Shot Clock

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Shot Clock

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:21 pm

yes it was, and goaltending was legal.
Pay Heed, All Who Enter: Beware of "The Phog"
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Hinsa » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Yes, the dunk was outlawed in the late 60s and early 70s.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby cubsfan » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:52 pm

Hinsa wrote:Yes, the dunk was outlawed in the late 60s and early 70s.

Coffee Black revolutionized the game of basketball with the alley-oop in 1976. :mrgreen:
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will.
-Vincent T. Lombardi
cubsfan
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby basketballer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:09 pm

We need a shot clock, it is way harder to get a steal against a good team. 1st of all refs don't like the steal and will anticipate a reach in call. 2nd Come on play basketball don't sit around with the ball, let the team who plays best win. 3rd I am tired of watching games where they stall the last minute 4th the shot clock is the only way to keep the game going. I personally am a fan of the way Class A does it. 2 halves and the shot clock. Their game wasn't broke before they got it, and personally I believe it helped their game.
basketballer

Postby baseball » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:12 pm

did Class A adopt the shot clock and the halves at the same time or has the shot clock been around while they were still doing quarters? something i probably should know just makin sure haha
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby Baller » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:50 pm

baseball wrote:did Class A adopt the shot clock and the halves at the same time or has the shot clock been around while they were still doing quarters? something i probably should know just makin sure haha

Shot clock was a around for about 5-6 years before halves.
"I'm going to take my ball and go home!"
Baller
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby ndhoopscoach » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:18 am

Class B needs to catch up to the rest of the world by adding the shot clock AND going to 18 minute halves. With a shot clock, it makes for a lot better defensive game. Kids sell out and play hard on defense, when they know they only have 35 seconds to do it in. There have also been a lot of teams that have won games because all they do is hold the ball. For instance, when Dickinson Trinity won their last State Title, it wasn't the most talented Trinity team by any means, but they were so disciplined with the ball. I heard in their Regional championship game against Bowman that year that Bowman only shot the ball 8 times in the second half b/c Trinity sat on it. That is just an example of what my point is, and my point is that is why Class A went to the shot clock b/c teams were doing that. The shot clock has made for such a better game at the Class A level. I have also not heard one complaint about the 18 minute half rule that went into effect with the Class A. It gives a much better flow to the game b/c it is not broken up by quarter breaks. The coaches, players, and fans at the A level love it. I think it is high time Class B gets out of the stone age of basketball and gets caught up with the other levels.
ndhoopscoach

Postby The Schwab » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:26 am

ndhoopscoach wrote:Class B needs to catch up to the rest of the world by adding the shot clock AND going to 18 minute halves. With a shot clock, it makes for a lot better defensive game. Kids sell out and play hard on defense, when they know they only have 35 seconds to do it in. There have also been a lot of teams that have won games because all they do is hold the ball. For instance, when Dickinson Trinity won their last State Title, it wasn't the most talented Trinity team by any means, but they were so disciplined with the ball. I heard in their Regional championship game against Bowman that year that Bowman only shot the ball 8 times in the second half b/c Trinity sat on it. That is just an example of what my point is, and my point is that is why Class A went to the shot clock b/c teams were doing that. The shot clock has made for such a better game at the Class A level. I have also not heard one complaint about the 18 minute half rule that went into effect with the Class A. It gives a much better flow to the game b/c it is not broken up by quarter breaks. The coaches, players, and fans at the A level love it. I think it is high time Class B gets out of the stone age of basketball and gets caught up with the other levels.

Seven States use the shot clock......so no....we don't need to "catch up with the rest of the world". It's not broke....DON'T FIX IT.
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby Flying Wallenda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:23 pm

The Schwab wrote:
ndhoopscoach wrote:Class B needs to catch up to the rest of the world by adding the shot clock AND going to 18 minute halves. With a shot clock, it makes for a lot better defensive game. Kids sell out and play hard on defense, when they know they only have 35 seconds to do it in. There have also been a lot of teams that have won games because all they do is hold the ball. For instance, when Dickinson Trinity won their last State Title, it wasn't the most talented Trinity team by any means, but they were so disciplined with the ball. I heard in their Regional championship game against Bowman that year that Bowman only shot the ball 8 times in the second half b/c Trinity sat on it. That is just an example of what my point is, and my point is that is why Class A went to the shot clock b/c teams were doing that. The shot clock has made for such a better game at the Class A level. I have also not heard one complaint about the 18 minute half rule that went into effect with the Class A. It gives a much better flow to the game b/c it is not broken up by quarter breaks. The coaches, players, and fans at the A level love it. I think it is high time Class B gets out of the stone age of basketball and gets caught up with the other levels.

Seven States use the shot clock......so no....we don't need to "catch up with the rest of the world". It's not broke....DON'T FIX IT.

Agreed Schwab, as soon as the A tourney becomes the state's marque event i'll listen to the shot clock arguement, until then, leave class b alone!
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

Postby Hinsa » Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:26 pm

NDHoopscoach - why shouldn't Trinity have the right to be patient with the ball? To satisfy you as a fan? Is that what high school ball is about - pleasing the fans?

