Thoughts on State B Basketball held at Alerus Center

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Thoughts on State B Basketball held at Alerus Center

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Only 5500 for championship night? Ouch! I bet that will get the NDHSAA thinking about holding it in GF again.

Unfortunately, schedule for other venues counts more than fans opinions so the NDHSAA rarely cares what the average fan thinks. (Otherwise they would get the tournaments on a TV network that is HD - common NBC in ND, this is the new century!!!!)
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Sportsrube » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 pm

And yes, I know the networks bid on the tournaments, but broadcasting in HD should be a prerequisite to making a bid.
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Wildcat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:33 pm

jergynet wrote:
baller030 wrote:1) Bismarck and Minot - Bismarck is the better city but you just cant beat the game atmosphere at the MSU dome

2) GF or Fargo - dont really care for them it doesnt make much sense to have the B as far away from the center of ND on the Minnesota ND line

Couldn't disagree more on the atmosphere... the Minot dome doesn't even come close to the atmosphere that the Bismarck Civic Center provides...

Not even close? I like it in Bismarck over Minot, but you could argue the venue for Minot is better than Bismarck because the Dome is tighter. You're closer to the court at the MSU Dome than you are the Civic Center, and it's a tighter fit so its louder, IMO.

The problem I have with Minot is that the floor is TOO tight. You can't walk on the ends or move around much on the floor, but for atmosphere and as far as fans being right on top of the court, I'm not sure it gets any better.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby ndlionsfan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Sportsrube wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Only 5500 for championship night? Ouch! I bet that will get the NDHSAA thinking about holding it in GF again.

Unfortunately, schedule for other venues counts more than fans opinions so the NDHSAA rarely cares what the average fan thinks. (Otherwise they would get the tournaments on a TV network that is HD - common NBC in ND, this is the new century!!!!)

The NDHSAA might not care what the common fan thinks, but when they look at the bottom line of this tourney (if the attendance was indeed that bad) the profit margin will speak loudly.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby DCFan » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:18 pm

I think Minot or Bismarck are the best for the State B. But I think GF can fix most of their problems. Does anybody know what capacity was for the Alerus Center. It was pretty full Sat. night. Open seats yes but I didn't think there were big sections empty. 5500 seems kind of low for how full it was. Divide County would have had more fans there but had 3 teams in State Hockey Tournaments. We had fans moving between Fargo, Langdon, Grand Forks and 1 other town all weekend till the times didn't work out. This is the reality of sports nowadays. More options. 30 years ago is was just Boys BB and Boys wrestling this time of year. I will say it now and let the PC people slam me but I think it would be better to have the seasons the way they used to be. Girls BB in the fall. Boys BB in the winter. The Refs get a break and have 2 seasons instead of 1. Back in the good old days they would ref football Friday night and GBB Sat. night. I think these refs are just so burned out on BB as they have to ref it every night with Girls and Boys seasons at the same time. JMO
DCFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby puck71 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:47 pm

I thought the Alerus was a great overall venue for the State B. I understand some of the complaints, but many of them can be fixed.

But I'm talking about more than just the actual basketball court and seats. Having a big connected complex like the Alerus with a hotel, water park, five restaurants (that I counted), a couple bars, and an arcade was really great.

I think when you judge a venue you have to judge more than just the game experience itself. Of course that's important, and I hope they improve on that the next time they host it. But there's only so much they can do with portable bleachers and such. You also have to take into account the other things the venue has to offer, for what to do between games, or during games you may not care about watching.

The Alerus was excellent in those regards, and I couldn't help but thinking that the Alerus is the venue the Fargodome wishes it was (and I'm from Fargo!).

Sportsrube wrote:And yes, I know the networks bid on the tournaments, but broadcasting in HD should be a prerequisite to making a bid.
I don't think any North Dakota affiliates have a truck that will allow them to broadcast live events in HD. Heck, Fargo just got their first network (WDAY) broadcasting local news in HD about a month ago, and that's from a studio! If KVLY isn't even doing their studio newscast in HD, no way they'll be doing sporting events in HD anytime soon.
puck71
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Wildcat » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:48 pm

I think the biggest thing that peeves me about having it at the Alerus Center is that it's not a basketball facility, which many have stated.

Let me ask you guys this? Do we squeeze in the Dakota Bowl at the Bismarck Community Bowl, or Herb Parker Stadium? Do we try to host the state hockey tournaments at the VFW sports center in Bismarck or at Maysa Arena in Minot? No, because those towns just do NOT have the facilities to pull it off correctly.

I think it's time Fargo and Grand Forks come to that realization. If you want to host either State B tournaments, build a facility for it. Otherwise, you shouldn't be able to host it. It's not as if you don't get to host enough already ...
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby irisheel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:51 pm

Wildcat wrote:I think the biggest thing that peeves me about having it at the Alerus Center is that it's not a basketball facility, which many have stated.

