3 class proposal

Class B Boys
Forum rules
Please do not post just to complain about players, coaches, teams, officials, fans, or anyone else. Lets all try to demonstrate the spirit of good sportsmanship. Posts may be edited or deleted that do not comply.

Re: 3 class proposal

Postby winner-within » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:57 pm

Now you can all Shut Up and quit Cryin! (both sides)... :D
If you can’t excel with talent, triumph with effort.
winner-within
NDPreps Legend

Postby heimer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:24 pm

Well, it doesn't affect volleyball, which has very similar challenges, so I don't think we're done just yet. We're just moving to a different thread.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 pm

heimer wrote:Well, it doesn't affect volleyball, which has very similar challenges, so I don't think we're done just yet. We're just moving to a different thread.

When this all started the talk was only about basketball...I don't foresee a volleyball discussion for at least 2 years
One Stop Shop for All North Dakota Scores
https://www.northdakotaprepscoreboards.com/

"Control what you can control...Can't fix ignorant people"
WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Class B » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:14 pm

What's done is now done, I guess. So the fun griping now goes to Region placement...

I wish they would have addressed the "unbalanced" NE vs. NW region in Division A. 6 teams is too little and 9 teams are too much (especially when there's 6 teams in the other region). This makes the case that travel will be a nightmare under the new plan (shoot! I thought I was done griping about it...)

I think there's a couple Co-op scenarios that might change that. Max boys could end up joining South Prairie (like they already do for girls) which moved SP up and puts a 10th team in that NW region. Also... Drake/Anamoose might be a question mark too. They are down to just a varsity team and I'm not sure what sort of numbers follow. They could join up with Velva or Harvey... putting either both of them up a division.

One... and definitely both... of these scenarios pushes Rugby and probably Bottineau/Dunseith and TM out east. The Surrey/Sawyer coop is another to watch, but perhaps more for a dissolution as I don't think Surrey would want to move up.

Sorry, my reckless speculation tends to focus more on the Minot area with my comments since I'm more familiar with those schools.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:26 pm

Class B wrote:What's done is now done, I guess. So the fun griping now goes to Region placement...

I wish they would have addressed the "unbalanced" NE vs. NW region in Division A. 6 teams is too little and 9 teams are too much (especially when there's 6 teams in the other region). This makes the case that travel will be a nightmare under the new plan (shoot! I thought I was done griping about it...)

I think there's a couple Co-op scenarios that might change that. Max boys could end up joining South Prairie (like they already do for girls) which moved SP up and puts a 10th team in that NW region. Also... Drake/Anamoose might be a question mark too. They are down to just a varsity team and I'm not sure what sort of numbers follow. They could join up with Velva or Harvey... putting either both of them up a division.

One... and definitely both... of these scenarios pushes Rugby and probably Bottineau/Dunseith and TM out east. The Surrey/Sawyer coop is another to watch, but perhaps more for a dissolution as I don't think Surrey would want to move up.

Sorry, my reckless speculation tends to focus more on the Minot area with my comments since I'm more familiar with those schools.

or does SP drop Max and W-L drop Hankinson in Girls to avoid being in the middle class?

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby bison football73 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:36 pm

WalkingStick wrote:
Class B wrote:What's done is now done, I guess. So the fun griping now goes to Region placement...

or does SP drop Max and W-L drop Hankinson in Girls to avoid being in the middle class?

This is almost guaranteed what will happen.
bison football73
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flip » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:45 pm

I don't know how serious it is, but I've heard rumblings about the HCV coop. I've always thought that relationship was rock solid and in the end, they may never have serious talks of breaking apart.
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Class B » Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:47 pm

bison football73 wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:

This is almost guaranteed what will happen.

Sure it could. If that becomes a habit of the membership, the NDHSAA will certainly have to address that as one of their first "tweaks".... and, IMO, the early answer to that is to raise the 162.5 threshold to get the B's down to Class B...and coops can thrive.

The plan approved this morning will do nothing to gain more teams (i.e. misses the point of why there's declining participation in small rural towns) and does nothing to promote coops... so teams struggling to field a varsity team without pulling up their entire 7th grade roster will have no place to go.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby UNDSiouxfan » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:39 pm

It seems that many of the naysayers on here have an attitude of "Us against Devils Lake."

Being originally from Devils Lake, I can tell you that during my time there, under no circumstances would we wanted to be in any level but the top class. And, I'd go on a limb to say that the majority of people that want DL out of AA are from Fargo, because they don't like making that trip. DL people never minded the trip to Fargo, yes it made for some long nights but it also made for great times on bus trips. Now, that was 25-30 years ago.

People from DL today are probably 1/2 & 1/2 on this plan. Travel will be much better, and they will still be able to regularly schedule AA teams like Grand Forks, which are much closer geographically. The truth is they're the main team that's stuck in a bad spot. Watford City has higher enrollment, but they've never been able to compete in AA. DL can compete, WC needs to be down. Maybe there can be some consideration for DL to opt up or down based on their talent level for a 2-3 year period? I understand the points made by the Tommies, their argument makes perfect sense but again DL is not wanted by a lot of AA schools (especially Fargo.)