Being patient is one tool a team can use to neutralize superior talent. And in my opinion, superior talent DOES NOT need to win every time.
Twins and Vikings Forever!
Hinsa
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndhoopscoach » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:13 am

Then why does the NBA, college basketball and all the upper divisions of high school basketball use the shot clock? Because it makes for a better game! It has nothing to do with me wanting to be entertained as a fan.
ndhoopscoach

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:19 am

ndhoopscoach wrote:Then why does the NBA, college basketball and all the upper divisions of high school basketball use the shot clock? Because it makes for a better game! It has nothing to do with me wanting to be entertained as a fan.

again...i feel like a broken record, 7 STATES HAVE SHOT CLOCK
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoopsfan21 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:58 am

The shot clock will only help class B basketball and increase the popularity of Class B basketball to a even higher level. The offensive side of the game will improve greatly creating a more crisp, fast paced offense with more points and the defense will also improve only having to defend for 35 seconds. Has anyone watched the WDA or State A 10-15 years ago and watched those tournaments today? The attendance is twice as big, and the reason is, they play exciting good basketball. I am not a big fan of Class A and love class B, but you have to be completely blind and ignorant to say that Class A ball isnt usually a better played game then Class B and I feel alot of that has to do with the shot clock
hoopsfan21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Go back and watch every televised game on the Class B tournament and count how many possessions lasted for more than 35 seconds. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of total possessions, I bet only 5...at most 10...lasted 35 seconds or more. Almost everytime the offense has the ball a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds. Also, go and watch all of the Class A televised games and do the same thing. How many shot clock violations were there in the tourney? Probably only a couple. (I'd really like to know that answer if someone has the stat). It's the same thing in class A....a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds most of the time. Heck, a lot of the time it was just 1 or 2 passes and a shot went up after 5 seconds. I watched the Bismarck/South championship game and I will agree that is was played at a faster pace than most of the class B tourney games, but the shot clock had nothing to do with that. It's just that the style of play is different. Class A is more up and down, fast tempo (again its not because of the shot clock) and Class B is a more ball control type of game.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby eyeinthesky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:00 pm

ndlionsfan wrote:Go back and watch every televised game on the Class B tournament and count how many possessions lasted for more than 35 seconds. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of total possessions, I bet only 5...at most 10...lasted 35 seconds or more. Almost everytime the offense has the ball a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds. Also, go and watch all of the Class A televised games and do the same thing. How many shot clock violations were there in the tourney? Probably only a couple. (I'd really like to know that answer if someone has the stat). It's the same thing in class A....a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds most of the time. Heck, a lot of the time it was just 1 or 2 passes and a shot went up after 5 seconds. I watched the Bismarck/South championship game and I will agree that is was played at a faster pace than most of the class B tourney games, but the shot clock had nothing to do with that. It's just that the style of play is different. Class A is more up and down, fast tempo (again its not because of the shot clock) and Class B is a more ball control type of game.

This is what hoopsfan21 was talking about. Go back 10-15 years and this was the exact opposite! Class B was fast tempo and Class A was more of a grind it out type of play. So what has changed....answer: shot clock and halves vs. quarters.

I am not saying a shot clock is the magical answer, but how could it hurt??
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:02 pm

hoopsfan21 wrote:The shot clock will only help class B basketball and increase the popularity of Class B basketball to a even higher level. The offensive side of the game will improve greatly creating a more crisp, fast paced offense with more points and the defense will also improve only having to defend for 35 seconds. Has anyone watched the WDA or State A 10-15 years ago and watched those tournaments today? The attendance is twice as big, and the reason is, they play exciting good basketball. I am not a big fan of Class A and love class B, but you have to be completely blind and ignorant to say that Class A ball isnt usually a better played game then Class B and I feel alot of that has to do with the shot clock

The shot clock....isn't needed....the basketball is just fine. Class B is just fine, if it's not broke DON'T FIX IT!
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby hoopsfan21 » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:10 pm

i see your location is Mayville. The shot clock would of guarenteed the state title in 02 to Mayport instead of a last second shot by Nelson. Mayport was by far a better team, and the team that deserved the state title, but that was nearly taken away from them by berthold sitting on it the whole game.
hoopsfan21
NDPreps Reserve

Postby eyeinthesky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:12 pm

The Schwab wrote:
hoopsfan21 wrote:The shot clock will only help class B basketball and increase the popularity of Class B basketball to a even higher level. The offensive side of the game will improve greatly creating a more crisp, fast paced offense with more points and the defense will also improve only having to defend for 35 seconds. Has anyone watched the WDA or State A 10-15 years ago and watched those tournaments today? The attendance is twice as big, and the reason is, they play exciting good basketball. I am not a big fan of Class A and love class B, but you have to be completely blind and ignorant to say that Class A ball isnt usually a better played game then Class B and I feel alot of that has to do with the shot clock

The shot clock....isn't needed....the basketball is just fine. Class B is just fine, if it's not broke DON'T FIX IT!

