Region 6

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: Region 6

Postby Bill Cartwright » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:41 pm

I will agree that BR might look at those two too much, but that is all they have. The other players will play good aggressive ball and defense. Best coach in the area in the last few years? OK have you ever heard of Jason Schwarz, Doug Wagner, or even Ken Keysor. Seriously! I would have to give ryan the edge as of now because I got a chance to watch Berthold play tonight and they have alot of young talent, but they got out coached. They need a leader, because they are so young. Velva also look scrappy but also young and inexperienced. I guess we will have to see how things work out. It will be an exciting season.
Bill Cartwright

Postby forloveofthegame » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:34 am

Doug Wagner will prove his true coaching abilties when he decides whether or not to allow the two currently incarcerated juvenilles to return in January.

Also, most people believe that an excellent coach at some point takes their team past the regular season. Wagner and Keysor have yet to get to State.

Also with Keysor, any coach who has to publically berate his own players because they are off one night, or allow his players to make innapropriate gestures to the opponents crowd does not even deserve a second look for contention for coach of the region.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ballaholic#3 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:22 am

it's been 9 years since Doug Wagner took a team to state. that isn't that long ago. there are many teams out there who haven't been to state in 40 years. so that's a ridiculous comment about Doug Wagner.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bill Cartwright » Sat Dec 15, 2007 11:37 am

Forthelove, that is ridiculous saying that about Wagner. He is a great coach. I totally agree with ballaholic. You also can't judge a coach over political crap. Those decisions are made by more than the coach. Im not quite sold on Keysor but he still always seemed to be prepared. And about making action at the opposing crowds, Ive saw alot of other teams and players do such actions, including Minot Ryan. So your arguments really don't make any point, towards those three coaches being better then Ryans coach.
Bill Cartwright

Postby magic715 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:17 pm

Bill Cartwright wrote:I will agree that BR might look at those two too much, but that is all they have. The other players will play good aggressive ball and defense. Best coach in the area in the last few years? OK have you ever heard of Jason Schwarz, Doug Wagner, or even Ken Keysor. Seriously! I would have to give ryan the edge as of now because I got a chance to watch Berthold play tonight and they have alot of young talent, but they got out coached. They need a leader, because they are so young. Velva also look scrappy but also young and inexperienced. I guess we will have to see how things work out. It will be an exciting season.

Sorry i did leave out Wagner, i do think he is very good coach , cuz he seems to make his players play up and past there abilities by tourney time. I also think Schwarz is a very good x and o's coach, but heard he is terrible with kids. Keysor altho i think he knows his stuff, is not a good motivator and dont seem to think his players want to win for him too, i feel it take a coach to get a kid to want to play and win for them as well as themselves, extra motivation or inspiration.
magic715

Postby forloveofthegame » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:29 pm

I never said anything about Bishop Ryan's coach being better than Schwarz, Wagner or Keysor. I was just making points against Keysor and Wagner.

First off, yes that political crap does matter. Yes, the school board makes the decision, but he can ultimately decide if they play or not.

As with Keysor, any coach who yells to his team to get their p****** in the lockerroom on multiple occassions should maybe consider changing his coaching style. Obviously, has not worked.

But now that you mention it......Bishop Ryan has gone to State three of the last 6 years. I guess Medallin is better. Remember when you reply to this post, it has nothing to do with players, just coaches.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby ballaholic#3 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:42 pm

In Wagner's case you can't say if the school board/law decide if they can play which there is a chance they might not as part of parole, then why wouldn't he play them. all the school can do is give them six weeks which means those kids would be back before districts. if those two groups decide they can play then doug wagner probably won't be the deciding factor. so if they are allowed to play they will play because they are good enough to play, he's not going to be the lawman. so i don't think its wagner's responsibility to sit or let the kids play it's the law/school board.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby Bill Cartwright » Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:53 pm

First of Schwarz is more than an x's and o's kind of guy, he always could get the most out of his players. It was the parents who got him kicked out of Berthold. Second of all Medalin didn't take them all 3 years, and third the political crap has nothing to do with a coach, he is the one who has to try and get his players to forget about it all and just go out and play. And you can't honestly say that the talent of your players have nothing to do what a coach accomplishes. The coach has the job to game plan to his players strengths and has to know how to get the most out of them. One thing Medalin does wrong is let Vetter play to far away from the basket.
Bill Cartwright