The focus of this debate shouldn't be on who's predicted to win the championship each year. The focus needs to be on the small schools having that opportunity to compete against schools of similar size. 3 classes being created for the purpose of better competition across the entire state, based on enrollment/other factors. I commend the NDHSAA for finally taking this step. Thanks for putting in the work, and I for one have been very critical of the NDHSAA over the years.

One last point. The big B will be back! Time will tell, but I truly believe that attendance will be through the roof at the 2023-2024 State B. In fact, I see attendance being high at all 3 tournaments.
UNDSiouxfan
NDPreps All-Conference

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:28 am

They’ll be high with two tourneys at the same time??
Several neutral fans will now have to choose one or the other instead of attending all

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby theboss » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:27 am

Does anyone know what the schedule will look like for class b schools? Playing District opponents and then can fill the rest of schedule with non district opponents? Out of state opponents? Class A opponents that are geographically closer for travel?
theboss
NDPreps Rookie

Postby maddog1971 » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:35 am

I am just excited to watch all the new players and teams coming back because they don't have to play the Class A schools. Class B will be awesome when you have the same 6 teams in the tournament every year. But now the small Class A schools will lose their programs because nobody will want to play because they are getting beat all the time by the AA schools playing in A.
Same problem just moved the problem to different schools. Four years from now everyone will be complaining about MPCG being in the tournament to much and they need to move to A.
maddog1971
NDPreps All-State

Postby Class B » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:51 am

UNDSiouxfan wrote:It seems that many of the naysayers on here have an attitude of "Us against Devils Lake."

Being originally from Devils Lake, I can tell you that during my time there, under no circumstances would we wanted to be in any level but the top class. And, I'd go on a limb to say that the majority of people that want DL out of AA are from Fargo, because they don't like making that trip. DL people never minded the trip to Fargo, yes it made for some long nights but it also made for great times on bus trips. Now, that was 25-30 years ago.

People from DL today are probably 1/2 & 1/2 on this plan. Travel will be much better, and they will still be able to regularly schedule AA teams like Grand Forks, which are much closer geographically. The truth is they're the main team that's stuck in a bad spot. Watford City has higher enrollment, but they've never been able to compete in AA. DL can compete, WC needs to be down. Maybe there can be some consideration for DL to opt up or down based on their talent level for a 2-3 year period? I understand the points made by the Tommies, their argument makes perfect sense but again DL is not wanted by a lot of AA schools (especially Fargo.)

The focus of this debate shouldn't be on who's predicted to win the championship each year. The focus needs to be on the small schools having that opportunity to compete against schools of similar size. 3 classes being created for the purpose of better competition across the entire state, based on enrollment/other factors. I commend the NDHSAA for finally taking this step. Thanks for putting in the work, and I for one have been very critical of the NDHSAA over the years.

One last point. The big B will be back! Time will tell, but I truly believe that attendance will be through the roof at the 2023-2024 State B. In fact, I see attendance being high at all 3 tournaments.

Could be a decent rivalry established between Devils Lake and Rugby.. provided Rugby continues to pound out the participation numbers they have enjoyed thus far... and, you know... goes out east where they should be.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby Class B » Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:56 am

maddog1971 wrote:I am just excited to watch all the new players and teams coming back because they don't have to play the Class A schools. Class B will be awesome when you have the same 6 teams in the tournament every year. But now the small Class A schools will lose their programs because nobody will want to play because they are getting beat all the time by the AA schools playing in A.
Same problem just moved the problem to different schools. Four years from now everyone will be complaining about MPCG being in the tournament to much and they need to move to A.

Plenty of truth to this.
Class B
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:08 am

theboss wrote:Does anyone know what the schedule will look like for class b schools? Playing District opponents and then can fill the rest of schedule with non district opponents? Out of state opponents? Class A opponents that are geographically closer for travel?

They left scheduling up to the districts. I'm going to guess that some district teams will play twice to cut down on travel and help fill non-district/region game slots

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:15 pm

WalkingStick wrote:They’ll be high with two tourneys at the same time??
Several neutral fans will now have to choose one or the other instead of attending all

How many neutral or casual fans were going to all 3 State tournament weekends? Or even both Class B State tournaments? I personally don't think that number was very high.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby WalkingStick » Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:55 pm

Thundersnow wrote:
WalkingStick wrote:They’ll be high with two tourneys at the same time??

How many neutral or casual fans were going to all 3 State tournament weekends? Or even both Class B State tournaments? I personally don't think that number was very high.

I think you'd be amazed on the number of casual fans that attended games for fun.

I wonder, a little, if this will put some radio stations in a bind as well.

