Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby vikingman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:30 pm

What is the official way for keeping stats when you get fouled on a missed field goal attempt? Do you count it as an attempt or not? I've heard it done both ways on radio this year.
vikingman
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:24 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby winner-within » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:34 pm

vikingman wrote:What is the official way for keeping stats when you get fouled on a missed field goal attempt? Do you count it as an attempt or not? I've heard it done both ways on radio this year.


You can get fouled on a shot attempt and make it, that's an attempt and a make... if you miss, its an attempt and a miss..IMO
"It doesn't matter who scores the points, it's who can get the ball to the scorer" - Larry Bird
winner-within
NDPreps Legend
 
Posts: 4076
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:08 am

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:44 pm

vikingman wrote:What is the official way for keeping stats when you get fouled on a missed field goal attempt? Do you count it as an attempt or not? I've heard it done both ways on radio this year.


If you get fouled on your shot attempt and it is whistled as a foul...then you don't count it as a shot attempted (as long as you get FTs out of it).

If you make the shot then the its an attempt and a made basket (plus 1 FT coming)

That's the way I was taught...
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10716
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby hoops247 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:51 pm

Run is correct -

If you are fouled on a shot attempt and it does not go in it does not count as a shot attempt. If the shot goes in then it does count as a shot attempt.
User avatar
hoops247
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:08 am

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby d_fense » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:52 pm

run4fun is correct. It is only counted as an attempt if the shot is made.
d_fense
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby bequickdonthurry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:39 pm

So, why don't you count getting fouled in the act as a shot attempt? Please provide some citation to back up the assertion that this would not count as an attempt. Not looking for an argument, just seeking support for your claim.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby BB11 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:48 pm

bequickdonthurry wrote:So, why don't you count getting fouled in the act as a shot attempt? Please provide some citation to back up the assertion that this would not count as an attempt. Not looking for an argument, just seeking support for your claim.

I can't cite any specific statistical rules, but I have never heard of a shot attempt counting as one if the player was fouled during the attempt - unless they made it of course. It wouldn't make any sense to count it as a shot attempt. If someone is attempting to shoot the ball and a defender grabs their arm and the ball only gets 7 feet off the ground and goes straight out of bounds how can you define that as a legitimate shot attempt? It would be the same thing if in football - every pass interference call on the defense would still count as a pass attempt for the QB. What if the ball was intercepted - it already counts as a pass attempt so it must count as an interception without turning the ball over.
OK - I'm sorry - I am getting really farfetched here and I apologize. But you can see my point right?
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:49 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby bequickdonthurry » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:58 pm

BB11 wrote:
bequickdonthurry wrote:So, why don't you count getting fouled in the act as a shot attempt? Please provide some citation to back up the assertion that this would not count as an attempt. Not looking for an argument, just seeking support for your claim.

I can't cite any specific statistical rules, but I have never heard of a shot attempt counting as one if the player was fouled during the attempt - unless they made it of course. It wouldn't make any sense to count it as a shot attempt. If someone is attempting to shoot the ball and a defender grabs their arm and the ball only gets 7 feet off the ground and goes straight out of bounds how can you define that as a legitimate shot attempt? It would be the same thing if in football - every pass interference call on the defense would still count as a pass attempt for the QB. What if the ball was intercepted - it already counts as a pass attempt so it must count as an interception without turning the ball over.
OK - I'm sorry - I am getting really farfetched here and I apologize. But you can see my point right?



You've never heard of it, I've never considered it wasn't an attempt until I read this topic.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:03 am

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/Stats_Man ... 2011EZ.pdf

SECTION 1—FIELD GOALS

Article 1. A field-goal attempt (FGA) is charged to a player
any time the player shoots, throws or taps a live ball at his or her
own basket, when, in the opinion of the statistician, the player
is attempting to score a goal, with these exceptions:
(a) A FGA is not charged if the player is fouled in the act of
shooting before the ball is in flight and the goal is not
made.
(b) A FGA is not charged if there is offensive goaltending or
offensive basket interference on that shot.
(c) A FGA is not charged if an unsuccessful shot is taken near
the expiration of time for a period or for the shot clock,
and it is the statistician’s opinion that the shot was a desperation
shot and not a reasonable attempt to make a
field goal. One or more of the following factors should
exist in order to classify a shot as a desperation shot. The
shooter:
(1) Is outside the normal shooting range. A shot from
just beyond the three-point line would usually be
considered in normal shooting range while a shot at
or beyond the division line would be outside normal
shooting range.
(2) Uses an abnormal shooting motion, such as an overhand
baseball toss.
(3) Rushes or hurries the shot to beat the expiration of
time. A shot could be considered rushed or hurried if
the shooter tries to control and shoot the ball in the
same motion with not enough time to get into a normal
shooting position (squared up to the basket).

ALSO:

"A player should not be charged for a shot from the field or from the free-throw line influenced by the illegal actions of himself or herself, teammates or opponents, unless the shot results in a field goal or free throw made."
Email ND HS Scores to: ndhsscores@yahoo.com
THANKS!
User avatar
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King
 
Posts: 10716
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby bequickdonthurry » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:08 am

Thank you.

Exception a) .....before the ball is in flight.......?

Oh my, that's tricky.
bequickdonthurry
NDPreps Starter
 
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby d_fense » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:22 am

bequickdonthurry wrote:So, why don't you count getting fouled in the act as a shot attempt? Please provide some citation to back up the assertion that this would not count as an attempt. Not looking for an argument, just seeking support for your claim.


The way it was explained to me was, "Think of it as if the player who commits the foul takes away the oppertunity of the shooter to make an attempt. If the shooter happens to make the shot, reward him (and penalize the player who commited the foul) with the basket and a free throw." You must count the made basket as an attempt for your stats to add up correctly.
d_fense
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:13 am
Location: Small town eastern ND

Re: Stats -- getting fouled on field goal attempt

Postby Wildcat » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:04 pm

Yeah, it wouldn't be in the spirit of the game if it counted as a field goal attempt when you get fouled. Imagine the games where Wilt Chamberlain went 18 for 18 or when Yao Ming went 12 for 12 and to ruin his perfect percentage, all they had to do was to hard-foul him on the way up? You could really drag post players' shooting percentages down.
Wildcat
NDPreps All-Conference
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:34 pm


Return to Boys

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest