Region Scores

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region Scores

Postby MTfan4life » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 am

There are other zones possible to use. Put a 1-3-1 on. Plankers simply would have had to occupy the the paint and the zone allows for perimeter defense. Also, I'd rather have Plankers playing lax defense on OG's five man and the other four defending tightly, over playing 2-3 and allowing so many wide-open outside shots. All I know is I've seen Kindred play multiple times over the last couple years, and I still have yet to walk away thinking "the game plan/coaching tonight was pretty good."
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:14 am

MTfan4life wrote:There are other zones possible to use. Put a 1-3-1 on. Plankers simply would have had to occupy the the paint and the zone allows for perimeter defense. Also, I'd rather have Plankers playing lax defense on OG's five man and the other four defending tightly, over playing 2-3 and allowing so many wide-open outside shots. All I know is I've seen Kindred play multiple times over the last couple years, and I still have yet to walk away thinking "the game plan/coaching tonight was pretty good."

True...I think they did go to a 1-2-2 zone occasionally during the game...but that didn't stop OG from hitting open shots. Carter Kretchman's dribble up 3 midway through the 1st quarter was the 3 that started it all for Oak Grove (gutsy shot for a freshman :!: :) )

All-in-All...what a great night of basketball at the Civic Center.
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby MTfan4life » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:42 am

Run4Fun2009 wrote:
True...I think they did go to a 1-2-2 zone occasionally during the game...but that didn't stop OG from hitting open shots. Carter Kretchman's dribble up 3 midway through the 1st quarter was the 3 that started it all for Oak Grove (gutsy shot for a freshman :!: :) )

All-in-All...what a great night of basketball at the Civic Center.

Yeah, I was telling my cousin they needed to switch to a 3-2, but instead they chose the 1-2-2. The difference being the wings play wider in a 3-2. Oak Grove played well though. I don't think they have the tools to keep CC under wraps, but we'll see. It was indeed a great night.

I had been predicting that Maple Valley would be the team to take CC to the edge, and I'm glad they actually made a game out of it. I usually am pretty neutral at these games considering I have no ties, but I must admit I cheered a little when MV took the lead with 6 seconds to play. If anyone saw the last play after Bresnahan's layup, I'd sure like to hear what they thought. Sure it's a cheap play, but a foul's a foul. Ho hum.

Also, I know region 8 is pretty irrelevant to the state tournament this season, but still, what Ray is doing needs to be somewhat noticed. They entered Districts as a 6 seed with one of their losses against one of the worst teams in ND. They pulled a couple upsets off and qualified for regionals as the 4 seed. They upset the defending champs from New Town in the first round and faced Trenton last night. Just one week ago, Trenton dispatched Ray by over 25. The game was a blowout by halftime. However, Ray came to play this time around and won 44-41. A team that finished the regular season 7-12, is one game from making State.
MTfan4life
NDPreps Starter

Postby NDplayin » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:55 am

Does anyone know what's going on up there in Region 8 with Ray? These situations happen sometimes and often it is due to the return of previously injured or inelligible player(s). Is that the case, or is Ray simply making a tremendous run? Either way, it is still quite the accomplishment.
NDplayin
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby thewanderer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:32 am

EHS1998 wrote:Final
Linton Hazelton Moffit Braddock 65
Lamoure 48

biggest upset of the Regions so far. EHS1998, i assume you were at the game. How did it play out. who were the key players, factors, etc? Lamoure overated?
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:33 am

I think LaMoure had lost a Stud???
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby DCFan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:52 am

NDplayin wrote:Does anyone know what's going on up there in Region 8 with Ray? These situations happen sometimes and often it is due to the return of previously injured or inelligible player(s). Is that the case, or is Ray simply making a tremendous run? Either way, it is still quite the accomplishment.

