Region Scores

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region Scores

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Not to mention the .3 seconds seemed like somewhat of a gift. Buzzer went off just as the ball went through.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:15 pm

wolves65 wrote:Listen to the webcast by ndhssports of the CC/MV game and Rick Roberts went a bit over-board. He called out the officials on the air and has no clue. He and his partner didn't even call the last shot by Bresnahan the only way you knew it went is was the crowd noise. Great job guys-good thing there are other options
With .3 on the clock isn't the only thing you can do is tip the ball?

.3 on the clock means there is still time to get a shot up...but it has to be real quick.

Also...Roberts is an avid Maple Valley fan...does not surprise me with what you said. 740 AM is the best option to listen to for Region 1 games (if they are there) otherwise Cunningham through NewsDakota.com is a good second option.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:18 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:Not to mention the .3 seconds seemed like somewhat of a gift. Buzzer went off just as the ball went through.

Bresnahan's shot was through the hoop at about 1 second on the clock (that's how quick he was ;) ).

I figured there should have been between .2 and .5 on the clock just from knowing MV had a time out left and knowing the situation. I thought the reffing crew did a good job on granting the time out...alot of crews would have just left the court.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby wolves65 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:25 pm

Run, what was your view of the no-call on the in-bounds play
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm

wolves65 wrote:Run, what was your view of the no-call on the in-bounds play

It was hard for me to see cause I had people standing in front of me and MV's student section blocking some of the play. However, a friend next to me (knowledgable in basketball) saw it and was shocked that nothing was called.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:15 pm

If the refs didn't call it , it must not have looked like a foul to them. The refs had the best seat in the house. I was sitting just to the south of the CC section and I thought it appeared to be pretty good acting. There were many plays through out the game that could have had an impact on the out come, not just this one play.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby StraightShooter » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:05 pm

The no-call at the end of the MV/CC game was a good no-call. Hasleau was already falling over before Ueland hit him. It's a moot point because, as other posters have mentioned, free throws would not have been shot. And the 0.3 seconds was an absolute gift to begin with.

I'm curious as to why some posters think Roesler got outcoached last night. Was it because he told his players to make only 2 FTs in the second half and shoot less than 40% from the line? Was it because he told his guards to miss 3 consecutive layups late in the game? Or was it because he had players in foul trouble the entire game? The last play he drew up seemed to work.
StraightShooter
NDPreps Reserve

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:14 pm

I think MV coaching was a little more on last night. They seemed more prepared to play. I saw 3 different defenses they tried through out. CC had a couple players with off nights, that happens. But, when a player is having a tough night, I feel there could be a little more subbing for that particular player. I also feel against the zone that on occasion CC should bring Zimmerman through the lane and get him the ball on the high post. It felt like no attack on the middle of the zone. Another thing I noticed was after half time the CC players came out of the locker room with no energy. Some of this could be attributed to coaching and some to an off night for the players. Both coaches are probably equal coaches, but they are human just like the players.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby Hardball » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
wolves65 wrote:Listen to the webcast by ndhssports of the CC/MV game and Rick Roberts went a bit over-board. He called out the officials on the air and has no clue. He and his partner didn't even call the last shot by Bresnahan the only way you knew it went is was the crowd noise. Great job guys-good thing there are other options
With .3 on the clock isn't the only thing you can do is tip the ball?

.3 on the clock means there is still time to get a shot up...but it has to be real quick.

Also...Roberts is an avid Maple Valley fan...does not surprise me with what you said. 740 AM is the best option to listen to for Region 1 games (if they are there) otherwise Cunningham through NewsDakota.com is a good second option.

103.9 FM out of Casselton also does a nice job with their radio coverage.
Hardball
NDPreps Starter

Postby MTfan4life » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 am

NoIinTeam wrote:If the refs didn't call it , it must not have looked like a foul to them. The refs had the best seat in the house. I was sitting just to the south of the CC section and I thought it appeared to be pretty good acting. There were many plays through out the game that could have had an impact on the out come, not just this one play.

Most charges are acting. The simple idea is that one player ran into another player. There's no way Ueland knew Haselau was there. It was a brilliant idea to try and I was surprised they didn't call anything. I was sitting right in line with the baseline about the third row up, so I had a pretty good view. There was definite contact. Also, the ball was not in play in the Kindred/OG game with the dead ball foul and subsequent free throws.
With the time on the clock, I looked up at the scoreboard after Bresnahan's layup and I saw just over one second. I then looked at Kocka and I think he thought it was over because he was only displaying a subtle timeout signal. With .3 seconds on the clock a player cannot catch and shoot. I think the rule is either .5 or .4. Richman could have swatted at the ball as if he was tipping it towards the hoop. Once he caught it though, the game was over.

I was impressed by Kocka's ability to not let his team be disappointed with the non-call at the end. He had his hands up for a second, but then he controlled his emotions and clapped for his team. I was very impressed with his ability to keep his calm at the end of such an emotional game.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 am

Just because there was contact does not mean there was a foul. Screens are set many times during a game. There usually is contact when a screen is set. Does a player get called for a foul for bumping into a screening player every time during a game? The MV player did a good job of setting a screen and trying to sell the foul by taking a good flop on little contact. It's a judgement call by the ref as to whether they feel there was a foul on that particular play. I agree with the refs judgement on that play.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:28 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:

It was hard for me to see cause I had people standing in front of me and MV's student section blocking some of the play. However, a friend next to me (knowledgable in basketball) saw it and was shocked that nothing was called.

Agreed Run, I agree. Refs don't want to affect the outcome of the game but I feel that a noncall there has just as much affect on changing the outcome as a call does. Either way the ref is scrutinized. If it is a foul, it needs to be called...just because there is 0.3 on the clock, don't swallow the whistle.