Postby JJBD20 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:24 pm

i like Dunseith personally this year!!but Bishop Ryan is goin to be tough n Berthold looks good also!!
JJBD20

Postby #28 » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:51 pm

yes but bishop ryan finds away to win the big games
NDPreps Starter

Postby forloveofthegame » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:57 pm

Very true. Ryan always seems to win when it counts.
It will be interesting to see the polls tomorrow.
Alot has changed with Ryan and Hazen losing.
Hate to break your heart though Dunseith, losing to Mohall will probably cost you a spot. No way you get #1 just cause you beat Ryan.
forloveofthegame
NDPreps Reserve

Postby kobe4mvp » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:50 am

how about rugby beating des lacs by 20 i believe. does this mean des lacs was a little overrated or is A) rugby just that good? or B) des lacs just had a horrible game?
kobe4mvp

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:16 pm

well des lacs is overrated now since two of their top players and guards are in a bit of legal trouble. they have absolutely no guard play as of right now but their bigs are talented if they could find a way to get the ball. so unless dlb gets those two kids back then it will be more of the same but they'll be tough if they can come back and play.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic715 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:35 pm

ballaholic#3 wrote:well des lacs is overrated now since two of their top players and guards are in a bit of legal trouble. they have absolutely no guard play as of right now but their bigs are talented if they could find a way to get the ball. so unless dlb gets those two kids back then it will be more of the same but they'll be tough if they can come back and play.

I agree that they both would help, but the point guard is really the only one that is well above average, the other is nothing special, IMO
magic715

Postby ballaholic#3 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:36 pm

the point guard is the one who would raise the team to another level, one where they could compete but not necessarily win the region title. the other player is a good defender who is long and quick and is somewhat of a threat from the 3. these 2 players if eligible to play would give dlb's posts a chance to shine more as well as their point guard who is legit.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby BB11 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:02 am

magic715 wrote:
Bill Cartwright wrote:I believe this year the region is wide open, Ryan has alot of talent but dont play together all the time, I think with a better coach they would be heavy favorites, but with the loss last night it just prove that they are beatable. I would also have to say that Berthold is also a scary team to watch out for this year. They have a lot of young talent, and as long as their coach keeps playing the younger classmen they are also going to be a threat.

Wow, in my opinion, the Bishop Ryan coach is the best coach i have seen in this area in years. He learns alot from every game, he game plans well. He uses the other teams aggressiveness to his advantage. I think the Ryan players play well together, very unselfish, sometimes too unselfish, at times it looks like they look to Vetter and Backes to much. Ryan will need a 3rd and a 4th player to step up , to make them better, Eggl looks like he can, and i have a feeling the other one is going to come from the bench. Come tournament time he has them ready, as proven by the last 2 yrs. They werent the favorite, 2 yrs ago Bottineau was and last yr either Westhope, Kenmare, or Dunseith were probably considered better favorites than Ryan. I am not predicting they will this year, cuz i also believe that Dunseith, Berthold , are even this year, and maybe even Kenmare and or Mohall.

How was Ryan not considered the favorite last year. They beat everyone in the regular season except Dunseith, and were the only team from Region 6 to be rated in the top 10 all year. I don't think Ryan ever was the underdog that rose from the ashes in any game last year. They had a solid team and proved it night in and night out.
"As God as my witness, I thought Turkeys could fly."
BB11
NDPreps All-State

Postby Bill Cartwright » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:22 pm

I agree, BR has been at the top for the last 3 years, this year they are at the top of the polls as well, it is theirs to so call lose. Do I think they are over rated? Yes.
Forlove, you need to hop of the ryan wagon and just sit back and watch the season unfold, because ryan is going to lose, and I just dont see them getting it done to go all the way this year. And talking about ryan always finding away to win the big games, what happens when they make it to state, those are like the biggest games of the year!
Bill Cartwright

Postby #28 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:29 pm

Bill Cartwright wrote:I agree, BR has been at the top for the last 3 years, this year they are at the top of the polls as well, it is theirs to so call lose. Do I think they are over rated? Yes.
Forlove, you need to hop of the ryan wagon and just sit back and watch the season unfold, because ryan is going to lose, and I just dont see them getting it done to go all the way this year. And talking about ryan always finding away to win the big games, what happens when they make it to state, those are like the biggest games of the year!
hater for sho i think ur just a litlle jealous of what ryan has got going for them right now
NDPreps Starter