Ray started playing well in the districts. No new players just a bunch of very good athletes that have started to play well together. They also have a very good coaching staff. Arley Larson has been coaching a very long time and knows basketball. DC has also started to gel. Their defense in the tournaments so far has been very good. They play a pretty physical game. This match up will be interesting as Ray's tallest starter is 6-1 whereas DC goes 6-4. 6-3, 6-2, 6-2. I don't think Ray has anyone who can play with Andreas Holm. Holm is such a dynamic player. Very good offensively and defensively. He stuffed Lechler from Beach about 3 or 4 times when they played in Crosby. This will be a very good game if the New Ray shows up.
DCFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:01 pm

thewanderer wrote:
Lamoure 48

biggest upset of the Regions so far. EHS1998, i assume you were at the game. How did it play out. who were the key players, factors, etc? Lamoure overated?

Lamoure just didnt play very well, due in large part to LHMB. Losing a player like Zach Stemen (one of the top overal post payers in the State, in my opinion.) definately hurt them on both ends of the floor and with depth. This is not an excuse, its a reality. But take nothing away from LHMB, Carr had a great game plan and they executed well. One thing I notice about LHMB over the years is they almost always seems to have role players raise their games in key situations, Cody Sehn was one of those players yesterday as an example, and there are others like Weisser and Dralle. Tomorrow's game vs Napoleon could be a classic.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:06 pm

MTfan4life,

About the CC-MV game and no call at the end of the game. I've heard since that play from different people that the rule is it can be called a foul but there would no longer be free throws because the ball was not in play yet. Not sure but I guess it's a new rule.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby thewanderer » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:17 pm

EHS1998 wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
Lamoure 48

Lamoure just didnt play very well, due in large part to LHMB. Losing a player like Zach Stemen (one of the top overal post payers in the State, in my opinion.) definately hurt them on both ends of the floor and with depth. This is not an excuse, its a reality. But take nothing away from LHMB, Carr had a great game plan and they executed well. One thing I notice about LHMB over the years is they almost always seems to have role players raise their games in key situations, Cody Sehn was one of those players yesterday as an example, and there are others like Weisser and Dralle. Tomorrow's game vs Napoleon could be a classic.

what happened to Zach Stemen
thewanderer
NDPreps All-State

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:36 pm

NoIinTeam wrote:MTfan4life,

About the CC-MV game and no call at the end of the game. I've heard since that play from different people that the rule is it can be called a foul but there would no longer be free throws because the ball was not in play yet. Not sure but I guess it's a new rule.

I believe that was a foul and a 1 and 1 should have been shot. I think the way you mentioned it (FT not being administered) pertains to college and not high school.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:53 pm

thewanderer wrote:
EHS1998 wrote:
thewanderer wrote:
Lamoure 48

what happened to Zach Stemen

About 3 weeks ago he broke a bone in his foot, right behind his little toe. I'ts a 6 week injury typically so he never had the chance to make it back. Was suited up yesterday but just too risky at this point. I know his numbers will not wow people but her is 6'3 270+ with very quick feet and range out ot 18 feet. Also defends and rebounds very well and has a great grasp for their offense. If you made a top 10 list of post players in the state, he belongs on it.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby boomgoesthedynamite » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:01 pm

MNTwinsFan wrote:

I believe that was a foul and a 1 and 1 should have been shot. I think the way you mentioned it (FT not being administered) pertains to college and not high school.

There was a rule change for this season so no FT's would have been shot on a dead ball foul. Just confirmed that with 2 Class B coaches and and AD
boomgoesthedynamite
NDPreps Rookie

Postby coach » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 pm

NDplayin wrote:Does anyone know what's going on up there in Region 8 with Ray? These situations happen sometimes and often it is due to the return of previously injured or inelligible player(s). Is that the case, or is Ray simply making a tremendous run? Either way, it is still quite the accomplishment.

