North Star vs. Warwick

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

North Star vs. Warwick

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am

These 2 seem to be on a collision course in Region 4 with 2 of the best players in the state in Langstaff and Hagler leading the way.

I saw an interesting quote by the Warwick coach Kevin Bennefeld in the Jamestown Sun, “We wanted to play them, but they didn’t want to.” Which made me wonder about this match up.

With their ability to score, could Warwick topple the mighty Bearcats?
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Re: North Star vs. Warwick

Postby N2X » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:37 am

I've personally seen both these 2 teams play.. I honestly don't think North Star has the Region wrapped up to make it to state.. Warwick could easily be undefeated as well.. Their two losses come with a forfeit and a loss to Four Winds earlier in the year.. If Warwick can shut down Grande and have Langstaff vs Hagler.. My money goes on Langstaff winning the scoring match.. and Warwick winning a close one by less than 4 points. JMO.
N2X
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:12 am

Where is the Region 4 tourney this year? If they do match up, I want to be there.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby N2X » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:17 am

DL Sports Arena in Devils Lake
N2X
NDPreps Starter

Postby EHS1998 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:34 am

N2X wrote:DL Sports Arena in Devils Lake

Excellent. Thanks.
We plan and God laughs.
EHS1998
NDPreps Legend

Postby 2XSTATECHAMP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:47 am

I don't believe Coach Bennefield has all the facts. A team can only play so many games in a year, and I believe next years schedule is already set. So if you want to play a certain team, you better contact them a year in advance. So I don't believe that the Bearcats are scared. Who knows? Maybe Coach Bennefield could ask Coach Hagler?
2XSTATECHAMP
NDPreps Starter

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:27 pm

2XSTATECHAMP wrote:I don't believe Coach Bennefield has all the facts. A team can only play so many games in a year, and I believe next years schedule is already set. So if you want to play a certain team, you better contact them a year in advance. So I don't believe that the Bearcats are scared. Who knows? Maybe Coach Bennefield could ask Coach Hagler?

Next year's schedules will be done in March after all the district meetings are done. Unless there are co-ops, a lot of teams just keep the same schedule, with corresponding dates and alternating sites, for the next season so Northstars schedule could have already been full. You really don't see teams dropping people from their schedules too often in any year.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby vikingman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 pm

North Star has a good chance of playing Warwick in the Ramsey Tournament each year, plus a good chance of meeting at regions. There's no big upside to meet in the regular season in addition to that.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:20 pm

vikingman wrote:North Star has a good chance of playing Warwick in the Ramsey Tournament each year, plus a good chance of meeting at regions. There's no big upside to meet in the regular season in addition to that.

Plain and simple....if they are in the same Region they should HAVE to play............and these MN ND shootouts are stupid........
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 pm

So you would rather have Cavalier travel all the way to Cooperstown instead of just crossing the river to play Kittson Central or Stephen Argyle for a game? I like seeing the out of state games to see how our teams compare to other states.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:31 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:So you would rather have Cavalier travel all the way to Cooperstown instead of just crossing the river to play Kittson Central or Stephen Argyle for a game? I like seeing the out of state games to see how our teams compare to other states.

I said the shootouts (I like the weeknight ball 2 teams)....in DL, GF....waste of time....have a tournament where a kid has to bring his pride and his heart with him and play for a Trophy like the "Days of old"......since when do we need to incorporate exhibition ball into a regular season
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:36 pm

If you play everybody in your region that gives you 14-15 games in a season. Almost every team plays in some type of inseason tournament, so that's another 3 games. That only gives a team another 2-3 games left to schedule who they wish or try to challenge themselves with top teams in other regions. I like seeing Northstar going out west to play Beulah, CC heading up to Grafton to play, Carrington going out west to take on the top teams, etc. Plus with some of these teams that are so close to the region borders, it makes a lot more sense to play a non region game travelwise than be forced to drive 100 miles to play a non district region game. I would rather see teams playing in shootouts or traveling out of state to play new teams than to play a team in their district twice in the regular season. Grafton and Cavalier may play 4 times every year.
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby Mike Ditka » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:37 pm

winner-within wrote:
vikingman wrote:North Star has a good chance of playing Warwick in the Ramsey Tournament each year, plus a good chance of meeting at regions. There's no big upside to meet in the regular season in addition to that.

Plain and simple....if they are in the same Region they should HAVE to play............and these MN ND shootouts are stupid........

If you want all teams in the same region to play during the regular season, make the same change Region 7 is making to a super region and not districts. Until everyone does that all teams aren't going to play each other that are in the same region. Just the way it is...
Mike Ditka
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby 2XSTATECHAMP » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:08 pm

I think winner-with-in has some serious issues. Now teams are forced to play all teams in their region? District is plenty, and these team should be allowed to play competition that they choose. These shootouts are designed for the fans to watch some different teams. And why wouldn't Northstar wanna take on Beulah, DL-B, Rugby, they wanna gauge where they are. Not only that, but they have to play region teams at the Ramsey County Tourney.
2XSTATECHAMP
NDPreps Starter

Postby CumminsPower » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:18 pm

EHS1998 wrote:These 2 seem to be on a collision course in Region 4 with 2 of the best players in the state in Langstaff and Hagler leading the way.