Postby kobe4mvp » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:34 pm

any good regional matchups coming up this late december or early january we should look forward to?
kobe4mvp

Postby #28 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:36 pm

bishop ryan vS. berthold in january should be a good one
NDPreps Starter

Postby ballaholic#3 » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:09 pm

is it a little too early to determine who is overrated or not or should we wait until january. some teams need to get their bearings straight and figure out who plays where and when. i know this is may not be totally relevent but in the nba team's out totally sell-out for one game until later in the season. so i think once the district schedule starts then we can determine who is over/underrated.

P.S. i'm not from ryan but it makes no sense to tell them they're going to lose in december because now they're trying to prove something against rival teams. it doesn't help your team to give rivals something to prove.
ballaholic#3
NDPreps Starter

Postby magic715 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:15 am

BB11 wrote:
magic715 wrote:
Bill Cartwright wrote:I believe this year the region is wide open, Ryan has alot of talent but dont play together all the time, I think with a better coach they would be heavy favorites, but with the loss last night it just prove that they are beatable. I would also have to say that Berthold is also a scary team to watch out for this year. They have a lot of young talent, and as long as their coach keeps playing the younger classmen they are also going to be a threat.

Wow, in my opinion, the Bishop Ryan coach is the best coach i have seen in this area in years. He learns alot from every game, he game plans well. He uses the other teams aggressiveness to his advantage. I think the Ryan players play well together, very unselfish, sometimes too unselfish, at times it looks like they look to Vetter and Backes to much. Ryan will need a 3rd and a 4th player to step up , to make them better, Eggl looks like he can, and i have a feeling the other one is going to come from the bench. Come tournament time he has them ready, as proven by the last 2 yrs. They werent the favorite, 2 yrs ago Bottineau was and last yr either Westhope, Kenmare, or Dunseith were probably considered better favorites than Ryan. I am not predicting they will this year, cuz i also believe that Dunseith, Berthold , are even this year, and maybe even Kenmare and or Mohall.

How was Ryan not considered the favorite last year. They beat everyone in the regular season except Dunseith, and were the only team from Region 6 to be rated in the top 10 all year. I don't think Ryan ever was the underdog that rose from the ashes in any game last year. They had a solid team and proved it night in and night out.

Well going into the regional, Ryan had lost twice to Kenmare, lost to dunseith by a decent margin, beat westhope at home on a prayer, so going into the tourney it, by most accts hearing from people was pretty even, but i dont think Ryan was favored, so i think coaching and players stepping up had quite a bit to do with it.
magic715

Postby Bill Cartwright » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:34 am

Saw that Velva handle Berthold last night, they are very scrappy and work well as a team together and have a good coach, I look for them to throw in a few twists this year. Berthold seem to get out coached again, they have alot of talent but don't play for each other and just themselves, but I still look for them come tourney time
Bill Cartwright

Postby twins123 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:59 pm

Bill Cartwright wrote:Saw that Velva handle Berthold last night, they are very scrappy and work well as a team together and have a good coach, I look for them to throw in a few twists this year. Berthold seem to get out coached again, they have alot of talent but don't play for each other and just themselves, but I still look for them come tourney time

I agree with you on this one Bill, don't get me wrong Velva has a very good team and should do well this year, but i think Berthold going on talent wise should have won. Two of Bertholds normal high scorers didn't even break ten points and the top three scorers in the game for berthold were three sophmores, two of which were not even starting, and with Yale having to sit out for that game because of injury. But i definately think Berthold got out coached in the game. basically because they don't have any sort of offense that could handle the triangle and 2 that velva threw at them. Any knowlegable coach would have went into the huddle and given them an offense to run, but it didn't seem like bertholds coach hardly even noticed.
twins123
NDPreps Rookie

Postby Bill Cartwright » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:55 pm

I totally agree Twins, with Yale out that had to hurt them, as for the other two scores Velva shut them down. The Bloms kid looked frustrated all night and couldnt get anything going, but he should learn to pass the ball more when he isnt hitting and when he is gettng doubled teamed. The Bombers also have to get better defensively givng up 70 some points! They just need a coach to step up and give them a game plan and they will be alright come the end of the season
Bill Cartwright

PreviousNext

Return to Boys