As far as the 0.3. I thought you could catch and shoot with that? With 0.8 you can take one dribble...does anyone know for sure?
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:06 am

It was a 50/50 call for a foul In my opinion. We could second guess other calls that went against CC that resulted in points for MV earlier in the game. It works both ways. Kids from both teams made some great plays near the end of the game to put their teams ahead. Lets not take away from a great game by second guessing a very judgemental call. Great game to watch. Congrats to both teams. Time to move on.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:35 am

I don't think one person in the crowd was not thinking. why don't they go to a man to man In the OG and Kin. Game. Even the OG fans where in disbelief. Well that is the way it goes. If OG missed all the 3's then the coach would have been smart but now... well.............

MV and CC......... Everybody knows who was going to get the ball and race down the court and shoot it... Everybody except MV I guess.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby The Schwab » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:53 am

MNTwinsFan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Agreed Run, I agree. Refs don't want to affect the outcome of the game but I feel that a noncall there has just as much affect on changing the outcome as a call does. Either way the ref is scrutinized. If it is a foul, it needs to be called...just because there is 0.3 on the clock, don't swallow the whistle.

As far as the 0.3. I thought you could catch and shoot with that? With 0.8 you can take one dribble...does anyone know for sure?

I'm pretty sure that with .3 or less it has to be a tip play. It could be just less then .3, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:01 am

MNTwinsFan wrote:
Run4Fun2009 wrote:

Not possible.....either scenerio
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoops247 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:32 am

The game clock must indicate 0:00.3 (three tenths of a second) or more for a player to gain control of the ball on a throw-in or on a rebound to attempt a shot. If the game clock indicates 0:00.2 or 0:00.1 the only type of a valid field goal made is by tapping the ball.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby meatball77 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:38 am

You cant gather the ball with .03 seconds left and shoot..it has to be a tip play... .09 is only enough to catch and shoot....so in this i agree with Schwab and Winner
meatball77
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoops247 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 am

Definitions within Rules 4-12-1, 4-12-2 and 4-12-6 were changed (starting this year - 2011-12 season) to reflect that team control will now exist during a throw-in once the thrower-in has the ball at his or her disposal. The new rule will NO longer grant free throws to the DEFENDING team in the bonus if the throw-in team commits a foul. No FT's shot on a foul by the offensive team (TEAM CONTROL).

Now in the other situation mentioned - (Kindred vs. Oak Grove game) - It was stated that the ball was being inbounded on the sideline by Oak Grove and a guard for Kindred fouled an OG player trying to get free - foul on the DEFENSE. They immediately marched to the FT line to shoot the bonus FT's - correct.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Thanks for the definition of the rule. At this point it doesn't matter because there was no foul called. Interesting to discuss, but judgement by the refs was no foul was committed. I don't feel the refs "swallowed their whistles" like someone suggested. If MV stops Bresnahan's drive to the bucket the game is over. MV wins. The refs didn't lose it for them.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby hoops247 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Meatball, I think you mean .3 seconds and .9 seconds not .03 and .09. Also, this isn't judgement, this is what has been proven.

It started with the NBA with what is referred to as the Trent Tucker Rule and a game in 1990 when Trent Tucker caught and shot the ball with .01 seconds left in the game and the officials counted the goal.

They have since determined that .3 seconds is the least amount of time that can be on the clock and a player can catch and shoot the ball. Now keep in mind that a LOT of players can not catch and shoot that quickly. It is simply a guideline. If there is .1 or .2 the ball MUST be tipped or tapped. If it is caught and then shot, it doesn't matter when the horn went off the basket will be waved off.
hoops247
NDPreps Starter

Postby Basketballfan » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:48 pm

Bomber buzzer beater from 3/4 court. Adam birdsall #4 inbounds to Dan Yale#5 with 2.8 seconds left in the 3rd against rugby. Not a game winner but still kind of neat. Bek sports was there to catch it on video. At the end they show Adam Birdsall. I Know this isnt the thread for this but didnt want to start a new one just for a 20 second video..
http://youtu.be/xtDQaGCagPM?t=01s
Last edited by Basketballfan on Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Basketballfan
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Mighty-Mouse » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:59 pm

Basketballfan wrote:Bomber buzzer beater from 3/4 court. Adam birdsall #4 inbounds to Dan Yale#5 with 2.8 seconds left in the 3rd against rugby. Not a game winner but still kind of neat. Bek sports was there to catch it on video. At the end they show Adam Birdsall. I Know this isnt the thread for this but didnt want to start a new one just for a 20 second video..
http://youtu.be/xtDQaGCagPM?t=21s

The Aud went crazy with that shot, I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. WOW!!
"Here I am to save the day!"
Mighty-Mouse
NDPreps All-State

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:01 pm

Basketballfan wrote:Bomber buzzer beater from 3/4 court. Adam birdsall #4 inbounds to Dan Yale#5 with 2.8 seconds left in the 3rd against rugby. Not a game winner but still kind of neat. Bek sports was there to catch it on video. At the end they show Adam Birdsall. I Know this isnt the thread for this but didnt want to start a new one just for a 20 second video..
http://youtu.be/xtDQaGCagPM?t=01s

Perfect spot for this...Nice Shot!
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:11 pm

3rd Place Games:

Maple Valley 41
Kindred 18
Half

** Note: Senior Ty Smith (Maple Valley) is 9 points away from 1,000 at halftime (23 points in 1st Half)

Four Winds-Minnewauken 42
Warwick 33
Halft
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

PreviousNext

Return to Boys