I saw an interesting quote by the Warwick coach Kevin Bennefeld in the Jamestown Sun, “We wanted to play them, but they didn’t want to.” Which made me wonder about this match up.

With their ability to score, could Warwick topple the mighty Bearcats?

if Warwicks coach actually said that he is a complete joke! Hagler is twenty times the coach as Warwicks! Hagler would never say no to a team that offers North Star a good challenge!
Hear the whistle, see the smoke you've been passed by a Powerstroke!
CumminsPower
NDPreps Reserve

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:19 pm

2XSTATECHAMP wrote:I think winner-with-in has some serious issues. Now teams are forced to play all teams in their region? District is plenty, and these team should be allowed to play competition that they choose. These shootouts are designed for the fans to watch some different teams. And why wouldn't Northstar wanna take on Beulah, DL-B, Rugby, they wanna gauge where they are. Not only that, but they have to play region teams at the Ramsey County Tourney.

I occasionally bring some Issues to the Table....some maybe not so serious....no need to attempt to degrade I have my right to opinion and I am quite certain why NS avoids Warwick....i don't like shootouts....who cares, if you do? excellent

a lot of teams don't do an A invitational....i think they should then they couldn't play all them JRs and seniors in the B squad tourns
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby classB4ever » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Really don't think playing any team more then 2 times per year is a good idea. Things get "chippy" and nothing really gained from it.
Back on topic. Believe it would be a good game. In the long run, think that Northstar is too long and a better defensive team then Warwick. Will definitely pay money to see them play each other.
classB4ever
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby vikingman » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:56 pm

Some people are reading too much in to the original statement.

Assuming that 'North Star didn't want to play Warwick' is true---that doesn't mean North Star was 'afraid' to play Warwick. NS scheduled 3 games against top 10 teams this season. From the looks of it, next year's schedule will probably be tougher than this year's was. How many games has Warwick played against a top 10 team? NS and Warwick probably would have played this year if Warwick hadn't forfeited the 1st game of the Ramsey tournament.
vikingman
NDPreps All-State

Postby Ramsfan8 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Ridiculous . . . North Star tries to play competitive teams. Warwick hasn't been competitive. I agree the schedules are done in advance. Langstaff graduates this year why would they add them next year. Are they going to be a topped ranked team next year? Doubtful. What was Warwicks schedule like this year? North Star's goal has always been to play competitive teams. Look at them adding Des Lacs Burlington last year. They are good. DLB are going to be good next year as well. Obviously you need to play district games. I don't agree with mandatory region games. I think it's better to play a wide variety of teams to ensure competition.

as far as who is going to win Region, that open: it always is, anything can happen. Warwick has to make it to final making assumptions is ridiculous, North Star has to make it to final as well, its not given. Cavalier was supposed to win region 2 last year and Grafton won the game that counted and did very well in state. I was impressed with Grafton the most last year and very impressed with them this year.

As I have said, if you want to beat North Star you need to play your absolute best game period, if you do you may get close and even may squeak out a win . . .

Class B Rules.
Ramsfan8
NDPreps Reserve

Postby B-oldtimer » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:06 pm

North Star is very good team again this year but there not the team they were last year. I think theyre
vulnerable to be beaten in a regional tournament. I think also the competition from district 7 is better this year. Warwick could expose NS because of Lanstaff and Four Winds is very good team that is quick, big, and very deep. Also Carrington is good team and could cause problems if they are overlooked and will be
serious contender next year. Munich could have upset in them too very big team and if they should get
hot shooting could present problem for any team. My guess though is that if anyone is to beat them it will
be Four Winds.
B-oldtimer
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby bball15 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:45 pm

why did Warwick forfiet their first game?
bball15
NDPreps Starter

Postby Run4Fun2009 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:03 pm

bball15 wrote:why did Warwick forfiet their first game?

supposedly used an ineligible player (it was the first game of the Ramsey County Tourney)
Run4Fun2009
NDPreps The King

Postby justplayalready » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:46 pm

Put Warwick against any top 10 team that plays good team defense and they lose by 20-30.

FW/M will beat them by 20 in districts on a neutral court.
justplayalready
NDPreps All-State

Postby StraightUpBallin » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:48 pm

I think North Star could beat Warwick any day if the week.
North Star
Hagler
Grande
Haugen
Braun
Larson
Weston

Warwick
Langstaff
Ironhawk
Jackson
Greene
Motley

Advantage North Star better lineup, also plays better as a team!
StraightUpBallin
NDPreps Starter

Postby yadot » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:54 pm

So Ironhawk is seriously going to play?
yadot
NDPreps Reserve

Next

Return to Boys