Thoughts on State B Basketball held at Alerus Center

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Thoughts on State B Basketball held at Alerus Center

Postby Kwoods » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:42 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Only 5500 for championship night? Ouch! I bet that will get the NDHSAA thinking about holding it in GF again.

Think the attendance has a lot to do with correlating schools spring breaks with the tournament, and not having the parade of champions. Most schools have kept there same spring break so the faculty which includes coaches, and students that are players are not able to attend. They need to go back to having boys the last tournament to increase attendance and have the option of holding tournament in Bismarck since there will be zero conflict with the super A.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:36 pm

Most schools now take off the Friday before each of the state B tournaments, so spring break didn't contribute to having a low attendance total.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:38 am

ndlionsfan wrote:Most schools now take off the Friday before each of the state B tournaments, so spring break didn't contribute to having a low attendance total.

I work in a school system and I can name about 15 schools in our area that don't get the Fridays off, even with the Friday off its still a waste if you have to travel a long distance to just get to go Friday and Saturday.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:52 am

What is the reason for the low attendance than since the seasons got switched around with boys being first??
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Kwoods wrote:
bball15 wrote:At the rate new hotels are going up in Minot right now I think there won't be much of a problem by the state B next year.

I talked to the tournament director during state this year and he said that Minot will have something like 15 or more new motels by the time the B is hosted next year. Most people that attend, seem to attend every year, just need to make sure that you call ahead, and if your team makes it they are given a block of rooms to ensure that parents and fans have a place to stay.

And in my opinion those 15 motels will fill with oil workers as soon as they open. So there will be no more open motel space next year than there is now.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Hinsa wrote:
Kwoods wrote:
bball15 wrote:At the rate new hotels are going up in Minot right now I think there won't be much of a problem by the state B next year.

I had some family that decided last minute to come to the tournament, they got rooms two weeks before the tournament. Hopefully the oil companies will start renting out the new apartments that are going up in town. Minot hosted the Hostfest (spell) and had enough motel rooms. Just have to hope for the best I guess. I'm looking forward to it being in Minot and hoping it works like it worked last year. We wouldn't be having these problems if the boys season would get moved back to being the last tournament so it could be in Bismarck.

I talked to the tournament director during state this year and he said that Minot will have something like 15 or more new motels by the time the B is hosted next year. Most people that attend, seem to attend every year, just need to make sure that you call ahead, and if your team makes it they are given a block of rooms to ensure that parents and fans have a place to stay.

And in my opinion those 15 motels will fill with oil workers as soon as they open. So there will be no more open motel space next year than there is now.
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby bball15 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:05 pm

Hinsa wrote:
Kwoods wrote:

You might have to plan on reserving a little bit ahead of time, but with 15 new hotels people should be able to get rooms. You have to take into consideration how many new housing developments are going up in town this summer. All the new houses should help the housing crunch quite a bit.
bball15
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hinsa » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:08 pm

bball15 wrote:
Hinsa wrote:
Kwoods wrote:

You might have to plan on reserving a little bit ahead of time, but with 15 new hotels people should be able to get rooms. You have to take into consideration how many new housing developments are going up in town this summer. All the new houses should help the housing crunch quite a bit.

First of all, please understand I have no problem with Minot hosting tournaments when the housing situation settles down.

However, my family members in Minot tell me that the housing that is going up will barely keep up with all the people that were displaced from the flood, leaving precious little extra housing for oil folks. I do hope Minot can get enough housing built to be able to host next year's tournament, but I am just a bit skeptical.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby Kwoods » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:38 pm

Just checked the Minot visitor bureau site and a lot of rooms still with availability for this weekend tournament!!
Kwoods
NDPreps Starter

Postby d_fense » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm

Kwoods wrote:Just checked the Minot visitor bureau site and a lot of rooms still with availability for this weekend tournament!!

That may not say much for attendance.
d_fense
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:56 pm

More hotels have been built since two years ago...but also this year there are really more smaller schools at State than Larger schools...which could mean some smaller fan bases too. Just a thought though.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby rafspit » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:04 pm

Since last year there have been 15 new motels built in Minot. Numerous restaurants and many new businesses in the shopping district. These motels are all 100+ room facilities so, if you are not doing anything this weekend come on over and see North Dakotas "8 Regional Champions" find out "on the court" who is the best and the ND State B Champion for 2013
rafspit
NDPreps Reserve

Postby justplayalready » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:15 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:More hotels have been built since two years ago...but also this year there are really more smaller schools at State than Larger schools...which could mean some smaller fan bases too. Just a thought though.

also the largest school is within daily driving distance....
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:10 am

justplayalready wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:More hotels have been built since two years ago...but also this year there are really more smaller schools at State than Larger schools...which could mean some smaller fan bases too. Just a thought though.

Same with FW-M. They have announced it on the radio that they are bringing 3 fan buses each day of the tournament.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:58 am

ndlionsfan wrote:
justplayalready wrote:

Same with FW-M. They have announced it on the radio that they are bringing 3 fan buses each day of the tournament.

Most everyone I have talked to is driving back and forth...The team is treating it like any road game in Minot. School as normal, team will leave early afternoon today....I feel a bit odd taking the day off running around town in my team gear & planning on making the afternoon session...
Wife described it as a "Class A vibe" this week...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby scruffy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:00 am

I think some fans are intimidated by what is said about the "oil boom" crowd and it's keeping them away. There are rooms available! I'm more concerned about the snow and cold that dominates the Northern and Eastern parts of the state in March....
No whiners allowed! The journey is the reward!
scruffy
NDPreps All-State

Postby justplayalready » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:07 am

I'm intimidated by the prospect of walking up the "hill" after the sessions...
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby Sportsrube » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:12 am

justplayalready wrote:I'm intimidated by the prospect of walking up the "hill" after the sessions...

:lol: I agree, the Dome has horrible parking, but at least its free!
Sportsrube
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Previous

Return to Boys