It may not be "broke" but compare Class B to other levels of basketball and it could be argued that it is breaking down...
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby The Schwab » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:27 pm

i've played basketball without shot clock and coached it with shot clock. I feel that the shot clock would not benefit class b basketball. That is why i feel strongly on this topic
The Schwab
The Schwab
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndhoopscoach » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:40 pm

I agree that Class B is heading to what Class A used to be before they put the shot clock and halves in. That is why Class B needs a shot clock to fix the problem. I played high school ball without a shot clock, and got to witness first hand the famous 4-2 game, and I have coached with a shot clock. I think the shot clock only helps the game. A few years ago, Trinity and May/Port played in a state title game and the score was 34-32 with Trinity winning on a buzzer beater. I thought it was horrible that when you miss a shot with over 2 minutes to go in the game, that you never get the ball back and lose a chance to win a state title game. That isn't right.
ndhoopscoach

Postby eyeinthesky » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 pm

The Schwab wrote:i've played basketball without shot clock and coached it with shot clock. I feel that the shot clock would not benefit class b basketball. That is why i feel strongly on this topic

And you might be correct...but I don't see how it could hurt either :?
eyeinthesky
NDPreps Starter

Postby WarmBlooded » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:46 pm

ndhoopscoach wrote:I agree that Class B is heading to what Class A used to be before they put the shot clock and halves in. That is why Class B needs a shot clock to fix the problem. I played high school ball without a shot clock, and got to witness first hand the famous 4-2 game, and I have coached with a shot clock. I think the shot clock only helps the game. A few years ago, Trinity and May/Port played in a state title game and the score was 34-32 with Trinity winning on a buzzer beater. I thought it was horrible that when you miss a shot with over 2 minutes to go in the game, that you never get the ball back and lose a chance to win a state title game. That isn't right.

If that team wasn't good enough to get the ball back with 2 min left, they weren't good enough to win the state championship.

No shot clock, no halves.
WarmBlooded
NDPreps Reserve

Postby baseball » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:46 pm

ndhoopscoach wrote:I agree that Class B is heading to what Class A used to be before they put the shot clock and halves in. That is why Class B needs a shot clock to fix the problem. I played high school ball without a shot clock, and got to witness first hand the famous 4-2 game, and I have coached with a shot clock. I think the shot clock only helps the game. A few years ago, Trinity and May/Port played in a state title game and the score was 34-32 with Trinity winning on a buzzer beater. I thought it was horrible that when you miss a shot with over 2 minutes to go in the game, that you never get the ball back and lose a chance to win a state title game. That isn't right.

theres a reason that game was low scoring....the 2 BEST defensive teams in the state. id rather see a good defensive game where the offense takes 45 seconds to get a good shot then to see a good defensive game where they have to jack a fade away off the dribble from 26 just to "beat the clock". you also have to credit the offense if they are able to hold the ball that long against a good defense.
baseball
NDPreps Legend

Postby ndlionsfan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:51 pm

eyeinthesky wrote:
ndlionsfan wrote:Go back and watch every televised game on the Class B tournament and count how many possessions lasted for more than 35 seconds. Out of the hundreds and hundreds of total possessions, I bet only 5...at most 10...lasted 35 seconds or more. Almost everytime the offense has the ball a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds. Also, go and watch all of the Class A televised games and do the same thing. How many shot clock violations were there in the tourney? Probably only a couple. (I'd really like to know that answer if someone has the stat). It's the same thing in class A....a shot goes up after 10-15 seconds most of the time. Heck, a lot of the time it was just 1 or 2 passes and a shot went up after 5 seconds. I watched the Bismarck/South championship game and I will agree that is was played at a faster pace than most of the class B tourney games, but the shot clock had nothing to do with that. It's just that the style of play is different. Class A is more up and down, fast tempo (again its not because of the shot clock) and Class B is a more ball control type of game.

This is what hoopsfan21 was talking about. Go back 10-15 years and this was the exact opposite! Class B was fast tempo and Class A was more of a grind it out type of play. So what has changed....answer: shot clock and halves vs. quarters.

I am not saying a shot clock is the magical answer, but how could it hurt??

Your argument doesn't make sense. You said yourself that 10-15 years ago the styles in the tempo of the games in Class A and B were opposite what they are now. Class B was more uptempo and Class A was more ball control. Did Class B have a shot clock back then?!? NO!!! So how could that change the way class B bball is played?!? My point is that the shot clock and the halves have not changed the game. Things just go in cycles. 15 years from now Class B may be played more uptempo and Class A more slow it down again. Playing with or without a shot clock will not affect either.
"There is only one thing in which a person can start at the top - digging a hole"
ndlionsfan
NDPreps Legend

Postby hp fan » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:59 pm

I agree baseball, but I have a question for all of you against a shot clock; I personally feel a shot clock is to award the defense. If you can clamp down and play "D" for 35-45 sec, then you shouldn't you be rewarded?

I guess that would prevent teams from holding the ball for 1:30 at the end of each quarter. Personally I think that takes dang near 1/4 of the game away.

I also think that you could use changing defenses to confuse an offense out of 10-15 sec. Offenses "may" go to more set plays, but that would just showcase the athletes they have, instead of running a motion/flex/swing offense for 3 minutes, until they get a layup.
hp fan

PreviousNext

Return to Boys