop those kids.
gominers
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 am

I'm going to take the field. There is always talk about how a few teams are so much better than everyone else, but then some team gets hot at the right time and takes the championship. We'll see if I'm right in MArch.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:14 am

so if it was 3 classes.... AA,A,B...I just dont think the Jacket (or T-shirts) that read Class A champs would carry much weight in the eyes of the majority of the State.
In other words it would be less of a feat then State 9-man Football Champs.

With School shootings and goofballs out there (was on the news last night) these old, small (meaning size of community) schools are being dubbed "unsafe"......Do I agree??....somewhat yes although I have other agenda that plays into new schools and more kids in each.

make the cut off 600 from A to B and get the consolidations (not co-ops) moving forward
sorta like "build it and they will come"
woulda kid lose a starting spot...yep
woulda a teacher lose a job....yep
would someone have to drive further....yep

has it happened before??? Yep...many times
is everyone still ok and living the ND dream.....YEP!!.... :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:18 am

winner-within wrote:so if it was 3 classes.... AA,A,B...I just dont think the Jacket (or T-shirts) that read Class A champs would carry much weight in the eyes of the majority of the State.

With School shootings and goofballs out there (was on the news last night) these old, small (meaning size of community) schools are being dubbed "unsafe"......Do I agree??....somewhat yes although I have other agenda that plays into new schools and more kids in each.

make the cut off 600 from A to B and get the consolidations (not co-ops) moving forward

There's nothing bad against 9man state champs. Would you rather be a champion in a class of 38 teams or one in a class of 14 or 16?
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:34 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
winner-within wrote:so if it was 3 classes.... AA,A,B...I just dont think the Jacket (or T-shirts) that read Class A champs would carry much weight in the eyes of the majority of the State.

There's nothing bad against 9man state champs. Would you rather be a champion in a class of 38 teams or one in a class of 14 or 16?

didnt say bad....there are 70 9-man teams in MN ....thats more of a feat right??
why doesn't anyone (in class B nd) want a real challenge in life.....Playoffs for varsity and football....fierce competition right in the school your in
why do you think The Bismarck schools dominate
numbers are the answer to achieving the ultimate
heck Ive seen (what we call huge games, region finals) decided by old refs that have been doing it for 30 years.
Change (in the respect of improving Education standards and extracurricular activities) is healthy JMO
Last edited by winner-within on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:35 am

I'm sorry winner, but that is without a doubt one of the worst things I've seen posted on here.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:41 am

The Schwab wrote:

I'm sorry winner, but that is without a doubt one of the worst things I've seen posted on here.

I'm sorry Schwab
but you have used that line before with my post
I'm being genuine....your using tunnel vision
My mom lost her job when our school closed...tell her that
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby balla45 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:00 pm

I'd personally be in favor of three classes. I don't know specifically who I'd put in the middle and bottom class, but I think Class A would benefit with moving Turtle Mountain, Devil's Lake, and Valley City team, while also not creating a huge advantage where any of these teams would dominate in the middle class, especially as Bismarck and West Fargo are both adding schools.

Just some off the top of my head that I think would be competitive in the faux middle class are Beulah, Devil's Lake, Dickinson Trinity, Shiloh Christian, Turtle Mountain, and Valley City.

I'm thinking if we called them A, B, and C, we could break teams down as something like
A - 18 Teams
B - 16-20 Teams
C - All Other Teams

Class A fans would enjoy this as they would only be losing teams who are "usually" not competitive, bringing the overall quality of play up.
Class B fans would enjoy this as the majority of teams in the middle class would be programs who have had a lot of success at the current Class B level, mixed with teams who have not had a lot of success at the current Class A level, so it'd be a fairly level playing field in that regard, but would remove some perennial tournament teams from the bottom class.

I think we'd have three very competitive leagues that would be more enjoyable for the coaches, fans, and players.
~I have no patience for anyone who doubts me, none at all. My entire goal is to make them feel ashamed for writing me off.

Jordan Maurer
North Dakota Phenom - President
jordan.maurer@northdakotaphenom.com

~Be phenomenal or be forgotten.

~It does not take talent to hustle!
balla45
NDPreps Legend

Postby The Schwab » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:31 pm

winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I'm sorry Schwab

Using tunnel vision? Are you kidding me. I'm sorry your mom lost her job beacause the school closed, I get that it. But you want all schools in north dakota to have 600 students right? So you want some kids to drive up to 100 miles one way for school right? What is wrong with schools having 10-20 kids in a class? Absolutely nothing, that's what! Do you realize how much our small schools do for kids and their education? With the new educational goals (every student goes to a 4 year college) how many of the middle students would get lost in the shuffle, but that's right, lets just send all of our kids to a big school.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mike Ditka » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:25 pm

Winner,

Completely have to agree with Schwab....I would also say that if there were more classes, some co-ops would go away, for example, Heart River would be right back to South Heart, and Belfield, a really fun rival. They are combined strictly to compete with the big schools, Beulah, Hazen, and of course privates, Trinity. I struggle seeing how being fair in basketball means a school is going to close down??? Did I miss something? I didn't think the world revolved around basketball for anyone but Run4fun. Lol (JK!)
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby winner-within » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:30 pm

The Schwab wrote:
winner-within wrote:
The Schwab wrote:

I'm sorry Schwab

Using tunnel vision? Are you kidding me. I'm sorry your mom lost her job beacause the school closed, I get that it. But you want all schools in north dakota to have 600 students right? So you want some kids to drive up to 100 miles one way for school right? What is wrong with schools having 10-20 kids in a class? Absolutely nothing, that's what! Do you realize how much our small schools do for kids and their education? With the new educational goals (every student goes to a 4 year college) how many of the middle students would get lost in the shuffle, but that's right, lets just send all of our kids to a big school.

I'm trying to figure out when I said this....I did say make the cut off between the 2 classes @ 600...class A class B.......I like your plan Balla .....only one problem a day late and a dollar short....for a guy that runs a summer program you should know we have to weed out the players who dont even like the sport and are doing nothing to improve vs the players that wanna play for a quality program and have comp on the floor every night (meaning practice also)....even in the days of 3 classes it wasn't about fairness....it was reality...and reality being "way more KIDS" dispersed evenly in a township let alone a county
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Indy5 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:10 am

ndlionsfan wrote:There's nothing bad against 9man state champs. Would you rather be a champion in a class of 38 teams or one in a class of 14 or 16?

I'd rather win a state title in a class that plays real football, not this backyard nonsense. They might as well play by arena rules.
Indy5
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:05 am

How is 9man any less of football? That's a pretty arrogant statement. Football is football doesn't matter how any are on the field. The kids and coaches at that level deserve more respect than that.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Boys