I think that Ray is just making the tremendous run....they were District seed #7 coming into District Tourney - Coming out of regions as a #1 or 2 is very impressive! Good Luck to them!
coach
NDPreps Reserve

Postby Bison-Vikes #1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:26 pm

I really feel for Maple Valley. Over the years they have had a number of teams that could have/should have been playing at the state tourney and something bad has happened during or close to tourney time. I am not saying they are cursed, but sooner or later they have to catch a break. Great season Maple Valley, congrats from up North.
Bison-Vikes #1
NDPreps All-State

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Thanks for confirming the rule change Boom. Everyone sees a game differently. Even if there were not a rule change I believe that would have been a tough foul call to make for any ref. Slight contact with a good flop by the MV player. I believe MV outplayed and out coached CC through out most of the game, but for them to potentially win it on a 50/50 call would not have been a good way to end it. CC seemed flat for the most part (missed free throws, layups) and hopefully can turn it on for the next game.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:46 pm

One quick note to add. I didn't mean to sound like I was bashing the CC coach because i think he does a fine job of pushing his team and leading them in the right direction. This particular night was just an off night for the team and the coach. We need to remember they are just kids and there is always alot of pressure, especially if you are undefeated and trying to get through a tough Regional game. MV deserves credit for having a great game plan and nearly pulling off the upset. They played great.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:43 pm

boomgoesthedynamite wrote:
MNTwinsFan wrote:

There was a rule change for this season so no FT's would have been shot on a dead ball foul. Just confirmed that with 2 Class B coaches and and AD

I still disagree it happened in the Kindred vs. Oak Grove game at the end of the game. Ball was being inbounded on the sideline by Oak Grove and a guard for Kindred, Milbrandt I believe, fouled an OG player trying to get free. They immediately marched to the FT line to shoot the bonus FT's.
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nduser1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:52 pm

MNTwinsFan - I believe like stated before the ball "must be in play" and in the Kindred/Oak Grove game the ball WAS in play. It was not in the CCHS / MV game.
nduser1
NDPreps Starter

Postby MNTwinsFan » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:00 pm

nduser1 wrote:MNTwinsFan - I believe like stated before the ball "must be in play" and in the Kindred/Oak Grove game the ball WAS in play. It was not in the CCHS / MV game.

No, the ball was not in play. It was in the inbounders hands on the sideline...ball never left his hand when the foul was called. That is why I was confused because both of the inbounders had the ball in their hands when the call/noncall happened. I assume that would be the same rule for both. But, assuming gets a lot of people in trouble. :lol:
MNTwinsFan
NDPreps Starter

Postby nduser1 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:14 pm

That is odd than that the refs were not on the same page? It must have just been a judgement call they were not wanting to make.
nduser1
NDPreps Starter

Postby boomgoesthedynamite » Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:31 pm

I'm guessing here but I can find out for sure but I think the call in question from the CC game would've been considered a "player control" foul, much like an offensive charge, where no FT's are awarded. BUT in the OG/Kindred game this foul was one in where a defender held on to the opposing player and/or the opposing player's jersey which is basically a personal foul just like if the ball was in play. I may have worded my explanation incorrectly before when I said no FT's on a dead ball foul........I don't think its quite that simple. I will find out for sure, good observations though. Like I said, this is my best guess.....
boomgoesthedynamite
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Hinsa » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Ball is considered in play as soon as it is in the hands of the inbounder. The ball is live.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby NoIinTeam » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Well then maybe the refs didn't consider it a foul. I guess I didn't feel it was a foul as much as it was a flop by the MV player. In the case of a player falling over trying to draw a charge, that can be considered a foul on the player that fakes getting charged into. The whole play I believe was a good no call. A game shouldn't be decided by the refs or by making an extremely difficult judgemental call on something that was not a very blatent foul on either team. I suppose there were alot of calls that could be questioned through out the whole game. This particular no call was the right decision in my mind.
NoIinTeam
NDPreps Starter

Postby wolves65 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:05 pm

Listen to the webcast by ndhssports of the CC/MV game and Rick Roberts went a bit over-board. He called out the officials on the air and has no clue. He and his partner didn't even call the last shot by Bresnahan the only way you knew it went is was the crowd noise. Great job guys-good thing there are other options
With .3 on the clock isn't the only thing you can do is tip the ball?
wolves65
NDPreps All-Conference

PreviousNext

Return to Boys