Let me ask you guys this? Do we squeeze in the Dakota Bowl at the Bismarck Community Bowl, or Herb Parker Stadium? Do we try to host the state hockey tournaments at the VFW sports center in Bismarck or at Maysa Arena in Minot? No, because those towns just do NOT have the facilities to pull it off correctly.

I think it's time Fargo and Grand Forks come to that realization. If you want to host either State B tournaments, build a facility for it. Otherwise, you shouldn't be able to host it. It's not as if you don't get to host enough already ...

Fargo and GF split the Dakota Bowl, Fargo typically hosts State Wrestling, but what else for GF??

From what I hear, Minot hotels are full most of the time with oil workers. How are they going to host next years Class B Boys??

I think GF did a good job of hosting the B this year. Not sure if they've ever hosted that event, but if things weren't up to fans' expectations, I'm sure they can and will make adjustments to make it work well.
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:53 pm

irisheel wrote:
Wildcat wrote:I think the biggest thing that peeves me about having it at the Alerus Center is that it's not a basketball facility, which many have stated.

Fargo and GF split the Dakota Bowl, Fargo typically hosts State Wrestling, but what else for GF??

Grand Forks does a good job of hosting State Hockey
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby irisheel » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:58 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
irisheel wrote:

Ahh yes! Good Call Run. Have you heard anything regarding possibly moving the B to another city next year? I've just heard a some people talking it would be tough to hold in Minot because of hotels being full with oil workers.
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:12 am

irisheel wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:
irisheel wrote:

Ahh yes! Good Call Run. Have you heard anything regarding possibly moving the B to another city next year? I've just heard a some people talking it would be tough to hold in Minot because of hotels being full with oil workers.

As of now...it sounds like its Minot...otherwise it would have to come east Grand Forks. WDA Tourney on same weekend takes up Bismarck and EDC tourney takes up Bison Sports Arena...FargoDome could be open...but no one seems to like the FargoDome.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby bball15 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:17 am

At the rate new hotels are going up in Minot right now I think there won't be much of a problem by the state B next year.
bball15
NDPreps Starter

Postby irisheel » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:25 am

bball15 wrote:At the rate new hotels are going up in Minot right now I think there won't be much of a problem by the state B next year.

True.
irisheel
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:07 am

I am not as concerned as to the City, as I am to the Venue......Get it in a setting where the fans are swarming, the refs will/and can take some Heat from the crowd.....and the players might have to jump over the media or commentator benches to save a ball....In other words....lets make it a true old fashion BBall outing!!!!!!
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mandan » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm

puck71 wrote:
Sportsrube wrote:And yes, I know the networks bid on the tournaments, but broadcasting in HD should be a prerequisite to making a bid.
I don't think any North Dakota affiliates have a truck that will allow them to broadcast live events in HD. Heck, Fargo just got their first network (WDAY) broadcasting local news in HD about a month ago, and that's from a studio! If KVLY isn't even doing their studio newscast in HD, no way they'll be doing sporting events in HD anytime soon.

KXMB (CBS) broadcasted the Bismarck Bobcats hockey game against the Russians in HD, so they should be capable. The bad thing is the whole KVLY running KXJB situation, because the most natural thing would be the CBS stations bidding together on the tournaments. The Reitans (western ND CBS) wouldn't get a bid without a Fargo/Grand Forks station included.
Mandan
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:02 am

Was told by someone that South Dakota does not alternate sites. Each city has a designated sport and it stays there. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. They know what to expect each year, what to improve upon, etc. With that in mind:
1. Minot - Class B boys every year. Class A volleyball??
2. Bismarck - Class B girls basketball and volleyball every year.
3. Fargo - Class A boys and girls basketball every year.
4. Grand Forks - Boys Hockey every year.
5. Fargo (Dome) & Grand Forks (Alerus) - Alternate Football every year.
6. Not sure about track. Could Dickinson hold this?
7. Not sure about wrestling.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby toughD » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:58 am

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Was told by someone that South Dakota does not alternate sites. Each city has a designated sport and it stays there. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. They know what to expect each year, what to improve upon, etc. With that in mind:

I actually think this sounds like a good idea. If ND went this way, I think Grand Forks & Fargo are the obvious choices for hockey(GF) & football because they have facilities unlike any other city in the state. The rest of the sports I don't think it matters where you have them because each city would get zeroed in on their event, and eventually do an excellent job year in/year out.
toughD
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ClassBEast » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:47 pm

Bison-Vikes #1 wrote:Was told by someone that South Dakota does not alternate sites. Each city has a designated sport and it stays there. If you think about it, it makes a lot of sense. They know what to expect each year, what to improve upon, etc. With that in mind:

Bismarck is the best place for track, year in year out. I don't see that ever moving.