But I knew there would be no starting earlier or later changes so two at the same time was most likely to happen.

WalkingStick
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Flip » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:30 pm

maddog1971 wrote:I am just excited to watch all the new players and teams coming back because they don't have to play the Class A schools. Class B will be awesome when you have the same 6 teams in the tournament every year. But now the small Class A schools will lose their programs because nobody will want to play because they are getting beat all the time by the AA schools playing in A.

So what is the fix?
Flip
NDPreps Legend

Postby Attack the Process » Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:33 pm

There is some truth to what you are saying, but I don't think it will be as bad as you make it out to be. One factor that I think will be key to that is the plan's idea of a committee being created to monitor each division's competitiveness. They say that the committee will be the deciding factor after the first two years on which teams should be playing in which divisions. I am curious to see how that pans out. I wish they would have had the success/non-success factors in the plan so everyone knew from the beginning what to look for.

Attack the Process
NDPreps Starter

Postby heimer » Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:12 am

Talked to one Class AA coach in the EDC last night. Schedule already complete, finding four new opponents and keeping a Class A team on their schedule that they are losing.

Talked to a B coach changing regions. Two games left to fix up.

This narrative that ADs are being put through the ringer on this seems to be a narrative of choice. It would appear that coaches are taking an active role and admins have been working ahead to get in front of it.

If you didn't do that, it's not the vote that put you in a corner.
God is bigger than football.
heimer
NDPreps All-State

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:58 pm

heimer wrote:Talked to one Class AA coach in the EDC last night. Schedule already complete, finding four new opponents and keeping a Class A team on their schedule that they are losing.

This narrative that ADs are being put through the ringer on this seems to be a narrative of choice. It would appear that coaches are taking an active role and admins have been working ahead to get in front of it.

To me, the most fascinating schedules to see will be for the teams in the new Class A.

Class AA teams will largely keep their same schedules, just with the addition of closer Class A games for the weaker programs and cross-conference games or out-of-state games for the traditional powerhouses.

Class B teams can keep most of their schedules intact too, with the best teams challenging themselves with some Class A games.

Class A will be interesting to me. What do New Town, Lisbon, Heart River and Nedrose do? Mostly Class B opponents mixed with their required Region games?
How about Devils Lake, Turtle Mountain, Valley City and Wahpeton? Do they keep games against the Grand Forks, Jamestown and/or Fargo schools? Or do they prioritize geography over challenging themselves against Class AA?

I don't feel bad for ADs, it's their jobs to fill out schedules. But I will acknowledge that their jobs have gotten a little more difficult with this new system. I'm excited for the change and to see what everyone's schedule looks like for next season.
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby packers21 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:29 pm

Thundersnow wrote:
heimer wrote:Talked to one Class AA coach in the EDC last night. Schedule already complete, finding four new opponents and keeping a Class A team on their schedule that they are losing.

To me, the most fascinating schedules to see will be for the teams in the new Class A.

Class AA teams will largely keep their same schedules, just with the addition of closer Class A games for the weaker programs and cross-conference games or out-of-state games for the traditional powerhouses.

Class B teams can keep most of their schedules intact too, with the best teams challenging themselves with some Class A games.

Class A will be interesting to me. What do New Town, Lisbon, Heart River and Nedrose do? Mostly Class B opponents mixed with their required Region games?
How about Devils Lake, Turtle Mountain, Valley City and Wahpeton? Do they keep games against the Grand Forks, Jamestown and/or Fargo schools? Or do they prioritize geography over challenging themselves against Class AA?

I don't feel bad for ADs, it's their jobs to fill out schedules. But I will acknowledge that their jobs have gotten a little more difficult with this new system. I'm excited for the change and to see what everyone's schedule looks like for next season.

Just a couple of clueless dudes talking about things they don’t understand. Next rounds on me.
It is a little harder to motivate kids I guess because they’ve been pampered so much. We’re in the trophy generation, give ‘em a trophy for 23rd place, make ‘em feel good. Make mom and dad feel good.” Tom Izzo, Michigan State Basketball
packers21
NDPreps Hall of Fame

Postby Thundersnow » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:36 pm

Packers21, thanks for the compliment. Since we are so clueless, unintelligent dudes who don't understand basketball schedules, can you enlighten us? Do you know what everybody's schedules are for next year?
Thundersnow
NDPreps Starter

Postby BasketballMind » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:52 pm

Any critique or examples to the contrary aren't worth the time it takes to type them. Anecdotal evidence by talking to two coaches is just that. That's what happens when you rush something like this through to get brownie points on the internet.

Edit: My bad, I guess this was a critique.
BasketballMind
NDPreps All-State

Postby Flying Wallenda » Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:09 pm

packers21 wrote:
Thundersnow wrote:

Just a couple of clueless dudes talking about things they don’t understand. Next rounds on me.

I actually LOL at this........
Flying Wallenda
NDPreps All-State

PreviousNext

Return to Boys