Are you saying to split up the Class A and B VB tournies? Right now they are together.
ClassBEast
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:05 pm

ClassBEast wrote:
1. Minot - Class B boys and A & B Volleyball every year.
2. Bismarck - Class B girls basketball and Track every year.
6. Not sure about wrestling.

Bismarck is the best place for track, year in year out. I don't see that ever moving.

Are you saying to split up the Class A and B VB tournies? Right now they are together.

Whoops, didn't realize that and no, would not suggest that. Changed above.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:32 pm

First hand, I can tell you this isn't exactly true for each tournament. Football does not alternate because they have one indoor facility (the dome at USD).

The rest alternate, and the reason they do is because of the classes. Because of their 3-class system, they're able to hold state basketball tournaments at places the size of the Civic Center in Jamestown, or even Class A high schools like Bismarck High or Fargo South. The biggest tournaments are obviously played in the biggest venues, but the smaller classes are able to be held in smaller venues like Huron for volleyball and such.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Wildcat » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:52 pm

Wildcat wrote:

First hand, I can tell you this isn't exactly true for each tournament. Football does not alternate because they have one indoor facility (the dome at USD).

The rest alternate, and the reason they do is because of the classes. Because of their 3-class system, they're able to hold state basketball tournaments at places the size of the Civic Center in Jamestown, or even Class A high schools like Bismarck High or Fargo South. The biggest tournaments are obviously played in the biggest venues, but the smaller classes are able to be held in smaller venues like Huron for volleyball and such.

Aberdeen, Sioux Falls and Rapid City are the set three hosts for each basketball tournament, so I stand corrected, but all three basketball tournaments rotate so hosting them each year is different. It's much the same as Class B state boys rotating from Grand Forks and Minot the next five years, only they rotate all three classes on a yearly basis, so it's kinda similar. Our basketball tournaments are held at either GF, Fargo, Bismarck and Minot, so we have four instead of 3, so it's kinda the same.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:19 pm

bball15 wrote:At the rate new hotels are going up in Minot right now I think there won't be much of a problem by the state B next year.

I talked to the tournament director during state this year and he said that Minot will have something like 15 or more new motels by the time the B is hosted next year. Most people that attend, seem to attend every year, just need to make sure that you call ahead, and if your team makes it they are given a block of rooms to ensure that parents and fans have a place to stay.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:25 pm

ClassBEast wrote:Central Cass (Region 1) got 125 tickets... same as everyone else as far as I know. The map is a little screwy, I think we only got 5 rows with 25 seats in each. I know it looks like more, but I don't think it is. There will be plenty of Central Cass fans throughout the Alerus Center - 125 doesn't cut it and lots of people reserved seats on their own.

Back in 2005 and 2006 our school went to the state tournament we received 125 but the school was given the option to purchase more to sell if there was a demand for them. We didn't understand that option the first year but heard from other schools that had been there before that you can purchase more and sell them. Not sure if its the same still but an option for the future.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:34 pm

thefuzz wrote:Hey let's be honest....worst place ever for any BB game.. They don't even let the students participate,pushing them back off the floor..not to mention You feel like your miles away from the action. Concession are not accessible easily,all the bathrooms are on the other end of the building not to mention the strip search on the way into the alersus. No wonder the place is running into a financial whole. Grand forks could learn some lessons from Minot or Bismarck on how to host a class b tournament. The NDHSAA should know better to have the B in a town that could care less about BB in general. SHAME on them...

I agree completely, I was fortunate to have pretty descent seats in the front row behind the media, still felt like miles away from the action. Bathrooms were easy for me to get to, which was nice with having a 3 month old baby with but walking up all of the steps just to get to the over priced concessions was not fun. I was just walking around the facility and found that people that had seats on the same side of the benches had to walk in front of the student sections cause the other side was ropped off. I also tried to bring in boiled water I had stocked up on for the weekend to be used to make bottles and was not allowed to bring it in during the "strip search." Fans spend a lot of money in that city on motels, food, and fun I think that they can spare the 3.50 for a bottle of water!!
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:40 pm

Sportsrube wrote:I am going to agree with the majority of the posters - the Alerus is not a good place for a State BB tournament. (Though I did like the free parking!) If they are going to host in the future they need to move the seats closer to the floor, get an overhead clock and have bathrooms/concessions more available. (Not just on one side.) I don't know if you can do anything about the atmosphere in a building that large - sound just seems to get swallowed up, but they could fix the PA system and make it easier to hear the announcer.
I think it says alot about GF as a BB town when they get 5,500 for the Championship night (according to the GF Herald) and over 10,000 for the UND hockey game. The B needs to be in Minot or Bismarck every year and the NDHSAA needs to make it happen. (They also need to stop letting Sylling speak at the end of tournaments - you would think he would be better at it with all of the tournaments he has been around for, but that is another topic!)

It took me a few games to get used to looking to the corners where the scoreboards were located. I did like the free parking as well. Nice comment at the end, he did kind of struggle through the awards.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

PreviousNext

Return to Boys